• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

anyone think there is a small chance for a Majoras Mask 3ds game...?
In 2011 Aonuma said this.
“We are already preparing a new game, a game in the series for the Nintendo 3DS, but don’t think that it is a direct sequel to the Zelda titles released on DS. We are talking about a new game, but it takes much of what has been done on previous handhelds.”

So, does this news rule out Majora’s Mask for 3DS? Absolutely not. In fact, Aonuma revealed that he’s spoken to Miyamoto about the idea, though Nintendo has decided to make a completely original game because it didn’t seem right releasing two remakes so quickly.

“It’s something I’m asked about often and I assure you that it is something I’ve spoken to Miyamoto about. But recently we released The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D as a remake. We are considering the idea, but it didn’t seem right to launch a remake one after another, so the next Zelda game on 3DS will be original

Just a few weeks ago Miyamoto said this at E3
"We haven't quite decided yet, whether we're going to do A Link to the Past, because there's also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora's Mask," Shigeru Miyamoto told IGN during E3.

braves01

Banned
Just ordered the blue pouch. I hope it fits as well as you all say, because the xl just seems too damn big sitting here in front of me.

Anyways, after about a week I still really love this thing. No warm screen issue, minimal hinge wobble compared to my og, and no dead/stuck pixels that I've noticed.

taoofjord

No, sorry. I've only ever heard good things about the DSiXL screen though, never any complaints of washed out colors or anything. I'm sure someone else on GAF would be able to compare for you, though.

Well, in my crazy obsession to play Chrono Trigger DS in the best way possible I ended up grabbing a dsi xl. The colors are far more vivid, and the image much brighter (than the 3Ds XL). So much so that I think it's not ridiculous to keep the dsi/dsi xl for DS games and use the 3DS for 3DS games only.

So, if anyone else cares about that sort of thing you may want to try playing a DS game on a 3DS first and then decide on whether you want to trade that dsi in.

zroid

Banned
Just ordered the blue pouch. I hope it fits as well as you all say, because the xl just seems too damn big sitting here in front of me.

Uxp4hl.jpg

Mine's in there ;P

But I normally use it for the Vita sitting back there, never really felt that the clamshelled 3DS needed a case :eek:

Well, in my crazy obsession to play Chrono Trigger DS in the best way possible I ended up grabbing a dsi xl. The colors are far more vivid, and the image much brighter (than the 3Ds XL). So much so that I think it's not ridiculous to keep the dsi/dsi xl for DS games and use the 3DS for 3DS games only.

So, if anyone else cares about that sort of thing you may want to try playing a DS game on a 3DS first and then decide on whether you want to trade that dsi in.

The colors aren't washed out on the 3DS XL in 1:1 mode. There's no way I'm keeping two variants of the DS any longer when one does the trick. If the DS game looks bad on the 3DS XL stretched, I merely go 1:1 and then I get essentially the same thing a DSi user sees, without needing to buy another DS. If you must play every game on a screen the size of an XL, then I get why you'd want both, but personally I'm fine switching between stretched and 1:1 as need be.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The colors aren't washed out on the 3DS XL in 1:1 mode. There's no way I'm keeping two variants of the DS any longer when one does the trick. If the DS game looks bad on the 3DS XL stretched, I merely go 1:1 and then I get essentially the same thing a DSi user sees, without needing to buy another DS. If you must play every game on a screen the size of an XL, then I get why you'd want both, but personally I'm fine switching between stretched and 1:1 as need be.

Uh, DS games definitely look better on a DSi compared to a 3DS. No questions. Nintendo supposedly fixed the washed-out issue but it's still there even in 1:1.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I understand. When I carry the 3DS out, I generally keep it in my pocket (by itself), so it's relatively protected.

I take it with me mostly everywhere and I don't always have a bag, so I'm used to it.

neoism

Anyways, after about a week I still really love this thing. No warm screen issue, minimal hinge wobble compared to my og, and no dead/stuck pixels that I've noticed.

its made for the dsxl which is a little big bigger than the 3dsxl

neoism

goddamn just got a new blue Reversible Pouch since I have an old red one...so is their no deals with this anymore I think I screwed up.... But I guess if I can still get at least 80 from stupidstop... I can just get it on newegg...

Damn you Nintendo I swear they been doing this fo years... take my money. :(

This has thought me something thou, I'm never goona buy any console at launch every again... :(

Well, I can now join the club and confirm that Nintendo has in fact not fixed the 3DS' screen-scratching issue. I went out yesterday with my XL in my rear jean pocket (didn't sit down on it, of course) and while it was snug, it wasn't tight. Sure enough, though, when I got home, I had small smudges/scratches on the top right corner of the top screen, right where my OG 3DS started scratching early on. Note that this did not on the days I carried my XL in my cargo shorts side pocket, where there was no pressure applied to it.

Thankfully I have screen protectors installed, but yeah, this is a disappointment. You'd think Nintendo would have actually fixed this. Oh well... the system is still fantastic.

Uh, DS games definitely look better on a DSi compared to a 3DS. No questions. Nintendo supposedly fixed the washed-out issue but it's still there even in 1:1.

There's absolutely nothing washed out about my DS games on the XL in 1:1 mode. I wonder if people are thinking that's the case simply because the XL's screens are far warmer than the DSi's, which tends to be much cooler/bluer.

Well, I can now join the club and confirm that Nintendo has in fact not fixed the 3DS' screen-scratching issue. I went out yesterday with my XL in my rear jean pocket (didn't sit down on it, of course) and while it was snug, it wasn't tight. Sure enough, though, when I got home, I had small smudges/scratches on the top right corner of the top screen, right where my OG 3DS started scratching early on. Note that this did not on the days I carried my XL in my cargo shorts side pocket, where there was no pressure applied to it.

That's unfortunate, but hardly surprising when you look at the little nubs on top of the XL's screens. There's not enough there to solve the problem if pressure is applied in the middle, which can happen in a pocket. I guess it's just something we have to live with.

plc268

Geez the paint on this thing must be soft. I already have a scratch on the back of the unit. I've practically babied it so far too, it hasn't even left my desk.

Not a huge deal, but still, what the hell?

urfe

How's everyone's screen wobble?

Mine's a lot better on my XL than my original, but it's still there. The fact that it wobbles a little bit on both hinges (as opposed to just one) feels a lot better too, but it's natural for it to be there. I think if I was playing Theatrhythm (which I sold) it would get into a wobbling rhythm still.

Also, who uses the first open position on the XL? What games are people playing with it on their table? I hate always having it crack past that position.

Mine's a lot better on my XL than my original, but it's still there. The fact that it wobbles a little bit on both hinges (as opposed to just one) feels a lot better too, but it's natural for it to be there. I think if I was playing Theatrhythm (which I sold) it would get into a wobbling rhythm still.

Also, who uses the first open position on the XL? What games are people playing with it on their table? I hate always having it crack past that position.

Yeah, both mine wobble, but I think it's unavoidable now after all the issues Nintendo had with their defective hinges on the DS Lite. Better safe than sorry.

Drago

It's wobbly, but it's better than the OG, definitely. Could be tighter

I use the first position sometimes, when I'm bored :p Don't get the point of it though

Downhome

There was a $10 one at Gamestop that looked kinda okay. It also came with a car charger. I can't seem to find in on their website. Maybe it was the DsiXL one and I was tripping?

That is what I got, and yes, it is the DSiXL case. It rings up at $6.99...

pxgtG.jpg

jgknw.jpg

I just spent a few hours with my brother's blue 3DS XL. While I'm still waiting for white, blue looks nice in person. It has a pleasing, metallic sheen that doesn't come across at all in any still images; if the red has this quality, I bet it looks decent as well. Aesthetically, the system demonstrates an expert use of cheaper materials. I suspect it won't hold up very well without watchful care but today, it looks and feels splendid.

The 3D effect is superior - I felt like I could peer in forever in Xevious - but very unstable. The annoyance is minimized by the way that I would use the 3DS XL but I'm almost certain that this is a step back from the original system. It's possible that the better 3D effect comes with a stronger reaction when the image degrades but either way, the feeling is more jarring than before.

In general, the system is far more usable. The three buttons below the bottom screen are much more tactile though I still find the placement inconvenient. The location of the stylus is a tremendous change for the better; the old placement was such a nuisance that I elected to use my finger almost every time I needed to use the touchscreen. The size of the main screen is mesmerizing; the decline in PPI is obvious but not bothersome to me at all. Every game will benefit hands down from the size.

There are still some shortcomings but that it's a wonderful upgrade is immediately obvious; the 3DS newcomers are especially in for a treat.

One thing I hate about the open-yet-closed design is that dust gets inside really easily. I've never had to clean screens on a DS as much as I do with the XL.

And for anyone else with a regular Nintendo 3DS official carrying case, the XL fits inside it well. Just not inside the pocket its designed to go into, but it still protects it nicely and holds some games.

urfe

I probably worry too much, but having games in my original 3DS carrying case was the reason I got smudges on my 3DS: the games in the case pushed the screens together leaving marks.

For this reason, I'm hesitant on putting games in my XL case. I can carry around my XL now without having any scratches on it, and don't want that feeling to leave me.

Alex

Looks basically the same to me, you're really, really, really nitpicking at the point where you try to say the 3DS XL in 1:1 is washed out compared to a DSi.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
After spending hours upon hours of playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time on my 3DS, I have come to the conclusion that it's a great game overall, but has aged poorly in some aspects. This is pretty much my first play through of the game. I don't see what people create a fuss about when it comes to the water temple, it was fairly simple. I do know that in the original for the N64 you had to go through the menu each time to turn your iron boots on and off, I can see the annoyance in that, but the dungeon was not hard at all; I actually liked it.

I now find myself stuck in the Shadow Temple, I've beaten the whole thing, get to the boss, and can't kill the stupid Bongo Bongo hand shit with the shadow eye... it's really frustrating and annoying. At this point, yes, I do realize the marvel and amazing creativity behind this game for the time in which it came out in; it set the trend for every game after it, but the fact that I have to traverse through the whole dungeon each time I get killed by the boss to try it all over again is very off-putting.

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are better games. So while it's a marvel for its time, it isn't all that to me... The story and concepts have aged decently, but some of the mechanics seriously piss me off and have not aged well at all.

As someone who believes that DS games look much better on DSi XL than on 3DS XL, I will say that 1:1 mode on the 3DS XL does not look washed-out from what I've experienced.

urfe

After spending hours upon hours of playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time on my 3DS, I have come to the conclusion that it's a great game overall, but has aged poorly in some aspects. This is pretty much my first play through of the game. I don't see what people create a fuss about when it comes to the water temple, it was fairly simple. I do know that in the original for the N64 you had to go through the menu each time to turn your iron boots on and off, I can see the annoyance in that, but the dungeon was not hard at all; I actually liked it.

I now find myself stuck in the Shadow Temple, I've beaten the whole thing, get to the boss, and can't kill the stupid Bongo Bongo hand shit with the shadow eye... it's really frustrating and annoying. At this point, yes, I do realize the marvel and amazing creativity behind this game for the time in which it came out in; it set the trend for every game after it, but the fact that I have to traverse through the whole dungeon each time I get killed by the boss to try it all over again is very off-putting.

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are better games. So while it's a marvel for its time, it isn't all that to me... The story and concepts have aged decently, but some of the mechanics seriously piss me off and have not aged well at all.

Is the only thing that pisses you off starting at the beginning of a dungeon?

I'm almost at the Water Temple in it, and it's my first play through. I loved it, but temporarily stopped. Playing Link's Awakening right now, which I think is one of the best Zelda games (perhaps only Zelda 2 I like better).

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Is the only thing that pisses you off starting at the beginning of a dungeon?

I'm almost at the Water Temple in it, and it's my first play through. I loved it, but temporarily stopped. Playing Link's Awakening right now, which I think is one of the best Zelda games (perhaps only Zelda 2 I like better).

Not entirely, the game just feels clunky. I would welcome better physics.

leng jai

I didn't realise this thing is set at maximum brightness out of the box. While it's fine for my tastes I have to agree with people that it is slightly dim considering it's at max.

Not entirely, the game just feels clunky. I would welcome better physics.

It's a classic because it was one of the first of its kind, and the best game at that time. But yeah, it hasn't really aged well. You're playing the definitive version, though, since it has improved graphics and a great framerate. Some of the worst 3D I've seen in a 3DS game, though.

Drago

So, using the little pads on the bottom of the original 3DS cradle, I have made this to fully protect the XL from any future scratches:

Makes the top pop up a little bit, but it's not too bad. No scratches yet, but this was easy to do and I'd rather be safe than sorry :)

Drago

Not a fan of the pop up. Did anyone else save the foam from their OG 3DS like me? That should still work.
Apparently that doesn't help much and it makes it easier for smudges to appear from what I've heard (at least on the OG 3DS it does nothing to help but I think it's the same for XL)

I really wish the unit wasn't so open :/

urfe

Apparently that doesn't help much and it makes it easier for smudges to appear from what I've heard (at least on the OG 3DS it does nothing to help but I think it's the same for XL)

It makes smudges appear easier, and scratches impossible to appear on the OG 3DS.

A trade off I thought was worth it.

leng jai

How can it not help the scratching though?

I waiting for the Hori soft pouch...to be released.... I hope we will get them soon...

Me too. I pre-ordered mine a couple days ago after visiting various stores and not finding a single DSi XL pouch that I liked enough to get for my 3DS XL.

I wish we didn't have to wait until September 4th for the HORI case to ship, but it is what it is. It looks really nice in the screenshots, so I'm confident that it'll end up being worth the wait.

You could use Farore's Wind to create a teleport point right before Bongo Bongo. I'll admit he's tough, you have to be quick with the bow to take out his hands, and using gyro controls is probably not ideal. If you stand on the edge of the drum, it barely affects you.

Drago

How can it not help the scratching though?

It makes smudges appear easier, and scratches impossible to appear on the OG 3DS.

A trade off I thought was worth it.
Hm, I swear I had heard that it still led to scratching eventually. I guess I heard wrong? :p

Still, I prefer not having to put a cleaning cloth in all the time, so the extra padding thing is worth it for me. Could make dust a tad easier to gather, but meh. It'll be in a pouch or a pocket most of the time anyways

MoxManiac

There were other changes to the water temple that made it considerably less tedious then the original.

I was pretty excited for the 3D classics and some of the downloads but I'm just sticking to cardtriges. There's no way I'm going to pay big bucks for bite-sized downloadable titles.

Pushmo, Mutant Mudds, Order Up, Mighty Switch Force and Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword are all must buy games ^_^

Glix

Also, OoT's horse riding is total ass :/ The game definitely hasn't aged too well

You smoking crack? I played the game when it came out for 3DS for the first time in ages, and I loved every second of it. I thought it looked and played fantastic. Sure, it had some quirks, but every game has quirks.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
You could use Farore's Wind to create a teleport point right before Bongo Bongo. I'll admit he's tough, you have to be quick with the bow to take out his hands, and using gyro controls is probably not ideal. If you stand on the edge of the drum, it barely affects you.

Why am I such an idiot??? Maybe I'll pick it back up now. I got so annoyed... LOL

taoofjord

There's absolutely nothing washed out about my DS games on the XL in 1:1 mode. I wonder if people are thinking that's the case simply because the XL's screens are far warmer than the DSi's, which tends to be much cooler/bluer.

That's unfortunate, but hardly surprising when you look at the little nubs on top of the XL's screens. There's not enough there to solve the problem if pressure is applied in the middle, which can happen in a pocket. I guess it's just something we have to live with.

Nope, the 3DS XL screen is cooler than the dsi xl screen. At least with mine. The saturation in 1:1 and scaled is the same on my 3DS XL as well. Both are muted and give a darker image than the DSi XL. I will take pictures when I get a chance... though I'm not sure it will show this properly. But, again, with mine the difference is plain.

kunonabi

Also, OoT's horse riding is total ass :/ The game definitely hasn't aged too well

I didn't like it when it was released and I like it even less now that I've gone back and played the 3DS version. Water temple is much better now. Having to constantly change the water level with the ocarina is still irritating though. I don't know they couldn't just be switches instead of playing the ocarina every damn time.

Alex

You smoking crack? I played the game when it came out for 3DS for the first time in ages, and I loved every second of it. I thought it looked and played fantastic. Sure, it had some quirks, but every game has quirks.

I think of OoT the same I think of GTA 3.

The actual mechanics have aged fine, and it still flows well and is fun to play on a base level in that nothing feels off or really janky but the lack of reiteration, fleshing out and frills make it a little boring at times for me. OoT's same formula has been polished to a mirror like shine over the course of almost 15 years, so it's just a little harder to go back to the vanilla, for me.

I hope they re-do Majora's Mask, someday, I know they were considering it, it'd be a great pick for my tastes. That's the one I really want an excuse to replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom