• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Effect

Jetku said:
Reserved!!

Number 2 in their system!

Only one per customer or perhaps two per household?

Would love to run to the local store to see but still have the flu and really would rather pre-order from another store and online. As long as I can at sometime I'm that bend out of shape in the end.

Opiate

I still have no interest in this device. The big sell for the system is visual upgrades, and its largely relying on ports of old games, most of which I don't like in the first place.

I'm not saying that no one else can like the sound of that. I'm saying that, as a DS owner, that's essentially taking all the stuff I liked from the DS (original, quirky games that relied on innovative interface design) and replacing it with stuff I have no interest in (literally old games that relied on presentation and graphics) all at a much higher price point.

Obviously I'll change my tune if and when interesting games are announced (there are a couple, like Professor Layton and Ace Attorney), but as of right now the system seems far more focused on things I have no interest in.

The DS was the first Nintendo system I've owned since the SNES, and I'll be just fine ignoring their systems again.

rosjos44 said:
Its an instant fire for that employee if they do that. Just to let you know.
Haha staff are so replaceable in these places it's laughable. I got a Wii on launch day without a pre-order.
Like a boss. When I was paying for it someone called asking about their pre-order it and the guy was like nah sorry because he had already started bagging it for me.
Opiate said:
I still have no interest in this device. The big sell for the system is visual upgrades, and its largely relying on ports of old games, most of which I don't like in the first place.

I'm not saying that no one else can like the sound of that. I'm saying that, as a DS owner, that's essentially taking all the stuff I liked from the DS (original, quirky games that relied on innovative interface design) and replacing it with stuff I have no interest in (literally old games that relied on presentation and graphics) all at a much higher price point.

Obviously I'll change my tune if and when interesting games are announced (there are a couple, like Professor Layton and Ace Attorney), but as of right now the system seems far more focused on things I have no interest in.

The DS was the first Nintendo system I've owned since the SNES, and I'll be just fine ignoring their systems again.
Well put, I echo your sentiment. Additionally I think it will be difficult to top the DS in the same sense that it was difficult to top the PS2's universal appreciation. Especially in a more competitive android, apple market.

Shit...and I'm stuck at work. Plan B needs to be activated, as KI and Ocarina are in desperate need of some playtime from me. I hardly ever replay games once I've beaten/found everything in them, so this is a pretty great deal for me. I'm one of the few that has only gone through Zelda one time...

szaromir

Banned
Opiate said:

The problem wass vast majority of quirky games that relied on interface innovation lack substance and were getting old after 5 minutes of play time. Now they are the king on iPhone, where at least they cost $1, not $25, that's reasonable pricing. My two most played and favorite games on the DS were Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, but the platform didn't have many good games aside from that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Paper Mario 3DS, Zelda OoT and SSF 4 3D Edition is all i need at launch. At least on the retail front, i wonder what 3DSWare/Virtual Console/Classics in 3D Lineup they will offer day 1.

Dabanton

Opiate said:

Same way i'm feeling old ports of games that while good i see no need to purchase again even in '3D'.

No thanks for now Nintendo.

cw_sasuke

You people act as if every 3DS announced today is an old game/port :D
Every console launch has had and will have many multiplattform games and ports, i dont see the problem - especially if they are 3Dmakes of well regarded titles like OoT or Snake Eater 3D.

Opiate

MrMister said:
WHAT!? You have missed out on too much! :lol

As someone who doesn't like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc., I'm missing out on far less than you might imagine. Besides, I'm absolutely fine on missing out on some games I might have enjoyed. I could almost play Chess and nothing else for the rest of my life. With a few exceptions (i.e. ChessMaster), that game is free. Why buy any systems under those conditions, when I can play infinitely replayable games for free?

Of course, realistically, I don't play Chess exclusively 24/7, and I do buy other products. I own a PS3 and DS this generation. I also perennially have my PC, on which, in addition to Chess, I play games like Starcraft, Go, and Natural Selection. So it's not quite as simple as "100% Chess, all day all the time," but the same principle applies: my goal is not and should not be to play every single game that ever interested me, but to maximize my entertainment for as low a cost as I can manage.

And I can almost maximize my entertainment by just playing PC games, most of which cost me just a few dozen dollars a year (this year: Starcraft II, Torchlight, Crafty Chess 1.4, grand total, 55 dollars). This is before we discuss books and music, which are both mediums I prefer to gaming (currently reading The Big Short and listening to a newly gifted version of Die Zauberflote as I type).

Boney

Banned
MrMister said:
WHAT!? You have missed out on too much! :lol
He hasn't though.

For me, it's Steel Driver, Mercenaries and Layton.

cw_sasuke said:
Paper Mario 3DS, Zelda OoT and SSF 4 3D Edition is all i need at launch. At least on the retail front, i wonder what 3DSWare/Virtual Console/Classics in 3D Lineup they will offer day 1.
Paper Mario won't be launch D:

Mall near me opened at 7. Got in, put down $50 for my 3DS, and got out. They were offering EA's Garden game, Monkey Ball, and Sims 3DS as launch titles, but I passed those up. They weren't even offering color options yet. I feel better knowing mine's reserved at the very least.

cw_sasuke

Boney said:
He hasn't though.

For me, it's Steel Driver, Mercenaries and Layton.

Paper Mario won't be launch D:
Im pretty sure it will be at least in europe ( launch window)

lachesis

Man, my local GS didn't open at 8am. Their normal hours are 11a, so I'll be heading out around 10:20 ish and wait 30 min... (crosses fingers)

Jme

I called mine - he wouldn't let me reserve over the phone, but he said there is CURRENTLY no limit on how many orders a store can take, but a person can't reserve more than 2.

wwm0nkey

Anasui Kishibe said:
I say, this preorder on December thing seems rather shifty. We sure it's a official thing? I woulda expected much more fanfare, so to say
Yes all stores got an email about it today with the SKU number. I would suggest going in January 19th and picking your color though.

Jetku

I think the lack of fanfare is on purpose, to not draw attention away from current post-holiday DS sales.

3ds sellout at launch is pretty much a guarantee for them, why hype it up and distract from the DS?

That being said, I worked at GameStop several years ago, and the way the reservation is handled on the receipt is very legit. It actually already appears on my account on powereduprewards.com

Anasui Kishibe said:
oh yeah I wasn't suggesting something illegal. I just think that not too many people will know about it, but since that's their goal..

Think of it a stealth preorder launch: the hardcore crowd will know about it and put down preorders. They don't want to promote the preorders yet for two reasons:

1. They nothing about colors, price or release date
2. to promote a new system now would lead to returns on alot of the DS's they just sold the weeks before. Notice That Nintendo is holding their press conference more than 30 days after the vast majority of holiday purchases were made. This is not a coincidence. :)

mjc

I already drove to another one to reserve it, but it's farther from my house. I'll swing back to the other one with the SKU.

Synless

I got mine preordered and put down $250 just to get the cost out of the way. Hopefully besides tax, it won't cost any more than that.

lachesis

Man this sucks.

Just went tp GS, and was #1. With delight I tried to pre-order.

The guy knew of the pre-order would start today, but the SKU wouldn't come up. (games, yes, but not the system) Called up the regional manager who takes care of the reservation, said it would start tomorrow....

Not sure what to do now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Synless said:
I got mine preordered and put down $250 just to get the cost out of the way. Hopefully besides tax, it won't cost any more than that.
Damn. $250 interest free.....
I'm just surprised people do this.

wwm0nkey

dallow_bg said:
Some people like to get it out of the way so they dont have to worry about it.

Also guys remember if you want to get your color go back to GS on the 19th (or 20th actually) and you should be able to switch over to the color you want.

dallow_bg said:

Yep, because 90 days of interest on $250 in a savings account is a massive amount.

We get it. You think preordering things is dumb. Why are you posting in here then?

Synless

dallow_bg said:
I normally don't buy from them and I'm not about making the rich richer. However, i'm looking to buy a house in march and I don't want to have to worry about having extra money around when this comes out. It is just much more convenient to just pay it off now while i have the extra money.

Effect

gkryhewy said:
I wonder if Amazon won't take orders until the press events.
That's what I'm thinking. I rather order from them in the end. I already have credit in my account I can use.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
abstract alien said:
Why do you keep repeating yourself :lol
Because $50 seemed silly to me at first. $250 just surprised me. He has a valid reason though.

I don't think pre-ordering is dumb. Only when putting down an amount I'd rather just hold in my savings account to have access to "just in case".

outunderthestars said:
I'll cancel my GS preorder when if amazon takes preorders. I just want to have my bases covered.
I want one on launch day. If I have to hedge my bets, then so be it. Gamestop, Amazon, TRU.......

Top Bottom