• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's like the Game Boy color, just without the color. They never pushed the exclusive features of the DSi very much but they were there. Erm, anyway, I think they'll make a new small 3DS before all of that, but it feels like the XL only just came out. Can't see it before next summer.

MORE AKIN to a remodel I said. I know it has exclusive features and clocked up hardware...it just wasn't pushed as a successor.

Interesting how people are reacting to this as a move of aggression and not desperation. The November sales figures must be rather alarming for them to price drop in the middle of the holiday season.

In totally unrelated news the iPad Mini remains sold out nationwide....

Yeah, it does sound like they're a little worried about 3DS sales with a sudden move like this and after Black Friday at that. But I don't know, you would think they'd have to have been talking to retailers for a while before marking the MSRP down.

VICI0US

Well that was unexpected. Probably a good decision though.

The 3DS and Vita at $250 were/are simply too high priced, especially with all the other competing electronic devices in that price range nowadays.

Nintendo handhelds have traditionally been much more affordably priced, I mean heck the GBA launched at $99. And of course the DS didn't really take off until the lite was introduced at $129.99.

Now they just need to phase the DS out so it stops cannibalizing potential 3DS sales. That old thing's still moving 100k+ units a month in the US.

Nintendo seems to adopt the "Games should be $40-$60 and we will make contents worthy of it" philosophy. Not inherently a bad thing, but I hoped they were more flexible with pricing model.
Steel diver and pilotwings were $40 at launch.

Both should have been $15 download games at best.

Interesting how people are reacting to this as a move of aggression and not desperation. The November sales figures must be rather alarming for them to price drop in the middle of the holiday season.

Or they've had to hold off cutting the 3ds price as there are too many ds still unsold, after that had its price cuta couple of months ago and now we've moved through a bit if pressie buying season its possible most of these are now sold through and its now safe for Nintendo to drop the 3ds price

Yeah, it does sound like they're a little worried about 3DS sales with a sudden move like this and after Black Friday at that.

I really think Nintendo needs to also address the software issue. As a parent I couldn't care less about a $30 reduction in the hardware price when I see $40 game prices. I would much rather spend $300 up front for an ipod touch/ipad mini as my daughter can finds thousands of apps/games for free or a buck or two to entertain herself with.

It is interesting to see how low third party 3ds game prices have fallen though. Seems that outside of anything with Mario on the cover, companies are struggling to find sales. Even Revelations is under $20 now.

Not bad, at least I know if I ever feel the desire to buy one again, it can be had for cheap. Otherwise, I guess I'm not horribly surprised they might do this, especially if it's to combat slow sales here and elsewhere.

Course I also think it still needs more games too.

Elios83

Seems a weird decision considering that they were so happy that 3DS finally started to turn a profit.
Probably sales in the US are way behind their internal targets and they wanted to do something for the December sales. Maybe it's not even a permanent price drop but a holiday season price drop, don't know.
Still if this was not planned, like it seems, it will have an impact on their financials.

Yeah, it does sound like they're a little worried about 3DS sales with a sudden move like this and after Black Friday at that. But I don't know, you would think they'd have to have been talking to retailers for a while before marking the MSRP down.

Speaking of which, has anyone (Sony, MS, Nintendo) mentioned anything about BF sales? I thought that was pretty common. Weird to not have seen anything yet.

No, not even close. 3DS had a good launch, which makes the LTD comparison look good. Recent dsales are much worse. For example,in the first half of FY2012 3DS shipped 1.39M to NA. Software shipments to NA were 6.75M. For comparison, in the first half of FY2006 (the comparable year), DS shipped 2.40M, and software was 11.94M. Here's the whole set of numbers from these periods:

Code:
           DS 1H2006  3DS 1H2012    Difference
            HW    SW    HW    SW     HW     SW
Japan      461  2064   209   706   (252) (1358)
Americas   240  1194   139   675   (101)  (519)
Other      309  1059   158   522   (151)  (537)
Total     1009  4316   506  1903   (503) (2413)

While the numbers are right, I don't think it's fair, because the 3DS is several months younger than the DS at that point.

Is there a launch-aligned graph comparing the two?

Edit:
ltd-gba-nds-3ds-launch-aligned.png

To October
Source (NeoGAF)

Edit2: I need to learn to read, that's actually worldwide... Is there one for just America?

Bruno MB

3DS is dead unless it gets regular releases of good titles, which is most probably not going to happen from Western major developers as they are almost exclusively focused on AAA titles that aren't in any way portable to 3DS. And a lot of indie developers have already moved to Apps. Maybe unless they are able to produce small sidekick projects like with Epic Mickey or Castlevania.

---
Personally, even if for $99, I don't see myself buying a 3DS XL, because it just doesn't have the games I want and I am not going to carry another device with myself that doesn't have the titles I want; at most 3 titles that I know I will be finishing. And if it's going to stay at home, I just can get another home console at almost the same price.

It's pretty telling that this year 3DS hasn't even received Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Call of Duty (hell, even an extremely limited machine like NDS got 4 entries). Western developers have completely abandoned it.

zroid

Banned
I really think Nintendo needs to also address the software issue. As a parent I couldn't care less about a $30 reduction in the hardware price when I see $40 game prices. I would much rather spend $300 up front for an ipod touch/ipad mini as my daughter can finds thousands of apps/games for free or a buck or two to entertain herself with.

It is interesting to see how low third party 3ds game prices have fallen though. Seems that outside of anything with Mario on the cover, companies are struggling to find sales. Even Revelations is under $20 now.

If games like Revelations can't even find moderate success with a $30 price tag among the mostly core demographic who own 3DS systems at this point in its life, handheld gaming is just fucked outside of Japan. There is no happy medium for handheld game consumer and publisher.

They can't drop software prices that low and still expect to make a profit from a relatively small 3DS installed base when the games are already expensive to produce.

Yeah all the "GO FOR BLOOD" posts are hilarious. This isn't Nintendo finishing off Sony. This is Nintendo desperately trying to stay relevant in an Apple/Google dominated world.

It's pretty telling that this year 3DS hasn't even received Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Call of Duty (hell, even an extremely limited machine like NDS got 4 entries). Western developers have completely abandoned it.

apparently nspace wanted to make a 3ds version of modern warfare 3 last year but Activision told them to make a ds version instead

Frillen

So Nintendo back to red if this is true? Could benefit them long term, but we'll have to wait and see though. I still think Nintendo has a pretty bad Holiday lineup in the west. They should've at least had 1-2 more titles coming out. Animal Crossing would've been enough. Still going to crush the Vita though.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. Nintendo got too greedy at the initial $250. Also, I know this doesn't really have much effect on overall sales, but serves the company right for making the system region free.

I can't see handhelds surviving to another generation. Handhelds are the domain of kids and kids are happy playing on their parents iPhones/iPads with free games. Dedicated handhelds can't compete with that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yeah all the "GO FOR BLOOD" posts are hilarious. This isn't Nintendo finishing off Sony. This is Nintendo desperately trying to stay relevant in an Apple/Google dominated world.

indeed...expecially if you consider Sony is already finished

So Nintendo back to red if this is true? Could benefit them long term, but we'll have to wait and see though. I still think Nintendo has a pretty bad Holiday lineup in the west. They should've at least had 1-2 more titles coming out. Animal Crossing would've been enough. Still going to crush the Vita though.

Their big title this holiday is the worst Paper Mario game they've ever made. Nearly two years into the handheld's life and that's all they could muster for a big holiday push? Yeesh. I'm struggling to think of any big third party releases recently that would generate interest either.

Sony handled that all on their own.

Jezbollah

UK-Gaf - has anyone heard anything re a 3DS XL price cut over here in blighty?

It would be perfect timing for me - I was intending on buying one as a birthday gift to my mum - but I agree with some comments here that the timing for a price cut would be very strange given that a lot of people may have already bought the unit for Christmas by now (including my friend - who has one for his eldest daughter already wrapped up).

Speaking of which, has anyone (Sony, MS, Nintendo) mentioned anything about BF sales? I thought that was pretty common. Weird to not have seen anything yet.

Good point, the console manufacturers would be roaring how big a hit their product was last week.

In fact, Nintendo was more than happy to tell us how Wii was a huge hit when it launched and that Zelda was the best selling game selling xxxK numbers and having x:x tie ratio and stuff like that. No mention of Wii U sales this year. Weird.

m.i.s.

Banned
At least it would appear NoA are trying.

Look at NoE / Nintendo UK. It would seem that they've all but given up.

There's just three 3DS titles in the entire Top 40 of the UK Pal Charts Week 47 - in the run-up to Xmas. The same number as the moribund, aged, 6 year old Wii just by way of comparison. That's just how bad it has gotten here for Nintendo's handheld wonder.

iammeiam

Has anyone done a 3DS transfer to a 3DS that already has a game pre installed? I'm trying to figure out if the transfer process would wipe the pre installed software off the system or not; I don't have an XL or MK7, but do have a few digital purchases on my current 3DS I would like to keep.

Alex

I can't see handhelds surviving to another generation. Handhelds are the domain of kids and kids are happy playing on their parents iPhones/iPads with free games. Dedicated handhelds can't compete with that.

If Nintendo can make the next one a proper iPod Touch alternative, I could see it maintaining decent foothold. Proper screen resolution, better browser and social/email/messaging functions and a proper Nintendo and app ecosystem with reasonable prices on games.

In the US, these are devices for kids, us nerds who want meaty, big budget games and fuckin' JRPGs out the ass are an extreme niche, so make a good universal device for kids that also plays Pokemon and Mario and you probably have a nice, safe avenue.

Snakeyes

Nintendo Phone is definitely next.

- competitive with iPhone/iPad
- family friendly, for the ever expanding children's phone market
- core Nintendo franchises esp. Mario and Pokemon
- will work as controller for next home console system
- 3D, incl. cartridge slot for BC with 3DS titles.

Based on all the issues with the Wii U, it's doubtful that Nintendo will be able to build a competitive phone or universal device solution. What would make sense though is a 3DS successor that is designed as a strong standalone device that doesn't get in the way of your smartphone.

- Very compact, sleek and light, think something like this with better buttons and sliders. No bigger than the larger Android handsets.
- A bit more powerful than the Vita. If the iPhone 5's chips cost $30 at most and are capable of running stuff like Lili, it shouldn't be hard to build something even more powerful at a fraction of the cost in one or two years.
- Solid battery life (10 hours if possible).
- Full-fledged games cost $30 at most. Strong focus on digital distribution.
- Competitive launch price of $120-150 that pushes it into the impulse buy category.

So, I remember just yesterday when Baconsammy made fun of me for saying all he does is talk shit about Nintendo now.

So how about that, Baconsammy?

test_account

XP-39C²
I was wondering the same thing, seems that Nintendo just went profitable a short while ago. Beating the Vita wont matter much to Nintendo's sales.

Maybe the "go for blood" comments are more about that Nintendo themself needs a blood transfer? Just kidding hehe :p

Love all the anti 3DS posts, the Vita fans must be getting pretty nervous right now.

Back to gamefaqs where you belong.

So, I remember just yesterday when Baconsammy made fun of me for saying all he does is talk shit about Nintendo now.

So how about that, Baconsammy?

Quote the post that got your panties in a twist. The one where I'm unfairly maligning your precious Nintendo in this thread.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Their big title this holiday is the worst Paper Mario game they've ever made. Nearly two years into the handheld's life and that's all they could muster for a big holiday push? Yeesh. I'm struggling to think of any big third party releases recently that would generate interest either.

You're forgetting Professor Layton.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Their big title this holiday is the worst Paper Mario game they've ever made.

While I've actually liked all the Paper Mario games, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many folks on GAF (or elsewhere) who'd say that Sticker Star was worse that Super Paper Mario.

brumx

3DS is okay I wish they screen was a lot bigger and the quality was like the launch 1000 PSP(unbreakable). It seems only a hair above PSP in graphics.

brinstar

I hope software sales come down. And game localizations/third party releases pick up. The 1st party stuff on 3DS has been great and all but I can only handle so much Mario!

Back to gamefaqs where you belong.

Quote the post that got your panties in a twist. The one where I'm unfairly maligning your precious Nintendo in this thread.

I don't exactly want to go back and quote every post you have in this thread.

But I think it's funny that you have such a vendetta against Nintendo.

You're forgetting Professor Layton.

Layton has sold fewer and fewer copies with each subsequent release, with only the first ever approaching 1 million sold in America. Not really the big holiday title, despite being a really good game.

I don't exactly want to go back and quote every post you have in this thread.

But I think it's funny that you have such a vendetta against Nintendo.

Clearly. lol

If games like Revelations can't even find moderate success with a $30 price tag among the mostly core demographic who own 3DS systems at this point in its life, handheld gaming is just fucked outside of Japan. There is no happy medium for handheld game consumer and publisher.

They can't drop software prices that low and still expect to make a profit from a relatively small 3DS installed base when the games are already expensive to produce.

Revelations isn't the best example, given the target demographic. I'd worry more about underperformance from third-party titles that are actually aimed at the same audience as Mario et al.

Hale-XF11

Good, more 3DS sales hopefully means even more games will be developed for it. Though I do wonder if it'll ever be enough to attract more western developers.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I don't know why anyone would want the original 3DS after the XL launched, considering how much the XL improves on the myriad flaws of the original. I hope that the price cut of the original leads to a cut for the XL because it is tough for me to justify spending $180 for a system that only has four or five full games out currently that I'm interested in (and a couple downloadables too). I'll end up with a XL next year once SMT4 releases at the latest, as my portable gaming needs are more than fulfilled at the moment with my Vita. What can I say, the Vita has a much more appealing library to me at the moment.

The pricing of games on the 3DS definitely needs shaking up though. New games are either priced at $40 (which few 3DS titles have enough content to justify) or $5-10 on eShop with no in between. When compared to iOS prices versus value, most everything on 3DS seems a bit overpriced. The Vita has content from $2 (PlayStation Mobile) to $40 and everywhere in between, and there is meaty content at all price levels. It's just at the lower price levels it may be a PS1 or PSP game. Nothing wrong with that.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the eShop needs two things: an indie-friendly super cheap section for iOS-size micro games and a large expansion of back catalog software from the GBA and the DS. On portable gaming devices, purchasing games wirelessly through a digital storefront is now the norm, and compared to their competitors, Nintendo is slacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom