• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

IrishNinja

man, i take this thing with me everywhere, still like 30 passes total. was on campus at my college last week, only got 1!

where are ya'll getting them? the ones near my apt are guys/kids with no puzzle pieces. here's to hoping the zelda concert makes up for this weak effort, heh.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I love Japan, taking my 3DS with me anywhere where there's civilization gives me 10-20 new Miis.

kiri

All puzzles completed and most of the hats obtained now, I have about 2 more run-throughs of the Secret Find Mii II quest to do before I'm finished.

1055 people street-passed.
1246 times street-passed.

IrishNinja

what the

where do you people live/frequent

im carrying this thing on me, in my pocket. i keep weird hours, but even so, something is going wrong here!

5amshift

Banned
what the

im carrying this thing on me, in my pocket. i keep weird hours, but even so, something is going wrong here!

I'm in Boston, but when I went on a day trip to New York City, I got so many. NYC is the place for streetpasses as I got some passes from other country's also.

whitehawk

Banned
Weirdest moment yesterday. Saw a group of 3 people and 1 took out their 3DS on the Subway. "Ooh, I've got a streetpass! I looove streetpasses!" she said. When she came across my Mii she mentioned that I was wearing an onion or something. I almost felt like saying "It's a Pikmin hat, c'mon now.". Then mentioned that she felt sorry for me because I used Netflix on my 3DS.

Anyway it was weird seeing these 3 talk about my Mii when I was sitting right next to them.

what the

NYC, usually average about 10-15 a day depending on the time.
Does anyone use the streetpass from the music player? Haven't met many that do.

Acid08

Banned
Purchased a 3DS a couple days ago! Got one StreetPass but that was from a friend :p. Haven't brought it with me anywhere so far.

gerudoman

Guys, seen the green light of the 3DS flashing while being at home is an amazing experience, specially if you live on a flat where 70% of neighbours are over 50 years old and which. Funniest thing is that the day before I spent over two hours in the centre of Madrid, where usually I can get at least 4-5 Miis, and didn't get any encounter!

clemenx

Banned
I just realized I've been streetpassing someone from my apartment building :D Just realized it because of the time I got the tag, heh.

Also she's the only Mii I've seen more than once, should have made the connection sooner. Feels good man, specially in my country. Getting a single tag can be a mission.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Did the guy who was going to meet his "female Streetpass buddy" end up getting killed? He never returned to the thread after the day he said he was meeting her...

I wish more people would use the Streetpass feature in Swapnote. As rare as it is to get a streetpass around here, it'd be awesome to see that personal touch of someone I passed.

Naturally they all get my streetpass swapnote ;)

Wrekt

I bought a 3ds when the price drop hit. It has been with me ever since, and has accompanied me to malls, bowling alleys and professional hockey games. I live in one of the top 10ish densely populated areas in the United States. I swore it was just broke on my 3ds, but I got my first hit this weekend.

It happened while I was at the smallest airport I've ever flown out of. I don't know what I can do with all this power now. Carrying around this giant block of plastic for the better part of a year has finally paid off.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wish more people would use the Streetpass feature in Swapnote. As rare as it is to get a streetpass around here, it'd be awesome to see that personal touch of someone I passed.

I thought you had to be friends to streetpass notes.

Also I've always been tempted to make my message a bit creepy.

I thought you had to be friends to streetpass notes.

Also I've always been tempted to make my message a bit creepy.

I.....don't know.

I just assumed the streetpass portion in swapnote would work like all streetpass features.

I also have no way of testing it....

what the

melbourne, australia. started a masters in computer science this year so 5 days a week i go into the city and sit in lecture halls with a few hundred other nerds. previously i'd take it with me whenever i went to a big shopping centre or similar, and i must've got about 4 hits in 3 months. had over fifty in the last two weeks.

Greymanic

Neo Member
Stupid question.

Can I still gain pieces on a puzzle in which I've all but the pink pieces? Example being, I'm 23/24 on Rhythm Heaven Fever and I'm curious if I spent coins to try get pieces for my other puzzles could I still potentially get a piece for it?

Stupid question.

Can I still gain pieces on a puzzle in which I've all but the pink pieces? Example being, I'm 23/24 on Rhythm Heaven Fever and I'm curious if I spent coins to try get pieces for my other puzzles could I still potentially get a piece for it?

No, the pink pieces are StreetPass only

Tyeforce

Stupid question.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that no, you don't get pieces from panels that you have all pieces in for except pink ones. So the random pieces that you buy should only come from panels that you haven't obtained all the normal pieces in.

Greymanic

Neo Member
No, the pink pieces are StreetPass only

This I know (probably should of phrased it better). I moreso meant do I have a chance at gaining any pieces from that puzzle or does it remove that puzzle from the lottery draw despite not being fully complete i.e. only missing the pink pieces.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that no, you don't get pieces from panels that you have all pieces in for except pink ones. So the random pieces that you buy should only come from panels that you haven't obtained all the normal pieces in.

Thanks Tye, figured as much but buying 10 additional pieces and not getting a single one on that puzzle didn't really seem conclusive.

Lausebub

Banned
I've gotten 252 Street Passes so far. Bought the system 5 and a half months ago.

The second playthrough of Find Mii 2 is really unfair sometimes...First I had to destroy a B/W shield, and the green slimes basically dodge every single attack, I wonder if sleep or freeze helps there...

Ricker

What the hell...I'm in the Montreal area and I just got a random streetpass buddy and it said he was from Ontario??? it even unlocked the part of the map and all lol...cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What the hell...I'm in the Montreal area and I just got a random streetpass buddy and it said he was from Ontario??? it even unlocked the part of the map and all lol...cool.

I've picked up 5 different countries, and three Canadian provinces. And that's without traveling outside of Ontario since I got the 3DS.

Tyeforce

Thanks Tye, figured as much but buying 10 additional pieces and not getting a single one on that puzzle didn't really seem conclusive.
No problem. =) I worried about that too when I was buying pieces, lol. But I stopped buying pieces before I completed all of the normal pieces in any of the new panels.

Oh yeah, is there a way to view this map afterwards?
Yeah, you can view the StreetPass Map by selecting the white globe to the left of your Mii in the StreetPass Mii Plaza.

The second playthrough of Find Mii 2 is really unfair sometimes...First I had to destroy a B/W shield, and the green slimes basically dodge every single attack, I wonder if sleep or freeze helps there...

But I also got advice from the King of my quest that SAND works great against the green slimes. (makes them slower, but of course prone to missing too). Good news? The green guys are very weak!

On my Fourth run on Secret Quest 2...and the last path gate is a pain!
The monsters there are a Reaper General and a mummy maurader. The reaper General itself has over 80 plus hit points, and if you kill the mummy it has resurrection spells to raise them back! Plus, the curse gas..which can be a pain, but avoidable..

Thank goodness I have some level 7s I can hire...=/

Also..to the guy who asked: If you have nothing left but pink pieces in a puzzle, and you buy pieces, it will NOT buy any from the one that is complete (with the pink pieces). I know this as I got all my pieces for the DKC puzzle with the update and couldn't buy any pieces until I streetpassed someone with another puzzle. Just FYI. =)

(Currently at 288/345 puzzle pieces as of...today)

DTJAAAAM

WonderCon's happening tomorrow through Sunday in Anaheim, CA. I picked up a decent amount last year when it was in San Francisco, so if you need some StreetPass tags and have easy access to the Anaheim Convention Center, make sure to walk by!

Weirdest moment yesterday. Saw a group of 3 people and 1 took out their 3DS on the Subway. "Ooh, I've got a streetpass! I looove streetpasses!" she said. When she came across my Mii she mentioned that I was wearing an onion or something. I almost felt like saying "It's a Pikmin hat, c'mon now.". Then mentioned that she felt sorry for me because I used Netflix on my 3DS.

Anyway it was weird seeing these 3 talk about my Mii when I was sitting right next to them.

I pretty much had this exact same experience in the DC Metro once. Some guys pulled their 3DS's out and were reading everything my Mii said out loud. I opted not to be noticed.

I'm standing at around 500 population. I've had the system since launch and the DC Metro incident, an earlier encounter with a Venezuelan at a Chinese restaurant (of all places), and a couple times at the movie theater are the only random StreetPasses I've had, ever - all others are either personal friends or from anime/gaming conventions.

It was great how all but three of the pink pieces were obtainable at MAGFest this year.

Ricker

Damn,I was sure it was like local WI-FI stuff that StreetPass picked up...so basically if you leave the 3DS on just sitting in your house,you can pick up people from other country?...

Greymanic

Neo Member
Also..to the guy who asked: If you have nothing left but pink pieces in a puzzle, and you buy pieces, it will NOT buy any from the one that is complete (with the pink pieces). I know this as I got all my pieces for the DKC puzzle with the update and couldn't buy any pieces until I streetpassed someone with another puzzle. Just FYI. =)

(Currently at 288/345 puzzle pieces as of...today)

Well guess that confirms it then, thanks for that! :)

No problem. =) I worried about that too when I was buying pieces, lol. But I stopped buying pieces before I completed all of the normal pieces in any of the new panels.

I'm getting close to that point myself but sadly I've run out of pink pieces to exchange with my close group of friends. Until someone finds a new one I figured I'd quickly finish up the outer edges with the coins I've got but didn't want to seem wasteful especially with that reaper general mentioned above to kill <,<;

Lausebub

Banned

Yeah, you can view the StreetPass Map by selecting the white globe to the left of your Mii in the StreetPass Mii Plaza.

I'm sorry, but I can't find it. I'm in the plaza, press A on my mii, now the blue ID thingy pops up at the top screen with view, settins and back. When I choose view (and I looked at both pages), I couldn't find this white globe. Where is it excactly?

Top Bottom