• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Takeda Kenshi said:
Is there even a rough idea of what colors will be available? I'm hoping for better ones than GBA's launch. ;/
Well we know that the basic 2 starter colours will be black and that turquoise one I believe. But I remember someone in europe saying they saw a red one on their gamestop site.

Balb

Takeda Kenshi said:
Is there even a rough idea of what colors will be available? I'm hoping for better ones than GBA's launch. ;/

We haven't had good variety of launch colors since...the Game Boy Pocket days.

I can only assume that there will be one or two colors available -- black and the default blue + black one that they always show.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm sure we'll be able to call in and clarify a colour once details are out. I mean that makes most sense.

What would've the most sense is for Gamestop to not have pre-orders until everything was revealed.

red shoe paul said:
What would've the most sense is for Gamestop to not have pre-orders until everything was revealed.
Ehh I'm sure everyone knows they can wait if they want to wait but I look at this early pre-order thing as a benefit to the really core audience. We secure ours and know we get it for sure then when details are out and they advertise like mad the casuals will go bum rushing and we don't have to worry.

wwm0nkey

red shoe paul said:
So do you need to go back and tell them you want a certain color or what?
When they get the colors in they will call you to see which one you want, I would recommend going in and telling them on the 20th though after the Nintendo Press conference.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Takeda Kenshi said:
I'm guessing blue and black, since those seem to be the prominent color shown so far.

Triz said:
Got mine. Guys said I was first customer to order receipt says #4, guess they got theirs in too.

Just called GS because mine says #4 also. The employee said that the receipt won't state what number in line you are but obviously the computer has it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Called in at my GS, said $50 to put down for it, and they'd probably call people later once they knew color options.

...except he said he couldn't actually figure out how to sell me it. He's sending an email to get it straightened out I guess so I probably won't go in TODAY for it (maybe I'll call again in the evening), but hopefully they'll have it all ironed out tomorrow.

Tathanen said:
Called in at my GS, said $50 to put down for it, and they'd probably call people later once they knew color options.

...except he said he couldn't actually figure out how to sell me it. He's sending an email to get it straightened out I guess so I probably won't go in TODAY for it (maybe I'll call again in the evening), but hopefully they'll have it all ironed out tomorrow.

Why not just drive down?

Amir0x

Banned
Alex Anderson said:
Not really

No, pretty much really. Not found a single launch worthy of shit. Almost all launch windows have one or two "highlighted" games, usually a first party title that is either a content-less proof-of-concept or a overhyped dud, and then a launch window that hovers anywhere between "wasteland status" and "radioactive trash heap."

There will be those who unsurprisingly throw standards to the wind, proclaiming this title or that as the reason to own the 3DS, and years down the line all careful analysis will have eviscerated the very titles these individuals held dear, or at the very least reveal them for the unimpressively rushed software it really was (omg guys did you want to play OCARINA OF TIME again? In 3D!?)

It's rare when we even get a Mario 64 at launch, and that launch was STILL terrible... like 3 games in a launch window or some shit? PlayStation 2 had, um, Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and SSX? DS had...LOL. PSP had... Ridge Racer and Lumines. Wii had a repurposed Gamecube port in Twilight Princess and numerous horrendous games like Red Steel and Wii Sports. PlayStation 3 had...god...um... Resistance? 360 had Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3?

Launch windows are notoriously horrible. You pretty much have to turn your blinders on to accept that garbage that is released wholesale during platform launches.

Put my reserve in 1.5 hours ago. #1 at my local Gamestop. My guess is that there are going to be plenty available, but at least now I don't have to be concerned about it.

Amir0x said:
No, pretty much really. Not found a single launch worthy of shit. Almost all launch windows have one or two "highlighted" games, usually a first party title that is either a content-less proof-of-concept or a overhyped dud, and then a launch window that hovers anywhere between "wasteland status" and "radioactive trash heap."

There will be those who unsurprisingly throw standards to the wind, proclaiming this title or that as the reason to own the 3DS, and years down the line all careful analysis will have eviscerated the very titles these individuals held dear, or at the very least reveal them for the unimpressively rushed software it really was (omg guys did you want to play OCARINA OF TIME again? In 3D!?)

It's rare when we even get a Mario 64 at launch, and that launch was STILL terrible... like 3 games in a launch window or some shit? PlayStation 2 had, um, Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and SSX? DS had...LOL. PSP had... Ridge Racer and Lumines. Wii had a repurposed Gamecube port in Twilight Princess and numerous horrendous games like Red Steel and Wii Sports. PlayStation 3 had...god...um... Resistance? 360 had Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3?

Launch windows are notoriously horrible. You pretty much have to turn your blinders on to accept that garbage that is released wholesale during platform launches.

360 also had COD2, Condemned, and Kameo. 360's launch was excellent.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
LovingSteam said:
Why not just drive down?

Because I already talked to him on the phone? I doubt gracing him with my presence will provide the inspiration necessary to know how to plug it in. (Though maybe telling him that SKU in the op might help.) I generally prefer to not make trips to places until I know they actually have what I want.

Blu_LED said:
People are seriously reserving this without knowing the launch line-up, system colors, and most importantly, the price?

Never change GAF.

While I actually personally don't care enough about those specific items for them to prevent me from picking it up, do note: it's a refundable deposit. It's fair to get your name in the queue just for safety's sake. If the full launch details turn out to be horseshit, you can just return your receipt.

Amir0x

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
360 also had COD2, Condemned, and Kameo. 360's launch was excellent.

Exactly my point. This is what is considered excellent. A shittier version of CoD2, a crapware RARE platformer that lasts like 4 hours and Condemned, a game with good ideas but overall mediocre execution.

Sipowicz

Banned
i think 3DS launch might be alright. in first party terms there's kid icarus and that submarine game

the only notable third paty game that looks likely for launch is that ghost recon game by julian gollop

Amir0x said:
Exactly my point. This is what is considered excellent. A shittier version of CoD2, a crapware RARE platformer that lasts like 4 hours and Condemned, a game with good ideas but overall mediocre execution.

I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare launch games with games produced in the peak of a console's cycle, but if we're comparing launch games from console X with launch games with console Y then my personal feeling is that the 360's was excellent. That was my main idea.

Blu_LED said:
People are seriously reserving this without knowing the launch line-up, system colors, and most importantly, the price?

Never change GAF.

Um. Worse come to worse and we decide not to buy it, we just get our refund. At least this way for only $50 we have a spot guaranteed.

Zilch

Banned
Blu_LED said:

Never change GAF.

Is it unreasonable to think that many people can afford it regardless of the exact price?

Blu_LED said:

Never change GAF.
Some people are adults with disposable income or are capable of saving money for a defined date.

Crazy, I know!

Synless

Blu_LED said:

Never change GAF.
It's all irrelevant to me except the color. I just want a black system.

Amir0x

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare launch games with games produced in the peak of a console's cycle, but if we're comparing launch games from console X with launch games with console Y then my personal feeling is that the 360's was excellent. That was my main idea.

No, we're not comparing launches. I am describing ALL launches under the umbrella of "crap", because as you acknowledge here, they aren't in a vacuum, they DO get compared to full games that had actual development time under their belts. These are games accepted at launch because nothing else is available, so in order to see the "potential" of what a platform can offer we buy these games. But 99.9% of the time, they do not hold up under scrutiny months after launch window when real fully featured games start coming out.

It is extremely rare when we get a Super Mario 64 that still holds up in the mind of others. Twilight Princess, for example, holds up but it's sort of a cheat game since they spent all the years developing it for Gamecube and then just repurposed it for Wii at the last minute. If all launch games were given that amount of development time we'd be having a different discussion I think :lol

How do you figure out if you were the first one? I called the lady at the GameStop and she said yes we are doing preorders and it's $50. I showed up and asked if I could preorder one, and she asked if I was the one that called on the phone. So I said yes, and she was like how did you know about it so fast?

I said it was all over the internet. And she was like ok, I try to read up on every email we get. So I assume I am #1 on the preorder list, but I was wondering how do you read the receipt to figure that out?

Glix

I'm first on the list at my local gamestop!!! Thanks GAF! I'm so pumped!

EDIT - @ above, the manager said I was the first one, thats how I know :D

MidnightScott said:
How do you figure out if you were the first one? I called the lady at the GameStop and she said yes we are doing preorders and it's $50. I showed up and asked if I could preorder one, and she asked if I was the one that called on the phone. So I said yes, and she was like how did you know about it so fast?

I said it was all over the internet. And she was like ok, I try to read up on every email we get. So I assume I am #1 on the preorder list, but I was wondering how do you read the receipt to figure that out?

Its not listed on the receipt but its in the computer. I figure worst comes to worst, my receipt shows I purchased it at an earlier time than anybody else today so thats good enough =D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Blu_LED said:

Never change GAF.
I know because once you pay this, you can never get your money back.

Oh wait.

LovingSteam said:
Its not listed on the receipt but its in the computer. I figure worst comes to worst, my receipt shows I purchased it at an earlier time than anybody else today so thats good enough =D

I seriously think I'm first because the other clerk that attended to me asked the other clerk if it was even in the system yet. The chick said "yes, we just got the email and I read up on it."

So I think it's safe to say I'm #1 unless anyone can figure out how to read the GameStop receipt with all of it's numbers.

Top Bottom