• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Launching February 26th For 25000 Yen In Japan, March In US/EU, Features Detailed

Gravijah

AceBandage said:
3DS_PaperMario_02ss02_E3.png
Ooh, that's cool. Having your menu choice pop out.

I shiver just thinking about Ping Pals. I bought two copies for full price thinking it was a better Pictochat. That is literally the absolute worst game I've ever bought. And I don't buy games I don't like which is weird.

El_Six

Neo Member
really excited about this going to be a bit pricey considering you can get a console for that price, but the tech behind it makes me want to want :)

Defending WayForward for a second, if you'll remember, when Nintendo originally showed off Pictochat, there was no guarantee (or even hint?) they were going to bundle it in with the system. That announcement came pretty close to launch if I'm remembering right, which by then Ping Pals would've been pretty much done. It was either go ahead and release the game for whatever sales they could scrounge, or just throw all of the money they spent on development in the trash. Which they effectively did anyway, but it's not like they had much of a choice.

At least it had some Shantae love in it. :D

I really wanted to like Sprung, but it committed a huge adventure game sin: dialog trees where the choice didn't reflect the attitude of your whole response. I picked a completely neutral response at one point, then the next line following my character's a complete asshole and gets me a game over. Other times it was completely random what would happen after your first statement, it really didn't matter how much logic you tried to apply to the situation because your player character would have a huge attitude shift or do something clumsy or stupid you had no control over.

Nekofrog

Banned
It should practically be bannable at this point to ask/infer about Paper Mario being a SPM entry as opposed to a regular PM-style game. It's been covered THAT many times...

Nekofrog said:
It should practically be bannable at this point to ask/infer about Paper Mario being a SPM entry as opposed to a regular PM-style game. It's been covered THAT many times...

Or asking if it's a port.
:lol

Rubius

QuiteWhittle said:
The 3DS has plenty of ports. Zelda, StarFox, MGS, SSFIV, Paper Mario, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus...
I dont think you can put Kid Icarus as a port...
Or Paper Mario 3...
Those are brand new games.

defferoo

what do you guys count as a port vs a remake? I say Zelda and starfox are remakes, tales and street fighter iv are ports. mgs... not so sure what changes are being made so I can't say. and pilotwings is a brand new title.

Luigiv

defferoo said:
what do you guys count as a port vs a remake? I say Zelda and starfox are remakes, tales and street fighter iv are ports. mgs... not so sure what changes are being made so I can't say. and pilotwings is a brand new title.
A remake is built from the ground up with brand new code and mostly if not completely new assets. A port reuses the same code and assets but tweaked to work on the new platform. Occasionally a port can receive major enhancements or reworkings but the point is the guts or software is reused.

Street Fighter IV and Tales are definite ports, no arguments there.

As for SF64, OoT and MGS3, I honestly can't say for sure at this stage but; SF looks like a remake, OoT looks like a heavily enhanced port (effectively a half remake) and for MGS we haven't actually seen the game yet, just a tech demo.

Amir0x

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Indeed. Sprung was pretty funny. I'm not saying it was a great game, but it was like an 80s movie (albeit with 90/00s jokes/terminology) turned into a mediocre adventure game. It was fun.

Oh wow, a GAF opinion for everything.

There's someone out there who appreciated the abysmal sub-Twilight fanfiction quality of Sprung.

I guess that explains how people could like Twilight, then.

Rich!

ombz said:
I thought the console games didn't use the MT Framework engine that they ported to the 3ds.

Ah, I stand corrected:

One of Capcom's most notable games, Street Fighter IV, does not run on MT Framework since programming duties were done by Dimps.

here's a full list of games that have been developed on MT:

Version 1.0

* v1.0 - Dead Rising
* v1.1 - Lost Planet on Xbox 360
* v1.2 - Lost Planet on PC
* v1.3 - Devil May Cry 4
* v1.4 - Resident Evil 5

Version 2.0

* v2.0 - Lost Planet 2
* v2.1 - Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Upcoming Release 2011)

Version Mobile

* Resident Evil: Revelations (Upcoming Release TBA)
* Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Upcoming Release TBA)
* Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Upcoming Release TBA)

defferoo

Luigiv said:
A remake is built from the ground up with brand new code and mostly if not completely new assets. A port reuses the same code and assets but tweaked to work on the new platform. Occasionally a port can receive major enhancements or reworkings but the point is the guts or software is reused.

Street Fighter IV and Tales are definite ports, no arguments there.

As for SF64, OoT and MGS3, I honestly can't say for sure at this stage but; SF looks like a remake, OoT looks like a heavily enhanced port (effectively a half remake) and for MGS we haven't actually seen the game yet, just a tech demo.
Yeah, I think OoT is probably getting most of its code from the original, but the assets are new, as are the animations, and menu system.

To be honest, I don't think companies would completely throw away code from past projects if they're going to remake it for a new platform... it just doesn't make sense. A complete remake of a game is just nonsensical unless it's going from 2D to 3D or they've lost the source code.

Taker666 said:
It could be argued that due to having a charging "home" for the 3DS..most users won't get to the point where they ever need to play while it's charging....

...they'll just automatically place the 3DS in the cradle when it's not being used. Meaning every morning it will be in a fully charged state (and it's unlikely they will fully discharge the 3DS in the space of that day).

It's a simple but very smart move by Nintendo IMO (especially considering their plans for wi-fi updates etc).

Wouldn't that ruin the battery? I thout the general rule is to let the battery go down to like 10-20 percent otherwise the battery will eventually not be able to hold much charge.

I hope to god Nintendo is making another Mario platformer for the 3DS. I didn't like NSMB DS as much, but I liked the Wii sequel more. Mario & Pokémon are my two favorite game series ever.

MidnightScott said:
I hope to god Nintendo is making another Mario platformer for the 3DS. I didn't like NSMB DS as much, but I liked the Wii sequel more. Mario & Pokémon are my two favorite game series ever.
Of course they are.

GCX

MidnightScott said:
Is there any reason for Nintendo not to make another multi-trillion seller?

Taker666

Anticitizen One said:
Wouldn't that ruin the battery? I thout the general rule is to let the battery go down to like 10-20 percent otherwise the battery will eventually not be able to hold much charge.

If that was the case I couldn't honestly see Nintendo including the cradle. Maybe it can detect when the 3DS needs re-charging and does so as and when it's needed.

ILikeFeet

Banned
EuropeOG said:
Hey, is there a video of the 3DS Lineup without the 3DS in the background?

don't think so. you could crop it out, but the best quality video (I found at least) is rather small. there is a 720P video on youtube, but the quality isn't very good

defferoo

Anticitizen One said:
Lithium ion batteries have no memory effect, so you don't need to discharge it before you recharge them. actually, doing that is bad, you should only cycle your battery once a month. the rest of the time, you should keep it partly charged. keeping it at 100% is bad too, so around 60-70% is best.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Anticitizen One said:
This was true before lithium-ion batteries (like the one in the 3DS).
NiMH batteries used to have a memory effect, where the batteries "remembered" the partial charge level as full charge.
Li-ion batteries, on the other hand, don't suffer from memory effect but tend to lose their capacity with heat and... staying at full charge. They do it naturally over time, but the process is slower when they're not completely charged. This is the main reason why leaving devices powered by these batteries always connected to a charger, or leaving them much longer than needed, is a bad idea.

EDIT: beaten by defferoo.

defferoo said:
Yeah, I think OoT is probably getting most of its code from the original, but the assets are new, as are the animations, and menu system.

To be honest, I don't think companies would completely throw away code from past projects if they're going to remake it for a new platform... it just doesn't make sense. A complete remake of a game is just nonsensical unless it's going from 2D to 3D or they've lost the source code.
It doesn't work that way. Code written for the Nintendo 64 just wouldn't work on the 3DS, the systems are completely and totally different. It's possible they might still have source code from 12 years ago, though unlikely, and it's possible some certain bits of it could be reused, assuming they wrote the original game in C or C++ (coming off of the SNES it's possible they wrote much the game in Assembly Language, which is entirely different and unusable altogether). But even then, it could take a lot of time and money for developers to learn how the old code worked good enough to port some of it over to the 3DS. A whole lot cheaper and easier to rewrite it with a more current game engine the developers are used to using. And then they have the start of a new codebase they can use for new 3DS Zelda games.

defferoo

Dreamwriter said:
It doesn't work that way. Code written for the Nintendo 64 just wouldn't work on the 3DS, the systems are completely and totally different. It's possible they might still have source code from 12 years ago, though unlikely, and it's possible some certain bits of it could be reused, assuming they wrote the original game in C or C++ (coming off of the SNES it's possible they wrote much the game in Assembly Language, which is entirely different and unusable altogether). But even then, it could take a lot of time and money for developers to learn how the old code worked good enough to port some of it over to the 3DS. A whole lot cheaper and easier to rewrite it with a more current game engine the developers are used to using. And then they have the start of a new codebase they can use for new 3DS Zelda games.
That depends on how well the code is documented. I'm sure they can take a lot of the code from OoT and use it on another system. Since it's most likely C code, it's somewhat abstracted from the hardware and isn't entirely platform dependent (you'd have to change a lot of library calls) but most of the game logic can be reused. Porting code takes time, but fixing bugs takes longer. Since most of the old code has its bugs ironed out, wouldn't it be a huge waste of time to write new code and then debug it.

EDIT: they could even be using a more modern engine like the one used in twilight princess and skyward sword but have it tweaked a lot for the 3DS. the game will probably feel a lot like the newer console zeldas in terms of control and not like OoT.

defferoo said:
Lithium ion batteries have no memory effect, so you don't need to discharge it before you recharge them. actually, doing that is bad, you should only cycle your battery once a month. the rest of the time, you should keep it partly charged. keeping it at 100% is bad too, so around 60-70% is best.

Aw crap, I've been charging my DS wrong this whole time. I always let it run completely out then recharge overnight.

sinxtanx said:
Soooo....

Does this video show that you don't need the cradle to charge?

NuZG6.png

Don't know if this has been posted.

Yes.

It also shows (for anyone who hasn't realized yet), that the charge port was switched from the left side (on DSi, DSLite, DS), to the right side for the 3DS, which means that they moved the battery to the right side as well (also supported by the fact that the power button is now on the right side as well). And I can guarantee it was moved so that they could have an analog stick on the left side.

Jin34

Goddamn all this battery info really points out how little battery tech has progressed, can't we have batteries where it doesn't matter how much charge they have left, how often you charge them, how often you used them plugged in, etc.

Jin34 said:
Goddamn all this battery info really points out how little battery tech has progressed, can't we have batteries where it doesn't matter how much charge they have left, how often you charge them, how often you used them plugged in, etc.

Not as long as we still use primitive liquids.
We need portable fission technology.

Top Bottom