• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

When I try to load it it tells me my fw is unsupported. I looked on the gbatemp thread it says do not update to 11 fw since he stopped developing it or something.
I tried 3.2 and the 3.4 builds and neither work. Im on fw 11.1.0

See if you can find the shadowtrance version for bootntr

ED Cantu

You can't do a full NANDbackup before downgrading from 11.X to 10.X , the access isn't there (I suspect you probably could but dumping 1 - 2 GIG at DSi SD card write speeds would probably make you wish you couldn't anyway). You should be able to do a NANDbackup before downgrading from 10.X to 9.2 though I can't say I personally remember doing this.

If you need an NNID linked (in order to do a DSiware / Steelhax transfer due to being on 11.0/11.1) you won't have any choice, as you'll be forced to link it by the System Transfer.

Thanks for the answer, I'm actually on 10.7 and I've been searching about making a nand backup before downgrading but I haven't found anything about it.

Ok I think I got it figured out. I tried Bootntr selector by Nanquitas and it's working now. For some reason I had to dl it from the post thread on gba temp since the one from github wasnt working.

See if you can find the shadowtrance version for bootntr

Tbh I wasnt sure what version I was using or by who but I think I got it now so thanks.

Thanks for the answer, I'm actually on 10.7 and I've been searching about making a nand backup before downgrading but I haven't found anything about it.

When you use a secondary entry point to launch the HBL you should be able to launch decrypt9 and do a NAND backup before the downgrade to 9.2 I think.

After buying a powersaves device I've successfully installed CFW onto my spare 3DS without a hitch. I'm glad that's over.

Now to use it to hack my primary 3DS, and man that list of steps is long D: I hope it's worth it in the end...

milkham

I've got an old 3dsXL on firmware 9.9.0-26u and have a copy of cubic ninja here somewhere. is installing the hax worthwhile on an older system? As far as I know i'd get the ability to go region free, though i'm not sure what I'd actually pick up to play, but emulators and other homebrew software don't run as well on the old hardware. what else would i be able to do or not do on this system?

ED Cantu

When you use a secondary entry point to launch the HBL you should be able to launch decrypt9 and do a NAND backup before the downgrade to 9.2 I think.

Ok, I followed this guide: Guide Link
And everything was going fine until I got to this point:
Section IV - Restoring the System
1. If you are an Old 3DS or 2DS user who has done 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, do the following:
Copy NANDmin.bin to the /files9/ folder on your SD card

2. Update your 3DS again by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
Yes this is safe, stop asking about it.
If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”
If this still gives you an error and your NAND is below 9.2.0, follow 9.2.0 ctrtransfer

When I try to update it gives me an error every time, I changed the DNS settings to auto but it still gives me an error and my NAND backup is the one I did from following this guide so I don't know what could be wrong and what can I do to update.

Can I update from a game cart? will it be safe to do that? or do I do the 9.2.0 ctrtransfer step from the guide?

When I try to update it gives me an error every time, I changed the DNS settings to auto but it still gives me an error and my NAND backup is the one I did from following this guide so I don't know what could be wrong and what can I do to update.

Can I update from a game cart? will it be safe to do that? or do I do the 9.2.0 ctrtransfer step from the guide?

Generally speaking you don't want to update from carts. It stubs the browser which removes a potential HB entry point.

Doopliss

Make sure you're on the latest stable build of Luma3DS (6.5). And check that you didn't enable any developer features by mistake in Luma's config (hold select on boot).

I'm not sure what else could be preventing an update. You could ask in the IRC channel linked from the guide, there tend to be knowledgable people who can help you on there.

datsunzep

Fully modded now via sysnand on an old 3dsxl. Anyone know the easiest way to delete installed cia? Only way I see is to manually delete it via FBI. Read somewhere, don't know if this is accurate, that I shouldn't go to system settings/data management to delete them?

TriAceJP

Fully modded now via sysnand on an old 3dsxl. Anyone know the easiest way to delete installed cia? Only way I see is to manually delete it via FBI. Read somewhere, don't know if this is accurate, that I shouldn't go to system settings/data management to delete them?

You can totally go in system menu and delete it. I'm assuming it's a game?

Alec

After you install the CIA, you'll have what's installed on the system AS WELL as the original CIA file that you used to install it.

To delete the CIA file, you can do it through FBI, FTP, etc.

To delete the data that has been installed to the system, you can do it through System Settings as if you were deleting anything else.

Deleting the CIA does *not* delete the data that is installed to your system (and vice versa).

datsunzep

You can totally go in system menu and delete it. I'm assuming it's a game?
Yes, it's a game. There's so many different ways to mod the 3ds, it's hard to get clear guidelines of what you can and cannot do.

After you install the CIA, you'll have what's installed on the system AS WELL as the original CIA file that you used to install it.

To delete the CIA file, you can do it through FBI, FTP, etc.

To delete the data that has been installed to the system, you can do it through System Settings as if you were deleting anything else.

Yeah, I usually use the install and delete feature via FBI. However, I went in the Nintendo 3ds folder and deleted the game files manually, and when I went into the system settings there were 3 blank objects to delete. The game icon was still there until after reboot, and I had to reinstall FBI and hblauncher

Ultratech

Restore your NAND backup and run the update from that point. There's some weird bug with the old firmware that won't let you update properly. (It wouldn't work on my 2DS.)

If you're at that point, updating from 9.2 shouldn't affect anything. I got stuck on that step for a while too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
https://imgur.com/a/PLpd4

https://i.imgur.com/Vwwxulx.jpg

Hey guys, I've been using the httpwn bypass for months now on 11.1, I was just online earlier this week. Since yesterday, Thursday - this happens. It just hangs at this screens for five minutes, then it says that it will use a cached file.

When I try to use it , it doesnt work. It use hangs at the eShop screen indefinitely.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Doopliss

https://imgur.com/a/PLpd4

Hey guys, I've been using the httpwn bypass for months now on 11.1, I was just online earlier this week. Since yesterday, Thursday - this happens. It just hangs at this screens for five minutes, then it says that it will use a cached file.

When I try to use it , it doesnt work. It use hangs at the eShop screen indefinitely.

Anyone else having the same issue?
Some server is down or something. I found this which might help.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Thanks!

Yeah, I just read there on reddit that the servers are temporaily down for a couple of weeks. I wish there was a more realiable solution that didn't require an initial internet connection to bypass the eShop.

Oh well, I guess that's the how it goes in the Wild Wild West... the price you pay for Homebrew. I've been trying to follow this thread with CFW and everything and it makes no sense, all gibberish. I'm not a complete newbie to CFW, I was in with the PSP scene back in the day, and I have some understanding how it works. But this thread seems all over the place and I've read that it takes "hours" to get it installed.

It's all good, I just want my Retroarch emulators and I'm good. I'm currently using V*Hax as an entry point. It's still realiable, but yeah I wish I didn't have to use httpwn, which has worked perfectly... until now lol

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks!

Yeah, I just read there on reddit that the servers are temporaily down for a couple of weeks. I wish there was a more realiable solution that didn't require an initial internet connection to bypass the eShop.

Oh well, I guess that's the how it goes in the Wild Wild West... the price you pay for Homebrew. I've been trying to follow this thread with CFW and everything and it makes no sense, all gibberish. I'm not a complete newbie to CFW, I was in with the PSP scene back in the day, and I have some understanding how it works. But this thread seems all over the place and I've read that it takes "hours" to get it installed.

It's all good, I just want my Retroarch emulators and I'm good. I'm currently using V*Hax as an entry point. It's still realiable, but yeah I wish I didn't have to use httpwn, which has worked perfectly... until now lol
Seriously, look into A9HL on the 3dshacks reddit... It takes about an hour to setup now, and once it's done you won't ever have to bother with thinkering with stuff like that. You'll have a console that's as close to "official" as possible while also having the ability to install stuff to the home menu, region-free directly in the OS, etc.

Doopliss

Seriously, look into A9HL on the 3dshacks reddit... It takes about an hour to setup now, and once it's done you won't ever have to bother with thinkering with stuff like that. You'll have a console that's as close to "official" as possible while also having the ability to install stuff to the home menu, region-free directly in the OS, etc.
He said he's on 11.1 so he'd need another 3DS that already has custom firmware installed to set it up right now. But a new method is meant to be coming soon without that requirement.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
He said he's on 11.1 so he'd need another 3DS that already has custom firmware installed to set it up right now. But a new method is meant to be coming soon without that requirement.

Woops, nevermind. I skimmed through the post and missed that. :/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey guys I;m currently using Retroarch 1.3.3. NESTopia v.148 - it runs the games great, but sometimes when I close the lid, the system locks up after opening it. I've tried opening the menus before closing the lid, and that raises the success by like 50%, that when I close the lid, it will actually resume.

Is there a better build thats more stable when closing the lid?

Opa-Pa

I think anything executed via Homebrew Launcher is likely to crash if you close the 3DS, but you can prevent it by pressing the home button once any time after opening the HBL (including inside apps such as retroarch itself).

It used to be like this, at least. Not sure if it's still the case but I don't want to risk it because having to reboot is a pain, but yeah. Sometimes retroarch games will get the audio screwed up even with this tho, not sure if there's a fix for that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think anything executed via Homebrew Launcher is likely to crash if you close the 3DS, but you can prevent it by pressing the home button once any time after opening the HBL (including inside apps such as retroarch itself).

It used to be like this, at least. Not sure if it's still the case but I don't want to risk it because having to reboot is a pain, but yeah. Sometimes retroarch games will get the audio screwed up even with this tho, not sure if there's a fix for that.

Cool, I didn't know about the Home button thing! That's as good as a fix for me.

L.O.R.D

N3DS users,if you are planning to play Pokemon Sun and Moon,you should enable clock and cache from luma option,i heard there is serious frame drops problem when you do double battle or battle royal,especially battle royal.

edit:someone mentioned in gbatemp that won't do a thing.

maybe that explain why there is no 3D at all in the game,can the game be hacked to enable 3D?

ED Cantu

Restore your NAND backup and run the update from that point. There's some weird bug with the old firmware that won't let you update properly. (It wouldn't work on my 2DS.)

If you're at that point, updating from 9.2 shouldn't affect anything. I got stuck on that step for a while too.

Thanks, I finally was able to update, I think the guide was updated and I followed the new steps and it worked :)

Now I have a new question :p
Before doing all the process, instead of using my regular SD card where I have my saves, games and all that, I bought a new SD Card and used that one for setting up the Homebrew, now that I have finished I copied all the files from the original SD card to the new one, but when I turned on the 3DS none of the games showed up, why is that? what can I do to move all the content from the original SD card to the new one?

Doopliss

Thanks, I finally was able to update, I think the guide was updated and I followed the new steps and it worked :)

Now I have a new question :p
Before doing all the process, instead of using my regular SD card where I have my saves, games and all that, I bought a new SD Card and used that one for setting up the Homebrew, now that I have finished I copied all the files from the original SD card to the new one, but when I turned on the 3DS none of the games showed up, why is that? what can I do to move all the content from the original SD card to the new one?
Digital games and saves (stored in the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the SD card) are encrypted for each 'user' of the system. If you formatted at some point it will have created a new 'user' which cannot access the original data. You would need to restore a backup on the NAND from the original 'user' for the data to be usable again. Otherwise you'd have to redownload your digital games from the eshop and restore save backups which you hopefully made before wiping.

Copying data from one SD card to another normally works, but it won't if the 'user' has changed.

ED Cantu

Digital games and saves (stored in the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the SD card) are encrypted for each 'user' of the system. If you formatted at some point it will have created a new 'user' which cannot access the original data. You would need to restore a backup on the NAND from the original 'user' for the data to be usable again. Otherwise you'd have to redownload your digital games from the eshop and restore save backups which you hopefully made before wiping.

Copying data from one SD card to another normally works, but it won't if the 'user' has changed.

Thanks for the answer, but I didn't do a format of my system, I forgot to mention that if I put the original SD Card into the 3DS all my Games are there, but if I put the new SD card even after copying all the files and folders from the original the games don't show up.

I don't know how to fix this yet.

Thanks for the answer, but I didn't do a format of my system, I forgot to mention that if I put the original SD Card into the 3DS all my Games are there, but if I put the new SD card even after copying all the files and folders from the original the games don't show up.

I don't know how to fix this yet.

Is the new card formatted as FAT32 ? As long as you copy the entire 3DS folder without changing anything it should work fine so my best guess is that the 3DS can't read the card.

Doopliss

Is the new card formatted as FAT32 ? As long as you copy the entire 3DS folder without changing anything it should work fine so my best guess is that the 3DS can't read the card.
Maybe, but I don't think whatever homebrew he has set up would work if the card isn't formatted properly.

The important folder is called 'Nintendo 3DS' btw. The '3ds' folder is just used for homebrew apps.

Do we know what the likelihood is of upcoming Black Friday New 3DS Mario bundle having a low enough firmware to do Homebrew on?

I know Homebrew is always being updated, so if I just don't update the system it's somewhat likely that it will eventually get support, but it would still be great to be able to homebrew it right out of the box, since I'll use my New 3DS XL as my up to date system.

Do we know what the likelihood is of upcoming Black Friday New 3DS Mario bundle having a low enough firmware to do Homebrew on?

I know Homebrew is always being updated, so if I just don't update the system it's somewhat likely that it will eventually get support, but it would still be great to be able to homebrew it right out of the box, since I'll use my New 3DS XL as my up to date system.

It's likely going to be running 11.0.0+, since I doubt Nintendo is just selling old n3DS systems that were sitting in the warehouse. :(

Bummer. :(

But I'll still (try) to get one since I've wanted a black smaller New 3DS for a while. Hopefully sooner than later we'll get an 11.0.x homebrew method.

Well, there technically is a method but it relies on you either having the ability to install a hardmod to your 3DS or having access to a 3DS that has CFW installed. Regardless, it's best to play the waiting game and try not to update as best you can, for someone is working on a solution for those on 11.0.x.

IMACOMPUTA

Is it ok to update my 3ds via the update notification while on cfw? I have a9lhax on whatever the newest version before the latest update was.

Anything I gotta do after updating? This "update available" pop-up is getting annoying.

Is it ok to update my 3ds via the update notification while on cfw? I have a9lhax on whatever the newest version before the latest update was.

Anything I gotta do after updating? This "update available" pop-up is getting annoying.

Yes, its fine as long as you're on a9lh and using Luma (don't update sysNAND on Gateway ever though, at best you'll lose a9lh (on an o3DS) at worst you'll brick (guaranteed on a N3DS)).

Parshias7

Recently got my DSTwo Plus but am currently struggling with backing up DS games. Right now I have Wooddumper Slot 2 set up on it and am trying to get it to run through my EZFlash cart on my DS Lite, but I guess it just isn't recognizing anything. I have run GBAExploader off the slot 2 cart so it is not like its broken or anything. I hear hints that there's a backup tool that lets you work through a 3DS to get the backup on the SD card, but I don't know what that process is.

I don't even care about getting 3DS stuff running on this card, I just want to backup all my DS games so I can finally put all the boxes in storage. I saw a youtube video that had a DS slot 2 card that had space for a microSD card, which made me think that maybe I need that type of device, but don't know how to search for one. (the EZFlash stuff on amazon seems to be the microSD-less type I already have)

Recently got my DSTwo Plus but am currently struggling with backing up DS games. Right now I have Wooddumper Slot 2 set up on it and am trying to get it to run through my EZFlash cart on my DS Lite, but I guess it just isn't recognizing anything. I have run GBAExploader off the slot 2 cart so it is not like its broken or anything. I hear hints that there's a backup tool that lets you work through a 3DS to get the backup on the SD card, but I don't know what that process is.

I don't even care about getting 3DS stuff running on this card, I just want to backup all my DS games so I can finally put all the boxes in storage. I saw a youtube video that had a DS slot 2 card that had space for a microSD card, which made me think that maybe I need that type of device, but don't know how to search for one. (the EZFlash stuff on amazon seems to be the microSD-less type I already have)

Can't you backup NDS cards with Hourglass9 using the Gamecart Dumper option ? I seem to recall the first 2 options in that menu work for NDS carts. I don't have a card handy to test but give it a shot?

Parshias7

Can't you backup NDS cards with Hourglass9 using the Gamecart Dumper option ? I seem to recall the first 2 options in that menu work for NDS carts. I don't have a card handy to test but give it a shot?

I don't have custom firmware installed on my 3DS and I don't plan to. I'm only posting in this topic because the DS homebrew topic is long since dead.

I don't have custom firmware installed on my 3DS and I don't plan to. I'm only posting in this topic because the DS homebrew topic is long since dead.

First check the Battery is still alive in your ez flash (run a GBA game from the DSTwo and check if the save ends up copied back okay). They have a limited life span.

Parshias7

First check the Battery is still alive in your ez flash (run a GBA game from the DSTwo and check if the save ends up copied back okay). They have a limited life span.

So I might have found the problem, but I can't find information on how to solve it. My EZFlash definitely still works, but it has a ROM already on it. I've had this for a while and I guess the last time I used it (3 years ago or something) I put a GBA ROM into it. So I can pick slot 2 when I boot up my DS Lite and it'll go straight into the game without having to go through the slot 1 flashcart. So I guess my question is... how do I get the ROM out of the EZFlash so I can use it to backup a DS game?

Sagitario

No. You still need to do a hard mod.

Or a second 3DS with CFW already (https://plailect.github.io/Guide/dsiware-downgrade)

But:
A4J4lXh.png

I wonder when we can expect a release date (or more news) about that.

So I might have found the problem, but I can't find information on how to solve it. My EZFlash definitely still works, but it has a ROM already on it. I've had this for a while and I guess the last time I used it (3 years ago or something) I put a GBA ROM into it. So I can pick slot 2 when I boot up my DS Lite and it'll go straight into the game without having to go through the slot 1 flashcart. So I guess my question is... how do I get the ROM out of the EZFlash so I can use it to backup a DS game?

There's 2 types of flash on that type of card, temporary fast write used for small games (and that clears after reboot) and semi-permanent. The NDS Dumper should Auto clear the EZFlash, if it doesn't, there should also be an option to clear it , in the settings for that slot in the DSTwo. I apologise for not being more precise, I didn't use that exact type of card so I don't know where the option will be exactly.

Opa-Pa

Or a second 3DS with CFW already (https://plailect.github.io/Guide/dsiware-downgrade)

But:
A4J4lXh.png

I wonder when we can expect a release date (or more news) about that.

Sorry if this is a silly question but this includes 11.0.0-33, right? Been stuck in there for a while and I'd love to finally have cfw.

Am waiting for this as well, can't play MHGen online atm which sucks.

Because you're stuck with 11.0.0? Have you tried ctr-httpwn? It enables full online functionalities without updating.

Top Bottom