• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

chicnstu

Neo Member
I'm considering buying a Japanese New 3DS LL and installing CFW. I also want to move over my play statistics. Would I be able to simply insert the SD card from my NA New 3DS XL to the Japanese one?

this is what nintendo wanted when they set bounties for hacks.

It's supposed to be for attracting white hat hackers. As an amazing side effect for Nintendo, this damaged the scene fairly significantly by sowing discord amongst the 3DS hacking community.

I'm considering buying a Japanese New 3DS LL and installing CFW. I also want to move over my play statistics. Would I be able to simply insert the SD card from my NA New 3DS XL to the Japanese one?

Not at all. In fact moving an NA system to a Japanese one would be very difficult and involved.

Madao

Not at all. In fact moving an NA system to a Japanese one would be very difficult and involved.

moving the activity log stuff alone isn't too difficult. the hard stuff is the account, especially if he has digital games.

if he only uses physical games, it's a lot more doable.

Hey guys, I need some help over here. I homebrewed my n3ds xl back in january, but only about a couple of months ago I started having a particular problem. The problem is this: sometimes my n3ds won't recognize a 3ds game card I just inserted, and I have to take it in and out until it recognizes it. This happens with all my 3ds game cards. As for DS games, it's worse, it just simply dosn't recognize them. I have MM Zero MM ZX and Advent, Pokemon White 2 and Ouendan, and it doesn't recognize anyone, even though it did before, even when I homebrewed. Is there a solution? Do I have to update the homebrew manually or does it update automatically? (I haven't updated since I homebrewed back in January 2017) My n3ds xl is currently at 11.4.0-37U.

zeomax

Hey guys, I need some help over here. I homebrewed my n3ds xl back in january, but only about a couple of months ago I started having a particular problem. The problem is this: sometimes my n3ds won't recognize a 3ds game card I just inserted, and I have to take it in and out until it recognizes it. This happens with all my 3ds game cards. As for DS games, it's worse, it just simply dosn't recognize them. I have MM Zero MM ZX and Advent, Pokemon White 2 and Ouendan, and it doesn't recognize anyone, even though it did before, even when I homebrewed. Is there a solution? Do I have to update the homebrew manually or does it update automatically? (I haven't updated since I homebrewed back in January 2017) My n3ds xl is currently at 11.4.0-37U.

This looks like a hardware problem, not software.

This looks like a hardware problem, not software.

At first I thought this, but then why does it read 3ds cards but not Ds. Also, when I'm playing the game cards don't stop working or anything, it just happens when I insert a game on the home menu.

PS: I forgot to mention, when I meant it didn't read the DS game cards, what I meant was that, just like the 3ds games, the game pops up in and out in the home menu, but unlike the 3ds games, I can't play DS games because when I open them a black screen pops up and the game freezes.

Robin64

At first I thought this, but then why does it read 3ds cards but not Ds. Also, when I'm playing the game cards don't stop working or anything, it just happens when I insert a game on the home menu.

PS: I forgot to mention, when I meant it didn't read the DS game cards, what I meant was that, just like the 3ds games, the game pops up in and out in the home menu, but unlike the 3ds games, I can't play DS games because when I open them a black screen pops up and the game freezes.

Try the bottom fix on this page for your DS games

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/FAQ-and-troubleshooting

Can i safely delete the HBL, FBI, LumaUpdater - when there are 3dsx versions of these via Rosalina?

I believe you have to allow Arm9 header patching from the boot menu for 3dsx FBI to write to NAND so you may wish to keep the CIA for convenience. But otherwise yeah, the 3dsx versions can do everything assuming the Arm9 patching boot option and with both Rosalina patch options are enabled at the time its launched.

HBL can definitely go though , it's got no use other than being a placeholder if nothing else is set.

So I'm using Homebrew Launcher and Menu Hax. And I'm having a hard time launching dq11.

I can't get it to load. It freezes when I start up. Dq theatrhythm still runs fine though

I'm sorry if this is considered not conforming to the forum rules, but I just want to say that I'm selling my PAL 3DS XL on 4.5 OFW and my copy of Cubic Ninja, and I'll be happy if this goes to fellow gaffer. If you're interested PM me and I'll send you the link to the auction site that hosts the listing. EU only.

Am I missing something or is it pretty much impossible to get home brew unless you have a 3DS already exploited?

Depends. If you didn't update the firmware too much you have a few options open. If you do have latest firmware running on an NN3DS, you can run some simpler programs, though not nearly all of them.

Otherwise, you are out of luck at the moment... but that has happened before, and I know about that pretty well. I imagine that the flashcart hack will come within next two months or so and will stay afloat for a long, long time.

Am I missing something or is it pretty much impossible to get home brew unless you have a 3DS already exploited?

If you're on 11.4 or 11.5 a Hardmod or Pre-exploited 3DS is necessary. Anything below that is trivially hackable now.

Magnethax should remove that requirement but would still need a NDS flashcard (though progress on that beyond a successful PoC hasn't been updated in a while).

(Magnethax would require a hardware revision to fix, it launches before anything updatable is active. )

Edit - Actually above post is probably correct about low access *hax payloads. AFAIK OoTHax aren't and can't really be fixed.

How do I update GodMode9?

Replace the GodMode9 firm file in Luma/Payloads with the latest version (you should also read the documentation because some reorganisation of folder structure for the supplementary files is necessary as of a couple of versions ago. None of that is necessary on B9S but it can enable some additional features).

I hacked my 3DS months ago, maybe around November, do I need to do anything to get caught up?

You're a long way behind. You need to update to Luma 7.1, move from A9Lhax to B9S , and then update to Luma 8.1. You also need to update your Homebrew Loader stuff (grab the latest zip) and update all Luma Payloads to the 8.1 version.

randomkid

You're a long way behind. You need to update to Luma 7.1, move from A9Lhax to B9S , and then update to Luma 8.1. You also need to update your Homebrew Loader stuff (grab the latest zip) and update all Luma Payloads to the 8.1 version.

I hacked my 3DS just a couple months ago and followed 3DS guide at the time. Do I need to do anything if I want to go from 11.4 to 11.5? I just wanna download some eshop demos but also have my 3DS stay region-free afterward. It's very confusing what I need to update each time there's a new Nintendo firmware update (Luma? boot9s?) and how I need to update it, for a beginner at least. 3DSguide doesn't really explain that anywhere as far as I can tell.

OmegaFax

I hacked my 3DS just a couple months ago and followed 3DS guide at the time. Do I need to do anything if I want to go from 11.4 to 11.5? I just wanna download some eshop demos but also have my 3DS stay region-free afterward. It's very confusing what I need to update each time there's a new Nintendo firmware update (Luma? boot9s?) and how I need to update it, for a beginner at least. 3DSguide doesn't really explain that anywhere as far as I can tell.

If you've done the B9S guide, you can go from 11.4 -> 11.5 using the official updater in System Settings.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's great to know. Is it going to be like that for all future updates too or do I need to check in each time?

You'll want to hold off on official updates until word is received that they're safe. There MAY be updates that lock down certain parts of the homebrew update process, which would necessitate updating to new versions of Luma and/or B9S before initiating an official system update. That's just good advice in general. Hold off until the update is investigated. Edit - Reddit and GBATemp are good places to follow when updates hit.

Top Bottom