• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

I haven't played my N3DS in a few months, but I'm also pretty sure that it has been in sleep mode on the dock, so it probably connected to the internet. I need to update LUMA and my firmware, so I can't check yet, but I'm pretty scared that console might have been banned.

My "backup" N3DS has been off, so I'm hoping it stays unbanned until someone can at least figure out a workaround.

I haven't played my N3DS in a few months, but I'm also pretty sure that it has been in sleep mode on the dock, so it probably connected to the internet. I need to update LUMA and my firmware, so I can't check yet, but I'm pretty scared that console might have been banned.

My "backup" N3DS has been off, so I'm hoping it stays unbanned until someone can at least figure out a workaround.

I'm on BS9, Luma 7.1 have had Spotpass enabled and used FBI while online fairly regularly and I'm not banned yet. So yeah, still doesn't seem to be a real pattern.

The only things that I can't say I've done is uses Freeshop or similar or gone online with unreleased software or used cheats online (because I'm not enough of an idiot to do any of that).

Audioboxer

I'm on BS9, Luma 7.1 have had Spotpass enabled and used FBI while online fairly regularly and I'm not banned yet. So yeah, still doesn't seem to be a real pattern.

The only things that I can't say I've done is uses Freeshop or similar or gone online with unreleased software or used cheats online (because I'm not enough of an idiot to do any of that).

Given all the variation I'm going to guess you are the Schrodingers cat of bans. Both banned and unbanned.

In other words my guess is waves. However Nintendo detect CFW they're rolling the bans out, so anyone who has been on CFW for a while and used online will get hit soon enough.

Fingers crossed for you but I think in ~2 weeks time lots more will be banned. As garbage as Nintendo security can often be I think they've been data collecting and phoning it all home for a while and are now certain. Any company with some competent software developers should be able to detect things like FBI, emulators and ram modifying cheat codes running. The actual CFW itself might be tricker given how a9lhax works, but the custom code everyone is running not so much.

Considering how safe everyone has felt with a 3DS literally thousands will all have been connected online. The 3DS second hard market is about to take a hand grenade too. No longer can you just be confident of buying a 2nd hand 3DS and it not being banned (they're doing hardware bans not account). While this has been the case with Xbox and PS consoles for a while I'd argue with how easily 3DS has been to modify and the worry free attitude of many, there could be far more modified 3DS consoles out there than there ever was 360/PS3.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I updated to B9S and Luna 7.1 a week or two ago, but haven't really used my 3DS much recently. I checked last night and have not yet been banned. Both Spotpass options in settings were turned on, so I switched them off. Fingers crossed.

So, is the trigger for a ban known yet? I hacked my 3DS XL a long time ago, when Ironhax was released and never updated anything (other than the Firmware version of the 3DS so to get online).

I rarely get online, only for Smash Bros (of which I own a cart), Monster Hunter 4U and Mario Kart (both of which I bought in the eShop)

Zomba13

So, if worse comes to worst and after I update my shit I find out I am banned, if I grab a new/clean/non-CFW 3DS and attach my NNID to it I should be able to go online (ie. use Pokémon Bank) right? Only issue with being banned for me is wanting to move my Pokémon over to whatever comes next on the Switch seeing as I have Pokémon on my X cart from the GBA games (I never bothered with moving them to Sun because the bank stuff was so late coming).

I'd probably be banned though if it goes off of unofficial code. I've run FBI, Quake, custom badges and themes etc and it turns out I had Spot Pass on (though I was sure I switched all that sharing stuff off) and been online (both in games and to eShop). Though I have been offline since before 11.3 so maybe I won't have been caught yet if it was something in 11.3 or .4 that was notifying Nintendo?

Dingens

are there any good instructions on how to un-mod a system without factory resetting it?
I don't really need homebrew anymore but I absolutely wanna keep playing band bros online (without loosing my purchased songs...)

Dark Rider

Is there an app that clears all entries in the activity log? I think I read here at one point that there is one. I don't know if clearing it would be helpful to combat the bans but it could be useful.

Robin64

Got caught in the banwave and my 3DS hadn't even been switched on in over two weeks. Just turned it on now to check and yep, that error. Oh well. :\

Audioboxer

Got caught in the banwave and my 3DS hadn't even been switched on in over two weeks. Just turned it on now to check and yep, that error. Oh well. :\

A few have reported months, which is why I really think they're doing ban waves. The data collection may have been going on for far longer than most would guess.

So, if worse comes to worst and after I update my shit I find out I am banned, if I grab a new/clean/non-CFW 3DS and attach my NNID to it I should be able to go online (ie. use Pokémon Bank) right? Only issue with being banned for me is wanting to move my Pokémon over to whatever comes next on the Switch seeing as I have Pokémon on my X cart from the GBA games (I never bothered with moving them to Sun because the bank stuff was so late coming).

I'd probably be banned though if it goes off of unofficial code. I've run FBI, Quake, custom badges and themes etc and it turns out I had Spot Pass on (though I was sure I switched all that sharing stuff off) and been online (both in games and to eShop). Though I have been offline since before 11.3 so maybe I won't have been caught yet if it was something in 11.3 or .4 that was notifying Nintendo?

Staying on older firmware won't help you avoid a ban, basically no one is safe, you may as well go and update. If you're ok, just stay off Wi-Fi I guess.

Also, if you have access to an unbanned 3DS/2DS you can hack it and dump it's "friend code seed" (or something like that) and inject it into your banned 3DS, by that you essentially unban your 3DS. There are a couple of guides over at GBATemp on how to do it.
Edit: Forgot to mention, the ban is not tied to NNID.

Drain You

If you're still on a9lh the luma updater won't work for you. You need to manually update luma to 7.05 which is the last version that will support a9lh.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure thats the problem.

You're not banned, yet. Basically every 3DS running CFW will get banned at one point or another with the waves.

I don't think you should state this like its a fact unless you know something we don't.

hirokazu

A few have reported months, which is why I really think they're doing ban waves. The data collection may have been going on for far longer than most would guess.
Or it could be they they turned it on, the console sent stuff to Nintendo's servers, and then they got banned while checking if they're banned.

Robin64

The best part about having a banned console is Nintendo are still sending me stuff. They loaded a Kirby Clash icon on my homescreen and told me to download it from the eShop. Very funny, Nintendo.

Zomba13

The best part about having a banned console is Nintendo are still sending me stuff. They loaded a Kirby Clash icon on my homescreen and told me to download it from the eShop. Very funny, Nintendo.

Hey, just because you're banned doesn't mean they don't want your money.

I haven't used my n3ds for month's. I removed the SD card and formatted it and the 3ds. It was on 11.1 and I only used homebrew in cubicninja. Hopefully it will be ok. The friend list works so maybe it will be fine.

Its a bit overkill but I dont want to lose online for it.

Just gonna leave my 2 xls running gateway though.

womp

I was cocky and had my GBA injected Fire Emblem as my favorite game in my friend list profile.

I'm banned and I bet that didn't help. :p

Luckily I never go online anyway...outside when I would wondertrade with my son once in awhile in Pokemon.

Bowl0l

How do we know for certain people actually got banned instead of Nintendo paying forumers to spread lies that their consoles are banned?

Taking extra pre-cautions:

DAxSFKxUQAAKg9H.jpg

Dunno if my JP n3DS will ever be hit or not so I'm just gonna put my mons from that bank onto this. I do not recommend doing this for anybody with anything even vaguely resembling a life outside of Pokémon though.

F34R

So far, I'm not banned. I'm not on the latest firmware either.. not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I'm not updating right now.

I'm on 11.3.0-36U.

So I hacked both my 3ds' but didn't do anything, all my software is legit and I have a ton of things I've bought from the e-shop. Kind of crazy if I get banned. I have rooted my Android devices, jailbroke iphones, etc. This is something I like to do. I hope I"m not banned but I don't really play shit online with the 3ds anyway. I just hope I can play ever oasis with my kid locally and triforce heroes locally if needed. I haven't turned either system on yet, is there anything I can do to not send info to Nintendo to avoid a ban?

So far, I'm not banned. I'm not on the latest firmware either.. not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I'm not updating right now.

I'm on 11.3.0-36U.

Same. Not banned. I'm still on 11.2

Have no idea if that's the reason though. I checked last night and then realized that I don't really care one way or another anyway. I only own two games that are offline, and all the other games I'm interested are also offline.

Linkark07

Banned
So I hacked both my 3ds' but didn't do anything, all my software is legit and I have a ton of things I've bought from the e-shop. Kind of crazy if I get banned. I have rooted my Android devices, jailbroke iphones, etc. This is something I like to do. I hope I"m not banned but I don't really play shit online with the 3ds anyway. I just hope I can play ever oasis with my kid locally and triforce heroes locally if needed. I haven't turned either system on yet, is there anything I can do to not send info to Nintendo to avoid a ban?

Disable Spotpass, especially the part in which your 3DS sends information to Nintendo of what you play. People suspect that they are banning people who use homebrew software like FTPD or FBI for example.

MilkLizard

I'm on 11.4 still using AL9H and no ban yet. Had everything switched on. Wifi, Spotpass and sharing title info with friends.

I'm really curious what these bans are based on but my guess is, that they ban in waves and sooner or later everyone will be affected. We'll see.

Is their a list of emulators which work well with the original 3ds? I'm not expecting much but It'd be nice to know.

If you prefer accuracy over features, do injections instead. GBA games ran flawlessly for me that way. Had to dick around settings to get different games to work properly with multiple emulators.

Still no ban. Phew. Will it be possible to know when they've quit?
I guess probably not other than when lots of people stop getting new bans. Surprised but glad I haven't been hit yet.
Still want to play Pokémon Yellow and transfer my Pokes to Sun!

Still no ban. Phew. Will it be possible to know when they've quit?
I guess probably not other than when lots of people stop getting new bans. Surprised but glad I haven't been hit yet.
Still want to play Pokémon Yellow and transfer my Pokes to Sun!

I probably wouldn't expect to stay in the clear indefinitely. As of this morning, I'm still not banned, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

Honestly, I was a bit afraid to check, so I haven't turned it on since news of the wave. As it was becoming more clear that it's based off data already collected, I figured it was worth the risk to at least check to see if I could rescue my Pokemon from the Bank. I'm happy to say I've got any worth noting safely stashed on a cart now. I'd recommend the same if you've got any you can't bear to lose.

So I hacked my N3DS a while back etc had a 32gb card with games on it etc hadn't swirched it on in awhile now I'm hearing all this about banning an I screwed? I wanna wonder trade in Pokemon but I need to update my game and 3DS

I guess I can try updating and seeing if I'm screwed or not?

Robin64

So I hacked my N3DS a while back etc had a 32gb card with games on it etc hadn't swirched it on in awhile now I'm hearing all this about banning an I screwed? I wanna wonder trade in Pokemon but I need to update my game and 3DS

I guess I can try updating and seeing if I'm screwed or not?

Even without updating, try opening your Friend List. If it opens, you are not banned.

B_Boss

My goodness...these bans are insanity. I'm hoping to get a New 3DS XL soon and would like to softmod it but damn, I better be extremely careful lol...

Hey folks, I'm thinking about selling my 3DS and it has al3h on it. What's the best way to get it to factory settings? I'm scared I might brick it or something.

Hey folks, I'm thinking about selling my 3DS and it has al3h on it. What's the best way to get it to factory settings? I'm scared I might brick it or something.

Do you want to sell it hacked or as a standard 3DS ? Things are a bit different depending on what you want to do there.

Standard.

Assuming you have a fully functional a9lh sysnand setup and don't have anything weird installed (like FBI still injected into H&S or Dev only CIAs installed or unsigned/modded System files or TWL / AGB)
If you want to transfer your stuff / NNID to another 3DS obviously do that first.
Just in case backup your SD card to a PC.
Format the System from Setup , setup the system again with whatever place holder stuff you want to put in.
Copy the latest version of SafeA9LHInstaller into Luma/Payloads
Use the Luma chainloader to launch Safea9lhinstaller.
Use the latest version of SafeA9LHInstaller to uninstall A9LH.
Then clean up the SD card to remove the various CFW files (Luma, any NAND backups , OTPs , etc ).
If you want to be really safe put in a new SD card then format the system again. The system will create the necessary stuff during setup and no one will be able to recover anything​ you might have left or not fully deleted (like a sysNAND backup with your NNID).

I'm pretty sure that's all you need. If you run into any problems just ask.

Questions about CFW:
1. I'm assuming I'm not banned? Firmware is still on 11.2.0-35U, if I try to open the friends list it just gives me an error trying to get me to update to latest firmware.
2. The entrypoints on 3ds.guide mention either Cubic Ninja or soundhax. However, I've been using freakyhax for a while to launch region free homebrew, is that sufficient?

Top Bottom