• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

apparently schools and especialy unis are streetpass heaven.
visited my old uni just for the hell of it with my 3DS in my pocket
came home with some streetpasses

I also drum around 8000 steps in one drumming session.
metal doublebass drumming FTW!

beje

Banned
lol
actualy it's way more exhausting than just walking or even powerwalking

my friend, one lazy fuck, straps his 3DS to his dog when he lets it outside in the garden.

I can't believe people have to do that. I max out by a huge margin the coin counter everyday just by the daily commute to work and back which I believe involves LESS than 1Km walking total.

By the way, I'm just checking it and I'm at almost 1 million steps, which accounts for more than 4000 steps everyday on average.

Javier

mGqQC.jpg

Went to the Mall of America today and it was a gold mine...well at least by my street passing records. Bumped my hits from the 25 to 35.

One thing I noticed is a hit from a few days ago says "met via invitation". Anyone know what this means? Google has given my the same question. But no answers.

Tyeforce

Went to the Mall of America today and it was a gold mine...well at least by my street passing records. Bumped my hits from the 25 to 35.

One thing I noticed is a hit from a few days ago says "met via invitation". Anyone know what this means? Google has given my the same question. But no answers.
It means you received their Mii from a StreetPass title that uses Miis (Nintendo 3DS Sound, nintendogs + cats, etc.), but for whatever reason you didn't get their Mii from StreetPass Mii Plaza, though the system can still pull in their Mii to the Plaza from the other titles.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I live in the middle of nowhere and haven't received a single streetpass hit, but a I have a couple of (silly) questions that are long overdue;
- Does the 3DS collect records when it's active or only when put to sleep?
- Does the 3DS collect records at a specific instance, ie homescreen only, or basically everywhere?
- If I wanted to take advantage of the streetpass feature of a certain game, does the game flash have to be inside the 3DS, or the game even running, or does having the streetpass files of said game installed just enough?

The best case scenario is that the 3DS collect Data as long as it's not off, and that and my games interact with others' regardless of what flash is inside.

Roto13

I live in the middle of nowhere and haven't received a single streetpass hit, but a I have a couple of (silly) questions that are long overdue;
- Does the 3DS collect records at a specific instance, ie homescreen only, or basically everywhere?
- If I wanted to take advantage of the streetpass feature of a certain game, does the game flash have to be inside the 3DS, or the game even running, or does having the streetpass files of said game installed just enough?

The best case scenario is that the 3DS collect Data as long as it's not off, and that and my games interact with others' regardless of what flash is inside.

- It can be open, too.
- It collects StreetPasses when on the home menu or when using 3DS software. StreetPass is turned off when using regular DS software.
- Games install streetpass data on your 3DS and it can continue to collect data for that game whether the game is in the 3DS or not. It will store a certain amount of collected StreetPass data (how much depends on the game, Super Mario 3D Land only holds data for 3 people at a time and Pokemon Rumble Blast holds up to 50) until the next time you play the game.

Wichu

It only counts steps when it's closed, but you can StreetPass when it's open as well. Roto's covered everything else.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So it's basically the "best case scenario." Now I wish I was in a place populated with enthusiasts.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Esiquio

I just got a StreetPass hit while driving on the freeway. Traffic was pretty sucky, and I had the 3DS closed up and placed on the driver-side storage deal in the door. Awesome!

Baconbitz

Banned
So, yesterday I went to Hanover, PA for the day and we went Christmas shopping. I was in the electronics area and walk past the store unit and got a Mii. I'm sure I got it from the store unit 'cause I checked the store unit and it had my Mii.

watershed

Banned
Got two streetpasses today between work. Finished the Zelda puzzle and man I wish the 3ds was capable of graphics like that in an actual game. The Link model is surprisingly high poly and has great lighting. The fiery sky is especially impressive. Kinda makes me want some TP zelda graphics on the 3ds.............nah, WW graphics is still the best.

beje

Banned
It looks like the Mii inviting from Mario Kart 7 online to the StreetPass Plaza sometimes also counts as StreetPass. I just booted SM3DL and found a lot of gifts from people I played with in the GAF community last night.

SmokyDave

I've had about 10/11 Streetpasses so far. Not great since I live in a big city and I've had the device for a month or two, but it's a start.

I wish the Mii's that I got from MarioKart were usable in the mini-games.

pride? hell no, he drives to the cigarette automat which is a stone's throw away(40-50meters) to get his smokes.

He sounds like my kind of guy.

Second day in a row that I haven't gotten any streetpasses. Wonder if that has anything to do with the update or if I'm just unusually unlucky.

Something weird happened yesterday. A Mii I had met 2 months ago showed up for trading puzzle pieces again; but I was at home and the meeting date still said: "2 months ago". She didn't have new pieces... weird

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Then you're doing something wrong. I live in a 4 million one and I have at least one everyday I take the console out.
I live in London and I don't get one every single day. In fact I haven't received one in quite a while. Going to see the Lego Christmas Tree later today at King's Cross so hopefully there will be some opportunities there.

Something weird happened yesterday. A Mii I had met 2 months ago showed up for trading puzzle pieces again; but I was at home and the meeting date still said: "2 months ago". She didn't have new pieces... weird
Same. Probably due to the new panels opening up so the game thought that there was an opportunity for a piece.

sakipon

I've had my 3DS since March and I've had a total of 0 non-arranged Streetpasses in a city of 3 million. Fun~

I once streetpassed a stranger in a place with 35 000 residents. But that was just luck, easily the most of my hits are from train stations and various kinds of mass events.

I also had my latest passed Mii re-appear.

creid

Happened to me, but I understand why. I finished the puzzles and Find Mii months ago, so lately I've been doing nothing with the Miis that I meet. After the software update, I actually opened the puzzles, and my last 2 people were still waiting for me. Is this what happened to you?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I got my first 2 streetpasses today! AWESOME! XD! I saw the green light and was like... Oh shit can it be!?!

Indeed, got one for Mk7 and another for 3D Land. Felt awesome

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Maybe someone here can answer this... a couple months ago my StreetPass plaza limit on the notifications screen changed from XX/10 to XX/99. So theoretically I'd be able to tag 99 people at a time.

I've only ever gotten it over the "10" once, I was at 14/99 and when I launched the plaza the whole system just locked up and I lost all 14 tags. Does anyone else's have this? Is it a glitch, or can I actually tag 99 people at a time? Do I only get to play with the first ten of them in Find Mii? I cannot find information about this anywhere on the net except a couple brief articles mentioning the limit being raised to 99.

Tyeforce

Maybe someone here can answer this... a couple months ago my StreetPass plaza limit on the notifications screen changed from XX/10 to XX/99. So theoretically I'd be able to tag 99 people at a time.

I've only ever gotten it over the "10" once, I was at 14/99 and when I launched the plaza the whole system just locked up and I lost all 14 tags. Does anyone else's have this? Is it a glitch, or can I actually tag 99 people at a time? Do I only get to play with the first ten of them in Find Mii? I cannot find information about this anywhere on the net except a couple brief articles mentioning the limit being raised to 99.
It's a glitch. The same exact thing happened to me a few months ago. My StreetPass Mii Plaza limit randomly changed to 99 instead of 10, and I figured it was from an update awhile back and I had just then noticed it. I figured I'd take advantage of the new higher limit at a local convention that was coming up, but when I hit 10 StreetPasses the limit changed back to 10.

watershed

Banned
I just went christmas shopping at the mall with my family. The mall had the Nintendo experience set up and I streetpassed 4 times including getting the "forever alone" mii. That mii is frickin' scary!

I'm really upset at my 3DS. I went in the plaza and had a ton of new Miis in there, but never got the notification...
EDIT: NVM.....WTF does "met via invitation" mean?

I'm really upset at my 3DS. I went in the plaza and had a ton of new Miis in there, but never got the notification...
EDIT: NVM.....WTF does "met via invitation" mean?

They're people you've played with online...most likely from Mario Kart 7 if you have that.

Myself, I turned off invites because I didn't like so many people in my Plaza that I didn't actually meet.

Jintor

I like this new more involved Streetpass Quest. It speaks to me of Nintendo maybe having higher aims for the Streetpass system, or at least wanting to support it officially for some time.

DTJAAAAM

They're people you've played with online...most likely from Mario Kart 7 if you have that.

Myself, I turned off invites because I didn't like so many people in my Plaza that I didn't actually meet.

Same here, I feel no satisfaction from getting these SpotPass Mii, so they're getting deleted.

Mzo

Wait for a local anime convention.

Hang out in the lobby of the closest hotel.

I finished the first Find Mii and all the puzzle pieces in two days.

PAX will be huge this year, though by then I'll have a Vita =X

I haven't even played the game online...now I gotta mess with the setting in this game. I was so mad because I'm now at the part of Find Mii where you need a Mii with a white shirt on...I can't start Find Mii 2 because of the hats...
At least I have a someone near me that's constantly street passing..

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I ran into an American yesterday but they didn't have a State listed so my brand new USA map is all white. :(

At least I've met people from 3 different countries now. :)

Luigison

I was surprised to see that I got a David Dayton Mii from someone named Alex using Streetpass Thorsday. It was surprising because I actually know David and he lives nearly 3000 miles away from myself and the person I got his Mii from.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I was surprised to see that I got a David Dayton Mii from someone named Alex using Streetpass Thorsday. It was surprising because I actually know David and he lives nearly 3000 miles away from myself and the person I got his Mii from.

That's.... different.

Who does it list as the creator? What is the name of the Mii?

I -suppose- someone could have come across my Mii on either the Wii (via the Mii Channel/Plaza exchange thing) or from Mario Kart 7... and then copied it from their 3DS Mii Plaza to their Mii Channel and made it their own, but I wouldn't think you'd do that unless you thought the Mii was either really funny looking -or- very similar to you.

Either someone named Alex is chuckling over my face, or I have a doppleganger.

I mean, anyone can generally copy anyone else's Mii, so it's not THAT weird -- I'm just surprised. Streetpass Miis only get transferred if you select them as your identity for the system and/or game, right? They don't swap plaza characters, do they?

Top Bottom