• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

ec0ec0

;_; i won :') i have a copy and a funny story.
I live in spain. Like i previously said, i called the store and "reserved" the game 8 hours ago, but i couldnt go to the store until now. When i called the store, it was easy for them to tell that i was REALLY interested in the game but, obviouly, i didnt explain the guy why i wanted "Cubic Ninja". I am not stupid.

When i arrived to the store i was nervous, but the game was still there waiting for me :) Apparently, the employee didnt give the game to someone that called the store some hours latter than me!! When that second person (i hope that it wasnt any of you :p) called, on the same day, asking for f*cking Cubic Ninja... at first, they though that it was me calling again haha.

They knew that it was not a coincidence that multiple persons were asking about a game like that. AFTER i got the game, they asked about it. I had the game, their only copy (and none on their stores around here had another copy) so, i answered. I only said two things:

1. That the game costs much more than what i just paid. After me saying that, they said "more!?" (i paid 13eur, they thought that their price was expensive)

2. and finally i told them that we will be able to have homebrew in the future using that game. After hearing that, the guy that had saved the game for me said "i have a 3ds, i am going to buy Cubic Ninja". And, as he said that, i put the game in my backpack, in front of him, and left.

I have no idea about what he may think after seeing online prices... ;p

Edit: new story for new page haha

Just called up my local movie traders, picked up 3 of them for $8 each. WOOT

Cubic-Ninja_3DS_US_ESRB.jpg

They probably did and are now selling it for $100 a piece.
Ordered the game from Gameseek (via Play.com) this morning before leaving for work, bad decision in the end, they decided to cancel and say they never had stock of it in the first place (despite having 22 on their website this morning). A company to avoid in the future.
Gameseek have a very bad reputation for listing games they don't have in stock. They did this some months ago with Kirby's Adventure Wii. Not sure if that is better than scalper or not...

PSGames

Couldn't they patch this by the time the New 3DS is released? Seems weird to release it now given that fact.

ec0ec0

Lately, people have been complaining about ubisoft anti consumer tactics but, you know what?? they gave us homebrew, nintendo didnt xD

If you already have a Gateway and a Gateway compatible 3DS what is the benefit of this new exploit?
Unless I'm missing something: Gateway users don't get any direct benefits right now. What Gateway users may get is greater interest of homebrew developers and thus more homebrew apps for everyone, including Gateway users. This is obviously subject to change if someone finds a new kernel exploit, or if Gateway developers decide to utilize this somehow.

And they actually could utilize this somehow, now that I think about it, but I'd better save this idea to myself.

Playing the game now, it's actually quite good.
This is definitely not a typical opinion.

Eh. I dont see what advantage homebrew on a 3ds would have over a psp. Doesn't seem even worth the effort.

- Create software to take advantage of the 3D effect, maybe a way to stream 3D movies from a PC

- More inputs including the touch screen, gyro, and support for circle pad pro or New 3DS stick

- Improved specifications like double/quadruple the RAM (depending on if it's New 3DS), that alone is a huge benefit

- Use standard SD cards instead of needing shitty memory sticks

- Already compatible with loads of great existing DS/GBA/GB homebrew

Kouriozan

Ordered the game from Gameseek (via Play.com) this morning before leaving for work, bad decision in the end, they decided to cancel and say they never had stock of it in the first place (despite having 22 on their website this morning). A company to avoid in the future.

Oh yeah, I remember it, and it's 72€ now, damn.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do we know how much hardware resoures this 3DS hack has access to? On the Vita, all the user-mode hacks doesnt have access to all of Vita's hardware resources.

Only if ubisoft ever bothers responding about it.
Depending on how the exploit works, Nintendo might be able to fix it. A lot of PSP games, both 1st party and 3rd party games, have been exploitable to be used on the Vita, and Sony themself has fixed those through firmware updates.

CompC

Eh. I dont see what advantage homebrew on a 3ds would have over a psp. Doesn't seem even worth the effort.

What if you don't have a PSP? I do, but… I only use it for homebrew. I don't even play PSP games on my PSP. I play PSP games in PPSSPP on my computer.

My PSP is my handheld SNES/GBA machine. But I'd much rather play those on just my 3DS, so I have one less device to carry around.

B2v3jGOCEAEv5PM.jpg

just picked it up for 4 bucks along with a gamestick which can be modded as well for the psp emulator and others. gonna be a fun time

Alfredo

I ordered this from BestBuy.com last night, but I just now got an email telling me it's on back-order.

Kinda lame, but oh well!

Chucker

Scooped up the last cart at my GameStop for $4.50.
Asked the employees after I bought it if anybody had been asking about it and they had no clue.

I'm pretty sure they could patch it.

- Release as a required and automatic system update

- Block Cubic Ninja from booting on the 3DS on a hardware level, pop up a message saying that the game is being used for system exploits and will be patched to work again at a later date

Done.

I don't think you can ever "require" an update, only required if you want to use the online aspects

And I highly doubt blocking CN on a hardware level is even possible, you can't block a game that a consumer bought because it's being used as an exploit

I don't think you can ever "require" an update, only required if you want to use the online aspects

And I highly doubt blocking CN on a hardware level is even possible, you can't block a game that a consumer bought because it's being used as an exploit

I swear I have clicked on a game from the home screen, and a popup immediately came up that said "the game could not be launched because an update is required, go to the eShop to download it." Pokemon X has done this to me in particular.

And like I said before, even if they aren't willing to block the game outright, they can easily nerf it until a more complete patch can be issued. Whoops, our patch "accidentally" broke certain functionality. Our bad.

Shouta

I placed a hold at Gamestop for this and called to ask if they still had my hold and they said they did. Hopefully it's there when I go after work.

B.K.

After hearing stories about Ebay sellers cancelling and relisting orders, I guess I got pretty lucky. I got shipping notification for mine today. It was $5 for a new, sealed copy and $3 for shipping.

Welp I gave it a shot at my local Gamestop, Best Buy, and GEX shop, and no luck. Going to have to sit this one out and just use the DS cart emulators.

At least I picked up Hotel Dusk Room 215 for $5.

I placed a hold at Gamestop for this and called to ask if they still had my hold and they said they did. Hopefully it's there when I go after work.

technically they are suppose to hold it for 48 hours. Depends on the employee and if actually checks id for anyone else coming in there asking for it. If they sell it, that employee gets into some shit though.

I swear I have clicked on a game from the home screen, and a popup immediately came up that said "the game could not be launched because an update is required, go to the eShop to download it." Pokemon X has done this to me in particular.

And like I said before, even if they aren't willing to block the game outright, they can easily nerf it until a more complete patch can be issued. Whoops, our patch "accidentally" broke certain functionality. Our bad.

The Wii had that too--the way around that is to mod your OS to think its a newer version than it actually is, or to mod the game to remove that requirement.

You can block it from running if the user doesn't have a patch installed that removes the exploit. If you distribute the patch along with the firmware update that blocks the game, no one would even notice unless they go and uninstall the patch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't believe I missed this. Fuck. I need it more than most since my 3ds does not match the region where I live. :-/

Game is sold out absolutely everywhere nearby where I live.

I'll wait for it to get back in stock, no real rush for something that doesn't look to be completely polished just yet.

Rich!

I'll wait for it to get back in stock, no real rush for something that doesn't look to be completely polished just yet.

Sorry, but thats never going to happen.

It's a launch era game that has been out of print for years. Not only that, but the exploit requires the game each time to load. No one will be getting rid of theirs, and the ones that do will sell it for high amounts.

You gotta wait for another exploit.

gngf123

Game is sold out absolutely everywhere nearby where I live.

It's an out of print game, they most likely won't be getting much more stock. Your main hope is that the used market picks up.

And my hope too, since my order seems to be cancelled.

Seventy70

I like how this person tried to cover the original price up with electrical tape lmao
You can even see the roll of tape in the corner of the picture

fred

Great to hear, looking forward to playing 3D films not separated into 10 minute chunks!

Hopefully it's not going to be patched anytime soon too!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I like how this person tried to cover the original price up with electrical tape lmao
You can even see the roll of tape in the corner of the picture

I see a '1' at the beginning. Must've been $100. Cheap!

Top Bottom