• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Questions about CFW:
1. I'm assuming I'm not banned? Firmware is still on 11.2.0-35U, if I try to open the friends list it just gives me an error trying to get me to update to latest firmware.
2. The entrypoints on 3ds.guide mention either Cubic Ninja or soundhax. However, I've been using freakyhax for a while to launch region free homebrew, is that sufficient?
1. Doesn't sound like it. You probably want to turn the system Spotpass stuff off and the game sharing with friends off though.
It depends if the kernel exploit needed can launch from freakyhax. There too mamy hax for me to know offhand though. You can try it and if it fails to gain kernel access stuff won't launch or will tell you that. If it doesn't you can fall back to soundhax since its always present and easy to setup.

Opa-Pa

Anyone experienced with mednafen PCE on Retroarch? I just started using it and noticed it doesn't have a "Controls" option, so the only way to remap inputs is to remap them for Retroarch in general, which affects all cores the same. And on top of that the core seems to always have some aspect ratio issues, which I can fix by using a custom one... But again this affects all cores too. Is there any way to modify both these things ONLY for mednafen PCE?

I only now switched to the latest stable version of all my cores, so I'm having enough trouble getting used to the rest of the little changes already haha.

Has homebrew launcher 2 removed the ability to launch a game region free with HANS? I can't find it after upgrading.

edit: HANS is no more, use Luma.

Does anybody have a working PCSX Rearmed on the latest Luma 8.0 and boot9strap 1.2 homebrew setup?

Until then, I'm still using 1.3.6 version from last December.

Knurek

Can't it all be done over ftp?
Earlier I also switched from a9lh to bs9 all over ftp, never had to take out the card.

bs9 1.2 does not work with Luma below 8.0
Luma 8.0 does not work with bs9 below 1.2

So you update stuff over FTP, but you can't upgrade Luma. And after you update bs9, your current Luma install won't boot. :\

Joey Ravn

Banned
bs9 1.2 does not work with Luma below 8.0
Luma 8.0 does not work with bs9 below 1.2

So you update stuff over FTP, but you can't upgrade Luma. And after you update bs9, your current Luma install won't boot. :\

It was a kinda weird upgrade process. I had a mild panic attack when I updated Luma but hadn't updated B9S, and the other way around.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Have the banwaves subsided yet?

Was considering going through the process of restoring online functionality using a partially-busted OG model I have, but will I just get banned again?

Have the banwaves subsided yet?

Was considering going through the process of restoring online functionality using a partially-busted OG model I have, but will I just get banned again?

There doesn´t seem to be any kind of ban wave whatsoever at the moment. But delete your log notes with Cthulhu and disable spotpass before restoring online if you are banned.

gbatemp banwave thread said:
Current Theories as to what causes a ban
​
* SpotPass Settings: 8 users out of 46 users that were banned have SpotPass completely shut off, or SpotPass only (no friends list visibility)
* Firmware Version (Luma, Nintendo): Literally all reports ranged from 10.2+, I can get exact numbers for this if you'd like, but all firmwares were affected.
* Firmware Type (A9LH, B9S): 44 of the 126 B9S users that answered were banned, pattern was mirrored for A9LH users as well.
* Homebrew Titles such as FBI, HBL, Luma Updater, Themely, and freeShop: Literally about 98% of users both banned and unbanned had some combination of these applications installed. However the common ones were: FBI, HBL, LumaUpdater and NTR.
* Save Modification: Equal amounts of users on both sides have reported save modification in some form, either with PKSM or another save editor
* System Transfers: 188 users said that they had not previously system transfered, 61 of those users were banned; 16 users said they transferred from a hacked console, only three of them received a ban; 13 said they transferred from a stock system and likewise were banned. The rest of our sample did not answer this question.
* Activity Log Information: A majority of those who have not been banned have said they had NOT cleaned their activity logs. I can get exact numbers for this too on request.

This information is just what I've found. Like I said, there could be variables or things we haven't even checked for yet. But these are things that I feel should be disproven, at least with the current dataset we have.

From the information that we've gathered from some people that have used a packet sniffer such as WireShark, the following data is sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers as soon as the 3DS connects to the internet:
Amount of time spent online (timer stops when either the system is disconnected from the internet, or connection drops out, then starts the timer again in a new session when it reconnects to the internet).
The game being played and amount of time spent on it during that session.
The console's unique hexadecimal ID used in the LocalFriendCodeSeedB, along with it's RSA-signed signature.
The console's serial number in which is broadcasted from the SoC and is hard coded in the SoC.
Friend Code generated on the Nintendo 3DS system, if one has been generated.
Internet connection status (either online or offline).
The Nintendo Network ID, if there is one linked to it.
Even if the sending of SpotPass Information is switched off, or even hiding your currently playing games. It does not prevent the system from sending currently playing information to Nintendo's online gaming servers, it only hides it from your friends in your friend list (like being invisible on the forum, while mods and admins can still see you). Why? Because even people without a Friend Code on their system have been getting banned too!

The following data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers:
The data from the Nintendo 3DS's Activity Log. Oddly enough, while Nintendo does explicitly state that they collect Activity Log data, they're actually referring to their own server's Activity Log, which always tracks every console's online activity, and keeps a record of them that is stored forever. And is only collected in increments of data through a timer and a currently playing list.
Games or apps that have not been played, regardless if they're legitimate or not. You only get tracked when you're online and using that game or app.
Using games or apps while offline. Even though it is stored on the 3DS console's Activity Log, that data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers.
Custom Firmware. Though we can't rule out the possibility of them releasing a 3DS update in the future that adds such function to collect MD5 hashes of files and FIRM data and send them to Nintendo online gaming servers (which would also be updated in a maintenance).

Things that people think what happens with consoles, but really doesn't:
"LocalFriendCodeSeedB is transferred to the system upon doing a system transfer". This is false, the LocalFriendCodeSeedB remains on the system and does not move to another system.
"The console generates a LocalFriendCodeSeedB upon first startup". Again, this is false, the LocalFriendCodeSeedB is made during the manufacturing process at Foxconn. It is generated at the factory, flashed to the NAND flash memory storage, then created as an account on Nintendo's online gaming server and Nintendo eShop server immediately when being manufactured. It is absolutely impossible to generate a LocalFriendCodeSeedB and be able to connect to Nintendo's online gaming server and/or Nintendo eShop server, even if you knew the RSA generation key for it. You'd end up with Error Code 002-0102 "This console's online services have been restricted by Nintendo" if you even tried (the error can either mean two things: The hexadecimal ID doesn't exist on the server, or the request to access the hexadecimal ID has been denied which in other words... banned). So a LocalFriendCodeSeedB generator will NEVER happen! Because it's not worth doing, if it can't connect.
Switching off "Currently Playing" information. Once again, this does not hide your online activity from Nintendo's online gaming server, it only hides it from your friends.
Switching off SpotPass. Nope, this too doesn't hide your online activity from Nintendo's online gaming server, it only opts-out of receiving SpotPass data, sorry.

So the problem seems to be using non-official titles while connected to the internet.

unrealist

How has PSX emulation come so far? Last year it was pretty decent but not perfect.. i had to switch off audio and it was on a New 3DS XL too

So the problem seems to be using non-official titles while connected to the internet.

That seems to make sense. I haven't been banned and I recall that the only thing I've done on my 3ds during the last month was play Pokémon Sun. And most of that was with the wireless connection off because I wanted to save battery so there wasn't any chance for homebrew apps to be pinged to Nintendo's servers.

Madao

this makes sense. i make sure that the homebrew apps i play never happen while online and never let a streetpass go off with them as my last played software and none of my 3DSs have been banned.

Madao

What about things like gba games?

wouldn't that be easier since GBA mode disables all of the 3DS functions by default (including online)?

you'd only need to worry if you made your own GBA .cias since nintendo wouldn't have those in their database (which would match with hacked apps triggering the ban). if you just inject games on existing GBA games, there shouldn't be a problem since the GBA game's ID is unchanged.

Erheller

I've done that but am not banned. I block several Nintendo servers at my router, which might explain my situation?

I did the same a week or two before the bans, but didn't have the Nintendo servers blocked, and I'm still not banned. Wasn't connected for something like 4 months beforehand though.

hirokazu

Yeah, that would make sense. One thing that's thrown a lot of people off is some people claiming they haven't been online for months and checked and found they were banned, while others, myself included, had been online and used things like FBI in May and weren't banned.

Could be a rolling ban, but there hasn't been much word of further bans since that initial wave, has there?

I guess I need to block Nintendo servers so I can transfer files to the 3DS over Wi-Fi or download things via QR Code in FBI without the system connecting to Nintendo.

Just noticed about the bans, haven't used my 3DS in like a month, is there a way to know if you are banned without updating the console?, everything I tried just tells me to update the console.

colon

View friends list? That doesn't require updating, right?

I think at some point it might?
I stayed on 11.3 as long as possible, until I was no longer able to view my friend list without it telling me to update my system. I've read there were ways around it but I didn't bother looking into it.

Unicorn

I think at some point it might?
I stayed on 11.3 as long as possible, until I was no longer able to view my friend list without it telling me to update my system. I've read there were ways around it but I didn't bother looking into it.
Huh. I'm on 11.3 and am still able to view friends

Hey guys, quick question: I homebrewed my n3dsxl a couple of months ago but and only now I realized that I can't play any of my nds cartridges. When I try to open the game it just gives me a black sceen and with a click sound, and it freezes that way. Is it because of the homebrew? What can I do to fix it?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey guys, quick question: I homebrewed my n3dsxl a couple of months ago but and only now I realized that I can't play any of my nds cartridges. When I try to open the game it just gives me a black sceen and with a click sound, and it freezes that way. Is it because of the homebrew? What can I do to fix it?

What CFW are you using? Luma? If so, which version? If don't have it, switch to B9S and update Luma to the latest release. Use this guide to help you with the process.

Anyone ever get this problem?

I'm trying to use the 3ds microsd management wireless with PC and it connects. But when I try to move a file over to the sd card it says something like "You need permission..."

Cactus

Banned
Anyone ever get this problem?

I'm trying to use the 3ds microsd management wireless with PC and it connects. But when I try to move a file over to the sd card it says something like "You need permission..."

I had an issue a little while ago where my SD card locked itself. I couldn't remove the write protection no matter what I tried. I just assumed it as because it was a cheap card and crapped out on me, but who knows.

No, there's no way to use Pokebank if you're banned, it's cloud stored. Though depending on how it stores data when you access it , it might be possible to dump whatever temp storage it uses and manually extract your mons. I haven't looked into it though.

Am I the only one on CFW that isn't banned? Just opened my 3ds and can play online, see whose online, eshop, etc

No. Even the survey about this , which probably overrepresents bans was only at 50/50 last I checked.

OK, so I have 2 homebrewed n3DS systems and I want to make sure that one of them at least doesn't get banned (my main n3DS XL).

I've taken all the steps to protect myself (turn off the friends list stuff, and turning off "send info to Nintendo"), and i think I've been smart about not having wifi enabled when playing my unofficial cia installs like my GBA games, but just to be safe I want to make my main n3DS "clean" by deleting FBI and all my GBA games.

Should I go as far as removing Luma and a9lh and all that stuff (assuming I'm not banned already, fingers crossed)? How do I even go about removing that stuff, delete all that stuff from my SD card or something?

Edit: I updated my main 3DS and checked my friend list and everything worked just fine!

Im still worried enough to not use any "unofficial software" on that 3DS (which sucks, I loved having all my GBA games digitally on my XL), but since I really don't care about online play, I'll probably just leave my other 3DS offline and keep using that one for GBA games and digital copies of my physical games.

Salsa

I havent messed with any CFW since I got my 3DSXL and was thinking it was about time to mess with it

turns out the moment I decide to start homebrewing I find out about the upcoming magnethaxxxxx

hype af, since im on 11.4 and have an Acekard 2.1 on my DSi XL :) swell timing

OK, I know we're all jealous of Australia for getting the N2DS XL like a month and a half before the rest of the world. They always get the best deals in gaming, I know
/s

But at least now we know that Nintendo did jack shit to protect the New 2DS. Any method of hacking that can work on 11.4 will work on the N2DS right out of the box.

I already have my DSi game prepared to be transfered :)

Awesome! Does anyone know if they have said whether the orange/white version is coming to the US?

Dingens

I haven't been following the homebrew scene in a while... is there any reason to move from AL9H to B9S? are there any advantages?
(haven't updated luma in months, so being up to date isn't exactly my priority)

(is there any reason why they changed from al9h to b9s?)

Knurek

I haven't been following the homebrew scene in a while... is there any reason to move from AL9H to B9S? are there any advantages?
(haven't updated luma in months, so being up to date isn't exactly my priority)

(is there any reason why they changed from al9h to b9s?)

You can only use Luma newer than 7.1 with B9S, that's the main perk so far.
B9S presents a much cleaner environment for homebrew developers than AL9H did.

Top Bottom