• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Does there happen to be anyone on GAF selling their services for adding CFW to devices? I just got a new 3DS XL and would like to homebrew it but seem I won't be able to unless I want to buy the tools and potentially risk damaging my device with a hardmod. I'd rather not do it myself however since I haven't soldered something in a very long time. I seem unable to do any of the soft method because I fail to meet the requirements of having an already modded 3DS, or have one of the dsiware titles.

Apology if this inquiry is disallowed.

I don't know of anyone here offering the service but you can go to /r/3dshacks as there's a thread listing people who can do it. Perhaps you can find someone local to you?

If it's the one that links to gbatemp I've seen it but there's only 2 listed for all of the US. I was planning on contacting one of them but he seems super busy at the moment. So in the meantime I figured I'd see if any gaffers were offering similar services.

I have a CFW N3DS and a stock N3DS on 11. Also have OoT cart. I'm trying to figure out if I can downgrade the stock one without system transfer... would this work:

1. Setup OoT3DHax from CFW 3DS and use cart to run HBL on stock N3DS

2. Use http-pwn to access eShop on 11 and buy a DSiWare game for waithax

3. Do waithax on stock 3DS

?

Anyone?

Another question: Does the one per week limit for system transfers apply to both devices in any direction? If I transferred between two devices, then I can't do another transfer from either of them to a 3rd device for one week?

n64coder

Anyone?

Another question: Does the one per week limit for system transfers apply to both devices in any direction? If I transferred between two devices, then I can't do another transfer from either of them to a 3rd device for one week?

I believe it applies to the NNID that is used. So if you transfer from source to destination using NNID A, then you need to wait a week to do a transfer with the destination 3DS.
But you can use NNID B to transfer another 3DS to the source.

I personally haven't tried this myself but this reddit thread seems to confirm this.

I don't know of anyone here offering the service but you can go to /r/3dshacks as there's a thread listing people who can do it. Perhaps you can find someone local to you?

They've now disallowed hardmod services on the sub and direct people towards GBATemp now.

If it's the one that links to gbatemp I've seen it but there's only 2 listed for all of the US. I was planning on contacting one of them but he seems super busy at the moment. So in the meantime I figured I'd see if any gaffers were offering similar services.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/53npx0/3ds_downgrade_service/

Talk to this guy. He's the cheapest, incredibly reliable, and has done it hundreds of times. He was also fast and got my 3ds back out the next day that he had received it. Been enjoying my hacked black friday N3DS ever since.

$45 to completely hack your device is insane to me. He even put all the tools on my device for further homebrew on my own.

Talk to this guy. He's the cheapest, incredibly reliable, and has done it hundreds of times. He was also fast and got my 3ds back out the next day that he had received it. Been enjoying my hacked black friday N3DS ever since.

$45 to completely hack your device is insane to me. He even put all the tools on my device for further homebrew on my own.

Cool, thanks! That is a great price.

Anyone?

The games that are used for waithax are no longer purchasable from the eshop-the last one available, Legends of Exidia, was removed from the shop like the week after Black Friday. You're going to need to wait longer or find someone to do a system transfer from a CFW 3DS to yours and use sudokuhax, or someone who can do a system transfer to yours with a waithax game*

*Going to see if this really true later this week

The games that are used for waithax are no longer purchasable from the eshop-the last one available, Legends of Exidia, was removed from the shop like the week after Black Friday. You're going to need to wait longer or find someone to do a system transfer from a CFW 3DS to yours and use sudokuhax, or someone who can do a system transfer to yours with a waithax game*

*Going to see if this really true later this week

Yeah I guess I was led to believe that other DSiWare games (like Sudoku) work with waithax, but apparently not.

Anyway, today marked a week since my last transfer, and I have started the process of hacking my 3rd system... but I made one small blunder that I'm not sure if it's potentially a big deal or not: I forgot to backup the NAND created by dgTool right after the transfer from the previous 3DS (which I'm guessing is now being overwritten by dgTool on the target system since I swapped the sd card). But I do have a backup of the 9.2 NAND that is dumped later on. What kind of scenario might require me to restore the NAND that I forgot to backup? It's the stock non-modified NAND, so I guess I won't be able to return the system to its official state? Not that I see a reason why I would want to.

L.O.R.D

if i want to install sega genesis retroarch emulator,do i need bios?
or just install the .cia file?

there is 2 folders in the .zip downloaded from retroarch,one is cia folder and the other called "retroarch",so what to do with this folder? do i put it somewhere?

what the best version of SNES emulator?
is there a stable version of retroarch?

If you're downloading from the official site, you can choose what to download. A .7z archive with the cia versions or one containing the 3dsx versions.
Any emulator that requires a bios, will really need it regardless of what version you're running.
the latest official stable release is 1.3.6. But some time after 1.3.3, noticable screen tearing issues appeared in several cores. I'm sure if 1.3.6 has fixed for that already

Joey Ravn

Banned
ok,found picodrive is better,no screen tearing in 1.3.3,but how to remove the text in the lower screen? its distracting.

Touch the upper portion of the screen. Or the lower one. I don't remember which one, but one hides the UI, the other brings up the menu.

n64coder

Almost done with my third 3DS. This one is my daughter's which is running 11.0. I used WaitHax, oot3dhax, and 4swords DSiware. It went pretty smooth for the most part.

I did run into a couple of issues where the steps were not working. The problem is that I used newer versions of some of the utilities instead of the previous version. So you have to read the requirements section of the guide carefully and make sure you're using the correct files.

Some of the files are torrent magnet links. I wished that the guide put the file names alongside the links. I end up copying the links into notepad and looking at the URI to decipher the name.

So I'm at the point where her 3DS is restoring the tickets. The only part I'm unsure about is restoring 4swords. Do you just go into data management and restore from SD?

Over Christmas break, I plan to spend some time with CFW and learning the capabilities. I've been in the mode of just installing the CFW and not doing anything with it. Will want to look into the ability of running out-of-region games and backing up my saves.

Just checking. If the DSiware games were pulled, or I simply never had access to them, and I don't own any of the select 3DS carts, there's no current method to get homebrew on my black friday New 3DS?

Alternatively, I have an old launch 3DS I haven't touched since transfering to an XL back in Nov 2013. Assuming it's far back enough, is there a method I can mess with that to then mess with my New 3DS?

n64coder

Just checking. If the DSiware games were pulled, or I simply never had access to them, and I don't own any of the select 3DS carts, there's no current method to get homebrew on my black friday New 3DS?

Alternatively, I have an old launch 3DS I haven't touched since transfering to an XL back in Nov 2013. Assuming it's far back enough, is there a method I can mess with that to then mess with my New 3DS?

You can use the DSi ware injection method if you have another 3DS with CFG. See
https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade-(app-injection-and-second-3ds)

What is the system version of your old launch 3DS ? Be sure to not upgrade it any further before putting CFW on it.

There is a good chance browserhax works on your old 3DS. You just put some files on the sd card and visit a URL in the browser and you're in Homebrew Launcher. Follow the guide to install CFW. Then you can purchase a DSiWare game (that's not been pulled) and do your new 3DS: https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade-(app-injection-and-second-3ds)

You can use the DSi ware injection method if you have another 3DS with CFG. See
https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade-(app-injection-and-second-3ds)

What is the system version of your old launch 3DS ? Be sure to not upgrade it any further before putting CFW on it.

There is a good chance browserhax works on your old 3DS. You just put some files on the sd card and visit a URL in the browser and you're in Homebrew Launcher. Follow the guide to install CFW. Then you can purchase a DSiWare game (that's not been pulled) and do your new 3DS: https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade-(app-injection-and-second-3ds)

Thanks.

My old 3DS is somewhere in a closet. Knowing Nintendo handhelds I bet it'd still have a charge, but it's whatever firmware I had to be on to transfer to my Link Between Worlds 3DS XL.

n64coder

My old 3DS is somewhere in a closet. Knowing Nintendo handhelds I bet it'd still have a charge, but it's whatever firmware I had to be on to transfer to my Link Between Worlds 3DS XL.

I'm pretty sure that it won't be 11.x which is a good thing. My guess is that it's 9.x but that's just a guess.

If I want to hack my N3DS but I also want to transfer my NNID from my 3DS XL to my N3DS would I hack it first and then transfer or the opposite? Or would I just not be able to transfer?

I am on 11.0.0-33u using aureinand. It is telling me to update to use any internet functions. Can i update my emunand without problems? Is there a better firmware i should use? Should i install with a9lh? I am still using rxtools, i think.

Also, can someone point to how to dump and install your carts? Forgot where i found the stuff to do it.

Luma 3DS is the most popular CFW now. Its old name was AuReinand.
You can update the emunand without problems, just make sure you really are in emunand before starting the update.
But the best thing is to indeed switch to A9LH + Luma and run it directly on sysnand. It makes your system very safe and pretty much brickproof.
You can dump your own retail cartridges to installable CIA's using Decrypt9 or Hourglass9

Unicorn

I have OoT, I have four swords, i can get power saves (just need to know which to buy online), and I have a 3ds on 11.2.0035 or whatever OS the most recent. Is this all I need?

womp

So I have a spare 2DS with 9.2 here that I thought I would try installing A9LH on and I'm currently on the 2.1 CTRTRANSFER step of 'The Guide™'. This may be a really stupid question but I'm already stuck at the part where I'm supposed to choose the image file for my region....Nothing happens. Is it a file I'm supposed to download? When I click USA I get nothing.

Thanks.

So I have a spare 2DS on 9.2 here that I thought I would try installing A9LH on and I'm currently on the 2.1 CTRTRANSFER step if 'The Guide™'. This may be a really stupid question but I'm already stuck at the part where I'm supposed to choose the image file for my region....Nothing happens. Is it a file I'm supposed to download? When I click USA I get nothing.

Thanks.

It's a BitTorrent link. You need a BitTorrent client to download it. I recommend Deluge

I have new 3DS XL with four swords installed on it, also have OoT physical.
I have a black friday new 3DS system

can I swap everything from the XL to the new 3DS and homebrew it........then swap everything back to the XL? like duplicate the saves to keep zelda four swords on the new 3DS

or is it once you transfer it, thats it?

n64coder

I have OoT, I have four swords, i can get power saves (just need to know which to buy online), and I have a 3ds on 11.2.0035 or whatever OS the most recent. Is this all I need?

If you're on 11.2, you need another 3DS that has CFW and system transfer from it to your 3DS. The below is from 3ds.guide:

• Use this link to downgrade your NFIRM with DSiWare and a second 3DS (which already has CFW)
  • Use this link to downgrade your NFIRM with DSiWare, one of four listed games, and a homebrew launcher entrypoint (11.0.0 and 11.1.0 only)
  • Use this link to downgrade your NFIRM with DSiWare, one of four listed games, and a second 3DS (which already has CFW)
  • Use this link to downgrade your NFIRM with a hardmod

I have new 3DS XL with four swords installed on it, also have OoT physical.
I have a black friday new 3DS system

can I swap everything from the XL to the new 3DS and homebrew it........then swap everything back to the XL? like duplicate the saves to keep zelda four swords on the new 3DS

or is it once you transfer it, thats it?

What version is the new 3DS XL? I'm assuming that the BF 3DS is 11.0.

Ugh...I've never used torrent in my life.

It's very easy to use. Be sure that after you pull down the files, leave the client running on your laptop/PC when you're using it so that others can get the files from you. Once you have seeded it, then you can remove it from your torrent client.

SheHateMe

I was able to snag a BF 3DS yesterday at cost and now I'm looking into this and... It's a lot more involved than it was back when I was soft modding PSPs and Wiis.

I keep wanting to open my 3ds and play Super Mario Maker, but I know if I update from 11.0.33, that'll lock me out for quite a while. I don't have access to OoT+powersaves or any of those DSiware games (I'm super brand new to Ninty's online ecosystem in that I've never even set up an account before) and so I'm wondering...

...should I just find someone to hard mod my system and leave well enough alone?

n64coder

I keep wanting to open my 3ds and play Super Mario Maker, but I know if I update from 11.0.33, that'll lock me out for quite a while. I don't have access to OoT+powersaves or any of those DSiware games (I'm super brand new to Ninty's online ecosystem in that I've never even set up an account before) and so I'm wondering...

...should I just find someone to hard mod my system and leave well enough alone?

If you don't have one of the 4 DSiware games, then yes, there's no way to put CFW on a 11.0, 11,1 system without hardmod or using another CFW system.

Having someone hardmod it might be the best way. Somewhere in the last couple of pages, there's someone who will do it for $45 and has done a bunch.

I was able to snag a BF 3DS yesterday at cost and now I'm looking into this and... It's a lot more involved than it was back when I was soft modding PSPs and Wiis.

I don't think you lose anything by updating your system to the latest firmware. Being on 11.0 is only useful if you have one of the 4 DSiWare games purchased AND installed already (plus an entry point, like OoT+powersaves). So if you plan on going the hardmod way later on, go ahead and update to 11.2 and play Super Mario Maker, it won't make any difference.

SheHateMe

If you don't have one of the 4 DSiware games, then yes, there's no way to put CFW on a 11.0, 11,1 system without hardmod or using another CFW system.

Having someone hardmod it might be the best way. Somewhere in the last couple of pages, there's someone who will do it for $45 and has done a bunch.

I don't think you lose anything by updating your system to the latest firmware. Being on 11.0 is only useful if you have one of the 4 DSiWare games purchased AND installed already (plus an entry point, like OoT+powersaves). So if you plan on going the hardmod way later on, go ahead and update to 11.2 and play Super Mario Maker, it won't make any difference.

Thanks to you both for the information!

womp

It's very easy to use. Be sure that after you pull down the files, leave the client running on your laptop/PC when you're using it so that others can get the files from you. Once you have seeded it, then you can remove it from your torrent client.

Yep, thanks. I took Naked Snake's advice and used the application he recommended...grabbed the file in mere moments. I'm going to try doing the guide throughout the day and see how this turns out. Currently all the systems in the household (outside my wife's Animal Crossing XL running 11.2 (which I told her not to update to :p ), are running Luma Menuhax so I am delving into deeper waters here.

Hopefully I won't run into any issues but I figure this could be a nice little afternoon project. I don't know if I am brave enough to do it on my N3DSXL but I will see how it goes on this 2DS.

tony888t

Neo Member
Just purchased at n3ds XL and it's on firmware 11.0.0 Just wondering if I can downgrade it if I have another n3ds that's running a CFW? I don't have any of the DSi games.

Erheller

So. There's two different things you can do to "mod" your 3DS. You can get homebrew, and you can get custom firmware (CFW). You NEED homebrew to get CFW, so the first step to getting CFW is to install homebrew. If you just want to know if you can install CFW on your 3DS or not, skip the next paragraph (you'll have to do those steps if you do decide to get CFW, but hombrew is not the limiting factor here).

You can get homebrew on pretty much any system on any firmware. Most people use browserhax to get into hombrew. You go to a URL (with an internet connection) and homebrew gets loaded. As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), this method does NOT work on 11.0 and up Old 3DS's, since there's no way on those to bypass Nintendo asking to update your 3DS (if you have a New 3DS, follow this guide). There are still a multitude of methods to getting to homebrew if browserhax doesn't work for you, but you might have to spend money to get a game. Once you're in the homebrew menu for the first time, I'd suggest installing menuhax so you can load homebrew by booting your system and pressing L (unless you want to use ctr-httpwn).

At this point, you should have a readily-accessible homebrew. Can you get CFW? If your system is...
Firmware 10.7 and down: Yes.
Firmware 11.0 and 11.1 (NOT 11.2): Yes, but you need to have Fieldrunners, Legends of Exidia, Guitar Rock Tour, or The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (Anniversary Edition). You can't get these from the eshop anymore; you need to have had them already physically installed on your 3DS.
Firmware 11.0, 11.1, and 11.2, but you don't have any of the four games listed: It's possible, but you either need to hardmod (as in actually solder things inside your 3DS) or a second 3DS that already has CFW on it. The latter methods requires you to do a system transfer from the CFW 3DS to your not-CFW 3DS, and you can't system transfer from New 3DS to Old 3DS/2DS. But you can system transfer from New 3DS to New 3DS and Old 3DS/2DS to anything.

One note: There's a step in the CFW installation that apparently causes a lot of Old Ambassador 3DS's to brick. It's still unlikely that you will brick, but you should keep that in mind if you want to CFW one of those 3DS's.

There's also a sudohax floating around but I haven't looked into that.

For actual instructions on how to homebrew/CFW your 3DS, go to https://3ds.guide/

womp

Another quick question, but unrelated to A9LH. On my N3DSXL I am running Menuhax/Luma with CtrBootManager. I have unlinked 9.2 on the Sysnand and my Emunand is the current 11.2.

I would LOVE to install FBI onto the Sysnand so that I could get GBA games installed onto it thus launching them from my Emunand. What I am trying to do is boot into Sysnand and do a browserhax to Homebrew Launcher to launch MiniPasta so that I could do all this. Unfortunately when I try to launch Homebrew Launcher from browserhax it flashes me back to the CtrBootManager instead of Homebrew Launcher.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? I am under the impression I need to possibly rename the boot.3ds or change the cfg file?

SheHateMe

Just found my little sister in law's Old 3DS that she never uses and it's on 10.7

I don't know what I would need to do to get it over to the New 3DS, but hey, it's a start. LOL

Ashhong

With 10.7, you could install cfw>Update>buy one of the exploitable games> transfer.

I thought I had read almost any dsiware game would work now?

How can you buy one of the games if they aren't on the store anymore? The 3ds scene is so confusing to me...

How can you buy one of the games if they aren't on the store anymore? The 3ds scene is so confusing to me...

Once you have CFW you can update to the latest and buy from the store and do everything else normally.

You don't need the DSiWare games to CFW 10.7, but he'll need to buy one once he got CFW to transfer the game to the N3DS

Top Bottom