• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

It detects the game is already present, fixes the ticket and asks if you want to reinstall (which you say no too), only takes a few seconds.

Oh ok, that's cool. But I still feel like restoring nand would be easier (one step instead of several steps)... is there any drawback I might be unaware of for doing one method over the other?

I guess the date and time would be off with the NAND restore... anything else? Any advantage for restoring save files?

If I want to go from Rei 10.5.30U to Luma3DS with A9LH or whatever (haven't touched this in a year) is the 3ds.guide still best way to follow? I started it, but it seems like it is taking me aaaallll the way back to square one.

Oh ok, that's cool. But I still feel like restoring nand would be easier (one step instead of several steps)... is there any drawback I might be unaware of for doing one method over the other?

I guess the date and time would be off with the NAND restore... anything else? Any advantage for restoring save files?

It involves considerably less writing to the NAND , and not in a critical area so there's no chance of anything going wrong, its also faster than doing a full NAND restore which can take a fair while , the saves remain as they were (since they never get deleted since they save to SD or into the CIA for Card2 CIAs). But no nothing special about it.

I'm about to start the DSiWare downgrade method on my 11.0.0 N3DS... can I update it to 11.2.0 before I start so that I don't have to use ctr-httpwn for the transfer?

Also, is using OoT3Dhax easier than Steelhax? I have OoT cart.

Ewo

I'm about to start the DSiWare downgrade method on my 11.0.0 N3DS... can I update it to 11.2.0 before I start so that I don't have to use ctr-httpwn for the transfer?

Also, is using OoT3Dhax easier than Steelhax? I have OoT cart.

Staying on 11.0.0 is only relevant if you're waiting for slowhax. Also, OoT3Dhax is a good backup plan if Steelhax doesn't work for one reason or another after the transfer, but you could set that up with the system you're transferring from if things do go badly.

Staying on 11.0.0 is only relevant if you're waiting for slowhax. Also, OoT3Dhax is a good backup plan if Steelhax doesn't work for one reason or another after the transfer, but you could set that up with the system you're transferring from if things do go badly.

Thanks, updating my target system now.

Edit: Everything went smoothly until I got to the Decrypt9 part after the downgrade and Steel Diver stopped working (gives an error after launching the game and crashed back to home menu). So now I'm restoring all the files of the source 3DS to a new SD card (because I used its card in the target system as instructed by the transfer, and source system won't boot without original files) and trying to remember how to do OoT3DHax (because the description on the Github page is confusing and the guide doesn't spell out how to use it either)...

Whoever said this should take 1 to 2 hours is a big fat liar :p

Thanks, updating my target system now.

Edit: Everything went smoothly until I got to the Decrypt9 part after the downgrade and Steel Diver stopped working (gives an error after launching the game and crashed back to home menu). So now I'm restoring all the files of the source 3DS to a new SD card (because I used its card in the target system as instructed by the transfer, and source system won't boot without original files) and trying to remember how to do OoT3DHax (because the description on the Github page is confusing and the guide doesn't spell out how to use it either)...

Whoever said this should take 1 to 2 hours is a big fat liar :p

Which Downgrade ? Once you're on 9.2 you can just use BrowserHax to launch things. If you were on the partial 10.4 (post DSiWare) then Browserhax should still likely work as long as you never invalidated you're browser and do the correct thing for that version.

Which Downgrade ? Once you're on 9.2 you can just use BrowserHax to launch things. If you were on the partial 10.4 (post DSiWare) then Browserhax should still likely work as long as you never invalidated you're browser and do the correct thing for that version.

Right, I forgot about browserhax on 9.2, got it working and saved me some time, thanks!

See this is my issue with the guide, it's not noob friendly in places. On the decrypt9 page the step just says "4. Enter the homebrew launcher" without any reference on how to do it, and since up to this point I've been doing it through Steelhax, that's what I attempted (and it kept failing).

I was arguing with someone in another thread that getting CFW on the 3DS is a laborious and potentially confusing process, while he was saying it only takes a couple of hours or so now... yeah maybe if you've done it many times before and recently or you're really into the scene, but first/second timers will likely face frustrating sticking points along the way. I faced similar/other issues on my previous two times doing it on other systems and the whole thing ended up taking me 5+ hours each time.

Right, I forgot about browserhax on 9.2, got it working and saved me some time, thanks!

See this is my issue with the guide, it's not noob friendly in places. On the decrypt9 page the step just says "4. Enter the homebrew launcher" without any reference on how to do it, and since up to this point I've been doing it through Steelhax, that's what I attempted (and it kept failing).

I was arguing with someone in another thread that getting CFW on the 3DS is a laborious and potentially confusing process, while he was saying it only takes a couple of hours or so now... yeah maybe if you've done it many times before and recently or you're really into the scene, but first/second timers will likely face frustrating sticking points along the way. I faced similar/other issues on my previous two times doing it on other systems and the whole thing ended up taking me 5+ hours each time.

I guess that's true The First systems I did took about 8 hours to do 2 one O3DS and a New (that was back with the full 2.1 downgrade). Last one took under an hour but it was OTPless which the guide no longer does.

So I grabbed a N3DS from the black friday sale and had a few questions. If all I wanted to do was run some VC emulators what would I have to do?

Also would I still be able to update my system and games to play Pokemon online and visit the eshop?

So I grabbed a N3DS from the black friday sale and had a few questions. If all I wanted to do was run some VC emulators what would I have to do?

Also would I still be able to update my system and games to play Pokemon online and visit the eshop?

VC access requires CFW, theres open source HB emus that you can run through Hax but without kernel access you get fairly limited performance for anything but the oldest systems / most speed focused implementations. For CFW access you need access to an already hacked 3DS from the same region (and if it's not yours , being a new 3DS would be good so you can transfer back). Theres a method that doesn't require that being worked on but it's coming SOON(TM).

VC access requires CFW, theres open source HB emus that you can run through Hax but without kernel access you get fairly limited performance for anything but the oldest systems / most speed focused implementations. For CFW access you need access to an already hacked 3DS from the same region (and if it's not yours , being a new 3DS would be good so you can transfer back). Theres a method that doesn't require that being worked on but it's coming SOON(TM).

Thanks for answering my first question. Would I still be able to update my system after CFW is installed and use the eshop/play Pokemon online?

Ewo

Thanks for answering my first question. Would I still be able to update my system after CFW is installed and use the eshop/play Pokemon online?

Yeah, although you would want hold off with updates until someone's verified that it's safe and won't break your a9lh. (And also keep your CFW updated)

I honestly forgot about browserhax too, although I guess that's probably what they expected you to use. Steelhax broke because it depends on the firmware version, which would mean downgrading breaks it, so I guess it's just part of the process... I'd say that I'm reasonably experienced, but I've also had a number of little problems here and there with the guide.

Sorry for wasting some of your time though! I have a copy of Cubic Ninja, so I've never personally had problems with getting an entry point if I need one.

If I were to give a child a CFW 3DS, are there certain configurations I should change to "childproof" the system? Like to prevent them from entering Hourglass9 or Luma3DS by accidentally holding Select or Start while powering on the system (although unlikely to happen, it's not far fetched I think considering how hard the power switch needs to be pressed on this unit and its proximity to the other buttons)... or the "Use SysNAND FIRM if booting with R" one.

Edit: I guess I can setup a PIN for accessing Luma. Not sure if the same can be done for Hourglass9

You could just rename Hourglass9 so it can't be launched. Sure, it would be inconvenient to use it, but I don't know how often you'd really need to.

Good idea, thanks!

So I just finished, took me about 5 hours... Just need to figure out one more thing: after I did the system transfer, I took the SD card from the source 3DS and used it in the target one, but now I ended up with a mostly full card with games that aren't available on the target 3DS (physical carts that I had dumped and installed as CIA). I want to free up the space they occupy on this SD card since they're not serving any purpose, but I don't know how to do that without losing the eShop games that did transfer over.

Should I do system format, delete "Nintendo 3DS" folder, then redownload the games from eShop? Not sure if the system would boot if I delete the folder that contains everything.

Good idea, thanks!

So I just finished, took me about 5 hours... Just need to figure out one more thing: after I did the system transfer, I took the SD card from the source 3DS and used it in the target one, but now I ended up with a mostly full card with games that aren't available on the target 3DS (physical carts that I had dumped and installed as CIA). I want to free up the space they occupy on this SD card since they're not serving any purpose, but I don't know how to do that without losing the eShop games that did transfer over.

Should I do system format, delete "Nintendo 3DS" folder, then redownload the games from eShop? Not sure if the system would boot if I delete the folder that contains everything.

No definitely not. What you want to do is get the CIAs and use FBI to reinstall them. It Will detect they are already present on the SD and fix the tciket. At that point you can keep them if you wish or delete them normally.

Legends of Exidia pulled from NA eshop. That means dsiware hax are done barring already owning a vulnerable DSiware / a new exploit. SlowHax only allows injection of an exploited save so it still required a vulnerable DSiware installed.

Legends of Exidia pulled from NA eshop. That means dsiware hax are done barring already owning a vulnerable DSiware / a new exploit. SlowHax only allows injection of an exploited save so it still required a vulnerable DSiware installed.

Holy shit! Glad I jumped on it a few days ago, fearing exactly this, phew!

Edit: I'm now reading that Four Swords works too? I already had that, so I didn't need Exidia?

Correct. You just need one vulnerable title and the ability to inject an exploited save.

Strange that the guide did not list Four Swords among the exploitable titles... that's $8 I didn't have to spend.

Edit: it seems that Four Swords will only work with slowhax, so I still needed LoE if I didn't want to wait for slowhax.

Any European 3DS owners with 11+ interested in CFW and don't already have an exploitable title should buy Legend of Exidia NOW as it might get pulled from EU eshop any minute.

Whoa I just downgraded my n3DS like 2 days ago, dodged the bullet way too close.

Strange that the guide did not list Four Swords among the exploitable titles... that's $8 I didn't have to spend.

Edit: it seems that Four Swords will only work with slowhax, so I still needed LoE if I didn't want to wait for slowhax.

Nah, if I remember correctly it should work with transfers, it's just another recent development since Four Swords wasn't released as of initial DSi shenanigans long time ago, and thus there was no good reason to research it for a while.

Dambrosi

Banned
Guess what, the guide is updated so now any DSiware game can be used to downgrade n3DS. Your move Nintendo :lol
Well, that's over, then. All DSiWare games to be pulled from eShop! :p

In other news, Pokemon Moon doesn't run like total shit like I heard it did. Does the a9lh hack have anything to do with that?

Zomba13

Well, that's over, then. All DSiWare games to be pulled from eShop! :p

In other news, Pokemon Moon doesn't run like total shit like I heard it did. Does the a9lh hack have anything to do with that?

I don't know if Moon does it but some games on the N3DS take advantage of the system (Xenoblade, Monster Hunter) and end up running smoother or looking better. Most games don't bother with it but there is a setting in the a9lh stuff that forces the better clock speed on for everything making even unsupported games run better.

There are a few games where it can break them, like the very beginning bits of Final Fantasy Explorers or parts of Star Fox 64 3D but for most games it's just a straight up performance boost.

Guess what, the guide is updated so now any DSiware game can be used to downgrade n3DS. Your move Nintendo :lol

kqCgujDZT1SO4.gif

I wish there was a way around the 1 week wait time between transfers... I just did one today and I have another 3DS I want to hack, so I now have to wait a week to downgrade the other and then another week before I can transfer my NNID back to my original system

You can call Nintendo and have them transfer you NNID to original system, it'll cut down the waiting period from 14 days to 7-8 days. I've done it only once though when I botched my first downgrade attempt, dunno how many times you can do it before they refuse.

Interesting security hole, I expect Nintendo to patch it one way or another (system transfer sounds like a good moment). Maybe scene should have waited with this being secret for a longer while and find something more regular to use for the time being, but the cat's outta bag and there's not much sense pondering it now.

Kinda wish I hadn't spent $8.99 on Exidia now, but no big deal. I more so figured Slowhax would be released right after I bought it, haha.

Is Retroarch the best emulator for NES/SNES/GBA now? I installed the individual emulators and they work great, but their interface is not the greatest overall. I also can't find an option to stretch the image to fill the screen (I know, I know). Are there any better alternatives?

No definitely not. What you want to do is get the CIAs and use FBI to reinstall them. It Will detect they are already present on the SD and fix the tciket. At that point you can keep them if you wish or delete them normally.

I just realized doing this would take me forever, since the sd card is almost full and no space to copy the CIAs over. I'd have to do it one at a time, reinstall/fix, delete CIA, move SD card to PC, copy next game, repeat ad nauseam.

Isn't there a way to perhaps export the tickets from the source 3DS (which I have restored to pre-transfer state via NAND restore and SD card backup) and then use those tickets on the target 3DS?

Teppic

Need some help. Hopefully someone knows how to solve it.

I tried to make a Dragon Quest 7 mod with the music from the japanese game. Somehow I screwed up along the way (I can give the exact steps if needed) and the cia file I ended up trying to install gave me first an error code that it couldn't be installed, then I realized I've might have rebuilt it wrong and tried it in a different way. This time the cia installed, however it freezed on the 3ds screen when I attempted to run it. So I deleted the game from system settings>data management and decided to not bother with it anymore and just use the cia I dumped from my 3DS cart. When I tried to install it in fbi I got an error, I can't remeber the exact error, but I believe something was missing.

After this I noticed two problems with my New 3DS.

When I try to install a cia it will work, but it takes a lot longer to initiate the install. It will show me 0mb for 21 seconds before anything happens. Before it was like 1-2 seconds.

I'm think my system now boots up faster than before. I mean that is a good thing in general, but I'm just worried that something is wrong and will screw things up for me later on. It could be that I'm just imagining things and it's not something to be worried about.

I would be very grateful I someone could help me fix these issues. I would go as far as to restore everything from nand dump if needed (I don't know how to do this either).

Need some help. Hopefully someone knows how to solve it.

I tried to make a Dragon Quest 7 mod with the music from the japanese game. Somehow I screwed up along the way (I can give the exact steps if needed) and the cia file I ended up trying to install gave me first an error code that it couldn't be installed, then I realized I've might have rebuilt it wrong and tried it in a different way. This time the cia installed, however it freezed on the 3ds screen when I attempted to run it. So I deleted the game from system settings>data management and decided to not bother with it anymore and just use the cia I dumped from my 3DS cart. When I tried to install it in fbi I got an error, I can't remeber the exact error, but I believe something was missing.

After this I noticed two problems with my New 3DS.

When I try to install a cia it will work, but it takes a lot longer to initiate the install. It will show me 0mb for 21 seconds before anything happens. Before it was like 1-2 seconds.

I'm think my system now boots up faster than before. I mean that is a good thing in general, but I'm just worried that something is wrong and will screw things up for me later on. It could be that I'm just imagining things and it's not something to be worried about.

I would be very grateful I someone could help me fix these issues. I would go as far as to restore everything from nand dump if needed (I don't know how to do this either).

Take your SD/microSD card out of the 3DS and use a PC to check it for errors / corruption for your first step.

I noticed the same thing when I started using a different SD card... bootup was faster but fbi would hang at the beginning of installs. I thought card might be corrupted or faulty but testing it on PC showed nothing wrong. This was a 64GB Kingston microSD.

Now I'm using a 128GB Samsung (temporarily until a week passes on my last system transfer to get my NNID back) and yesterday I had few games crash on me with error screens. Some games crashed as soon as I launched them, others crashed after the menus and right before switching to gameplay. At first I thought something must have gone wrong when I did the NAND restore after the transfer, but then I tried some of the same games again and they didn't crash this time. I'm thinking the 3DS has difficulty reading from large cards, and that random variability in read speed caused my games to crash... not sure though, didn't test it enough.

But I do know for a fact, and I've been saying it for a while in another thread, that my 3DS experiences hiccups and lags on the home menu while using the 128GB card compared to 64GB. I think 32GB might be the safest bet, and the larger the card gets the more issues you might face.

flowsnake

FBI taking a while to start installing happens to me sometimes on a 32GB card, I don't think it's a problem. Unless it never starts, of course.

what do you guys think about PHBank? An offline, free alternative to Pokebank. Is it wrong/should we feel bad for using it

I don't think something like that should make you feel bad unless you feel guilty about taking advantage of hacks in general. It's something similar to backing up save data if anything, which is something I really appreciate about homebrew.

Nothing makes me feel better than knowing no matter what happens to my Pokémon games I have save backups stored on the cloud whenever I need to get at them.

deim0s

I noticed the same thing when I started using a different SD card... bootup was faster but fbi would hang at the beginning of installs. I thought card might be corrupted or faulty but testing it on PC showed nothing wrong. This was a 64GB Kingston microSD.

Now I'm using a 128GB Samsung (temporarily until a week passes on my last system transfer to get my NNID back) and yesterday I had few games crash on me with error screens. Some games crashed as soon as I launched them, others crashed after the menus and right before switching to gameplay. At first I thought something must have gone wrong when I did the NAND restore after the transfer, but then I tried some of the same games again and they didn't crash this time. I'm thinking the 3DS has difficulty reading from large cards, and that random variability in read speed caused my games to crash... not sure though, didn't test it enough.

But I do know for a fact, and I've been saying it for a while in another thread, that my 3DS experiences hiccups and lags on the home menu while using the 128GB card compared to 64GB. I think 32GB might be the safest bet, and the larger the card gets the more issues you might face.

The online docs only mentions up to 32GB, if anything bigger... We're basically on our own.

Top Bottom