• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

Berksy

My wallet am doom.
Btw just ordered a 2nd PSP today.
DSi: check
iTouch: check
Vita: Day 1
3DS: Near mid life cycle

On topic: android has no games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
faridmon said:
Oh no. The PSP with the Wifi on is around 5 hours and around 8 hours when is not on.

And it only need 30 minutes to an hour to fully recharge.
You should check out the stats Sony released for the PSP battery life then as it was MUCH lower than 8 hours. Again, I own three PSPs and a 3DS. The 3DS doesn't last quite as long, but it's pretty close. I doubt you'd run into issues.

guek said:
not saying this is the case for dark10x but as far as apple diehards are concerned, all other platforms take shits in your mouth while raping your mother.
Definitely not the case for me (I'm not an Apple diehard).

The problem I've seen with Android gaming is that, in addition to the middling selection, most Android games on faster Android phones tend to run very poorly. Nearly all of my favorite iPhone games run at 60 fps and play very well as a result. Many Android games operate more in the region of 15 fps. When you couple low framerates with touch screen controls, you're left with a pretty janky experience. Obviously, the casual market isn't going to give a shit, but for myself, Android is pretty bad right now. Of my friends, I'm one of the only iPhone users, however, and most of them own recent Android phones and tablets so I've spent a lot of time LOOKING for legitimately solid games. There really aren't that many.

I'd love for someone to point out some great Android shooters, platformers, and simple action games that run at 60 fps. My friends would greatly appreciate some quality, polished Android games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I own a 3DS, PSP Slim, PSP GO, DSi, DS Lite, iPhone 4.

For the next months ill be happy with my iOS devices (will get the iPad 3) and the 3DS. Vita is nice too, but i rather spend those 300 bucks for upcoming software titles.

hatchx

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
I think both Vita and 3DS are screwed

Vita:
-Price point
-Battery life
-Just play the games on PS3
-Smartphones killing them

3DS:
-Gimmicky 3D
-Bullshit add on controller
-Same dead horse franchises

My biggest gripe with iOS/Android gaming is that many games are being designed specifically with micro transactions in mind and therefore making them very limited in scope.

That said, I may end up with either a 3DS or Vita at some point in 2012. I also own and iPhone and iPad2. I like buying shit :(

Dead Horse franchises?

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
Install bases in 2016:

3DS = 65M
PSV = 40M

Book it.
Both lower than PSP? Wanna bet on that?

Anyway, I don't buy Apple devices, I'm getting an Android phone soon, I'm getting 3DS this holiday, and I'll get Vita a few years down because $250 + $20-25 for a 4GB card + $40 game = too much at once.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AbsoluteZero said:
Has there been a Final Fantasy game announced outside of the X port?

Pretty close..

e59Y4.jpg

hatchx said:
Dead Horse franchises?

You know, those Mario and Monster Hunter games that never sell.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
You should check out the stats Sony released for the PSP battery life then as it was MUCH lower than 8 hours. Again, I own three PSPs and a 3DS. The 3DS doesn't last quite as long, but it's pretty close. I doubt you'd run into issues.

Definitely not the case for me (I'm not an Apple diehard).

The problem I've seen with Android gaming is that, in addition to the middling selection, most Android games on faster Android phones tend to run very poorly. Nearly all of my favorite iPhone games run at 60 fps and play very well as a result. Many Android games operate more in the region of 15 fps. When you couple low framerates with touch screen controls, you're left with a pretty janky experience. Obviously, the casual market isn't going to give a shit, but for myself, Android is pretty bad right now. Of my friends, I'm one of the only iPhone users, however, and most of them own recent Android phones and tablets so I've spent a lot of time LOOKING for legitimately solid games. There really aren't that many.

I'd love for someone to point out some great Android shooters, platformers, and simple action games that run at 60 fps. My friends would greatly appreciate some quality, polished Android games.

'
Maybe you're right, and I've just had much better luck than you, but now I'm curious. Please name the games on IOS that run at 60fps and only 15fps on a comparable android device (to an iPhone 4).

I can name a shitload of great running android titles, 2d and 3d, that are on both platforms.

edit: The biggest issue with android gaming in relation to IOS, is NOT selection or performance, but rather fragmentation. You CAN have a "great" (I wouldnt say that myself, about IOS or Android gaming, but nevertheless) experience on the platform, so long as you have the right device. If anything, that's what you should have pointed out as being the big issue. The games themselves run fantastically on even oldish hardware (Droid X and up).

DarkWish

[Nintex] said:
"You can see what your friend is doing in Mario Kart 7!", can I join this friend? When 4DS comes out... probably.
Actually it's already confirmed you can race someone via the Friend List for Mario Kart 7, this was announced and shown their conference this week.

diffusionx

Gold Member
gutterboy44 said:
-Battery life
Is on par with similar devices of its nature
Really? The 10 hours of gaming i get on iPad2 disagrees and the solid 8 hours on my phone.

The iPad is much bigger than either the PSV or the 3DS.

The iPad = 10" screen + iPhone internals (so picture the iPhone motherboard inside iPad) + rest of space filled with battery.

That's how the iPad gets such an insane battery life. Battery tech hasn't kept up with mobile computing tech, of course battery life will suffer. Barring some incredible breakthrough, that will be the case for the forseeable future.

I really don't like the iPad/iPhone for gaming. I just don't like the controls.

Hylian7

gutterboy44 said:
I think both Vita and 3DS are screwed

Vita:
-Price point Curious how this will turn out, since it was obviously initially trying to be a competitive price with the 3DS. I honestly expected $299 out of E3.
-Battery life 3DS kind of has this too.
-Just play the games on PS3

3DS:
-Gimmicky 3D Go look at the Super Mario 3D Land screenshots. Play Starfox and OoT3D. It ain't no gimmick.
-Bullshit add on controller Optional, and I won't be buying one
-Same dead horse franchises Vita isn't exactly getting off scot free of this either, however, I don't think the franchises in either case are "dead horse" and still are as incredible as they always have been

My biggest gripe with iOS/Android gaming is that many games are being designed specifically with micro transactions in mind and therefore making them very limited in scope.

That said, I may end up with either a 3DS or Vita at some point in 2012. I also own and iPhone and iPad2. I like buying shit :(
I own a 3DS, I may eventually get a Vita, but so far I'm liking 3DS better than Vita is sounding.

Upcoming iOS game Shadowgun:

6W3tK.jpg

This is why I give less and less fucks about dedicated portables, and the controls can be pulled off very well it just varies from developer to developer. I dislike the 3DS, I'm not against Vita but I'm underwhelmed by yesterday's details and am not going to early adopt.

notjustangrybirds.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jonnybryce said:

This is why I give less and less fucks about dedicated portables, and the controls can be pulled off very well it just varies from developer to developer.

notjustangrybirds.gif

Most of GAF will admit there are good games on iOS, but they're not really that games that sell. It's the free-$0.99 games that really move download numbers.

BurntPork said:
And don't forget that Pokey-man or whatever fad that died ten years ago.

They haven't even announced Pokey-man yet. It's probably headed to iOS.

Fredrik

Zoramon089 said:
Aside from battery life the 3DS is all of those things, or will be
Is? No. Will be? Maybe. But the current and upcoming software library says otherwise. Right now 3DS games are mostly the type of games you usually play on your home console, or your PSP if you will, and I bet that if there is a Castlevania announced for the 3DS it will be more like Lords of Shadow with sloppy analog controls and an annoying 3D camera and less like Dawn of Sorrow with distinct Dpad controls and lovely 2D sprite art.

But. You can play DS games on the 3DS, so it's not all bad. My software library for the 3DS consists of 4 3DS games and 17 DS games right now. Don't know if that's good or bad for Nintendo.

Hylian7 said:
I own a 3DS, I may eventually get a Vita, but so far I'm liking 3DS better than Vita is sounding.[/QUOTE

I don't think these are crippling problems, but this is kind of the, "if you are gonna hate, hate here" thread. So I just stated some hate on all the competitors involved. I get why people have fun with Nintendo games, I just got tired of them around the Gamecube. I ended up just giving it away to a friend. I like new things, I am not right, just my take.

Synless

jonnybryce said:

*pic*

This is why I give less and less fucks about dedicated portables, and the controls can be pulled off very well it just varies from developer to developer. I dislike the 3DS, I'm not against Vita but I'm underwhelmed by yesterday's details and am not going to early adopt.

notjustangrybirds.gif
It doesn't look that impressive.

EvilMario said:
Pretty close..

http://imgur.com/e59Y4.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Well I meant on the Vita, because thuway said:

[quote]Only a fool would pass up both systems. If I had to choose, [b]I'd go with Vita,[/b] mainly for the Uncharted, [b]Final Fantasy love.[/b][/quote]

[QUOTE=jonnybryce]Upcoming iOS game Shadowgun:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6W3tK.jpg[IMG]

notjustangrybirds.gif[/QUOTE]

Oh man, and folks were complaining about shooters playing bad on the PSP with only one stick, lol.

jonnybryce said:

6W3tK.jpg

notjustangrybirds.gif

I have yet to play a 3d ios game that didn't control like complete dogshit.

kinggroin

Banned
jonnybryce said:

6W3tK.jpg

notjustangrybirds.gif

Very early build, but it looks impressive visually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TGlA5uihtA

Android as well, with 360/PS3 controller support for a non-ass control scheme.

edit: Running on ipad2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA0cbu1BxI

same performance it seems, probably with 4xAA though (tegra 2 version wont have it)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AbsoluteZero said:
Well I meant on the Vita, because thuway said:

I know. I was just sneakily saying the 3DS is the portable with the closet thing to a new Final Fantasy style JRPG at the moment. :p

Guevara

Both the 3DS and the Vita have great looking games on the horizon. The question for me is if they will get enough games over their lifespans (8-10 great games maybe) to justify a purchase.

I already have an iPhone, don't want a tablet, but I have an iPhone because it's one of the better phones. I don't think of it as a gaming platform in the same way I don't think of my laptop as a gaming platform. I haven't spent even $5 on content for my iPhone, and I probably won't in it's short lifetime.

StuBurns

Banned
It's funny, although the 3DS has a Final Fantasy coming, I completely it as such, and that new obscenely named game looks more like a Final Fantasy than anything since XII.

Synless

StuBurns said:
It's funny, although the 3DS has two Final Fantasy coming, I completely disregard both as such, and that new obscenely named game looks more like a Final Fantasy than anything since XII.
What FF games does the 3DS have coming that isn't that music game?

1-D_FTW

My opinion after the last couple of days is that Nintendo and Sony should have swallowed their pride and produced a joint venture handheld. They're so hung up on competing with one another they're missing the big picture. Would have been nice if they'd teamed up with something that was well thought out, loaded with tons of exclusive games, and had developed an app structure that could have made it a compelling alternative to iOS.

Markets always have at least 2 entries. And a system loaded with games (and buttons) could have really developed into a contender in the future. As is, I don't think either one is really addressing anything other than each other.

kinggroin

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Lol, and folks were complaining about the 3DS tumor being annoying to have to carry around.

Please fucking read my posts leading up. That comment about the controller in no way indicates that I think anything positive about this game or that tablet gaming in general is a better solution than the 3ds or vita or whatever the fuck. I don't.

It was pointing out that there would more than likely be a better controlling version of that game he posted. Thats all. More of an IOS versus Android thing.

kinggroin said:
Please fucking read my posts leading up. That comment about the controller in no way indicates that I think anything positive about this game or that tablet gaming in general is a better solution than the 3ds or vita or whatever the fuck. I don't.

It was pointing out that there would more than likely be a better controlling version of that game he posted. Thats all. More of an IOS versus Android thing.

But it's just...if you have to carry around a controller the game isn't portable anymore.

If you have to use a controller at home...why not just on the goddamn console that controller is actually meant for?

kinggroin

Banned
guek said:
that looks terrible

edit: what I mean is it looks like a terrible game. It's pretty enough

Visually? Really?

The gameplay looks like complete ass, I agree. It still LOOKS pretty sharp considering the usual budgets we see on phones and tablet games.

Fuck it. Last time I ever make a case for anything related to IOS or Android again. I'd rather be called a Nintendo fanboy again.

Opiate

AbsoluteZero said:
Lol, and folks were complaining about the 3DS tumor being annoying to have to carry around.

If we want to really start a fire here, I want you to consider what's likely coming around the bend:

A tablet that easily hooks up to a PS3/360 controller and also to your television. That may not happen this year, or next, but it seems like an obvious and natural evolution of the tablet, and tablets are progressing at a torrid pace today similar to PCs in the 80s and 90s.

People are discussing phones eating in to handheld sales today, and I think we can all agree it's happening -- we just aren't sure of the extent yet. And yet, many people seem to think the danger ends there, and obviously consoles are safe and can't be similarly coopted; I would argue they are clearly not safe, and the dangers handheld systems are experiencing are just around the corner for consoles, too.

Why buy a console that only sits under your TV, when you can buy a tablet that you can use all day, then dock it at your TV in the evening to play games at home?
There's my fire spewing for the day.

Cool, does this mean all these lame posts in other threads and news stories regurgitating stuff about this supposed conflict are to be directed here rather than having people infect other threads and create needless new posts?

If so, excellent development!

guek

Banned
kinggroin said:
Visually? Really?

The gameplay looks like complete ass, I agree. It still LOOKS pretty sharp considering the usual budgets we see on phones and tablet games.

Fuck it. Last time I ever make a case for anything related to IOS or Android again. I'd rather be called a Nintendo fanboy again.

lol, you even got my edit in there

outunderthestars said:
I have yet to play a 3d ios game that didn't control like complete dogshit.

Pretty much. Especially the ones trying to be console games or ones that just mimic joystick buttons on the screen. Granted I haven't tried a majority of them. But with most of the videos like Dead Space and such they seem to play themselves.

Plus, if I really wanted to play a shooter I wouldn't play it on my phone.

AbsoluteZero said:
But it's just...if you have to carry around a controller the game isn't portable anymore.

If you have to use a controller at home...why not just on the goddamn console that controller is actually meant for?

we even buy a portable when you can just use a console at home?

3DS preorder canceled

Deku

Banned
kinggroin said:
Visually? Really?

I think Nintendo will ultimately go in that direction but on their own terms. a 'Nintendo store' that plugs in to multiple platforms selling legacy games would make the most sense, without threatening their core business too much.

but they'll keep their own hardware and have a digital and retail business with retail selling their latest stuff on their own hardware.

Iwata openly doubting the long-term prospects of retail is a pretty good indication we'll see way more digital sales in the future.

LProtag

I'm a little confused. Before TGS I thought the main opinion was "woo Vita is doing everything right and has plenty of games and a good price point, etc."

Then suddenly not many new games get announced for Vita and apparently a handful of new games get announced for 3DS along with footage of previously announced games. Then the internet goes "Vita is too expensive, has no games! 3DS is doing everything right now."

Is this how fickle the internet can be? I'm not trying to be a fanboy about the situation, even though it looks like I'm favoring the Vita in my post, I'm just going off of what I've seen. To be completely transparent though I was planning on probably getting a Vita sometime and only getting a 3DS if it comes out with a must-play game for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Opiate said:
If we want to really start a fire here, I want you to consider what's coming:

A tablet that easily hooks up to a PS3/360 controller and also to your television. That may not happen this year, or next, but it seems like an obvious and natural evolution of the tablet, and tablets are progressing at a torrid pace today similar to PCs in the 80s and 90s.

People are discussing phones eating in to handheld sales today, and I think we can all agree it's happening -- we just aren't sure of the extent yet. And yet, many people seem to think the danger ends there, and obviously consoles are safe and can't be similarly coopted; I would argue they are clearly not safe, and the dangers handheld systems are experiencing are just around the corner for consoles, too.

There's my fire spewing for the day.
GAF will collectively explode when articles start saying consoles are doomed thanks to tablets.

Smision said:
we even buy a portable when you can just use a console at home?

3DS preorder canceled

Because I want to be able to play Super Mario 3D Land on my lunch break...and FUCK having to carry around a TV and my Wii whenever I want to get my Mario fix.

Top Bottom