• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

VIP itself doesn't change pass/relay behavior at all. More likely you guys are the victim of the change in the SSID whitelist.
What's this about a change in the SSID whitelist? Has this affected StreetPass relay hotspots? I don't use home pass or anything like that. I've gone from receiving 7-10 passes a day (Central London) to 0. Today I received one SP...I must've passed someone with an actual 3DS.

8bit

Knows the Score
Have bought everything and homepass is working fine, have 90 Miis queued and every time I try to clear some out I get another 6. Been using spillpasspi2 with attwifi

Have bought everything and homepass is working fine, have 90 Miis queued and every time I try to clear some out I get another 6. Been using spillpasspi2 with attwifi

Is there a good tutorial out there to follow in setting up homepass? I may just check it out myself one of these days.

Oxx

The weird thing is that if relays are dead, that means I have passed 7 humans in the last week, which is a lot more than usual and is perhaps even more unbelievable.

Robin64

My local McDonalds used to give passes every time I went past, now it gives nothing. The Nintendo Zone app still flashes and I can connect to the wifi, just no passes. Kinda sucks, I relied on that place.

Droog

What's this about a change in the SSID whitelist? Has this affected StreetPass relay hotspots? I don't use home pass or anything like that. I've gone from receiving 7-10 passes a day (Central London) to 0. Today I received one SP...I must've passed someone with an actual 3DS.

I'm in the same boat. I was getting 10 hits a day on my N3DS and now the only one I'm seeing is my OG 3DS XL at home! Was driving me mad, was disabling/re-enabling streetpass on all my games and nothing was working. Even redownloaded all my Streetpass Plaza games, all for naught apparently!

Time to be setting up a Homepass relay methinks.

The weird thing is that if relays are dead, that means I have passed 7 humans in the last week, which is a lot more than usual and is perhaps even more unbelievable.

Not ALL relays are dead. Just a lot of them. There is a Home Depot in the next city over that still works for some reason, but the one in my town no longer does.

Apparently a StreetPass Weekend started in the US yesterday. A special Mii was sent out to mark the occasion.

I think the local McDonalds is still working as a relay for me but some other locations are iffy. Home Depot and Best Buy have been dead for a while for me.

LoveCake

Yeah, I'm running SpillPassPi now. It's a Raspian distro that mostly works oob.

Is there a guide anywhere for this?

I have tried doing things with my Pi before and it never seemed to work, also every guide I watched/read was different for trying to do the very same thing.

Apparently a StreetPass Weekend started in the US yesterday. A special Mii was sent out to mark the occasion.

I think the local McDonalds is still working as a relay for me but some other locations are iffy. Home Depot and Best Buy have been dead for a while for me.
I got a special Mii from Nintendo via spot pass. That was the only visitor I had all week.

I really need to set up Homepass.

So how those send to line work? It's description is so vague and poor in game.

On the system level, nothing has changed; the 3DS still only lets you collect 10 at a time before you can't collect more. The difference is, when you hit the button to go to the Plaza Gate, if you're premium you now have an option to send those people "to the line". So you still have to deal with a 10 pass limit, but your passes can be deferred until you're ready to deal with them.

So basically, for people who purchased premium, there is now a secondary queue that you can fill instead of going straight to the gate. It's only really useful if you're in a situation where you get more than 20 passes at a time though.

So after trying three different methods and two different Wi-Fi dongles, I finally got homepass setup using the older NBA Homepass method:
https://www.glaciergaming.co.uk/articles/640/homepass-for-3ds-version-94-on-windows

Got 39 people queued up in about 2 hours.

People seem to be having trouble with the latest firmware. I'm on 11.0 and it's working fine for me, but people have reported 11.1 breaks things. According to GBATemp, the people in the link above should be posting a new solution soon.

Laws00

I've traveled for about 2 hours back and forth from school on a college campus for 4 years. I have not encountered anyone

But when i do decide to do it randomly Im usually successful for some odd reason

Oxx

I'm not even sure if I got any passes from the GAME store the last time I walked-in and pretended to look at the Amiibos.

How is there not an Android app that just "does" homepass?
It's immensely complicated to bring up a wifi hotspot on Android outside of the built in tethering (which can only be operated via the UI, not programmatically). It might not even be possible anymore without a rooted device.

LoveCake

I posted earlier In this thread, I used to get passes from Argos, Game, McDonalds and HMV but now I hardly get any, I was unsure which stores had stopped doing it.

It looks like there won't be Streetpass on the NX then (not wanting to go off topic) I really like the Streetpass concept, and here in the UK it's hard to get any passes, unless you are a school child or have a bunch of friends with 3DS's.

I am going to have to look into the Raspberry Pi version, but it really kills the idea of Streetpass.

Nintendo should just sell a USB dongle that will work as a Homepass and support it.

My weekend in New York Comic Con allowed me to fully take advantage of the Mii Plaza Line feature for the first time. Didn't realize I had to choose "Send to Line" for the thinghto work.

Since there's not much else happening at the moment, I'll have plenty of time after work to clear this up.

Andyliini

Just wondering about Streetpass Battle.
What is a Critical Strike, and how can you use it? I have 4 enemies left on the map, and have no idea what it is.

Does anybody have experiences about streetpass and airports?

In December I will be stuck between flights for 7 hours at Charles de Gaulle. I'm split between trying my luck and getting multiple passes from different countries Vs conserving battery to play on an 11 hours flight.

Just wondering about Streetpass Battle.
What is a Critical Strike, and how can you use it? I have 4 enemies left on the map, and have no idea what it is.
It's difficult to replicate, but it's a random chance to win a losing battle. I've only seen it happen on the third battle (when you've won one and lost one, and will lose the third one by the numbers).

Does anybody have experiences about streetpass and airports?

In December I will be stuck between flights for 7 hours at Charles de Gaulle. I'm split between trying my luck and getting multiple passes from different countries Vs conserving battery to play on an 11 hours flight.
Unless you have a lot of Japanese people going through the airport, I don't think you're likely to get so many passes that this will be a huge concern. But I would bring your wall charger with you so you can top up before getting on the plane, or picking up USB charge cables and using them with portable chargers.

How is there not an Android app that just "does" homepass?

The easiest and cheapest Homepass option is to just go to thrift stores and look for dirt-cheap old routers that support DD-WRT. Once you find one, update it to the DD-WRT firmware and then it's dead simple to set up the SSID and MAC address for Homepass. You'll be rolling in streetpasses before long.

This is what I did. Of course, you can get fancy with software that automatically rotates the MAC IDs so that you can get tons of streetpasses every day but I find getting 6 twice a day is more than sufficient, since I have a life as well as other games to play.

Chopper

The easiest and cheapest Homepass option is to just go to thrift stores and look for dirt-cheap old routers that support DD-WRT. Once you find one, update it to the DD-WRT firmware and then it's dead simple to set up the SSID and MAC address for Homepass. You'll be rolling in streetpasses before long.

This is what I did. Of course, you can get fancy with software that automatically rotates the MAC IDs so that you can get tons of streetpasses every day but I find getting 6 twice a day is more than sufficient, since I have a life as well as other games to play.
Cool. Thanks for the info. 12 a day would suit me fine.

Do you use this as your main router though?

Do you use this as your main router though?

No. I have a Nighthawk as my main router with all the security settings enabled, etc. I have the HomePass router plugged into that. Just plug the Internet/WAN port on the HomePass router to one of the numbered ports on your main router. The HP router will treat it just like an Internet connection.*

Personally, I don't even leave it turned on. I just turn on the HomePass router, wait for the 3DS to blink green, and then turn the HP router off again. I live in a fairly secluded area so I'm not worried about someone hacking my network in the 1-2 minutes the HP router is on. You could secure the HP router with MAC address filtering so that it will only talk to your 3DS's MAC, but MACs can be spoofed so that would stop your neighbors but not a hacker. I just turn the HP router on when I want SP hits and turn it off again for minimal risk.

*Note: You'll need to make sure your HP router is using a different IP address scheme than your main router to avoid problems. If your main router is 192.168.1.X, then you should make the HP router 192.168.2.x or 10.1.1.X. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. Getting DD-WRT installed on the thrift-store router will be the hardest part.

LoveCake

It seems to me that Nintendo are trying to alienate everyone with the removal of StreetPass locations, I am going to write to Nintendo.

Is this the correct address:

Nintendo Customer Support
PO Box 4678
Windsor
SL4 9DZ

I would rather write a letter, but how long would a reply take?

Or is it better to just email?
Email Us: customer-support@nintendo.co.uk

I think that I would more likely get a response from a actual letter rather than a email?

I have tried the I tried the raspipass one and I cannot get it to work.

What Nintendo should do is sell a wifi dongle that you can plug-into your laptop/computer and it has a fully supported Homepass installed on it.

Chopper

It seems to me that Nintendo are trying to alienate everyone with the removal of StreetPass locations, I am going to write to Nintendo.

PO Box 4678
Windsor
SL4 9DZ

I think that I would more likely get a response from a actual letter rather than a email?

What Nintendo should do is sell a wifi dongle that you can plug-into your laptop/computer and it has a fully supported Homepass installed on it.
That is the correct address for the UK office. But they are fucking useless. A waste of office space with absolutely no influence on anything at all, used largely for "marketing" and work experience kids copying and pasting NOE tweets.

PO Box 4678
Windsor
SL4 9DZ

Don't waste your money on a stamp, e-mail them. Nintendo UK is bloody useless, mind you.

I did go to Game on the weekend and managed to get 5 streetpasses (usually got 8-10 a day on my commute to work via all the relays - no more though, thanks to Nintendo).

donny2112

Of course, you can get fancy with software that automatically rotates the MAC IDs so that you can get tons of streetpasses every day but I find getting 6 twice a day is more than sufficient, since I have a life as well as other games to play.

It's beyond easy to make it switch the IP addresses every minute. It's just running cron, after all. Just make the cron run every minute (i.e. "* * * * *" instead of the setting in the instructions). Like to turn it on, queue up ~100 in an hour or so, and then turn it off. Let's me get to the Streetpass games when I want to, then. That's if you're already doing DD-WRT. Not sure how easy it is with others, but making something run every minute in cron is trivial once you understand the format for the scheduling.

Unless of course you filter it so only your 3DS MAC address is granted access.

Yes, take the time to filter on your 3DS MAC address. Security is always important!

Andyliini

I finally got all the pieces from Streetpass Mansion, it sure took a while to complete all 50 Puzzle Boxes, thank god for guides. Now I'm still missing two fishes, and I'm done with the fishing game, too. I'll probably never beat Streetass Battle, too slow advancement with just one hit daily.

I finally got all the pieces from Streetpass Mansion, it sure took a while to complete all 50 Puzzle Boxes, thank god for guides. Now I'm still missing two fishes, and I'm done with the fishing game, too. I'll probably never beat Streetass Battle, too slow advancement with just one hit daily.
Strange, because Battle is the one game most balanced around passing a low number of people; progression in that game is the same per session and the game scales to your army count. It's actually favorable to keep your army count low because that makes losses easier to recover from (unless you do some force close shenanigans, but this makes you skip a turn because of the cheat detection).

Battle was the first of the first four DLC games I was completely finished with. Garden took the longest.

LoveCake

Don't waste your money on a stamp, e-mail them. Nintendo UK is bloody useless, mind you.

That is the correct address for the UK office. But they are fucking useless. A waste of office space with absolutely no influence on anything at all, used largely for "marketing" and work experience kids copying and pasting NOE tweets.

Would Nintendo Europe or even Nintendo Japan be better to contact?

I went into my local Game today before going shopping, picked up 6 hits played them when I went for a coffee then on my way back from shopping I went back into Game to hopefully pick up some more hits on the way home and o got 0 hits :(

I don't want to bring the issues with Game into this, but with the latest reports of their troubles, it seems that either Nintendo are going to buy Game or that there will be no StreetPass on the NX.

I don't want to come across as angry, but surely Nintendo Japan and also Nintendo America (not sure how much influence that they have) know that not everyone lives in such highly populated area's and cities where they can pick up StreetPass hits on the way to work via public transport or even just in passing on the street, look at the numbers of people with Pokémon Go where they had trouble playing because of the area they lived in, not everyone that owns a 3DS or prospective NX buyers are school children.

Top Bottom