• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Is this a hack that will need an exploitable game (like Zelda 4 swords dsi ware which I have on my n3DS XL) to install?

If so, is it possible to system transfer from my 11.2 n3DS XL to my 11.0 new n3DS regular without updating my new one?

If not, I'm not sure how I'm suppose to get an exploitable game onto the system when I don't have eShop access. Unless there are still physical games with exploits I could get (that aren't overly expensive).

It will still need some kind of entry point for sure, it just doesn't need a DSiWare game (transferring the DSiWare with an exploited save is why you need a pre-hacked 3DS).

Its possible to get access to the ehsop / perform system transfers using httpwn. Legends of Exodia and Subwars are still available I believe.

I tried looking through this thread, and couldn't find anyone else with this issue, or really anyone using this exploit.

Is there a good guide/troubleshooting place someone could link me?

Try google

For 99.5% of technical problems I find solution among the links in the first page of google search results. Might need to adjust the query terms once or twice, but it shouldn't be hard. Example

How many times did you try? Exploits randomly fail to work sometimes.

Probably at least 10 times now. Every time it happens the same way. The Smash exploit goes smooth, but when I tried to use that Stickerhax one from the Homebrew Launcher, it always flashes the same colors, and then stops on yellow.

Probably at least 10 times now. Every time it happens the same way. The Smash exploit goes smooth, but when I tried to use that Stickerhax one from the Homebrew Launcher, it always flashes the same colors, and then stops on yellow.

What are you trying to do exactly ? It sound like you're trying to launch a StickerHax installer from the HBL and the installer goes to a yellow screen rather than launches ? Is that right ?

So I just bought a n3DS on Black Friday, and just like everyone else, it has firmware 11.0.0-33u. My goal is to be able to dump all my carts to this unit and not have to bring any carts around with me. This is my fourth 3ds, so I have some hardware and software to help me do the CFW installation. I've been looking at this site to figure out how to do it, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. First, is what I want to do even possible?
2. My plan is to hack my 3DS XL that has 9.6.0 to have CFW then use it to hack my n3DS, good plan?
3. After I hack my 3DS XL, I will need to buy an eShop game to exploit, how do I do this if my 3DS XL is on 9.2? Can I upgrade to 11.2.0 safely?
4. Looks like the guide will get me to downgrade my n3DS to 10.4, I thought 9.2 was required to dump games. What am I missing? Can I just follow the steps to go from 10.4 to 9.2 on the guide linked above?

Excuse me for not keeping up with the thread but I have a couple questions.

1. Last time I did anything homebrew related I installed menuhax on 9.2 and set up emunand, all this on an OG 3ds, also I have ironfall and ocarina entrypoints, is there anything advantageous I should be doing now?

2. I have my emunand running on latest fw with CakesFW, cakes doesn't seem to be updated anymore so if I switch my hack entrypoint or my CFW will I be able to use the same emunand and keep everything as it is?

To be honest I don't have much use for homebrew, regionfree and rom hacks are good but I haven't been playing a lot on my 3ds lately.

sonto340

Excuse me for not keeping up with the thread but I have a couple questions.

1. Last time I did anything homebrew related I installed menuhax on 9.2 and set up emunand, all this on an OG 3ds, also I have ironfall and ocarina entrypoints, is there anything advantageous I should be doing now?

2. I have my emunand running on latest fw with CakesFW, cakes doesn't seem to be updated anymore so if I switch my hack entrypoint or my CFW will I be able to use the same emunand and keep everything as it is?

To be honest I don't have much use for homebrew, regionfree and rom hacks are good but I haven't been playing a lot on my 3ds lately.
A9LH has changed everything. If you're on 9.2 most of the heavy lifting is already done for you.
A9LH is essentially a way to boot into CFW sysnand mere milliseconds slower than a regular 3DS boot time. You can update to the latest version and play online and access the eshop as if there were no hacks installed. I highly recommend it.

It's fairly simple and if you follow the steps at this wonderful guideand have an hour or two to set aside to throw on some tv and occasionally move files back and forth it's a mostly painless procedure. I actually just managed to install A9LH on two 3dses this morning. One on a 9.2 og3ds that was running RXTools and then one on my Black Friday new 3ds. All in the span of about three hours for both.

Do note there's a specific bit at the end of the installation about transferring your emunand to the sysnand of the console that's a little bit hidden after the guide itself.

So I just bought a n3DS on Black Friday, and just like everyone else, it has firmware 11.0.0-33u. My goal is to be able to dump all my carts to this unit and not have to bring any carts around with me. This is my fourth 3ds, so I have some hardware and software to help me do the CFW installation. I've been looking at this site to figure out how to do it, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. First, is what I want to do even possible?
2. My plan is to hack my 3DS XL that has 9.6.0 to have CFW then use it to hack my n3DS, good plan?
3. After I hack my 3DS XL, I will need to buy an eShop game to exploit, how do I do this if my 3DS XL is on 9.2? Can I upgrade to 11.2.0 safely?
4. Looks like the guide will get me to downgrade my n3DS to 10.4, I thought 9.2 was required to dump games. What am I missing? Can I just follow the steps to go from 10.4 to 9.2 on the guide linked above?

1. It's possible. You can use Hourglass9 to dump your carts into installable cias after you're the whole guide. Then use JKSM to backup your cartridge saves and transfer them.
2. Yup.
3. Once a9lh is installed, you can safely update and have regular access to the eShop.
4. You'll downgrade to 9.2 later in the guide. Just keep following it.

What's the best way to transfer from an o3DS to an a9hl'd n3DS? They're both Japanese BTW, though I doubt that makes a difference.

Sicnce they are the same region: If the o3ds is a9lhed or can be (do that if so) or you don't care a out updating it to 11.2 , update both to latest FW and then just do a normal system transfer, except you'll need to copy the contents of the SD to a micro SD via PC when you'd normally swap them.

AkumaNiko

Partial downgrade, error during downgrade. Now system wont boot w/ sd card in
If i take the SD card out, i get an error and told to reboot. If i keep it in, screen goes black. Any ideas? I tried getting to browser hack again but it keeps giving me the update nag. If i put the OG sd card from the 3ds in it boots right up

Sicnce they are the same region: If the o3ds is a9lhed or can be (do that if so) or you don't care a out updating it to 11.2 , update both to latest FW and then just do a normal system transfer, except you'll need to copy the contents of the SD to a micro SD via PC when you'd normally swap them.
Ended up doing that earlier but thanks anyways. <3

omg Medabot 9 doesn't run like a piece of shit anymore holy shit WORTH IT

Partial downgrade, error during downgrade. Now system wont boot w/ sd card in
If i take the SD card out, i get an error and told to reboot. If i keep it in, screen goes black. Any ideas? I tried getting to browser hack again but it keeps giving me the update nag. If i put the OG sd card from the 3ds in it boots right up

What version where you on initially and what version where you Downgradjng too ? Do you have any exploit methods other than BrowserHax available ? And it sounds like you can boot with certain SD cards in ? I'd run the one giving you problems booting through a sector test, its likely the card was corrupted which is why you got a partial downgrade.

AkumaNiko

What version where you on initially and what version where you Downgradjng too ? Do you have any exploit methods other than BrowserHax available ? And it sounds like you can boot with certain SD cards in ? I'd run the one giving you problems booting through a sector test, its likely the card was corrupted which is why you got a partial downgrade.

Ok so what i did to make that sd card work was delete a menu setting from the SD card. Loaded ok. Then i figured out why i was getting the browser nag, date was set to 2011 and not 2000. I just reinstalled hax and i started the downgrade back up.

It just finished and rebooted. i think im golden! crisis averted!

Ok so what i did to make that sd card work was delete a menu setting from the SD card. Loaded ok. Then i figured out why i was getting the browser nag, date was set to 2011 and not 2000. I just reinstalled hax and i started the downgrade back up.

It just finished and rebooted. i think im golden! crisis averted!

Sounds like you forgot to uninstall menuhax before downgrading. If anyone else has that problem it can be worked around by booting without the SD card and installing it again later.

I prepped my friends' black Friday 3DSes for slowhax using my copy of cubic ninja. Are there any methods I can set up for them to access the homebrew launcher and ctr-httpwn so they can buy games from the eshop without updating without needing to use my cubic ninja cart?

AkumaNiko

I prepped my friends' black Friday 3DSes for slowhax using my copy of cubic ninja. Are there any methods I can set up for them to access the homebrew launcher and ctr-httpwn so they can buy games from the eshop without updating without needing to use my cubic ninja cart?

i think you can downgrade their 3ds using your 3ds as long as you have a n3ds

Not unless they have an exploitable game already or are willing to buy one in between, if they do you can use use cart to install the exploit.

i think you can downgrade their 3ds using your 3ds as long as you have a n3ds

Sort of. You lose everything on the unhacked 3ds since it receives a system transfer. You can use the jksm 3dsx version and memory adjusted HBL to backup saves first but it doesn't work for all games and any eshop games will have to be redownloaded after. You also lose the use of the original hacked 3ds for a week while waiting for the system transfer to be available again. It's doable but a bit of a PITA.

AkumaNiko

another question, im on the 2.1.0 ctrtransfer portion of the overall process and i only see files for o3ds - 2ds but i dont see files for the new 3ds. Do i use the US version of the o3ds/2ds version? And it says if i do 2.1 on a n3ds not to ever put it in sleep mode, should i save this part for tomorrow when i have time to finish al9h?

Hey guys. I haven't played with homebrew on my New 3DS in like 1½ years, anything particularly cool I ought to try?

I'm on the latest firmware (and intend to stay there), but I own Cubic Ninja.

Hey guys. I haven't played with homebrew on my New 3DS in like 1½ years, anything particularly cool I ought to try?

I'm on the latest firmware (and intend to stay there), but I own Cubic Ninja.

If you're on the latest FW on sysNAND (without a9lh) , you're pretty much locked out of all the cool stuff over the past year or so. Homebrew access is very restricted, probably the most interesting thing would be the 3dsx release of jksm which lets you backup 3ds save games.

ty_hot

anyone that still uses emunand should move to the a9lh luma hack, it is soooo much better. it takes some 20-30 minutes to read carefuly the instructions (basically copy files to the sd card) and you are done, very easy to do.

Lazaro

Is your 3DS using the latest firmware? There seems to be issues installing it on 11.2 firmware.

https://github.com/yellows8/stickerhax/issues/7

https://gbatemp.net/threads/stickerhax-installer-yellow-screen-when-entering-app.447278/

I have my main O3DS XL running cfw 11.2 with a9lh+luma and just bought a new 3DS with latest firmware running 11.2. I have a copy of LoE prepared for NFIRM downgrade and both Steelhax and Stickerhax for homebrew entry. Now both Steel Diver and Sticler Star are digital copies, so I'm not sure if they will work on new 3DS after system transfer. Steel Diver also has a success rate of like 1/10 for some reason so I'd much prefer Stickerhax. Anyone done system transfer like this and retained their access to homebrew on new 3DS?

I have my main O3DS XL running cfw 11.2 with a9lh+luma and just bought a new 3DS with latest firmware running 11.2. I have a copy of LoE prepared for NFIRM downgrade and both Steelhax and Stickerhax for homebrew entry. Now both Steel Diver and Sticler Star are digital copies, so I'm not sure if they will work on new 3DS after system transfer. Steel Diver also has a success rate of like 1/10 for some reason so I'd much prefer Stickerhax. Anyone done system transfer like this and retained their access to homebrew on new 3DS?

They should work. The point of the system transfer is to move everything to the new system, including all digital games/licenses, as long as they are legit copies downloaded from the official eshop.

n64coder

Did Nintendo always have a seven day waiting period for system transfers or was that something recently instituted because of the hacks?

womp

anyone that still uses emunand should move to the a9lh luma hack, it is soooo much better. it takes some 20-30 minutes to read carefuly the instructions (basically copy files to the sd card) and you are done, very easy to do.

I use Menuhax/Luma and have yet to see a reason to bother with it yet myself. Speedier boot times mean nothing when I haven't rebooted my system in a month or more thanks to sleep mode and that is the big benefit most people cite. Things are running great already and I do not want to jinx it. :)

I would like to get some GBA stuff going but I don't want to dick with my sysnand.

A9LH has changed everything. If you're on 9.2 most of the heavy lifting is already done for you.
A9LH is essentially a way to boot into CFW sysnand mere milliseconds slower than a regular 3DS boot time. You can update to the latest version and play online and access the eshop as if there were no hacks installed. I highly recommend it.

It's fairly simple and if you follow the steps at this wonderful guideand have an hour or two to set aside to throw on some tv and occasionally move files back and forth it's a mostly painless procedure. I actually just managed to install A9LH on two 3dses this morning. One on a 9.2 og3ds that was running RXTools and then one on my Black Friday new 3ds. All in the span of about three hours for both.

Do note there's a specific bit at the end of the installation about transferring your emunand to the sysnand of the console that's a little bit hidden after the guide itself.

Thanks a lot, I'll get into it right away.

edit: I'm done, I didn't have any idea of what I was doing but following steps is easy enough.

1. It's possible. You can use Hourglass9 to dump your carts into installable cias after you're the whole guide. Then use JKSM to backup your cartridge saves and transfer them.
2. Yup.
3. Once a9lh is installed, you can safely update and have regular access to the eShop.
4. You'll downgrade to 9.2 later in the guide. Just keep following it.

First step and there's a problem... I'm trying to use the browserhax page from the guide but my 3DS XL keeps giving me an error instead of loading the homebrew launcher. I have the starter kit on my sd card. I reset the browser. Not sure what is happening.

The site makes it sound like my 3DS XL isn't supported anymore. I have it on 9.6.0-26u. Is browserhax dead? What am I missing here?

Don't really want to have to buy the save game reader thing to do oot3dhax, but that's my next option I think.

UPDATE: Looks like the main site from the guide is down or they changed something. Used a mirror and it worked first time. Proceeding with the downgrade and CFW installation.

Kadin

Hey guys, haven't been here in a while and just need a nudge in the right direction. I'm currently on 9.2.0u as well as 11.0 via reinand. I'm thinking it's time to look into stepping this up to the latest and greatest with A9LH. I see the guide linked above by sonto340 and gave it a quick look. Would I simply choose the browser method for 9.2.0 or lower and follow all those steps or do I need to approach the guide differently since I'm already modified? I can hold down on the dpad to boot into 9.2.0 or let it boot without pressing to get into 11.0.

Advice on the best way to proceed?

Hey guys, haven't been here in a while and just need a nudge in the right direction. I'm currently on 9.2.0u as well as 11.0 via reinand. I'm thinking it's time to look into stepping this up to the latest and greatest with A9LH. I see the guide linked above by sonto340 and gave it a quick look. Would I simply choose the browser method for 9.2.0 or lower and follow all those steps or do I need to approach the guide differently since I'm already modified? I can hold down on the dpad to boot into 9.2.0 or let it boot without pressing to get into 11.0.

Yup, just follow the steps skipping anything you already have (make sure to uninstall MenuHax before downgrading too). Also dump your EmuNAND first as you'll probably want to use that as your SysNAND after.

Lazaro

The 9.2.0 browser hack guide will cover everything regrading your sysNAND/emuNAND setup. The 9.2.0 hack applies to sysnand (press down on dpad) but it will also help you move your emunand later on.

Once you reach "Section IV - Restoring the System" a link in the guide will explain to you how to move your EmuNAND content back to SysNAND.

Just follow the instructions and you'll come out fine.

I got a 11.0.0 N3DS and I want to do the DSiWare downgrade via system transfer from my A9LH New XL... I have all my carts dumped on the SD card of the XL and I don't need them to transfer over, so this is what I'm thinking of:

1. Backup NAND (and saves?) on A9LH New XL
2. Do all the guide steps and transfer to N3DS
3. Wait 1 week
4. Transfer back to XL
5. Restore NAND (and saves?)

Will that work and get me back my XL exactly to the way it was before the transfer?

I got a 11.0.0 N3DS and I want to do the DSiWare downgrade via system transfer from my A9LH New XL... I have all my carts dumped on the SD card of the XL and I don't need them to transfer over, so this is what I'm thinking of:

1. Backup NAND (and saves?) on A9LH New XL
2. Do all the guide steps and transfer to N3DS
3. Wait 1 week
4. Transfer back to XL
5. Restore NAND (and saves?)

Will that work and get me back my XL exactly to the way it was before the transfer?

If you do a do a full transfer you shouldn't really need to do a NAND restore on the hacked system, after you transfer back just using FBI to reinstall your CIA games should just reinstall the ticket and you should be good to pickup where you left off.

(Id still do the NAND backup to be safe of course).

If you do a do a full transfer you shouldn't really need to do a NAND restore on the hacked system, after you transfer back just using FBI to reinstall your CIA games should just reinstall the ticket and you should be good to pickup where you left off.

(Id still do the NAND backup to be safe of course).

Reinstalling the CIA games through FBI sounds like more of a hassle than doing a NAND restore?

b3b0p

2 questions for the field:

Related: I have a homebrewed Original 3DS

1. My original 3DS has the ambassador games on it's original 2 GB card. I bought a new card, it's got all the homebrew on it. How do I get my ambassador games moved over? I have searched online and not finding anything. I'm probably looking it up wrong.

2. If I get a "New Nintendo 3DS" that currently has a newer firmware, lets say 11.x my understanding is that if I have a homebrewed 3DS I can homebrew it as well. Since it's not a "New Nintendo 3DS" and it is an Original 3DS can I still do this?

Gentle fellow minions if this was information previously posted and I missed it some how.

2 questions for the field:

Related: I have a homebrewed Original 3DS

1. My original 3DS has the ambassador games on it's original 2 GB card. I bought a new card, it's got all the homebrew on it. How do I get my ambassador games moved over? I have searched online and not finding anything. I'm probably looking it up wrong.

2. If I get a "New Nintendo 3DS" that currently has a newer firmware, lets say 11.x my understanding is that if I have a homebrewed 3DS I can homebrew it as well. Since it's not a "New Nintendo 3DS" and it is an Original 3DS can I still do this?

Gentle fellow minions if this was information previously posted and I missed it some how.

1. Just copy all contents from the original card to the new one, I think. If the Ambassador games don't show up you should still be able to redownload them from the eShop for free.

2. Yes you can. But you need to have/buy a certain DSiWare game from the eShop to use an exploit, and for some regions those games have been pulled out from the eShop so unless you bought one previously you're out of luck. For the US only one game remains that you can still buy (Legend of Exidia)

womp

I may try to put A9LH on this extra 2DS I have laying around. I have it on 9.2 already and the peer pressure is getting to me. If it works out, perhaps I will do my main N3DS system as well.

Being able to play GBA on my N3DS IPS display would be pretty amazing. Thus far I've been stuck trying to get GBA stuff onto the sysnand...I tried running MiniPasta to get FBI installed onto it but FBI is giving me some weird 'syscore' error when I do so.

Top Bottom