• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

mrk8885

Banned
Ok. Ive successfully followed the steps and now have my region free n3ds. Guess I'll keep my order for the import U.K. Version of the samus returns special edition.

I was surprised to see that one of the first steps to "finalize" my installation was to do a system update. Gave me a little pause but did it with no problem. I guess I didn't realize system updates were safe with this stuff. I'd love to still access eShop and buy games.

mrk8885

Banned
of course you can.

People seem to keep saying "of course" to this type of question. I guess I just don't know enough about how these exploits work and how people can be so confident they aren't going to get banned.
I'm still pretty new to 3DS homebrew. Just surprised that system updates and eShop access don't seem to be a problem once you've done it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
People seem to keep saying "of course" to this type of question. I guess I just don't know enough about how these exploits work and how people can be so confident they aren't going to get banned.

Just by having a CFW you put yourself at risk of getting banned. But... Getting banned doesn't mean you can't access the eShop :S

Most of the bans Nintendo handles are console bans, meaning that your console is blocked from accessing most services that require connection to the Nintendo servers: Pokémon Bank, multiplayer, online friends, etc. But you can still access the eShop, buy stuff and, if you migrate your account to a new 3DS, your online privileges are restored. An account ban, which outright blocks your account from accessing anything and everything, is very, very uncommon.

mrk8885

Banned
Just by having a CFW you put yourself at risk of getting banned. But... Getting banned doesn't mean you can't access the eShop :S

Most of the bans Nintendo handles are console bans, meaning that your console is blocked from accessing most services that require connection to the Nintendo servers: Pokémon Bank, multiplayer, online friends, etc. But you can still access the eShop, buy stuff and, if you migrate your account to a new 3DS, your online privileges are restored. An account ban, which outright blocks your account from accessing anything and everything, is very, very uncommon.

Gotcha. Sounds good to me.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Can anyone tell me what are the best emulators for the New 3DS? Also what is the best way to play regular DS roms on it?

Gaardus

[QUOTE="D";243617032]Can anyone tell me what are the best emulators for the New 3DS? Also what is the best way to play regular DS roms on it?[/QUOTE]
DS ROMs will basically require a flashcard of some sort. There's a homebrew effort to load DS games from the SD card, but only a small handful of games work at all, let alone work well.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
DS ROMs will basically require a flashcard of some sort. There's a homebrew effort to load DS games from the SD card, but only a small handful of games work at all, let alone work well.

What flashcarts would I need or what can you recommend?

Chibot

Does Picross 3D Round 2 work with Regionfour?

Also, the how-to link seems to be down- anyone know of another link to the install instructions?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Does Picross 3D Round 2 work with Regionfour?

Also, the how-to link seems to be down- anyone know of another link to the install instructions?

I guess it should, since it's game agnostic. But you don't need RegionFOUR anymore if you are using a CFW like Luma. Region-free has been part of Luma (and others) for quite a while now.

I want to jump from A9LH to B9S, but the last time I updated everything was iiiin... January? December? So long ago that I don't remember, and I lost the track of what is happening in the scene. What are the benefits of B9S?

Gaardus

I want to jump from A9LH to B9S, but the last time I updated everything was iiiin... January? December? So long ago that I don't remember, and I lost the track of what is happening in the scene. What are the benefits of B9S?
The exploit B9S uses is essentially unpatchable, and it's easier to install than A9LH, but you should really only be concerned about the fact that Luma has dropped support for A9LH; current and new versions won't work with A9LH.

Luma has added a few new features since you last updated, including an in-game menu that lets you take screenshots anywhere and change clock speed on the fly (New 3DS only), and the ability to hide the homebrew launcher inside any other app.

Luma has added a few new features since you last updated, including an in-game menu that lets you take screenshots anywhere and change clock speed on the fly (New 3DS only), and the ability to hide the homebrew launcher inside any other app.

Oh! This is a fantastic news! I'll fill my card with screenshots, immediately :)

So when I try to turn on my 3ds the blue light flashes for a second and then turns off.

Am i fucked?

This just means that B9S was successful but it was unable to launch a payload. It can almost always be fixed by grabbing the latest stable Luma and putting it in your SD card root after making sure your SD card is fine.

(The other possibikity is you forgot to move from the early version of B9S before upgrading Luma, you should check what version of Luma works with your B9S version, revert to it and then update B9S first in that case. )

quick question. I have a N3dsXL running 10.1 using the newest exploits. I have LUMA fully updated as well .Is it safe to update the 3ds itself to the newest fw?

quick question. I have a N3dsXL running 10.1 using the newest exploits. I have LUMA fully updated as well .Is it safe to update the 3ds itself to the newest fw?

Yup.

(As of this post, which is version 11.5 for future readers.

Current state is:

Last Independently CFWable version is 11.3, you need a hard mod / 2nd pre-CFWed 3DS to install on unhacked 11.4 / 11.5.

*Hax works up to 11.3 on OFW o3DS and 11.5 on n3DS
(assuming you have an entry point of course).

Rosalina allows *hax style apps to run on any Luma setup.

)

This just means that B9S was successful but it was unable to launch a payload. It can almost always be fixed by grabbing the latest stable Luma and putting it in your SD card root after making sure your SD card is fine.

(The other possibikity is you forgot to move from the early version of B9S before upgrading Luma, you should check what version of Luma works with your B9S version, revert to it and then update B9S first in that case. )

Yup it was the second one

MRORANGE

A question about emulation if someone can help me out.

What is the state of psx/n64 emulation?

I was hoping to get a 2dsxl as portable retro console and to catch up on DS games I never finished.

A question about emulation if someone can help me out.

What is the state of psx/n64 emulation?

I was hoping to get a 2dsxl as portable retro console and to catch up on DS games I never finished.

Psx and N64 emulation are virtually non existent on the 3ds. No where near playable. If you are after a handheld for emulation purposes you are much better going with something like the gpd XD

N64 emulation is kinda crappy even on PC. I think the Wii U VC is the best bet condole wise but thats very hit and miss since it's only targeted at a few specific games.

p4LQrSz.png

Can you guys spot anything else I can delete here? I am running on B9S. I want my SD as clean as it can be. I think I will delete mGBA, since there is awesome injector.

Producer

Just saw my brother's Vita with CFW. That screen is so gorgeous. I've loved my 3DS, but I might finally jump ship. Anyone here also have a Vita with CFW ?

Yep, i got both systems with cfw. While vita has better tech, emulation on n3ds is superior. gba and snes for example, n3ds is just alot better, whether you're using official VC, injects, or homebrew emulators.

Vita is good for psp and ps1 games though.

Oh neat! And eliminates the need for a flashcart, I imagine?

Unfortunately the architecture is probably the same as the 3DS which means fast enough reading for smooth play from the SD card is unlikely to be achieved for all games.

Can you guys spot anything else I can delete here? I am running on B9S. I want my SD as clean as it can be. I think I will delete mGBA, since there is awesome injector.

Assuming you have appropriate backups:

You should only need boot.firm, NTR.bin and 3dsx.boot (the latest one with Rosalina support) in root for files.

For directories
The 3ds requires: DCIM, Nintendo 3DS, and Themes (though it can rebuild Themes if it's missing).

You seem to have a Private folder on root but normally that would be inside Nintendo 3DS so not sure what's going on there, maybe you have it as a backup or it contains something you injected ?

You only need files9 if you use Decrypt9WIP. Unless you use Citra you should probably be using GodMode9 instead since it's only missing feature is dumping certain config files for Citra in unpacked form.

GodMode9 requires GM9

Luma requires Luma.

Homebrew requires 3ds.

Plugins is required if you use NTR plugins.

Stuff that isn't required but you might be using for organising stuff so delete at your discretion: cias, misc, content

Everything else should be fine to go.

So wait, if my N3DS gets banned, then I could just system transfer to another N3DS and my Pokebank would still be functional then?

That makes me feel a lot better about attempting a Living Dex if so.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So wait, if my N3DS gets banned, then I could just system transfer to another N3DS and my Pokebank would still be functional then?

That makes me feel a lot better about attempting a Living Dex if so.

Yes. If it's a console ban, it doesn't migrate to a new console when you do a system transfer. If it's an account ban... you're fucked.

Geist-

Haven't used my 3ds since March, decided to check up on the new homebrew. Updated from a9lh to b9s, everything works. And then I saw the news about the banwave. :-/

Anyone know if just using homebrew apps can get people banned? I turned off the spotpass and friends stuff during the b9s upgrade, but now I'm wondering if I should just turn off wifi completely. If I can keep my 3ds online, should I update the system software to 11.5 or keep it on 11.3? Using luma3ds.

Haven't used my 3ds since March, decided to check up on the new homebrew. Updated from a9lh to b9s, everything works. And then I saw the news about the banwave. :-/

Anyone know if just using homebrew apps can get people banned? I turned off the spotpass and friends stuff during the b9s upgrade, but now I'm wondering if I should just turn off wifi completely. If I can keep my 3ds online, should I update the system software to 11.5 or keep it on 11.3? Using luma3ds.

We still don't know what caused the banwave. If you don't feel like risking it, stick to using homebrew stuff through Rosalina's special homebrew launcher injection.

randomkid

Very dumb question I can't seem to find the answer for.

I got the latest CFW on my 3DS a couple of months ago, and then updated to the latest firmware at the time (11.4). Now I see there's a new firmware update. In order to keep everything I've got, do I just need to go into Luma, update, and then I'm safe to upgrade firmware again and go to the eShop?

Madao

Very dumb question I can't seem to find the answer for.

I got the latest CFW on my 3DS a couple of months ago, and then updated to the latest firmware at the time (11.4). Now I see there's a new firmware update. In order to keep everything I've got, do I just need to go into Luma, update, and then I'm safe to upgrade firmware again and go to the eShop?

as long as your homebrew is up to date, you're good to update. i already did and HBL works.

randomkid

as long as your homebrew is up to date, you're good to update. i already did and HBL works.

how do you check that? I opened up the little homebrew launcher app (1.1.1) and see all these things like httpwn and eshop (only for <10.4) and have no clue what to do haha.

Raw64life

I'm looking to make my OG 3DS region free. I see the guide in the OP, but I thought I'd ask a dumb question before I got started.

What's the safest way to backup all my system files before I start doing this? I have a laptop with an SD card slot in it. Is it as simple as throwing my SD card in there and copying the contents? That sounds too easy to be true. I want to know in case I want to revert my 3DS back to its natural state at some point, if and how it would be possible to do that. Thanks.

I'm looking to make my OG 3DS region free. I see the guide in the OP, but I thought I'd ask a dumb question before I got started.

What's the safest way to backup all my system files before I start doing this? I have a laptop with an SD card slot in it. Is it as simple as throwing my SD card in there and copying the contents? That sounds too easy to be true. I want to know in case I want to revert my 3DS back to its natural state at some point, if and how it would be possible to do that. Thanks.

Almost. Depending on your hacking method you may also be able to make a NAND backup before actually changing the firmware which will let you completely return the console to its current state.

Raw64life

Almost. Depending on your hacking method you may also be able to make a NAND backup before actually changing the firmware which will let you completely return the console to its current state.

Thanks for the info. What hacking method should I be on the lookout for that would enable me to do that? My 3DS is on 11.3.0-36U if that matters.

Producer

super late but just updated from luma 7.1 to 8.1. alot of good stuff.

Didnt get banned during that whole banning craze but i've been using the 3dsx feature on stock apps just to be safe. Probably doesnt matter but it makes me feel a bit better lol

Thanks for the info. What hacking method should I be on the lookout for that would enable me to do that? My 3DS is on 11.3.0-36U if that matters.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what the current way to make a prepatory NAND backup is, Luma 8/8.1 and the B9S changes invalidated the stuff from last time I had to look.

What you're looking for is either a built in NAND Dumper / Backup in your B9S installer or a way to run GodMode9 before installing B9S (it's possible you can do this by dropping in an appropriate GM9 version instead of the B9S installer ).

In terms of the unbanning tool - I never use any updater apps on my system simply because there's no reason to if you aren't lazy as fuck. It turns out it wasn't intentionally uploading data but it was anyway and the dev says he's fixing it. But if you're unbanning your 3DS if you got hit by it, just replace the seed manually. It takes 2 minutes to download and replace your seed file.

Top Bottom