• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

epmode

I see that UnbanMii 2.0 is apparently transmitting details about the user's 3DS but I don't understand the significance of the stuff it's transmitting.

edit: From the thread: "Steal your console's unique online identity to unban themselves, then get you banned and move on to someone else's console identity. Rinse, repeat."

There was a follow-up as well as a technical description about what it does.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/all-3-me...m-recent-ban-wave.450679/page-85#post-7474721
https://gbatemp.net/entry/unbanmii-2-0-technical-writeup.13025/

more info that's important regardless of being technical or not:
- I had no malicious intentions *at all*... the reason for uploading such touchy files was purely for very shitty security checks, and the touchy data (movable.sed and SecureInfo) was purely used by the script to check stuff
- some people let me know that the NAND CID (or as mentioned in the non-technical writeup: "NAND chip's ID") is also a touchy data... since I don't know of an occasion where people have replaced the NAND chip on their 3DS boards, I thought that this is a good way to *somehow* identify unique users
- the reason I stored the data unencrypted in the database is because all 3 people who had access to the server don't know how to SQL (or even how the database manager UI works), I didn't even think about more about it since I knew that nobody else could access the database other than me
- note to tech sawwies: I was using MySQLi prepared statements, and I don't know a way exists to exploit that... but data was checked before even a connection was made to the database, so there was absolutely no way to exploit this
- my mind wasn't clear (and it still isn't) when I worked on the code/backend, and there were ~19errors/mistakes fixed in a ~1-2hr timespan before the initial release, so ye... I was only focusing on getting the work done, and I didn't even think about how the data I'm working with was touchy, nor about how illegal it was... I'm sorry for that

TLDR: There was nothing malicious going on, just a series of poor decisions by the creator of the program and a lot of finger pointing by other people involved. Still, always be careful about what you find on the internet, especially software that's closed source and promising to fix a problem no one else is touching.

FSLink

Banned
For anyone curious, my US New 2DS XL came with 11.4. I updated it to 11.5 and did the System Transfer with DSi save exploit thing using my already hacked New 3DS XL to install homebrew on the New 2DS XL (used 3ds.guide as usual)

Sagitario

I'm trying to update from Luma 7.1 to 8.1, the files supposedly are downloaded and the update is applied. No error messages after the process is done and it asks for a restart (press START).

But when I check, it says Luma is still on 7.1.

Luma updater is 2.0
Payload type is sighax

Did something change after the last big update? Do I need to do something extra to update to Luma 8.1?

Raw64life

I'm not sure what other steps if any I need to do to make my 3DS region free. I followed 3ds.guide's instructions all the way up to "Section VII - Backup SysNAND" and as far as I can tell, everything did what it's supposed to do and I didn't get any errors.

There's a page called "Region Changing" on 3ds.guide but one of the first things it says is "Region changing is almost completely unnecessary since Luma3DS supports out of region games and individual title region emulation." Is the "Enable game patcher" section the instructions I need to follow? I have a physical cart coming and it doesn't specify whether you need to do this for physical, digital, or both. Also, the game I have coming is Dragon Quest XI and it's not currently listed on the site the link lists to get game title info.

If you're still loading Luma 7.1 it's likely you didn't install Boot9Strap which is necessary to boot firm files instead of bin.

I'm not sure what other steps if any I need to do to make my 3DS region free. I followed 3ds.guide's instructions all the way up to "Section VII - Backup SysNAND" and as far as I can tell, everything did what it's supposed to do and I didn't get any errors.

There's a page called "Region Changing" on 3ds.guide but one of the first things it says is "Region changing is almost completely unnecessary since Luma3DS supports out of region games and individual title region emulation." Is the "Enable game patcher" section the instructions I need to follow? I have a physical cart coming and it doesn't specify whether you need to do this for physical, digital, or both. Also, the game I have coming is Dragon Quest XI and it's not currently listed on the site the link lists to get game title info.

Yeah, enable the game patcher option. You probably don't need to do anything else unless you're using out of region DLC / patches too in which case you may have to see the region / language.

Sagitario

Sagitario

I'm trying to update bs9 (https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s) but the Luma chainloader menu isn't loading when pressing START (it goes directly to the 3DS Home). Pressing SELECT for the configuration menu does work, though. Any ideas?

Edit:
I found the issue: if the chainloader menu isn't loading, download the Luma 7.1 boot.firm file and replace the one in the root of your SD with it. The chainloader should work now when you press START.

I'm trying to update bs9 (https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s) but the Luma chainloader menu isn't loading when pressing START (it goes directly to the 3DS Home). Pressing SELECT for the configuration menu does work, though. Any ideas?

Edit:
I found the issue: if the chainloader menu isn't loading, download the Luma 7.1 boot.firm file and replace the one in the root of your SD with it. The chainloader should work now when you press START.

You have the first version of B9S then. Its been updated since then and the newer version isn't compatible with the original release, the firm files are slightly different.

Refer to the updating b9s section of the guide to get up to date.

(Though I don't understand how only failing to update B9S left yoi you booting 7.1, you should have replaced the 7.1 firm with 8.1 which should have failed to boot (since 8.1 isn't compatible with b9s 1.0). )

Sagitario

And done!

You have the first version of B9S then. Its been updated since then and the newer version isn't compatible with the original release, the firm files are slightly different.

Refer to the updating b9s section of the guide to get up to date.

(Though I don't understand how only failing to update B9S left yoi you booting 7.1, you should have replaced the 7.1 firm with 8.1 which should have failed to boot (since 8.1 isn't compatible with b9s 1.0). )

Yeah, b9s 1.0 isn't compatible with Luma 8.1, that's why I couldn't update from Luma 7.1.
When trying to update to b9s 1.2, the chainloader menu wasn't working and I couldn't update from b9s 1.0. Downloading the Luma 7.1 boot.firm again and replacing the current one in the root folder fixed the chainloader issue. I was able to launch the SafeB9SInstaller and update b9s to 1.2 and Luma to 8.1 from there.

super late but just updated from luma 7.1 to 8.1. alot of good stuff.

Didnt get banned during that whole banning craze but i've been using the 3dsx feature on stock apps just to be safe. Probably doesnt matter but it makes me feel a bit better lol
What's that? What are the new cool things I can do in 8.1?

Gaardus

What's that? What are the new cool things I can do in 8.1?
Rather than use the HBLauncherLoader app to open the Homebrew Launcher or use custom CIAs for each homebrew app, the latest version of Luma has a new feature called Rosalina that allows you to (reversibly) replace any app with a new Homewbrew Launcher. You can return to the home menu like any normal app/game with this setup, and the activity log will list the time you spend in the Homebrew as time spent in the app you replaced, hopefully avoiding detection by Nintendo. The new version of Luma also has a universal screenshot functionality and, on the New 2/3DS, the ability to change clock speed on the fly.

Opa-Pa

Goddamn, I'm on 8.1 and had no idea about any of these features. Is there some sort of mini tutorial on how to access them?

Hey guys, I've run into what I'm hoping is a minor, resolvable problem. I've been following 3DS Guide without issue so far, up until the Luma3DS configuration. I turned on ”Show NAND or user string in System Settings", pressed "start" to save and reboot and encountered an Exception Error (current process: menu) forcing me to power off the 3DS. Every time I turn the 3DS on, the Exception Error appears again. I tried powering the 3DS on without the memory card inserted, but it doesn't turn on. If I hold select while powering my 3DS on, I can access the Luma3DS v8.1 configuration, but I cannot access the 3DS home menu.

I'm desperate for some help please. I'm running 9.2.0-20U.

Hey guys, I've run into what I'm hoping is a minor, resolvable problem. I've been following 3DS Guide without issue so far, up until the Luma3DS configuration. I turned on “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”, pressed "start" to save and reboot and encountered an Exception Error (current process: menu) forcing me to power off the 3DS. Every time I turn the 3DS on, the Exception Error appears again. I tried powering the 3DS on without the memory card inserted, but it doesn't turn on. If I hold select while powering my 3DS on, I can access the Luma3DS v8.1 configuration, but I cannot access the 3DS home menu.

I'm desperate for some help please. I'm running 9.2.0-20U.

Make sure you have a copy of Luma 8.1 on your SD card.

And you should already have GodMode9 in your Luma/Payloads folder.

Use the Chain loader (Start button on boot) and launch GodMode9. Copy the Luma 8.1 file from your SD card to the root of CTRNAND. Then reboot without the SD card in. Let me know if that works. If it does it's probably the themes stuff from Menuhax and you should reinsert the SD card and then uninstall Menuhax.

Make sure you have a copy of Luma 8.1 on your SD card.

And you should already have GodMode9 in your Luma/Payloads folder.

Use the Chain loader (Start button on boot) and launch GodMode9. Copy the Luma 8.1 file from your SD card to the root of CTRNAND. Then reboot without the SD card in. Let me know if that works. If it does it's probably the themes stuff from Menuhax and you should reinsert the SD card and then uninstall Menuhax.

Thanks. It appears to have been Menuhax causing a conflict and preventing the home menu from loading. I was able to delete the relevant Extdata and it boots without problem now.

I'm up to finalising the setup via the 3ds guide, "Section II":

1. Update your device by going to System Settings, then ”Other Settings", then going all the way to the right and using ”System Update"
Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to ”auto"
If this still gives you an error and your NAND is below 9.2.0, follow 9.2.0 CTRTransfer, then try updating again

My firmware currently reads as "Sys 9.2.0-20U" in the settings menu. Does this mean it's safe to update now? Do I even need to update the firmware? Or can I just follow the rest of the guide?

Thanks. It appears to have been Menuhax causing a conflict and preventing the home menu from loading. I was able to delete the relevant Extdata and it boots without problem now.

I'm up to finalising the setup via the 3ds guide, "Section II". My firmware currently reads as "Sys 9.2.0-20U" in the settings menu. Does this mean it's safe to update now? Do I even need to update the firmware? Or can I just follow the rest of the guide?

Yes, it's safe to update your firmware. You don't need to since Luma works on 9.2 but I can't see any benefit from not doing so and several from not needing an emuNAND for post 9.2 games for one. If you choose not to update you can just follow the rest of the guide.

Yes, it's safe to update your firmware. You don't need to since Luma works on 9.2 but I can't see any benefit from not doing so and several from not needing an emuNAND for post 9.2 games for one. If you choose not to update you can just follow the rest of the guide.

So updating via the System Settings menu will ensure I can still access and install home-brew on the latest firmware? The "Sys 9.2.0-20U" made me hesitate, as I read elsewhere the the "Sys" means I'm running the sysNAND and is thus unsafe to run updates.

So updating via the System Settings menu will ensure I can still access and install home-brew on the latest firmware? The "Sys 9.2.0-20U" made me hesitate, as I read elsewhere the the "Sys" means I'm running the sysNAND and is thus unsafe to run updates.

Sys means you're running Sys NAND yes but once your for B9S installed, it's safe to use SysNAND for everything, as the exploit launches super early in the boot sequence and takes over at a point thats close to unpatchable.

It used to be unsafe to update Sys NAND but that hasn't been the case since a9lh around mid last year.

Sys means you're running Sys NAND yes but once your for B9S installed, it's safe to use SysNAND for everything, as the exploit launches super early in the boot sequence and takes over at a point thats close to unpatchable.

It used to be unsafe to update Sys NAND but that hasn't been the case since a9lh around mid last year.

Thank you man. You have been incredibly helpful.

Mirk

For anyone curious, my US New 2DS XL came with 11.4. I updated it to 11.5 and did the System Transfer with DSi save exploit thing using my already hacked New 3DS XL to install homebrew on the New 2DS XL (used 3ds.guide as usual)

Aces I have a n2ds coming tomorrow.

Robin64

At least the new theme website has QR codes that work. :)

There's a nice Sim City one on there, but the guy has chosen some bad colours (white text on yellow background), and his sprite of Dr Wright is way off ratio. Tempted to make one myself.

Robin64

Now you can load amiibo file from SD card,works even on old 3DS

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dev-noamii-amiibo-emulation-within-3ds.479017/

You can backup your own amiibo from N3Ds or o3ds with adapter using this app

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-amibac-an-amiibo-backup-homebrew.479369/

I wonder if this could eventually lead to the 3DS being like the amiiqo, and working as an amiibo that scans on the Wii U and Switch. Like, an app enables the 3DS's NFC chip, pretends to be an amiibo, you touch your 3DS to your Wii U/Switch, tada.

L.O.R.D

I wonder if this could eventually lead to the 3DS being like the amiiqo, and working as an amiibo that scans on the Wii U and Switch. Like, an app enables the 3DS's NFC chip, pretends to be an amiibo, you touch your 3DS to your Wii U/Switch, tada.
Do you mean the 3ds it self will work as amiibo?
i don't think it's possible,mobile phones has NFC chips but they don't work as amiibo,you have to use special NFC tag in order to do that.

Joey Ravn

Banned

NFC cards are like $0.70 a pop, and most modern phones and tablets have NFC chips that can read and write amiibo data.

I think it would be much better to create an app to write those tags from within the 3DS than to turn the 3DS into an NFC tag in itself.

L.O.R.D

If I want to backup and restore my save files, do I need to install additional homebrew software? Or can I use Luma3DS or Godmode?
It's easier to use hombrew software like JKSM,which will let you think backup your digital games save,even apps like Mii Plaza and edit the puzzle pieces in PC app and restore it back.

I've got a New 3DS running Luma CFW (gotta update from arm9loader to b9h or whatever sometime soon.)
I've been running RetroArch 1.3.3 since cracking half a year ago, as at the time (late 2016) later versions seemed to perform significantly worse than 1.3.3.

Does anybody have any direct experience with recent builds (Nightlies, etc) on 3DS? Have there been any significant improvements? If so, which version would make the most sense to update to?

I've got a New 3DS running Luma CFW (gotta update from arm9loader to b9h or whatever sometime soon.)
I've been running RetroArch 1.3.3 since cracking half a year ago, as at the time (late 2016) later versions seemed to perform significantly worse than 1.3.3.

Does anybody have any direct experience with recent builds (Nightlies, etc) on 3DS? Have there been any significant improvements? If so, which version would make the most sense to update to?
We're unlikely to ever see any performance improvements.

RetroArch is a front end to emulators written by other people. Those other people would need to be the ones doing the performance optimisations. And most emulators used by RetroArch are no longer being actively developed. Even then, it's unlikely any optimisations that do trickle through will be applicable to the 3DS.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

We're unlikely to ever see any performance improvements.

RetroArch is a front end to emulators written by other people. Those other people would need to be the ones doing the performance optimisations. And most emulators used by RetroArch are no longer being actively developed. Even then, it's unlikely any optimisations that do trickle through will be applicable to the 3DS.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Huh, that's unfortunate. RetroArch has been really convenient for me.
Well, even if it's not being actively updated anymore-- does anybody know if any of the versions past 1.33 have been shown to be more stabile? I don't know when they stopped updating it, but I know there are a number of 3DS compatible builds available past 1.33...

Huh, that's unfortunate. RetroArch has been really convenient for me.
Well, even if it's not being actively updated anymore-- does anybody know if any of the versions past 1.33 have been shown to be more stabile? I don't know when they stopped updating it, but I know there are a number of 3DS compatible builds available past 1.33...
You've misunderstood my comment. RetroArch is the front end interface and it's still being actively developed. The emulators themselves don't see any real change from version to version because their responsibility lies with other people.

Anyway, look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-emulation-thread-nightly-builds-included.400913/

There are some people who work on the Retroarch cores themselves (some of the votes are significantly better than the last official release of the emulator). But that's mainly PC side, someone interested in and capable of optimising cores for use on specific consoles is fairly rare.

This is what the private exploit testing is supposed to prevent, but I guess the screening didn't went well.

Given that flashcard hack is supposedly in maturing development and not patchable by Nintendo, I imagine it's not a huge setback. Still, they better be careful with Switch hacking.

FSLink

Banned
This is what the private exploit testing is supposed to prevent, but I guess the screening didn't went well.

Given that flashcard hack is supposedly in maturing development and not patchable by Nintendo, I imagine it's not a huge setback. Still, they better be careful with Switch hacking.

Well apparently the guy stole Discord credentials to get the exploit.

Top Bottom