• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn man, that sucks. I have a few dead pixels on mine, but they only show up when 3D is enabled. At this point (as stated before) I am just waiting for a new color so I can swap.

BearChair

So I haven't technically bought a 3DS XL yet, but I am very, very close. Especially if the rumors of a black bundle with Mario Kart turns out to be true.

I have one question, though. I still love my DS, and am still buying games for it (just got Dragon Quest VI and Radiant Historia over the weekend).

How bad is the the 3DS XL's DS emulation in pixel-for-pixel mode and in enlarged mode? Part of the point of getting an XL is the larger screen for playing DS games on. Are the screens significantly larger in DS mode than what a standard DS would be?

Have there been any reliability issues with the 3DS XL? I am slightly concerned with some of the stuff said on the last Giant Bombcast about the account stuff. I am mostly buying the XL to play while my wife is watching TV, when traveling or to play in bed. So it is unlikely that it will ever get stolen, but I have looked at the eShop and would really like to pick up some of the Gameboy games that I missed (Wiley Wars, Zelda DX). I don't want to invest in Nintendo's ecosystem, if this thing is likely to break.

Sorry for all of the questions, I tend to invest way too much time in researching purchases.

I am really looking forward to Etrian Odyssey 4, and I am hoping Atlus brings Soul Hackers and SMTIV to the US.

Drago

According to a gamefaqs poster, All Black 3DS XL bundle w/ Mario Kart coming on Dec. 7th? (NA)

Not a 100% confirmed source obviously. But this would align with the one year anniversary of MK7 and Europe is getting an all white bundle with the game as well.

As long as it isn't white then I ain't mad about it.

If NoA ever releases a White XL I would probably consider selling my blue XL for it. ._.

also

Banned
So I haven't technically bought a 3DS XL yet, but I am very, very close. Especially if the rumors of a black bundle with Mario Kart turns out to be true.

I have one question, though. I still love my DS, and am still buying games for it (just got Dragon Quest VI and Radiant Historia over the weekend).

How bad is the the 3DS XL's DS emulation in pixel-for-pixel mode and in enlarged mode? Part of the point of getting an XL is the larger screen for playing DS games on. Are the screens significantly larger in DS mode than what a standard DS would be?

Have there been any reliability issues with the 3DS XL? I am slightly concerned with some of the stuff said on the last Giant Bombcast about the account stuff. I am mostly buying the XL to play while my wife is watching TV, when traveling or to play in bed. So it is unlikely that it will ever get stolen, but I have looked at the eShop and would really like to pick up some of the Gameboy games that I missed (Wiley Wars, Zelda DX). I don't want to invest in Nintendo's ecosystem, if this thing is likely to break.

Sorry for all of the questions, I tend to invest way too much time in researching purchases.

I am really looking forward to Etrian Odyssey 4, and I am hoping Atlus brings Soul Hackers and SMTIV to the US.
1:1 mode on 3DS XL is basically the same as playing on a DSi. It's not pixelated at all and the higher brightness makes it easier to play during the day, though the screen is still not bright enough to avoid reflections.
Screen sizes when playing NDS games:
Original DS: 76 mm (3,0'')
DS Lite: 79 mm (3,12'')
DSi: 82.6mm (3,25'')
DSi XL: 107mm (4.2″)
Original 3DS:77 mm (3.02'')
Original 3DS, 1:1 DS mode: 61,1mm (2,4'')
3DS XL: 106 mm (4,18'')
3DS XL, 1:1 DS mode: 84,4mm (3,33'')

There have been reports that the top screen scratching issues hasn't been fixed yet, so you may want to invest in a screen protector. There have also been complaints about the speakers being too quiet and of crackle at higher volumes, but this affects every 3DS XL. Personally, I find them adequate but I'm not an audiophile.
In case your 3DS XL breaks, you can send it to Nintendo to have your licenses transferred. It's bothersome but at least you won't lose your purchases.

BearChair

Original DS: 76 mm (3,0'')
DS Lite: 79 mm (3,12'')
DSi: 82.6mm (3,25'')
DSi XL: 107mm (4.2″)
Original 3DS:77 mm (3.02'')
Original 3DS, 1:1 DS mode: 61,1mm (2,4'')
3DS XL: 106 mm (4,18'')
3DS XL, 1:1 DS mode: 84,4mm (3,33'')

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the size of the 3DS XL's screen for DS emulation when not in 1:1 mode?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thanks for the reply. Do you know the size of the 3DS XL's screen for DS emulation when not in 1:1 mode?

When scaling it uses the entire bottom screen and puts black borders on the top screen. So it fills it up, essentially. Also looks pretty bad. But the 1:1 is wonderful.

Salvadora

Amazon UK is saying that the 3DSXL will be released on December 7th, was this known?
LIn3k.jpg
Must resist...

According to a gamefaqs poster, All Black 3DS XL bundle w/ Mario Kart coming on Dec. 7th? (NA)

Not a 100% confirmed source obviously. But this would align with the one year anniversary of MK7 and Europe is getting an all white bundle with the game as well.

Fuuuuuuuck YES! I hope this is true. It'll be even better if Mario Kart is digital.

Wasn't sure where else to ask this as I didn't see a general 3DS thread. I used to own a 3DS and sold it a few months back when I really had no money. I want to go out and get a new one, is there any way I can get the digital content back from my old one? I had some club nintendo stuff and some downloads, I'm going to be using the same club Nintendo account again. Not sure what Nintendo does in this situation.

Carlisle

If MK7 is pre installed, how would that work with system transfer? Can the content of both systems be used or would the game get overwritten?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If MK7 is pre installed, how would that work with system transfer? Can the content of both systems be used or would the game get overwritten?

The receiving system would keep its own content and receive the new content from the other system (which will be wiped).

Is there a solution for transferring a Mario Kart 7 cart save to digital? If I picked up a package like this, the last thing I would want to do is triple star every course again and collect all those cart pieces.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
All black?
Eh, I'll keep the pink/white.

The receiving system would keep its own content and receive the new content from the other system (which will be wiped).

Is there a solution for transferring a Mario Kart 7 cart save to digital? If I picked up a package like this, the last thing I would want to do is triple star every course again and collect all those cart pieces.
There's supposed to be an app to transfer the retail save to digital.
I hope Nintendo did release that but I hadn't heard a peep about it from anyone here.

zychi

Banned
best buy has a new 3ds xl for 179.99 right now. no idea if its been discussed before in this thread. great price for people still on the fence.

e: does the pink 3ds have better battery life than the original releases?

also

Banned
Wasn't sure where else to ask this as I didn't see a general 3DS thread. I used to own a 3DS and sold it a few months back when I really had no money. I want to go out and get a new one, is there any way I can get the digital content back from my old one? I had some club nintendo stuff and some downloads, I'm going to be using the same club Nintendo account again. Not sure what Nintendo does in this situation.

Unless you do a system transfer, for which you would need both your old and your new 3DS, you can't move digital downloads between systems. Since you already sold your old 3DS, you are out of luck.

Ice Mage

Neo Member
There's supposed to be an app to transfer the retail save to digital.
I hope Nintendo did release that but I hadn't heard a peep about it from anyone here.

Nope, it (sadly) doesn't exist yet... I believe it's supposed to be released in 2013?

I'll just keep my MK7 cartridge until the app is launched, I guess...

FLAguy954

So if anyone wants a blue 3DS XL with Metal Gear Solid 3d for a fair price and you live in the Metro Atlanta area, pm me and we'll work something out.

(Need some quick cash, sad to let my 3ds go though :'( )

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bought a Red 3DS XL at SDM today with their point redemption bonus. Wife already had a Blue XL. This will be replacing my Midnight Purple beauty, which is going to my sister in-law for when Animal Crossing arrives. For those counting we own Aqua Blue, Fire Red, Midnight Purple, Blue XL and Red XL.

Looking forward to replaying Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus on my XL.

Persona86

Banned
Bought a Red 3DS XL at SDM today with their point redemption bonus. Wife already had a Blue XL. This will be replacing my Midnight Purple beauty, which is going to my sister in-law for when Animal Crossing arrives. For those counting we own Aqua Blue, Fire Red, Midnight Purple, Blue XL and Red XL.

Looking forward to replaying Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus on my XL.

Which is your favorite?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Which is your favorite?

Comfort wise the XLs are far and away my favourite. I don't dislike (or love) any of the XL colours we have in NA. I would have gone pink if SDM had them in, since I think it matches nicely with the white.

Colour wise, I prefer the Midnight Purple. A lovely dark purple XL would have been great, but since I'm not going to be seeing the colour of the shell for the most part, it matters very little. I hope there's no 3DSi coming at E3, because I could stand to hold off on upgrading to another system for at least a year. :p

Persona86

Banned
Comfort wise the XLs are far and away my favourite. I don't dislike (or love) any of the XL colours we have in NA. I would have gone pink if SDM had them in, since I think it matches nicely with the white.

Colour wise, I prefer the Midnight Purple. A lovely dark purple XL would have been great, but since I'm not going to be seeing the colour of the shell for the most part, it matters very little. I hope there's no 3DSi coming at E3, because I could stand to hold off on upgrading to another system for at least a year. :p

That's great. I would also love a purple XL! I might get the white one we have here in UK, I saw a unboxing video on youtube, it looked nice and sleek.

What's your favourite food?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So I'm going to finally take the plunge on 3ds tomorrow with the Mario kart pack. Any places that have a better deal then best buy? ($200 + free $20 gift card?). I don't care if I have to wait a few days for shipping.

randomkid

So I'm going to finally take the plunge on 3ds tomorrow with the Mario kart pack. Any places that have a better deal then best buy? ($200 + free $20 gift card?). I don't care if I have to wait a few days for shipping.

Yeah check cheapassgamer, Toys R Us is offering a $30 gift card. There's also apparently a groupon deal going where you pay $10 for $20 of Toys R Us credit, so that'd be your best possible cheapass combo.

Was thinking about getting on that deal myself until I learned that Mario Kart is pre-installed in the system itself, not even on an SD card where you could sell it.

If Nintendo of America announce a free Super Mario 3D Land with 3DS registration like Europe gets though, that's when I'll finally cave. Freaking NOA, throw us a bone here!

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Was thinking about getting on that deal myself until I learned that Mario Kart is pre-installed in the system itself, not even on an SD card where you could sell it.

Well, it IS pre-installed on the SD card, but you still can't sell it as it is hardware-locked to the 3DS XL it was initially pre-installed on, meaning that even if you were to copy the relevant files to a different SD card and insert it into another 3DS or something, that other 3DS wouldn't recognize the game.

I want to use an existing SD card that I own for my 3DS. What format should it be in for it to work? It's currently being used in a Canon DSLR camera.

Boney

Banned
Finally got my pink xl, did the system transfer and because I'm dumb I tried redownloading stuff from the eshop at first, soon realized that i should just copy de old SD over, did that but my games aren't showing up on the menu.

What's up with that.

edit: deleted everything from the new sd card and transferred again and worked fine

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Finally got my pink xl, did the system transfer and because I'm dumb I tried redownloading stuff from the eshop at first, soon realized that i should just copy de old SD over, did that but my games aren't showing up on the menu.

What's up with that.

edit: deleted everything from the new sd card and transferred again and worked fine
Copy the old SD over?

You were supposed to just put the old SD card into the new machine after the transfer.
I'm doing this today with my new pink XL too.

I just can't get a 3DS XL for fair price.
Only two shops in Israel that I know of got the XL, and both asks for 1500ILS, which is 391$. Ordering from sites like VGP and ShopTo isn't good either, the shipping cost and taxes will raise the price much higher. Also I dont get warranty.
BTW, any black 3DS XL is planned? Also the 3DS XL here is only red/blue

Sleepy

Just bought the Mario Kart bundle today, charging now, but it really looks more "toyish" than the original--probably the plastic. The Circle pad is the biggest offender...screens are HUGE though.

Yes Boss!

Just bought the Mario Kart bundle today, charging now, but it really looks more "toyish" than the original--probably the plastic. The Circle pad is the biggest offender...screens are HUGE though.

You will forget all about its looks once you start getting accustomed to those big-ass screens. Does feel cheaper, though.

Opinions needed, would it be okay to just cut a microfiber cloth to place in between my screen while not in use until I can obtain a good Hori screen protector set? I do not want to deal with the screen scratch again, but I had to get the system today for the sale and all. I'm just curious what others are doing to be safe.

Yka

I just can't get a 3DS XL for fair price.
Only two shops in Israel that I know of got the XL, and both asks for 1500ILS, which is 391$. Ordering from sites like VGP and ShopTo isn't good either, the shipping cost and taxes will raise the price much higher. Also I dont get warranty.
BTW, any black 3DS XL is planned? Also the 3DS XL here is only red/blue

amazon.co.uk

red/blue 3DS XL £154.99 + postage

or

yellow Pikachu limited edition 3DS XL £179.99 + postage

or

white 3DS XL with a Mario game £189.99 + postage

+ you get free game in January if you buy 3DS XL now

Oxx

My impression every time I see an XL is 'Phwoar, that's a huge beast'. And it's pretty heavy too.

Can't say that I agree that it looks cheap, though.

This thing is a work of beauty.

I'm playing Game & Watch Gallery on it in 1:1 dot mode with the green/black screen and it looks glorious.

Now I need to get a screen protector so I can play some Kid Icarus, eeeeep.

evil ways

Just impulse bought a Mario Kart 7 bundle at Best Buy due to the sale. Always wanted to play RE Revelations, Super Mario Land 3D and The World Ends With You, now feels like just as good of a time to jump in. Looking into Kid Icarus as well, maybe even SSF4.

Between this and the Vita I got from Amazon's gold box, I feel like I'm set for the next 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom