• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Launching February 26th For 25000 Yen In Japan, March In US/EU, Features Detailed

Amir0x

Banned
your irrational hatred of Jak II holds no sway here, ser. it had many good platforming segments and yes it was tied together by a mostly mediocre open world crap but...

...why am i arguing this

too late Anihawk TOO LATE :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Amir0x said:
oh Ping Pals is WORSE, yes, but Sprung still really is that terrible :lol

Yeah, the comparison is what I'm going for.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this:

You'd get Sprung as a gift for someone you didn't like.

You'd get Ping Pals as a gift for someone where shitting in their cornflakes is too good for them, you wouldn't want them to get any nutritional benefit from you whatsoever. :lol

ntropy said:
i think you mean the original OoT instead of "remake." still pretty mangled.

garish > Geppetto's wood carving OoT Link

No, the original OoT is your first love whom all other girls are subconsciously compared to no matter how unfair it is to them.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
your irrational hatred of Jak II holds no sway here, ser. it had many good platforming segments and yes it was tied together by a mostly mediocre open world crap but...

...why am i arguing this

too late Anihawk TOO LATE :lol

You'll be hearing from my attorney. He sounds a lot like me, looks a lot like me, and shares a lot of the same mannerisms, but I can assure you he is actually not me.

ntropy

OrangeGrayBlue said:
No, the original OoT is your first love whom all other girls are subconsciously compared to no matter how unfair it is to them.
but i hate my first love! fuckin crazy bitch

Amir0x

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Has this video about Kingdom Hearts 3D already been posted?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeLgJf-XV6I

Nomura says the 3 in 3D could imply that this is the third iteration of the series.

a hundred times including its own GAF thread

but of course, since Nomura specifically said there won't be a Kingdom Hearts 3 even by 2012, his comment is clearly just referencing that they're going to be putting a lot of effort into this game as if it was like a third incarnation, probably a Birth By Sleep calibre title in the series.

DiscoJer

Wolves Evolve said:
Sprung had a Janis Joplin joke and a transexual Indian.

Launch game of the forever.

Indeed. Sprung was pretty funny. I'm not saying it was a great game, but it was like an 80s movie (albeit with 90/00s jokes/terminology) turned into a mediocre adventure game. It was fun.

sinxtanx

ILikeFeet said:
a video showing the Target Shooting, pictures and Mii Creator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtDl0LaYpo
Soooo....

Does this video show that you don't need the cradle to charge?

NuZG6.png

Don't know if this has been posted.

Luigiv

sinxtanx said:
Soooo....

Does this video show that you don't need the cradle to charge?

http://imgur.com/NuZG6.png[IMG]

Don't know if this has been posted.[/QUOTE]
Well the official specs already list the cradle and the charger separately under the "what's in the box" catagory and we've already seen the charger port on the back of the system, so I think most people just assumed this would be the case.

I don't think Nintendo would overlook something so simple. I have no doubt in my mind that the cradle is simply for convenience, and that you can plug the actual charger into the cradle or directly to the 3DS. Surely nintendo is aware that people want to play while charging.

Jackano

Same charger as the DSi, is my bet since the first photos we saw back on E3. Plus, this is the same sheme as for GBA and DS.

This picture don't tell us something new. What, Nintendo use wires for charging a 3DS that needs to stand all the day for people who want to try it? Plus, some anti-steal device on its back too?

EVH

If you watch the TagMode video again, you can see that there is some kind of charger plugged to the craddle. And what happens if you want to play while charging? With that craddle you can't, so I believe that you can plug the charger directly to 3DS or simply plug it to the craddle and put 3DS there.

Luigiv

EVH said:
If you watch the TagMode video again, you can see that there is some kind of charger plugged to the craddle. And what happens if you want to play while charging? With that craddle you can't, so I believe that you can plug the charger directly to 3DS or simply plug it to the craddle and put 3DS there.
Yep, pretty much what I'm expecting too. Makes sense. What I'm curious about is how the cradle works. In the video, it doesn't look like the 3DS is being plugged into it so could that mean it's an induction charger?

szaromir

Banned
Why is this cradle included in the box? I hope it won't be in Europe, I don't want to pay for that junk. I know it costs pennies, but Nintendo will use it and tiny SD card as an excuse to inflate the price.

Luigiv

szaromir said:
Why is this cradle included in the box? I hope it won't be in Europe, I don't want to pay for that junk. I know it costs pennies, but Nintendo will use it and tiny SD card as an excuse to inflate the price.
The cradle is more convenient to use then a loose cable, which would encourage people to charge it every night and promote the system as more of a "lifestyle" device. The SD card is in there so they can avoid adding USB support to the device.

Gravijah

szaromir said:

They could always remove it and charge you 250 euros anyway.

Luigiv said:
The cradle is more convenient to use then a loose cable, which would encourage people to charge it every night and cement the system as more of a "lifestyle" device. The SD card is in there so they can avoid adding USB support to the device.

Is it really more convenient than a smaller cable? I honestly have never understood that.

Luigiv

Gravijah said:
Is it really more convenient than a smaller cable? I honestly have never understood that.
Not by a great deal, but enough so to serve Nintendo's purpose. Think of it this way, if you have the cradle on a desk already, all you need to do is place the system on it. If you're going to use a cable then you have to dig around for it off the floor between your 50 million other cables, untangle it and then plug it in. It's a small difference but in this day and age of super convenience it's noticeable.

ShinNL

Besides convenience it's also a cosmetic thing. With a cradle you can tuck the cable somewhere so it looks clean, but if you want to play your DS regularly without a cradle you'll have to have a cable plug snaking around.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Even if they took the cradle out, it would still be the same price.

Taker666

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't think Nintendo would overlook something so simple. I have no doubt in my mind that the cradle is simply for convenience, and that you can plug the actual charger into the cradle or directly to the 3DS. Surely nintendo is aware that people want to play while charging.

It could be argued that due to having a charging "home" for the 3DS..most users won't get to the point where they ever need to play while it's charging....

...they'll just automatically place the 3DS in the cradle when it's not being used. Meaning every morning it will be in a fully charged state (and it's unlikely they will fully discharge the 3DS in the space of that day).

It's a simple but very smart move by Nintendo IMO (especially considering their plans for wi-fi updates etc).

Jackano said:
Same charger as the DSi, is my bet since the first photos we saw back on E3. Plus, this is the same sheme as for GBA and DS.

A Nintendo representative told me it would be a new charge-plug for the 3DS when I asked them during my hands-on at GamesCom.

Frillen

Gravijah said:
Ugh, price price price. It's gonna be months before we find out the NA/Europe/etc prices, isn't it?

Hopefully within a month, or I will kill myself. But seriously, I think it's for the better that we don't get to know an announcment of an announcment of a date. Or we will have the madness X2 that was pre 29 September.

wsippel

Banned
Luigiv said:
The cradle is more convenient to use then a loose cable, which would encourage people to charge it every night and promote the system as more of a "lifestyle" device. The SD card is in there so they can avoid adding USB support to the device.
I think an even bigger factor is that the cradle doubles as a display stand. Nintendo needs people talking about the device and early adopters showing it to other people, and the cradle ensures that it will be kept in a prominent spot where visitors should see it, which might encourage them to ask about it.

ShinNL

wsippel said:
I think an even bigger factor is that the cradle doubles as a display stand. Nintendo needs people talking about the device and early adopters showing it to other people, and the cradle ensures that it will be kept in a prominent spot where visitors should see it, which might encourage them to ask about it.
Yeah, that's probably the main reason. DSi XL was also made to just sit there and whisper: look at me~ touch me~

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm in the 'I don't give a shit how much it costs'. The only reason I hope it's cheap so I don't have to deal with cheap-asses going to me 'Derrr Vook why is it so much'.

Like I'm fucking Nintendo and set the price.

Gravijah

VOOK said:
I'm in the 'I don't give a shit how much it costs'. The only reason I hope it's cheap so I don't have to deal with cheap-asses going to me 'Derrr Vook why is it so much'.

Like I'm fucking Nintendo and set the price.

If it's cheap, I'm going to personally write you a letter that asks why it costs so little.

And then thank you.

Mr Nintendo of Australia.

Luigiv

Gravijah said:
If it's cheap, I'm going to personally write you a letter that asks why it costs so little.

And then thank you.

Mr Nintendo of Australia.
Given that the Australian dollar is currently buying 97 US cents; what's cheap to us will make you rage.

Jackano

Frillen said:
Hopefully within a month, or I will kill myself. But seriously, I think it's for the better that we don't get to know an announcment of an announcment of a date. Or we will have the madness X2 that was pre 29 September.
I remember in january 2005 an european conference where they announced the EU DS launch details, including the date and price for march 2005.

I don't think they will (strongly) communicate again this year aound the 3DS, but as soon as the holiday period will end, we will get a strong focus on 3DS. It was the same planning for the GBASP. So, we will see in january 2011.

AniHawk said:
The game I'm more interested as far as new content is Star Fox 64 3D. I don't think we've heard many details about that game vs. OoT, which Aonuma has said won't just be a technical visual improvement.

Nintendo's remakes and upgrades for handhelds (in list form):

Super Mario Advance 2: SMW: Sprite changes, voice work added, Mario Bros. for multiplayer. Luigi acts like he does in SMA, and there is no two player for the main game.

They also added the Peach coins challenge, the stage list to complete by beating it with both characters, score system tied with the last star you get in the title screen, the intro with the Picnic scene, the congratularions photo at the ending and other little things like having a total of 999 lives.
Yeah, I love this game.

am i the only one thinking that they made the DSi to off set the cost for the form factor for the 3DS? It's like yeah let's make a half way machine so we can make the 3DS form factor for much cheaper then if we had nothing to start with. Nintendo is so cheap

Gravijah

Technosteve said:
am i the only one thinking that they made the DSi to off set the cost for the form factor for the 3DS? It's like yeah let's make a half way machine so we can make the 3DS form factor for much cheaper then if we had nothing to start with. Nintendo is so cheap

They made the DS form factor in preparation for the 3DS 6 years later.

Top Bottom