• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

So updated to Luma 8 and it still gives me an error when I launch it. Any idea why? Going to try TWLoader now

It depends on how and when the card was blocked, Luma generally only reenables cards that worked on the 3DS at some poin but were later blocked, TWLoader can force load some other cards too.

Ashhong

Have you upgraded to b9s, or are you still on al9h?

It depends on how and when the card was blocked, Luma generally only reenables cards that worked on the 3DS at some poin but were later blocked, TWLoader can force load some other cards too.

I'm on the latest B9S

Duno about it being blocked. I first put this R4 into my 3DS about a week ago and saw that it didn't work, and now I've updated to Luma 8, so it was never working. It did work with TWLoader though, which is pretty cool.

I'm on the latest B9S

Duno about it being blocked. I first put this R4 into my 3DS about a week ago and saw that it didn't work, and now I've updated to Luma 8, so it was never working. It did work with TWLoader though, which is pretty cool.

Sorry, I meant that abstractly, not specifically to you. When the 3DS came out some DS cards were initially blocked and some weren't, later updates blocked further cards by various mechanisms (primarily a whitelist), some still worked around 4.5ish when Nintendo pretty much stopped blocking additional DS flashcards (the DSTwo was never blocked for example). Luma mainly patches out the software based whitelist for cards that were blocked post the original 3DS release. TWLoader also skips some other protections by booting the flash card in a way different to how the home menu does it, which allows some additional cards to work.

PKrockin

Wait, what the fuck is going on? I re-hacked my old 11.0 3DS with soundhax following this video and apparently the Homebrew launcher 2.0 got rid of the convenient region free launcher and replaced it with HANS, which no longer works? And I have to install custom firmware and Luma and risk bricking my system to run out-of-region games? I just wanna play Monster Hunter X, dammit. Isn't there an easier way to do that?

Well, thank goodness I found an old version of Homebrew Launcher backed up on my computer that actually includes the Region Free Launcher.

Wait, what the fuck is going on? I re-hacked my old 11.0 3DS with soundhax following this video and apparently the Homebrew launcher 2.0 got rid of the convenient region free launcher and replaced it with HANS, which no longer works? And I have to install custom firmware and Luma and risk bricking my system to run out-of-region games? I just wanna play Monster Hunter X, dammit. Isn't there an easier way to do that?

Can you give me a full run down of your system
What type of 3DS exactly: New / Old, 3DS / 2DS
What system version are you on (the full version as displayed in system settings)
Do you have any permanent CFW installed ?

Depending on what you're on exactly you may just be able to continue using the old Homebrew Launcher version and loading it via Soundhax, but Hax has been broken on non-CFW O3DSs for a while now (around 10.2 ? I think, I'll have to check further when I know your details).

ETA - There's no real risk of bricking your system via installing CFW properly at the moment, the chances are about the same as bricking from an official Nintendo update. There is the risk of being banned from online play at some point in the future though, since there's still no real understanding of what sparked the banwave a few weeks ago, and unless there's another wave, that's unlikely to change.

Luma is the only way with the latest hax B9S. The stuff required by HANS is no longer available.

PKrockin

Can you give me a full run down of your system
What type of 3DS exactly: New / Old, 3DS / 2DS
What system version are you on (the full version as displayed in system settings)
Do you have any permanent CFW installed ?

Depending on what you're on exactly you may just be able to continue using the old Homebrew Launcher version and loading it via Soundhax, but Hax has been broken on non-CFW O3DSs for a while now (around 10.2 ? I think, I'll have to check further when I know your details).

ETA - There's no real risk of bricking your system via installing CFW properly at the moment, the chances are about the same as bricking from an official Nintendo update. There is the risk of being banned from online play at some point in the future though, since there's still no real understanding of what sparked the banwave a few weeks ago, and unless there's another wave, that's unlikely to change.
I found an old version of the homebrew launcher backed up from last year, and I can launch it from Soundhax. It's running MHX fine.

It's an old 3DS with 11.0.0-36U. I don't know anything about CFW, I only used OoThax, Themehax and Browserhax to run the Homebrew Launcher so I could play Japanese games.

Producer

So I currently use my modded 3ds for region free games and injected VC titles. Outside of that, I just play regularly owned eshop and cartridge games.

If I backed up all my games onto my SD card, would I risk being banned?

Bonus points if backing up DQVIII English and Japanese copies to replace the music for the English version would increase my risk.

I doubt they would, but I'd just like to know.

Nope you're safe, i've backed up all my carts and eshop games and havent been banned, even backed up imported carts no problem. Just to be safe, dont have your 3ds connected to the internet while playing out of region games / injected cias / undubs etc

Joey Ravn

Banned
I found an old version of the homebrew launcher backed up from last year, and I can launch it from Soundhax. It's running MHX fine.

It's an old 3DS with 11.0.0-36U. I don't know anything about CFW, I only used OoThax, Themehax and Browserhax to run the Homebrew Launcher so I could play Japanese games.

You don't even need to downgrade to install a CFW anymore. The process can be done in 10, 15 minutes tops and it's 99% safe these days. I strongly encourage you to try it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sorry guys i'm not an expert, can i install the cfw on my new 3ds xl? I've 11.4.0-37E...so i'm not sure.

Right now, only if you already have a system with CFW and access to one of the several DSi games compatible with the exploit (which must be legally bought from the eShop). You need it to do a system transfer to the target N3DS that carries the hack.

Otherwise, you either hard-mod your N3DS, or wait until magnethax is released :/

Dave_9200

Neo Member
Right now, only if you already have a system with CFW and access to one of the several DSi games compatible with the exploit (which must be legally bought from the eShop). You need it to do a system transfer to the target N3DS that carries the hack.

Otherwise, you either hard-mod your N3DS, or wait until magnethax is released :/

Thanks a lot, I guess i have to wait then...

Lizardus

First post here and I have few questions.

I have a n3DSXL which is my main 3DS which has Monster Hunter Generations save on it. I am also buying a n3DSXL from ebay which comes installed with CFW with B9S. I am planning to convert my Generations save to a MHX save but still keep a copy of Generations save in case MHXX gets localized
lol

Is it possible to copy the save from the current 3DS sd card to the new (CFW) 3ds sd card and effectively have two similar saves on two different systems? I can keep the current save as it is and convert the save on the CFW 3DS into a MHX save for MHXX Switch data transfer.

Thanks, let me know if anything in the above is illegal.

I have a n3DSXL which is my main 3DS which has Monster Hunter Generations save on it. I am also buying a n3DSXL from ebay which comes installed with CFW with B9S. I am planning to convert my Generations save to a MHX save but still keep a copy of Generations save in case MHXX gets localized
lol

Is it possible to copy the save from the current 3DS sd card to the new (CFW) 3ds sd card and effectively have two similar saves on two different systems? I can keep the current save as it is and convert the save on the CFW 3DS into a MHX save for MHXX Switch data transfer.

Hmmmm. You could if you didn't want any online access on the CFW system. System Transfer to CFW, NAND Backup, Transfer Back, Restore NAND Backup on CFW.

I'm not sure if it's possible otherwise, I haven't looked into if B9S has allowed for the decryption of saves from an unhacked system yet, which is what you'd need since saves are encrypted to the system they are on. I think it should be possible since that's the the original Datel powersaves worked except using 3DSs but that doesn't mean anyone has done it.

Lizardus

Hmmmm. You could if you didn't want any online access on the CFW system. System Transfer to CFW, NAND Backup, Transfer Back, Restore NAND Backup on CFW.

I'm not sure if it's possible otherwise, I haven't looked into if B9S has allowed for the decryption of saves from an unhacked system yet, which is what you'd need since saves are encrypted to the system they are on. I think it should be possible since that's the the original Datel powersaves worked except using 3DSs but that doesn't mean anyone has done it.

Not saying that you're wrong but I came across this post on reddit (I'd like to get opinions from few different places before I attempt this) which says that it's possible. Care to have a read and see what you think of it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...ide_how_to_back_up_or_transfer_your_mhgenmhx/

Specifically, the "Transfer Save from 3DS to 3DS Method 2(Homebrew)" section. I'd hate to lose a 500+ hours of save for a stupid reason. Thanks.

Not saying that you're wrong but I came across this post on reddit (I'd like to get opinions from few different places before I attempt this) which says that it's possible. Care to have a read and see what you think of it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...ide_how_to_back_up_or_transfer_your_mhgenmhx/

Specifically, the "Transfer Save from 3DS to 3DS Method 2(Homebrew)" section. I'd hate to lose a 500+ hours of save for a stupid reason. Thanks.

That requires installing homebrew on your clean system (and I think only works on <= 11.3 due to reliance on soundhax ) but if you're fine with that , it works. I assumed you wanted to keep your clean system clean.

Lizardus

That requires installing homebrew on your clean system (and I think only works on <= 11.3 due to reliance on soundhax ) but if you're fine with that , it works. I assumed you wanted to keep your clean system clean .

Oh ok, I missed that. My clean system is on 11.4 so it's impossible to install HB without dsiware transfer or hardmod right?

Doopliss

lol

Do you actually need the save to be on your original 3DS? If you do a system transfer to the CFW 3DS you can use a save manager such as JKSM to backup your MHGen save and make as many copies of it as you like on your PC, a USB drive, cloud storage, wherever.

You also should be able to have MHGen and MHX saves both on the same console without them interfering with each other as the system considers them to be different games.

Lizardus

Do you actually need the save to be on your original 3DS? If you do a system transfer to the CFW 3DS you can use a save manager such as JKSM to backup your MHGen save and make as many copies of it as you like on your PC, a USB drive, cloud storage, wherever.

You also should be able to have MHGen and MHX saves both on the same console without them interfering with each other as the system considers them to be different games.

Well I just found out that ninjahax and freakyhax still works on n3DS for the purpose of installing homebrew so I am going to install that on my current 3DS, export the save with JKSM and then import it into the new CFW n3DS. I can always get rid of homebrew afterwards.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sooooooo, I just did all the nice Homebrew stuff and got it working perfectly fine on my n3DS. Install and run the eShop appliance in the HB Menu and go to download PokeBank cause I never installed it before. Turns out, I never connected my 3DS to my NNID. Am I just kind of screwed there? If I have to just undo the homebrew and update I'm fine with that. I didn't really intend to do more than tinker anyway.

Sooooooo, I just did all the nice Homebrew stuff and got it working perfectly fine on my n3DS. Install and run the eShop appliance in the HB Menu and go to download PokeBank cause I never installed it before. Turns out, I never connected my 3DS to my NNID. Am I just kind of screwed there? If I have to just undo the homebrew and update I'm fine with that. I didn't really intend to do more than tinker anyway.

I haven't used *had based homebrew in ages but if there's an exploit that lets you sign into the eshop on old firmware it should let you create a NNID as well, so there should be a method out there. Unfortunately I have no idea how. I thought httpwn was fixed.

ETA - Actually you'd need that hack active to use Pokebank online for an out of date *had system anyway.

If I'm mistaken and you're on the latest firmware just create a disposable NNID and use that.

My n3DS is currently homebrewed with A9LH.

Should I do a normal System Update first before I follow the guide instructions for updating my homebrew stuff to B9S and update Luma? Or should I do B9S first and then update the system?

My n3DS is currently homebrewed with A9LH.

Should I do a normal System Update first before I follow the guide instructions for updating my homebrew stuff to B9S and update Luma? Or should I do B9S first and then update the system?

Order doesn't matter for you. Both versions support up to current firmware (provided you can install it of course*) , and the A9H and B9S Luma files can exist on the card at the same time due to different extensions.

*Doesn't apply to you, but don't want someone updating an unhacked console to 11.4 and finding they can't install B9S.

Chris R

How good is SNES emulation on the regular 3DS? I know the New3DS is better, but if my regular 3DS works well enough I'll just stick with it instead of seeking out a new system.

Kilau

Hey guys, quick question. This is my n3DS xl version:

xjmAOJH.jpg

All I need to do is follow this guide https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) right?

mrk8885

Banned
I'm sorry if these posts are annoying. Ive home brewed many systems before, but for some reason find the process for 3DS very confusing.

I have a n3ds, that's probably pretty close to up to date (I have not yet done yesterday's system update but until then I'm probably caught up). Before I go digging too deep into this world, my questions are:

1) if I'm only interested in going region free, will I be able to do that if I'm more or less updated ?

2) are any of the current setups that enable region free allowing eShop access?

I have a 2nd n3ds that's not been updated in months and has no eShop games on it, so I guess I should really play around with that one.

I really just want my import U.K. version of Metroid samus returns to work :)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm sorry if these posts are annoying. Ive home brewed many systems before, but for some reason find the process for 3DS very confusing.

I have a n3ds, that's probably pretty close to up to date (I have not yet done yesterday's system update but until then I'm probably caught up). Before I go digging too deep into this world, my questions are:

1) if I'm only interested in going region free, will I be able to do that if I'm more or less updated ?

2) are any of the current setups that enable region free allowing eShop access?

I have a 2nd n3ds that's not been updated in months and has no eShop games on it, so I guess I should really play around with that one.

I really just want my import U.K. version of Metroid samus returns to work :)

You don't need to change the region of your 3DS to make it region-free. Luma allows you to boot any game from any region while keeping access to the eShop that corresponds to your account.

If you are on 11.3 or below, installing a CFW is dead easy. If you're on 11.4, and I have to assume you don't have a CFW 3DS already, then you're pretty much screwed until "magnethax" is released.

mrk8885

Banned
You don't need to change the region of your 3DS to make it region-free. Luma allows you to boot any game from any region while keeping access to the eShop that corresponds to your account.

If you are on 11.3 or below, installing a CFW is dead easy. If you're on 11.4, and I have to assume you don't have a CFW 3DS already, then you're pretty much screwed until "magnethax" is released.

Ok cool. Thanks. I'm almost positive my extra n3ds is 11.3 or below (can't check cause I'm at work), so I'll probably be turning that one into my homebrew maxhine.

Kilau

So I followed the soundhax guide and everything went fine. In that process it told me to run a system update so now I'm on 11.4 but HB is working fine.

Now 11.5 is out, do I have to update to get access back to eshop and stuff? ctr-httpwn doesn't work on 11.4?

Joey Ravn

Banned
So I followed the soundhax guide and everything went fine. In that process it told me to run a system update so now I'm on 11.4 but HB is working fine.

Now 11.5 is out, do I have to update to get access back to eshop and stuff? ctr-httpwn doesn't work on 11.4?

If you already have Luma on 11.4, there's no reason not to update to 11.5.

Drain You

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've got a 3ds with custom firmware on it, is there anyway for me to get the Hey Pikmin demo that came out on the EU shop. I could have sworn it was out on the US Eshop but I can't find it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've got a 3ds with custom firmware on it, is there anyway for me to get the Hey Pikmin demo that came out on the EU shop. I could have sworn it was out on the US Eshop but I can't find it.

There are "ways"... But none can be mentioned here, for obvious reasons.

WhatNXt

Man, I am completely out of the loop! I had no idea that NTR CFW allowed people to stream the output of their 3DS (new models)

I get that you need a PC to stream or record the output, but man, what an amazing OS feature that would have been. I love some of the things the community makes possible.

Makes me hope for Twitch / video capture on Switch too.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What's with the drama about Themely?

AFAIK, the developer said some nasty things on GBATemp and the mods "warned" him. It's like a strike system, I guess. The developer then threw a hissy and decided that he couldn't "trust GBATemp anymore". Closed his thread and moved everything to GitHub, but then he even closed the issue tracker there as well. Really immature behavior. And there's also something about them.es removing the QR codes to download with Themely, so now you are forced to download the files and move them manually to your 3DS.

Honestly, I just gave up on custom themes. I'm using the default black theme and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I havent touched the 3ds scene in a while. Im on emunand 11.2.0.35U, loaded with cakes which is accessed by menuhax. My nand is on 9.2.0-20U. What would be the steps for me to be up to date? Would I be able to transfer easily all my installed games and saves from my emunand?

rizzo0

Silly question but is there any easy way to go from A9lh-to-B9S just using FTP and not removing my SD card?

I would like to do the update now but I'm having a hell of a time trying to remove my back cover. The second screw is not turning at all for me. I'm trying to see if I have any other screwdrivers lying around but was curious if anyone had a workaround?

Silly question but is there any easy way to go from A9lh-to-B9S just using FTP and not removing my SD card?

I would like to do the update now but I'm having a hell of a time trying to remove my back cover. The second screw is not turning at all for me. I'm trying to see if I have any other screwdrivers lying around but was curious if anyone had a workaround?

Yeah, you can go from a9l to b9s via FTP , the Luma files and payload extensions change from bin to firm so you can have both at once. You have to use the SD card to go between b9s versions where Luma isn't backwards compatible but that's not currently an issue.

Just be very very sure you have everything present and in the right place. While recovery is possible from that, it probably needs the SD card removable.

The demo is available in the US eshop now.

Top Bottom