• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Aeana

So if I'm reading right, this whole process became even easier? I'm still a little terrified, but I guess I'll take the plunge. I wish there was a guide on top 5 rookie mistakes or things to keep in mind beforehand, but I'll just try to follow 3ds.guide extremely slowly. Playing DQ7 with an orchestrated soundtrack is too important to me!

On a 11.1 OG 3DS XL.

The process is very short now, and there's no longer any steps in it that can lead to you bricking your system.

Knurek

The process is very short now, and there's no longer any steps in it that can lead to you bricking your system.

That's not true - you are writing stuff to both FIRM and CTR NAND, both of which have a chance of bricking the system.
About as high as applying official Nintendo FW upgrade, but nevertheless, higher than zero.

randomkid

I'm done! I can confirm that the process is straightforward even for complete neophytes like me. I just plopped in Inazuma Eleven 3 into my American 3DS and it's working perfectly without me doing anything else. This is amazing.

Stalk

Been going through the 3ds.guide page and gone the route of sound -> homebrew. What has me confused is that when I get to the safehax stage I'm getting "FAILED TO READ THE ARM9 PAYLOAD". I'm on 9.2.0-20e, so I'm a bit confused there.
EDIT: NVM I'm special. Put stuff in the wrong folder...

Joey Ravn

Banned
so your main 3DS is on 11.4? you don't want to loose what's in it,right?
maybe transfer that 3DS to a 3rd 3DS,but first

do you one of the 4 DSi games on the 11.0 3DS?
if no,then the only option is wait or do a hardmod.

but if you have one of the 4 DSi games on 11.4,then hack the 11.0 and update it then do system transfer from your main 3DS to the other 3DS and then inject the save and wait 7 days then transfer back.

Wait, can't you use any of these games as well?

You can use Soundhax on 11.0 can't you ? (And then you can transfer the 11.4 contents over after you're hacked and updated). Pretty sure you only need DSiware if you end up on 11.4 somehow. There's apparently an as yet unreleased 11.4 entry point coming but better to avoid needing it if possible.

Sagitario

I finished going from arm9loaderhax to boot9strap/sighax/GodMode9.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see anything in the last couple of pages.

- What exactly are Luma and FBI? It had been a while since I did all this and I don't quite remember what they are for.

- If I have installed boot9strap/sighax, I can update to the latest official firmware so I can access the eShop, right? I won't lose any HB stuff?

- How can I dump my 3DS cartridges and install them?

- Can I transfer my save files between installed games and cartridges?

- Is there a way to take screenshots?

L.O.R.D

I finished going from arm9loaderhax to boot9strap/sighax/GodMode9.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see anything in the last couple of pages.

- What exactly are Luma and FBI? It had been a while since I did all this and I don't quite remember what they are for.

- If I have installed boot9strap/sighax, I can update to the latest official firmware so I can access the eShop, right? I won't lose any HB stuff?

- How can I dump my 3DS cartridges and install them?

- Can I transfer my save files between installed games and cartridges?

- Is there a way to take screenshots?

1- LUMA is CFW for 3DS,FBI is app installer and file explorer and you can download from it many homebrew apps from it.

2- if you fully did the guide,then you already have luma as CFW,check the system settings and see if you have "Sys" or "Ver" before the numbers
it should say "Sys" if you checked show NAND in Luma settings the first time you boot it.
if you did everything correctly,then updating is safe.

3- yes,use app called JKSM to backup and restore almost any kind of save data.

4- yes, use NTR from bootNTR selector,you will manage to take screenshots and even stream to PC if you have new 3DS.

I must admit that I don't really get what this has over a9lh...

well,first thing,you won't be able to update luma3ds if you still on A9LH,you must update to use later versions of luma.

right now there is no advantage,but in the future maybe,update from A9LH to B9S will only take 5 minutes.

so,the other games it self is exploited without modding?
just buy those games and make transfer?

There are four well known DSiWare games which have at various points been available for 3DS - and now all aren't - that feature possibility of savefile exploiting, though you need a hacked system to supply such a savefile. The games on the bigger list can be overwritten - again, on a hacked system - with whole such exploitable game instead, assuming certain conditions regarding inner file sizes are met (due to this they recommend early version of EA Sudoku for US 3DSes, it was patched back on DSi and thus could never be bought on 3DS, but has most lenient injection requirements). Due to 3DS transfer being somewhat conservative when it comes to redownloading data unless you explicitly ask it to these games can be copied wholesale just as the savefiles for actually exploited games can, though it's a little more messed up.

Sagitario

1- LUMA is CFW for 3DS,FBI is app installer and file explorer and you can download from it many homebrew apps from it.

2- if you fully did the guide,then you already have luma as CFW,check the system settings and see if you have "Sys" or "Ver" before the numbers
it should say "Sys" if you checked show NAND in Luma settings the first time you boot it.
if you did everything correctly,then updating is safe.

3- yes,use app called JKSM to backup and restore almost any kind of save data.

4- yes, use NTR from bootNTR selector,you will manage to take screenshots and even stream to PC if you have new 3DS.

Thanks! :)

It says "Sys", so I'll proceed to update.

Is JKSM for save data only or does it let me dump and install my cartridges?

NTR? bootNTR selector? D:

alexbull_uk

Got lucky that I hadn't played my N3DSXL in a while, so it was on 11.2.

Was pretty painless modding it, only took about 30mins total. Though it did take ages to back up all my games to SD card, but it's well worth it. Hopefully won't ever lose a cartridge again.

Chucker

I'm on 11.2.0-35 and have the latest A9LH luma.
Safe to upgrade or do I have to do some work?

My kids play with the 3DS more now so I'm sure one of them will eventually update it if I don't.

Izayoi

Banned
I wouldn't hope for it. B9S shouldn't be any different for the end-user, AFAIK. What problems are you having?
It won't start. I tried redownloading it from the eShop and the installation never gets past 94% before it crashes.

It's getting to the point where I am becoming genuinely concerned. Would there be a way to get the CIA for it, maybe? It's a free title (sans subscription) so I'm not sure how that would work.

Everything else works fine for me, but Pokebank is fucked for some reason.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It won't start. I tried redownloading it from the eShop and the installation never gets past 94% before it crashes.

It's getting to the point where I am becoming genuinely concerned. Would there be a way to get the CIA for it, maybe? It's a free title (sans subscription) so I'm not sure how that would work.

Everything else works fine for me, but Pokebank is fucked for some reason.

I wouldn't know, to be honest...

Have you tried removing Pokebank and it's ticket via FBI and then redownloading from​ the eshop ? I think I remember this being a result of a bad ticket in a previous case.

I've a N3DS on 11.2/11.3 (not entirely sure) and another one on 11.4 which unfortunately is currently the system with my NNID and the one I'd like to use. If I'm not mistaken, what I should do is install CFW on my 11.3 3DS first and then update to 11.4.

Then could I do a system transfer to the CFW 3DS and go back to the one I really want to use?

I've a N3DS on 11.2/11.3 (not entirely sure) and another one on 11.4 which unfortunately is currently the system with my NNID and the one I'd like to use. If I'm not mistaken, what I should do is install CFW on my 11.3 3DS first and then update to 11.4.

Then could I do a system transfer to the CFW 3DS and go back to the one I really want to use?

Not straight away but I believe you can use the DsiWare Inject hack variant where you inject both a game and the save, you'll just need to buy one of the vulnerable DSiware game (you can buy that at any time as long as it's on your NNID) and then do the injection before you transfer back to the system you want to use.

colon

Yikes... Just booted up my 3DS, checked the friend list and I get error code 002-0102 "This device's access to online services has been restricted by Nintendo."

Anyone else here getting that?

AztecSoul

Yikes... Just booted up my 3DS, checked the friend list and I get error code 002-0102 "This device's access to online services has been restricted by Nintendo."

Have you played or have one of the Echoes/Pokemon "leaks"? Or hacked some Pokemon?
I've already banned from my original n3DS for being reckless playing the Pokemon leak, but got unbanned using that guide some time ago, I recently cheched if I was banned and I can still access my friend list.
Anyway, stay safe 3DSCFWGAF, stay offline until we know what is triggering this new BANwave

hirokazu

Nope. Just checked for DLC updates in FE Echoes.

Edit - appears eshop isn't effected. There's a GBAtemp thread here : http://gbatemp.net/threads/regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/
No apparent pattern yet.
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I haven't switched by 3DS on for about two weeks, but I've got codes for (legit cartridge) Sun/Moon that I need to redeem. I guess I'll wait until more info is known about this before I play my 3DS again.

I'm going through the gbatemp thread now but I wonder if it's possible that 11.4 (EDIT: or earlier, some are getting banned on 11.2) is sending a list of installed or recently played apps to Nintendo and they're banning systems if CFW apps such as Luma and FBI are included.

colon

Have you played or have one of the Echoes/Pokemon "leaks"? Or hacked some Pokemon?
I've already banned from my original n3DS for being reckless playing the Pokemon leak, but got unbanned using that guide some time ago, I recently cheched if I was banned and I can still access my friend list.
Anyway, stay safe 3DSCFWGAF, stay offline until we know what is triggering this new BANwave

No to FE Echoes. I've hacked some Pokemon, yes. But, not on this particular system and the system that I did do it on, I never did online battles with the Pokemon I made.
This one banned is my New 3DS XL which I almost exclusively use to play ACNL which I purchased from the eShop on day one back in 2013 but I sometimes use the save editor and NTR cheats if that may have contributed to this.
My old launch model 3DS (the one that I hacked Pokemon with several months ago) seems unaffected (so far). Unfortunately it isn't usable right now because the SD card in it has died. I posted in this thread 2 months ago when my SD card in that system died and now the card I replaced it with died too (both were the same brand, 16gb Kingston, which I will make sure to avoid from now on).

hirokazu

Just a thought: Pretty sure in the friends list, you can see what the last game is that your friends played, or their favourite game based on playtime or something like that. So the system is already sending data about played games to Nintendo. It could be that Nintendo have just realised they could check that for CFW apps and ban systems that have them.

People are reporting being banned after opening the friends list, adding a friend code or booting a game. That could be it?

Madao

so, can they know every app you have installed or just those that you last played? does the Activity Log send everything that it logs?

hirokazu

so, can they know every app you have installed or just those that you last played? does the Activity Log send everything that it logs?
From memory the friend list displays the last app you played, but I'm not certain and I that doesn't mean it doesn't send other Activity Log info to Nintendo.

That is assuming this is the cause, I'm struggling to think of any other cause right now given the wide spectrum of bans in the gbatemp thread.

If this is the cause and they're able to retroactively check the data already on their servers and are just going through all console data now, then I guess we are already dead. I pray that isn't the case and they're only checking consoles as they connect online since the banwave was instated.

colon

If I go out tomorrow and buy another New 3DS XL, would I be able to do a system transfer to copy over my NNID and digital purchases (75-80 games) and be un-banned on the new system, or is it too late for that?
I'll give up the CFW stuff on the new one, I don't care. I just don't want to lose all the money I've invested into eShop purchases over the past six years.

If I go out tomorrow and buy another New 3DS XL, would I be able to do a system transfer to copy over my NNID and digital purchases (75-80 games) and be un-banned on the new system, or is it too late for that?
I'll give up the CFW stuff on the new one, I don't care. I just don't want to lose all the money I've invested into eShop purchases over the past six years.

This doesn't seem to effect eshop but a transfer (assuming it works) would transfer the Encrypted Nand file these kind of bans are against anyway.

Its possible you could buy a new one and link your NNID though through support though. I don't think anyone has checked if this bans NNID too .

Joey Ravn

Banned
Bah. I'd say this is a bummer, but honestly I barely, if ever, play online. I guess I'll keep my New 2DS legit when I get it and keep using my New 3DS as my hacked system.

Also, it's worth noticing that in recent banwaves, the bans were lifted after a few days. I don't know. This feels like too little, too late. I was thinking about getting back into Pokémon SuMo, but I guess I'll just wait a bit more and play something else in the meantime.

Tommi84

There's this info on gbatemp thread:

[11:28:19 PM] Clector: Curiously the page of that error in Nintendo Support website used to have this:Error Code: 002-0102 Situation: You receive the error code 002-0102 when attempting to connect online. What to Do: If you continue to experience this issue, please contact Nintendo by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Pacific Time, 7 days a week.
[11:28:44 PM] Clector: Now it says this: What to Do: If you are experiencing this error code, your Nintendo 3DS family system has been banned due to unauthorized system modifications, play of unauthorized versions of one or more games, and/or connecting to the official game servers in violation of our terms of service. This ban is effective immediately and requests to remove the ban will not be processed.

Well I'm on USA 11.4 with B9S and I don't seem to be banned yet. Went online in the friends list and it worked. Booted up Pokemon Moon and checked online for any mystery gifts and didn't get any error (or any gift). Then I went back and checked the friends list again and it worked fine.

Wonder what's causing this issue.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There's this info on gbatemp thread:

Past 002-0102 bans have been temporary and lifted after 15 days. What Nintendo's website states is that requests to lift the ban will not be answered, not that the bans themselves are permanent.

As of right now, there's no precise reason why people were banned. Most, if not everyone, was using a CFW. But to what extent they were using it varies. Some people (like me) weren't using illegal homebrews, cheated online or used modifications on games.

I'm not really bothered by the ban, because I only used my N3DS online for Wonder Trade, and I'll be able to do it back in two months when the N2DS launches. And there are ways to get online back again if I wanted to...

zeomax

Nintendo is banning at the moment all hacked 3DS devices.

Tommi84

Past 002-0102 bans have been temporary and lifted after 15 days. What Nintendo's website states is that requests to lift the ban will not be answered, not that the bans themselves are permanent.
I read it like: 'Don't ask to remove the ban. We're not going to do it and we will not unban you automatically either'.

Some people (like me) weren't using illegal homebrews, cheated online or used modifications on games.
You are altering the official firmware which is 99.9999% against the Terms of Use and for this, Nintendo may still ban your console. They still want your money so they will not block the eShop (hilarious!! :D), but those three games that have online functionality will not have those

Anyway, this doesn't concern me much. I don't play any online games don't have any purchases on my N3DS. It's more of a problem for Smash/Pokemon players, but if someone wish to invest hundreds of hours into a game, they better not do anything that can compromise their save/experience.

So far a pattern that seems to emerge is that everyone who has been banned had the two Spotpass options on. I had them on too at one point while on CFW around last year but as soon as I noticed this I turned them off. I'll check in a few days if I have been banned :/

Top Bottom