• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

duckroll

Okay. TGS is here. The launch lineup of the Vita has been revealed. The 3DS holiday season lineups have been revealed. All prices in the near future are fixed. Everything is out in the open. Slug it out in here, and try to prevent comparisons and arguments about the consoles spilling into threads which are meant to discuss specific games. Hopefully this will keep everyone sane. Have fun!

Medalion

Banned
I am going down with the ship (3DS) and have no interest in the Vita besides being a portable media player with a semi-HD OLED screen. Games? lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm excited for both! I already like the 3DS and the upcoming lineup is pretty great while the Vita is exciting and also has a great lineup on the way. I'm all over both of them! With a one month old baby in the house I've found myself playing a lot of portable games lately so the timing could not be better!

AranhaHunter said:
This TGS convinced me to get an iOS or android device and I'm not even trying to be funny.
iOS, I could almost understand, but the Android gaming lineup is absolutely pathetic next to the 3DS and Vita.

Honestly, I've owned an iPhone for a while, and while it's great for quick games, I still think the 3DS and Vita offer and will offer much better gaming experiences overall. That's not to say there aren't great titles on iOS (there definitely are), but that it really isn't a proper replacement for a dedicated games machine if you care about high quality, polished experiences.

If you only care about the times when you might pick up and play for 5 minutes here and there, an iOS device will do just fine.

Android, though, is still a joke on the gaming front.

Abandon all hope ye who enter handheld gaming

ALL HOPE I SAY

(Vita is going to fall on its face out the gate. What happens after that... banks on having lightning striking twice and Sony finding another MH.)

Midou

This seems to be similar to the PS3/360 situation, the 360 was a year into its life when the PS3 came out, so it had a lot more major announcements.

3DS has definitly done a 180 with its monday event though. I bought one a few months ago, and mostly just have Zelda and Devil Survivor.

I think that the Vita has a more impressive launch window than the 3DS had, but the 3DS' upcoming original titles are more impressive, while the Vita is stuck in the early life ports/remake part of its life, like the 3DS had early on.

I imagine a year from now they will be more like the PS3/360 fight than the PSP/DS fight.

Even with all the doom and gloom that the Vita didn't get a MH, its 26 title launch still has quite a few good looking titles.

Shadow780

They're all doomed, GREE is taking over.

real discussion, I think they're both not going to achieve huge mass market success, but each will have their userbase.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AranhaHunter said:
This TGS convinced me to get an iOS or android device and I'm not even trying to be funny.
Your loss. Both systems currently have more engaging gaming experiences than iOS/Android and both systems launch lineups basically suck.

ShinNL

I assume this thread will also keep derailing posters from both Vita and 3DS threads, arguing constantly about specs (still!), fan loyalty and whatnot. The port begging instantly stopped the moment MH4 thread had that title, which is great. Let's keep it this way.

I'm a 3DS owner with no current plans on buying a Vita.

PSVita_Comic_new.jpg

dark10x

faridmon said:
According to their battery info, both of them are garbage.
Compared to what? Unfortunately, they are right on par with just about every other portable device around these days. Tablets offer better life, but are much larger, while smart phones are around the same ball park.

Buying Vita and have 3DS and iOS devices already.
Guess I'm part of the winners table.
High five!

MisterHero

Is it so crazy just to make a machine that plays games? D:

also, 3DS has FFVII

I saw the screenshot

LOL

Momo

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
Instead, they just get closed! Hooray!
I actually just went to the MH4 thread now to see if I could catch up on MH talk and post free of teh console warz... I agree with duckroll, the thread went to shit and ceased being about MH a while ago. Not that it was about MH much to start with.

I love my iPhone!

As a phone.

And a music player.

And it's a decent web browser.

But for games...eh. Touch screen buttons are terrible and the App Store is a pain for finding new and interesting titles. Basically if you're not in the Top 25 or on the "featured" page, you may as well not be there.

Diggin' the 3DS thus far, and I definitely want a Vita, considering how much I enjoyed my PSP systems, but I'll likely wait a bit into its life for Sony to iron out its inevitable hardware issues and hopefully a price drop or two.

As I made a previous thread about, I'd love a compact Vita, but I doubt that'll happen for a while, if ever.

I think Vita has an almost surprisingly competent lineup. That's a lot of game to launch with or to have in launch window, and many of them come from recognizable franchises. Many of them will probably be recognized as underappreciated cult hits down the line. It's definitely a few steps up from the 3DS.

The only real problem their lineup has right now is something the 3DS scrambled to fix pretty quickly: securing AAA titles. Zelda OoT3D hit not TOO long after launch (Was it 4 or 5 months?), and I won't be too surprised if Vita has something like this as well, but if they do, we know nothing of it yet.

Skilletor

iPod ready.
iPad ready.
LG G2X ready.
3DS ready.
Vita ready.

Wallet.

Wallet?

I know I left you...

There you are, why do you hide from me, wallet?

Why are you empty?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

protonion

I'm not paying more than 150 for either. I'm not even touching the current 3ds model. Battery life has to be improved or I'm not getting either.Not a single game is a reason for me to buy them.

So yeah for me it will be a while. They both suck for now...

faridmon

dark10x said:
Compared to what? Unfortunately, they are right on par with just about every other portable device around these days. Tablets offer better life, but are much larger, while smart phones are around the same ball park.
The DSLite, the DSi even the PSP 2000 which I am enjoying at the moment have longer battery life than those.

5 hours. I remember playing Persona 3 PES nonstop for hours to no end and the battery lasted me and more.

qq more

Momo said:
I actually just went to the MH4 thread now to see if I could catch up on MH talk and post free of teh console warz... I agree with duckroll, the thread went to shit and ceased being about MH a while ago. Not that it was about MH much to start with.
Really? That sucks because I wanted to talk about MH4. Damn console wars.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's get the ball rolling

amz7s2.gif

rer1ex8c.gif

rer2mbsl.gif

Revelations is the only 3DS title that looks good enough to pass for a Vita game I suppose.

I think both Vita and 3DS are screwed

Vita:
-Price point
-Battery life
-Just play the games on PS3
-Smartphones killing them

3DS:
-Gimmicky 3D
-Bullshit add on controller
-Same dead horse franchises
-Smartphones killing them

My biggest gripe with iOS/Android gaming is that many games are being designed specifically with micro transactions in mind and therefore making them very limited in scope.

That said, I may end up with either a 3DS or Vita at some point in 2012. I also own and iPhone and iPad2. I like buying shit :(

MisterHero

EvilMario said:
LCD games are the future.

6jIHS.jpg
Remember when Nintendo re-released Game & Watch games for digital watches

Investors take heed! Digital watches are the future for Nintendo!!!!

ShinNL

Momo said:
Wow, I actually missed the last pages. It did go shit again. Vita(-only) fans should just stay out of threads with "3DS" in the title. Well, except for this one of course :|

dark10x

faridmon said:
The DSLite, the DSi even the PSP 2000 which I am enjoying at the moment have longer battery life than those.

5 hours. I remember playing Persona 3 PES nonstop for hours to no end and the battery lasted me and more.
I'm afraid technology is exceeding battery capabilities at this point. Those quoted Vita numbers are somewhat similar to the PSP numbers, however, and the 3DS is pretty much on par with it. If you can deal with the PSP, you can deal with these new systems.

The 3DS is particularly easy to handle when it comes to recharging thanks to its included dock.

Revelations is the only 3DS title that looks good enough to pass for a Vita game I suppose.
In trailers, yes, but the demo included in Mercs 3D definitely isn't as impressive. Simplistic scenery, ugly shadows, slowdown, and blurry textures abound. It's not ugly, but it's not really the showpiece I expected. Hopefully the final game looks significantly better and actually runs smoothly.

Derrick01

Banned
Buying a Vita day 1, still looking for just 1 game on 3DS that's out already or announced that looks even remotely interesting. I kind of want to buy one but there's literally no reason for me to get one.

So the 3DS has 3-5 hours of battery life and the Vita has 3-5 hours of battery life and both take 3 hours to charge? Am I missing a battery secret about the 3DS?
amidoingitright

Luigi87

I will get a VITA.
But not at launch.

I don't support this One System Future that so many people cling to! I believe in a division of states, where we can express our gaming desires based on varying hardware!

Bring forth a continuing age of multiple platforms, but nay, I say nay for the need of war! Just because I play Mario, does that forbid me from playing Uncharted? I propose peace amongst factions! Brothers, sisters, that guy in his parent's basement, you know who you are, throw down your systems! ... Not literally though, as there's a good chance they'll break, but cast aside these pre-notions of loyalty and betrayal! Embrace your fellow gamer!

All I ask for understanding! We can all enjoy our games, with our measly 3-5 hours of battery life on both 3DS and VITA! There is no harm in that!

Just because we enjoy one company's platform more than the other, doesn't mean we can't enjoy both!

...Except smartphones, they suck.

ShinNL

protonion said:
I'm not paying more than 150 for either. I'm not even touching the current 3ds model. Battery life has to be improved or I'm not getting either.Not a single game is a reason for me to buy them.

So yeah for me it will be a while. They both suck for now...
Have fun waiting.

muu

Comments made by Kojima last night made it seem they were surprised Vita was coming out this early. I'd agree, as the selection is lackluster and is only bolstered by what would be apps (music players and niconico player counting as part of the lineup). Don't know what's worse though, letting 3DS have free reign over one holiday season, or fumbling out the door.

Top Bottom