• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

painful fart said:
What part of the UI is not smoth? Using one right now and was just wondering?

Since I bought it, I cannot see myself buying a dedicated gaming device for the kids or myself for that matter.
I am blown away by the versatility of it and the kids love it. It even has pokemon(tower defence), say no more.

Then you don't want a dedicated gaming device. I get that. If you want multimedia functionality, get an iPad or Tab ... but if you are looking for something that is games first and 'stuff' later, then I couldn't in conscience recommend a tablet.

I want a tablet too, for the odds and ends of gaming that it does offer, to surf the web, watch videos or w/e ... but I'd never buy it as a gaming device. I don't think ... "hrm, Vita, 3DS, or iPad". Some will, some do ... but at that point it's not about the games anymore.

kinggroin

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Then you don't want a dedicated gaming device. I get that. If you want multimedia functionality, get an iPad or Tab ... but if you are looking for something that is games first and 'stuff' later, then I couldn't in conscience recommend a tablet.

I want a tablet too, for the odds and ends of gaming that it does offer, to surf the web, watch videos or w/e ... but I'd never buy it as a gaming device. I don't think ... "hrm, Vita, 3DS, or iPad". Some will, some do ... but at that point it's not about the games anymore.

Agreed.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Look, i insulted no one. All am saying is that as a gamer you SHOULD be impressed by Vita's launch line-up. The game you want doesn't have to be there for you to be impressed by the line-up, not only is it the richest line-up in gaming history but it's also one of the most diverse.

I was talking specifically about what they showed last night. I do want Uncharted and Escape Plan, but that's really it for right now. Most of the other games I can play on my PS3. I will get one eventually, but right now, it does not warrant a purchase from me personally.

flyinpiranha said:

Our family already has 4 ds and 1 psp, so you know where I am coming from. Though one kid is really stuck in the pokemon universe, but everyone else have been fighting for the Tab 10.1 over the past two months.

sajj316

yurinka said:
No, because unlike MGS2 and 3 it's already available for Vita (PSP version).
Seems dumb. You would think PW would benefit from a second analogue stick. Will the PSP version be patched for this?

neptunes

sajj316 said:
Seems dumb. You would think PW would benefit from a second analogue stick. Will the PSP version be patched for this?
They weren't quite clear with this, but apparently you can either...

Play PSP games with the d-pad mapped to the second analog stick or,,,
play a patched version that recognizes the Vita's second analog stick,

Deadly Joker said:
I was talking specifically about what they showed last night. I do want Uncharted and Escape Plan, but that's really it for right now. Most of the other games I can play on my PS3. I will get one eventually, but right now, it does not warrant a purchase from me personally.

Exactly the point i was trying to get across, you are impressed but not enough to warrant a purchase. That's understandable, at this point i don't think they need to show anymore games. We are already flooded by games.

yurinka

sajj316 said:
No, your post seems dumb. If you ever play PW, you'll notice that moving the camera with the face buttons is a pain in the ass, like happened in 99% of PSP FPS and 3rd person shooters with this controls.

When Vita was originally announced in Japan, they showcased Vita's PSP emulator. Like PSP's or PS3's PS1 emulator, it has options to map certain controls. In this case they mapped the face buttons to the second analog, and at least in the video it worked really well.

They were running Monster Hunter Protable 3rd, which has the same camera controls. So I don't see why PW can't do it. No need to patch it. I assume it isn't a real analog usage, but it seems to work well and better than the face buttons.

When showcasing the emulator they mentioned "it looks great in this screen with higher resolution". Since Vita has exactly the double in with and height of resolution than PSP, I assume the game was running zoomed 2x with some kind of extra AA. I doubt it was really rendered at a higher res.

So considering the PSP version of PW already has transfarring with PS3 (1st version, as Kojima mentioned several times), I don't know why they need to release a PW Vita version. He also mentioned MGSHD (separated from Jap PW PS3 in Japan) and ZOEHD will use the 2nd version of transfarring : Vita vs PS3.

So since they don't announced transfarring 2.0 for PW, I doubt they ever release PW Vita version. BTW if you still didn't noticed it, you can buy PSP games in Vita's PSN store including PW.

StuBurns

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Transfarring is a really stupid word, and I hate it.

That's my contribution to the carnival of garbage.
You Sir are mistaken, it is an ingenious amalgamation of trans, to move, far, a distance, and ring, signifying this circle of moving saves Kojima-sama has designed.

You might think it's some moronic marketing now Kojima has learnt to copy and paste a save file, but you'd be wrong.

M-PG71C

Not counting some future titles, most of what I want on the Vita...I can buy on the PS3. FFX HD is nice, and would be a KILLER APP if it was "Vita only". It's not, I can get it on PS3.

Same with ZOE and MGS HD, I can buy those on the PS3 as well. Everything else I'm just not interested in. I don't give a fuck about Uncharted, never did. Wipeout is pretty nice, something I'll get later on. Everything else, I can take it or leave it.

That's not to say 2012 won't be better. I can think of two games off the bat that will get me to buy a Vita: Ys IV Remake and Lumines.

I'll buy a Vita, but it won't be at launch. Period. Most of what I could get for it, I can easily get on my PS3. Same exact versions and everything. I'll wait for more original content.

The Vita will be a great system, like the PSP before it. But I don't see it beating the 3DS out at all. I will say for certain, both portables will not do as well as their predecessors.

Brofist

Divvy said:
I find iOS and android games to be akin to a bag of chips, fun to snack on, but you still need a full meal later on. It's also too bad that touch screen only means a lot of games control like dogshit still.
Exactly. Except for me the full meal is playing PC games at max setting and 60fps on my HDTV. So iPhone games are enough for me as a portable.

SmokyDave

kpop100 said:
Exactly. Except for me the full meal is playing PC games at max setting and 60fps on my HDTV. So iPhone games are enough for me as a portable.
Same here. I have some bigger iOS games like Aralon HD and Chaos Rings, but I've barely scratched the surface of them because that's not the type of gaming I do on the go. If I've time to sink into a 'deep' game, I'm doing it properly: PC, big screen, sweet surround sound.

SmokyDave

DidntKnowJack said:
Vita has Wipeout. To me that trumps everything else.
Only if I can play Zen mode with a custom soundtrack.

I wish they'd announce a Motorstorm for Vita. I love the PSP version, possibly more than GT: PSP.

Since getting an iPhone in May I became a huge fan/supporter of mobile/iOS gaming, I'm also extremely excited to get a Vita, day 1 at that. The 3Ds is a joke to me at this point, I won't buy it until the Lite version drops and it's no more then $150.

Izayoi

Banned
Ken Masters said:
Since getting an iPhone in May I became a huge fan/supporter of mobile/iOS gaming, I'm also extremely excited to get a Vita, day 1 at that. The 3Ds is a joke to me at this point, I won't buy it until the Lite version drops and it's no more then $150.
Why is it a joke? Do you buy handhelds based solely on raw power?

popeutlal

Don't see myself buying 3DS or Vita...software is just too expensive for portable gaming.

Can't believe Nintendo is selling $40 N64 ports...both OOT and SF64 should've been on one cart for $40. They didn't even include online play in SF64...thats just too lazy.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
So is MH4 even exclusive? There was no only on 3DS or anything like that from what I've seen.

The general consensus is that it may go to Vita, but is at least a timed exclusive.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear gaf's opinion on this: with people saying that both devices are doomed and smartphone gaming will win, how serious do you expect it to be? And to quantify that, do you think either system will pull a dreamcast and go out of production after a couple years? Because unless that happens, I don't see either company in any real danger.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
The general consensus is that it may go to Vita, but is at least a timed exclusive.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear gaf's opinion on this: with people saying that both devices are doomed and smartphone gaming will win, how serious do you expect it to be? And to quantify that, do you think either system will pull a dreamcast and go out of production after a couple years? Because unless that happens, I don't see either company in any real danger.

I don't see it happening. They'll always be a market for dedicated handhelds. There's a subset of users that won't settle for a phone or tablet.

Will it be knocked down to only one dedicated device? Possibly.

Kyoufu

So basically Vita has the most purchase worthy games for a launch/launch window in the history of all times.

Looks like I'll have to buy 2 x 32GB sticks to digitally download everything I want :(

Oh and Vita also has an insane amount of RPGs for it.

Magic Ovaries said:
Can't believe Nintendo is selling $40 N64 ports...both OOT and SF64 should've been on one cart for $40. They didn't even include online play in SF64...thats just too lazy.

If they were ports, yes, $40 would be too much to ask, as they go for $10 a pop on the Virtual Console.

But if you believe they're ports...well you obviously don't know very much about 'em.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
M-PG71C said:
Not counting some future titles, most of what I want on the Vita...I can buy on the PS3. FFX HD is nice, and would be a KILLER APP if it was "Vita only". It's not, I can get it on PS3.

Same with ZOE and MGS HD, I can buy those on the PS3 as well. Everything else I'm just not interested in. I don't give a fuck about Uncharted, never did. Wipeout is pretty nice, something I'll get later on. Everything else, I can take it or leave it.

That's not to say 2012 won't be better. I can think of two games off the bat that will get me to buy a Vita: Ys IV Remake and Lumines.

I'll buy a Vita, but it won't be at launch. Period. Most of what I could get for it, I can easily get on my PS3. Same exact versions and everything. I'll wait for more original content.

The Vita will be a great system, like the PSP before it. But I don't see it beating the 3DS out at all. I will say for certain, both portables will not do as well as their predecessors.
Thats just the thing, I illustrated in my post. Vita can do pretty close to what PS3 does. but... ON THE GO. Such a beautiful thing.

I don't have to be stuck in my room, I don't have to be stuck in my house. Hell, I don't even have to be stuck in my state.

PS3 can't do that. If you don't plan on playing your vita (when you get one), outside of your house. Then yes, there is no point.

mclem

Pachterballs said:
RACE TO THE BOTTOM PRICING IS GOOD FOR CONSUMERS. I don't play game companies.

"Getting things cheaper" is not automatically good for consumers, if the things you want *cannot* exist any cheaper. I'd rather buy a $30 game that exists than a $1 one which doesn't.

I'm a minority there. A minority willing to pay a premium for what I want, rather than settle for what's available at the 'accepted' pricepoint. A lot of people's fear about iOS is that the race-to-the-bottom philosophy will take away the premium products we desire.

Whether that's a market that *deserves* to be protected is a good question. Of course, I'd say yes, but I'm massively biased on the issue!

That said, I think there is scope for making savings in development to reduce the risk involved, which aren't - yet - being undertaken by games companies, but those savings aren't going to plummet the price quite so low.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mclem said:
"Getting things cheaper" is not automatically good for consumers, if the things you want *cannot* exist any cheaper. I'd rather buy a $30 game that exists than a $1 one which doesn't.

I'm a minority there. A minority willing to pay a premium for what I want, rather than settle for what's available at the 'accepted' pricepoint. A lot of people's fear about iOS is that the race-to-the-bottom philosophy will take away the premium products we desire.

Whether that's a market that *deserves* to be protected is a good question. Of course, I'd say yes, but I'm massively biased on the issue!

That said, I think there is scope for making savings in development to reduce the risk involved, which aren't - yet - being undertaken by games companies, but those savings aren't going to plummet the price quite so low.
I'm with you 100%. I'm absolutely willing to pay a premium for content and hardware that I want. The types of games I prefer simply could not exist at a price point below $10.

Highlaw

Banned
I love the fact that Vita has so many PS3 ports since I don't own a PS3.
Didn't have a ps2 either (played it a lot over my friends, but still). So games like Persona 4 Golden and some HD remakes will be new experiences for me (I did play through MGS1&2, but it was a long time ago - I'm torn between getting the HD collection for the 360 or PSV)

Still, I might not get a Vita on launch, until it gets a MHgame (MHP3 port will do). Same for the 3DS, it has some games I like but nothing that would push me over the fence - played through OOT and tried a couple of other games, wasn't impressed. I will wait until it gets MH3G (end of 2012 hopefully), the new Etrian Odyssey and perhaps a phantasy star game

Gravijah

Highlaw said:
I love the fact that Vita has so many PS3 ports since I don't own a PS3.
Didn't have a ps2 either (played it a lot over my friends, but still). So games like Persona 4 Golden and some HD remakes will be new experiences for me (I did play through MGS1&2, but it was a long time ago - I'm torn between getting the HD collection for the 360 or PSV)

Still, I might not get a Vita on launch, until it gets a MHgame (MHP3 port will do). Same for the 3DS, it has some games I like but nothing that would push me over the fence - played through OOT and tried a couple of other games, wasn't impressed. I will wait until it gets MH3G (end of 2012 hopefully), the new Etrian Odyssey and perhaps a phantasy star game

what in the hell how can a game never have owned a ps2! this is madness!

Highlaw

Banned
Gravijah said:
what in the hell how can a game never have owned a ps2! this is madness!
I had to choose between a ps2 and this
rc-regenerator.jpg

I picked a gamecube over the ps2 also, and a xbox just for halo2 afterwards.

...ayup

Bad_Boy said:
yeah dude, you need to go buy a ps2. they are dirt cheap now.

introduce yourself to happiness.
I spent most of my time over my friends house and we played a lot of ps2 & xbox back in the day. Like I said I finished MGS1&2 and some other ps2 classics, didn't miss much :p

i was close to getting the vita, but im actually going to pass on both for the time being...

i love my tablet and have come to find the bite-sized gaming pretty convenient. yes ive fallen victim

as far as "real" games...im gonna grab a psp 3000, throw 32gb in it, and call it a day

SmokyDave

mclem said:

I share your fear. I really enjoy iOS gaming and I'd be happy to pay a higher price for my iOS games. It really worries me when I see good titles going free for a week, it's not a good recipe for long term happiness. It's not helping with the perceptions of the games themselves either, some people see a pricetag below £5 and immediately assume the games must be shit.

painful fart said:
Our family already has 4 ds and 1 psp, so you know where I am coming from. Though one kid is really stuck in the pokemon universe, but everyone else have been fighting for the Tab 10.1 over the past two months.

Of course, it's new. I have a 3DS and the 6 year old loved it, now he's playing PvZ on the iPhone I gave his mom and won't even look at the 3DS. Then I rooted her Nook Color and he loved Angry Birds. Then I got the NES Ambassador games and he wants to play Mario and Zelda now.

Kids aren't a good judge to be honest. We buy him $100 worth of toys for Christmas and he plays with the cardboard from the wrapping paper all morning.

For a month or so he loved NeoPets on the PC with their flash games.

AbsoluteZero said:
I don't see it happening. They'll always be a market for dedicated handhelds. There's a subset of users that won't settle for a phone or tablet.

Will it be knocked down to only one dedicated device? Possibly.

*raises hand*

Tablets are great for many reasons, and have a huge variety of uses....but as a gamer, I want a device that's made for gaming first and foremost. I agree though that this may be the last generation to support two dedicated gaming handhelds.

Top Bottom