• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Unicorn

What are the best homebrew or basic applications available? I may try to put homebrew on my 3DS, but I'm not really sure what's available outside region unlocking.

link removed - unsure if it's a download or just the English patch...

Oh fuck English patch for the one game I'd import. Guess I will homebrew regardless haha

Can i access JP eshop and English eshop with homebrew?

Unicorn

It's my understanding that this is just the first step. Someone else will need to take this and incorporate the dsiware hack installer to it.

The good thing is that slowhax is now just an hour for an old 3DS and something like 10 minutes for the new one.

I've yet to follow the guide because I don't have my new 3ds yet, but is this 10 minutes fresh out of the box, or is there prep I need to do, via using a system transfer or what?

randomkid

Question for all you friendly people, am I going to need some sort of "entrypoint" game when the new thing that allows you to downgrade from 11.1 comes out?

I'm asking because Ocarina of Time 3DS is part of this Best Buy sale happening right now so I want to know if I should buy it. I have several random DSiware games if that works, but it's kind of confusing to figure out what I need.

Ashhong

Just took a peek at all the homebrew stuff and I'm so damn confused. Will someone post a guide when whatever the hack that's supposed to enable the New 3DS to downgrade comes out? Is there something I need to do now before it comes out?

Doczu

What are the best homebrew or basic applications available? I may try to put homebrew on my 3DS, but I'm not really sure what's available outside region unlocking.

link removed - unsure if it's a download or just the English patch...

Oh fuck English patch for the one game I'd import. Guess I will homebrew regardless haha

Can i access JP eshop and English eshop with homebrew?

No, you can only access th one from yur region. Also all dlc and patches must be downloaded from warez sites and installed manually.

RRockman

Banned
It's happening.......

GVFbI3L.gif

I've been waiting for this!

Doczu

It does region unlock though? Planning on importing a JP game for a US DS.
Yes, region unlock works fine, and dumping your cart, patching and installing it on the sd card will be the easiest way to play the game. Just forget about legally gtting any dlc (if there is any).

randomkid

It's happening.......

GVFbI3L.gif

I've been waiting for this!

this ish is so inscrutable for someone who's never done this sort of thing before

I've got Four Swords on my old 3DS so I thought I was in the clear, but then there are a bunch of comments below saying they're getting a white screen or something and it doesn't work with that game.

Then there's this thread which seems to imply that I need to have a physical game no matter what and DSiware games alone aren't sufficient if you are on 11.1.0-34U

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/c...110_downgrade_using_mrrraous_waithax/db26etd/

so confusing.

RRockman

Banned
this ish is so inscrutable for someone who's never done this sort of thing before

I've got Four Swords on my old 3DS so I thought I was in the clear, but then there are a bunch of comments below saying they're getting a white screen or something and it doesn't work with that game.

Then there's this thread which seems to imply that I need to have a physical game no matter what and DSiware games alone aren't sufficient if you are on 11.1.0-34U

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/c...110_downgrade_using_mrrraous_waithax/db26etd/

so confusing.

In that case you should wait for Plailect's guide. He'll make it user friendly.

No, you can only access th one from yur region. Also all dlc and patches must be downloaded from warez sites and installed manually.

Not really... there is a homebrew replacement to the eshop that lets you download games and updates and DLC from all regions straight from Nintendo's servers. Not legally from different regions though.

honestly all this 3ds hacking shit is too confusing. I paid a guy to hardmod my 3ds for $45 and its the best choice I ever made. no risk of fucking anything up that way

Erheller

Got CFW on my Black Friday N3DS with the just-released waithax. I did have Legends of Exidia (DSiWare), but I think you can also buy and use a lot of cheaper $1.99 DSiWare. Time to clean up my SD card.

Now I need to figure out what I can do with this. When you dump carts, are you also able to get the save file from the cart?

so confusing.
if you already had a save in four swords you have to delete it and start fresh

if your on 11.1 there is one free homebrew entrypoint which is browserhax. It only works on N3DS so if you have a O3DS you have to buy a game to access homebrew
Got CFW on my Black Friday N3DS with the just-released waithax. I did have Legends of Exidia (DSiWare), but I think you can also buy and use a lot of cheaper $1.99 DSiWare. Time to clean up my SD card.

Now I need to figure out what I can do with this. When you dump carts, are you also able to get the save file from the cart?

you have to use a homebrew save manager or JKSM to get the save from the cart

Just took a peek at all the homebrew stuff and I'm so damn confused. Will someone post a guide when whatever the hack that's supposed to enable the New 3DS to downgrade comes out? Is there something I need to do now before it comes out?

so confusing.
There's an extreme amount of noise in those threads based on people that have no idea what they're doing. My understanding, as I just went through the process:

If you're on 11.0.0 or 11.1.0, you can take advantage of this release of Waithax IF you have legitimately purchased of the following DSiWare games:
Fieldrunners
Legends of Exidia
Guitar Rock Tour
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

If you have not, they are no longer purchasable on the eShop and you cannot take advantage of this.
If you are on 11.2.0, you cannot take advantage of this because this vulnerability has been patched already.

Regarding the white screen Four Swords issue, the person in that thread claims to have never started the game or created save data. I used Legends of Exidia and opened the game once to the title screen so that it initialized save data and all of the downgrades I have done so far have worked fine.

Also, after those 4 DSiWare games were removed, another method of downgrading called Sudokuhax popped up. AFAIK, this either only works with the system transfer downgrade method or will require someone to make a separate version of Waithax that allows you to use those games, but I've also seen someone say that the Sudokuhax games cannot be used with this vulnerability. As I said earlier, lots of noise, just sit tight if that's the method you want to pursue.

Ashhong

Did you follow instructions from that Reddit post? And you didn't need a second ds?

^

Thanks for that. I don't have any dsiware games so it looks like I have to keep waiting

randomkid

if you already had a save in four swords you have to delete it and start fresh

if your on 11.1 there is one free homebrew entrypoint which is browserhax. It only works on N3DS so if you have a O3DS you have to buy a game to access homebrew

Thanks, I never opened Four Swords and have no saves for it so I guess I'm good there, but if you're saying Four Swords won't work anyways on an OG 3DS with 11.1, then I guess I'll have to research what the cheapest game to buy would be.

Honestly though if there are people out there you can give forty bucks to in order to take care of everything I would definitely rather go that route haha.

Edit: Yeah Bob Dobalina I'm just gonna wait this out for another few weeks until someone writes up clear instructions in English and more people succeed at it.

Erheller

Thanks!

Did you follow instructions from that Reddit post? And you didn't need a second ds?

^

Thanks for that. I don't have any dsiware games so it looks like I have to keep waiting

Yep, I followed this reddit post and then I followed the 3ds.guide the rest of the way. The exploit took about an hour to execute.

Thanks, I never opened Four Swords and have no saves for it so I guess I'm good there, but if you're saying Four Swords won't work anyways on an OG 3DS with 11.1, then I guess I'll have to research what the cheapest game to buy would be.

Honestly though if there are people out there you can give forty bucks to in order to take care of everything I would definitely rather go that route haha.

Edit: Yeah Bob Dobalina I'm just gonna wait this out for another few weeks until someone writes up clear instructions in English and more people succeed at it.
NP. I'm going to be out all night today but when I get back home I have an O3DS with 4 swords to try this exploit with, I'll let you know how it goes.

Yep, I followed this reddit post and then I followed the 3ds.guide the rest of the way. The exploit took about an hour to execute.
I also used this guide. Once you hit Step 8 in this reddit thread and have successfully downgraded using Waithax, go immediately to Section VII - Backing up the target 3DS’s NFIRM in the linked guide from 3ds.guide.

EDIT:
The Four Swords issue may be caused by a bad folder: see here for correct files https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/5hstqo/what_do_you_do_when_you_launch_4_swords/db2targ/

Teppic

Take your SD/microSD card out of the 3DS and use a PC to check it for errors / corruption for your first step.
Thanks. I'll try that first. If I don't find anything I'll probably start with reseting everything. Something is clearly wrong with it, a 6,5 mb NES game took 3 minutes to install.

Although I've decided to wait a bit to mess with things as the 3DS do currently work and I'm feeling too tired to waste hours on it. I'm going to play through DQ7 and Phoenix Wright 6 first, don't want to risk missing out of those games in case something goes wrong.

Anybody know if there's a way to transfer files from PC to 3DS wirelessly? Would be cool to get around taking off the faceplate and moving the sd card.

Aeana

Anybody know if there's a way to transfer files from PC to 3DS wirelessly? Would be cool to get around taking off the faceplate and moving the sd card.

The New 3DS has that functionality built in. Go to settings and then to micro SD management, and then it'll become a device you can access on your local network.

Besides that, you can also use one of the several FTP server homebrew apps for 3DS and then connect to your 3DS via an FTP client.

The New 3DS has that functionality built in. Go to settings and then to micro SD management, and then it'll become a device you can access on your local network.

Besides that, you can also use one of the several FTP server homebrew apps for 3DS and then connect to your 3DS via an FTP client.
It's built-in?! How have I not heard that? Regardless, i'll be sure to look up those apps.

God, I feel like such an idiot.

randomkid

NP. I'm going to be out all night today but when I get back home I have an O3DS with 4 swords to try this exploit with, I'll let you know how it goes.

I also used this guide. Once you hit Step 8 in this reddit thread and have successfully downgraded using Waithax, go immediately to Section VII - Backing up the target 3DS’s NFIRM in the linked guide from 3ds.guide.

EDIT:
The Four Swords issue may be caused by a bad folder: see here for correct files https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/5hstqo/what_do_you_do_when_you_launch_4_swords/db2targ/

Cool! I'll wait a bit more to see what's up since I'm still confused despite reading through the link in the OP if I need to also buy a 3DS cart or if I am okay to do everything with just Four Swords on my OG 3DS.

Xbro

Okay so I have a 2DS with Four Swords on it, but it's on a different nnid from my current n3DS. Is there a way to transfer Four Swords over without getting rid of everything on my current nnid?

Talyn

So it's possible to downgrade from 11.0.0.33 to CFW now? I have an o3DS XL and a n3DS on that firmware. The o3DS has the HomeBrew Launcher available due to basichax and I also have the Anniversary Edition of the 4 Swords Adventure from the eShop installed on there. The n3DS was just bought on Black Friday and doesn't have anything installed but I should be able to access the Homebrew Launcher via browserhax, right? It's never been connected to the net so it hasn't had access blocked yet. I'm not in a hurry to downgrade either of these but I just want to know if I have everything I need to do so and if not, what would I need?

So it's possible to downgrade from 11.0.0.33 to CFW now? I have an o3DS XL and a n3DS on that firmware. The o3DS has the HomeBrew Launcher available due to basichax and I also have the Anniversary Edition of the 4 Swords Adventure from the eShop installed on there. The n3DS was just bought on Black Friday and doesn't have anything installed but I should be able to access the Homebrew Launcher via browserhax, right? It's never been connected to the net so it hasn't had access blocked yet. I'm not in a hurry to downgrade either of these but I just want to know if I have everything I need to do so and if not, what would I need?

the N3DS needs DSiWare and all 4 games that can do the exploit have been taken down. You have two options basically

1) Install waithax on the o3DS using the reddit guide along with 3ds.guide. Once completed you'll have CFW/A9LH on the o3DS. You can now follow this guide https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade to set up CFW/A9LH on the n3DS

2) If you dont care about the O3DS you can just do a system transfer to the N3DS. Follow section IV and V of this guide https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade. After that the N3DS will have four swords and you can use browserhax along with it to do waithax
Oh man, my time has finally come. Hell yes!

I have Shantae 2 and Four Swords, so I guess I'm good?

You need a way to enter homebrew launcher

n64coder

Cool! I'll wait a bit more to see what's up since I'm still confused despite reading through the link in the OP if I need to also buy a 3DS cart or if I am okay to do everything with just Four Swords on my OG 3DS.

Can you recap what you have? Do you have access to another 3DS that is hacked? If not, then you need to have some way to some way to bring up the homebrew (Freakyforms, Cubic Ninja, OOT /Power saves).

the N3DS needs DSiWare and all 4 games that can do the exploit have been taken down. You have two options basically

There are other DSiware games that can do the Sudokuhax. See the list here.

Can you recap what you have? Do you have access to another 3DS that is hacked? If not, then you need to have some way to some way to bring up the homebrew (Freakyforms, Cubic Ninja, OOT /Power saves).

There are other DSiware games that can do the Sudokuhax. See the list here.

with waithax only the original 4 games work

If you were planning on doing a system transfer from the XL to the black friday n3DS, I would first get CFW on your XL by using waithax with 4 swords, and then do a system transfer from the XL to the n3DS which will send 4 swords to that device, allowing you to make use of the waithax exploit on there as well. You can use ctr-httpwn from the homebrew launcher on the n3DS to do the system transfer without updating to 11.2 - you won't need to worry about this on the XL, as once you've installed CFW on it, one of the last steps is updating that device to 11.2, which is totally safe once the CFW is installed.

Also, there's no issues in doing system transfers between CFW and stock 3DSes, though if you have homebrew or illegally acquired titles they won't make the trip over.

n64coder

Once you have CFW installed as well as FBI, is it still useful to have the Homebrew Launcher? I noticed that on my system, the Homebrew Launcher starts and then freezes on a yellow screen. Not sure if I should bother figuring it out.

I have a CFW N3DS and a stock N3DS on 11. Also have OoT cart. I'm trying to figure out if I can downgrade the stock one without system transfer... would this work:

1. Setup OoT3DHax from CFW 3DS and use cart to run HBL on stock N3DS

2. Use http-pwn to access eShop on 11 and buy a DSiWare game for waithax

3. Do waithax on stock 3DS

?

Once you have CFW installed as well as FBI, is it still useful to have the Homebrew Launcher? I noticed that on my system, the Homebrew Launcher starts and then freezes on a yellow screen. Not sure if I should bother figuring it out.

HBL can be useful as there might be apps you'd like to use in the future that don't have a cia version to install via FBI. But depending on your needs you might not need it again. And if you do end up needing to run it you can figure it out then, shouldn't be hard.

Unicorn

Yes. You can't use the latest exploit (waithax aka slowhax) on 11.2

That has always been known long before the hack was released.

If you're on 11.2 you need a second CFW 3DS to do system transfer. Or hardmod.
Is wait/slowhax different than the OoT save exploit? Or is that exploit blocked by a firmware update?

Is wait/slowhax different than the OoT save exploit? Or is that exploit blocked by a firmware update?

Waithax is different than OoT hax.

OoT save exploit allows you to run the Homebrew launcher, but that's not enough to downgrade and install CFW. For that you need waithax, which can't be done on 11.2

OoT might allow you to run some Homebrew on 11.2, but it will be limited and cumbersome as you'll need to do the exploit every time. While as with CFW your system is open and customized from the moment you power it on, permanently.

randomkid

here.

Yes it took me forever to realize that Four Swords apparently isn't enough and I need something else to actually start the hack.

So since all I have is a single OG 3DS with 11.1 and an unopened Four Swords on it, if I understand correctly I need to get one of the three games you listed too? I looked on ebay and apparently all of those options unsurprisingly cost like $40-$50 to get.

I don't understand how this scene works but is it extremely unlikely that there will ever be another cheaper game that allows you to do what freakyforms/cubic ninja do?

I thought Ocarina of Time is cheap. It's $15 on Amazon... Selects version I assume, don't know if the exploit works on that one but I haven't seen the contrary mentioned anywhere.

randomkid

I thought Ocarina of Time is cheap. It's $15 on Amazon... Selects version I assume, don't know if the exploit works on that one but I haven't seen the contrary mentioned anywhere.

Apparently you need to buy something else that can create "power saves" though? I dunno, this is so hard haha.

stryke

I want to give installing CFW a go tonight but is there a guide I can follow if I want to revert back to OFW down the road?

Top Bottom