• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Stanng243

Thank you! Got it from Target.. totally unneeded and overkill.. but it's a freaking Terminator arm!

Also.. my steelbook Pirates 5 UHD arrived today. I didn't think it came out till next week? Whatever.. I'll take it.

Where did you order pirates from? I'd like to get a copy early myself. At the very least, if they are sending out copies, there will be codes to buy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does it have the correct bonus features disc?

The one I bought at Best Buy didn't, which made me very happy. I'd much rather have the disc with other cuts.

Where did you order pirates from? I'd like to get a copy early myself. At the very least, if they are sending out copies, there will be codes to buy.

Pre-ordered from Best Buy online. I got the StarShip Troopers UHD early too this month.

I wonder with the whole "Digital Available First" nonsense going on, that strict street dates for physical stuff won't be as important.

So I just finished setting up my TCK 55P607 (first 4K TV!) and my Apple TV 4K. I can get HDR to recognize successfully but not Dolby Vision at all. Made sure the TV was on HDMI 2.0 mode, made sure my receiver was sending the “enhanced” signal, and my Apple TV will let me output in 4KHDR but Dolby Vision isn’t an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes my receiver is Dolby Vision compatible as well

So I just finished setting up my TCK 55P607 (first 4K TV!) and my Apple TV 4K. I can get HDR to recognize successfully but not Dolby Vision at all. Made sure the TV was on HDMI 2.0 mode, made sure my receiver was sending the ”enhanced" signal, and my Apple TV will let me output in 4KHDR but Dolby Vision isn't an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes my receiver is Dolby Vision compatible as well

This is a stupid question, but you are using a compatible HDMI cable and not an old spec one right? I would assume so since it saw HDR successfully.

And I don't have the new AppleTV 4K, but is there an option in the menu system to select your HDR output style?

This is a stupid question, but you are using a compatible HDMI cable and not an old spec one right? I would assume so since it saw HDR successfully.

And I don't have the new AppleTV 4K, but is there an option in the menu system to select your HDR output style?

Yes I’m using a new cable, because HDR wouldn’t show otherwise, right?

Yeah, it lets you choose various resolutions and frame rates and color spaces. My TV is definitely Dolby Vision compatible, but it’s not listing it as an option like it should

akrales_170919_1976_0073.jpg

Image from the Verge review

Yes I’m using a new cable, because HDR wouldn’t show otherwise, right?

Yeah, it lets you choose various resolutions and frame rates and color spaces. My TV is definitely Dolby Vision compatible, but it’s not listing it as an option like it should

akrales_170919_1976_0073.jpg

Image from the Verge review

No idea. Do you have any other Dolby Vision capable players to test with?
And while your receiver is DV compatible, is there an option in it to enable it?
I am just spitballing here. I really have no idea, but just trying to figure something out.

No idea. Do you have any other Dolby Vision capable players to test with?
And while your receiver is DV compatible, is there an option in it to enable it?
I am just spitballing here. I really have no idea, but just trying to figure something out.

Okay so I confirmed the TV at least can do and does recognize Dolby Vision as a concept, I downloaded the Netflix app on the TV and it started playing DareDevil in DV

So now I know it’s somewhere between my AppleTV, receiver, and possibly the cables? Time to start digging

No other 4K/HDR players in the house to plug in

Aha! Found it! So my receiver has two outputs which I use going into the same TV, one for movies and one for game consoles. I set the movies output to HDMI 2.0 in the TV settings but forced the games output to 1.4, which apparently caused this issue. I set the second output to auto and my Apple TV immediately prompted me with Dolby vision

Okay so I confirmed the TV at least can do and does recognize Dolby Vision as a concept, I downloaded the Netflix app on the TV and it started playing DareDevil in DV

So now I know it’s somewhere between my AppleTV, receiver, and possibly the cables? Time to start digging

No other 4K/HDR players in the house to plug in

Yup. Gotta dig and find where the fault is.

On a different note, I have been having weird issues with my older Sony receiver today. I've had it about 7 years, but since getting the SNES classic, been having weird issues with most of the sound when not in stereo mode. It is like the Pro Logic Iix decoding or whatever is not working properly and is muting the center channel, so there is no dialogue. Even when using 5.1 sources on my AppleTV it was freaking out. The blu ray player was working perfectly fine though, which is weird.

After setting everything to audio direct sourcing, things are working fine, even the SNES Classic, and can even use DPLIIx like before. I have no idea what went wrong and it was freaking me out.

I have been wanting a new receiver, but can't afford one without using my credit card, and just climbed out of a shitload of debt. Part of me was liking that this gave me an excuse to get a new receiver, but at the same time I can't afford one outright. But things are working fine now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Holy hell Planet Earth 2 is incredible in 4K.

Yea it's outrageous.

Haven't seen the original Blade Runner in years, so I'm looking for a 4k version before I go see the sequel. I know there are a bunch of different versions and cuts of the movie - any recommendations on a 4k version?

The only 4K version of Blade Runner is the Final Cut.

Unless there are some digital-only 4K releases of the other cuts that I'm not aware of.

mm04

The only 4K version of Blade Runner is the Final Cut.

Unless there are some digital-only 4K releases of the other cuts that I'm not aware of.

I was able to get a copy from the local Best Buy. Just have to pick it up. The online prices were ridiculous! Now that the sequel is reviewing so well, it's only increased my excitement to watch this version again and buy 2049 on UHD as well.

Yea it's outrageous.

Haven't seen the original Blade Runner in years, so I'm looking for a 4k version before I go see the sequel. I know there are a bunch of different versions and cuts of the movie - any recommendations on a 4k version?

There's only one 4k version available. The Final Cut, which many people would say is the definitive cut of the film. Enjoy, it's a masterpiece.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amazon fresh has it on sale and available so I signed up for the free trial and it arrives tomorrow! (BR4k)

KevinG

Really want to see Blade Runner. I’ve never seen it, and think my first experience being in 4K on my B6 could be mesmerizing.

Can’t find it anywhere though.

KevinG

my first viewing of blade runner was on betamax and it was still mesmerizing
Haven’t checked yet myself, but I could just rent it in 4K streaming somewhere right? I suspect Vudu. Might be sufficient before I attempt to get a date night with my wife to see 2049.

robotrock

Banned
Haven’t checked yet myself, but I could just rent it in 4K streaming somewhere right? I suspect Vudu. Might be sufficient before I attempt to get a date night with my wife to see 2049.

Yeah it costs like $10 to rent on Vudu 4k, which is on the lower range of prices for UHD vudu streams... I think.

robotrock

Banned
How does this work? I love just streaming but want to use my 4k tv. Is it solid quality?

Is their app on anything?

Found this list on VUDU's forums:
4K Ultra HD playback only
LG 2016 & 2017 UHD 4K TVs
Nvidia Shield TV
Roku 4, Premiere, Premiere+, Ultra (paired with a compatible 4K HDTV)
Roku 4K TVs
Samsung KS, MU and Q-Series 4K TVs
Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player UBD-M9500 *Newly Added*
VIZIO P-Series 4K HDTVs
VIZIO M-Series 4K HDTVs
Xbox One S

4K Ultra HD + Dolby Vision HDR playback
Google Chromecast Ultra
VIZIO Reference Series HDTVs
VIZIO 2016 Smartcast P-Series 4K TVs
VIZIO 2016 Smartcast M-Series 4K TVs
LG 2016 & 2017 Super UHD 4K TVs
LG 2016 OLED 4K TVs - G6, E6, C6 & B6 Models
LG 2017 OLED 4K TVs ? W7, G7, E7 C7 and B7 Models

I personally use my Xbox One S and I think Vudu UHD looks really good. Huge step up from their HDX streams at least. I think it looks considerably better than my 1080p blurays as well though but I'm sure someone is going to come in here quick and yell about bitrates.

Westonian

I personally use my Xbox One S and I think Vudu UHD looks really good. Huge step up from their HDX streams at least. I think it looks considerably better than my 1080p blurays as well though but I'm sure someone is going to come in here quick and yell about bitrates.

I mean, that is an opinion. It's wrong, especially during any fast action sequences. But you're entitled to that opinion.

robotrock

Banned
I mean, that is an opinion. It's wrong, especially during any fast action sequences. But you're entitled to that opinion.

Oh wow, my post was my opinion? The post one where I put "I think" in front of my thoughts? Huh. Thanks for letting me know dude, didn't realize.

Maybe here is the more appropriate thread to ask again: Have a question about HDMI. If I put the Input to the enhanced format, and all sources come from the AVR 1080i, 1080p, 4k, HDR etc. is there any downside of this?

If not, why aren't all HDMI inputs on enhanced by default.

Do you with an AVR have now more cables connected to the TV? Separate for 4k media?

Peru

Why should I spend more on the DMP-UB900 vs the UB700? I see some features are different but purely in terms of picture quality...?

Stinkles

Amazon fresh brung me a 4K Blade Runner a SNES Mini and some rice snacks. Thank you Amazon fresh for having random ass stock versus Amazon Pro.

So my Samsung uhd player randomly started sounding like a fighter jet and has an awful clicking when playing a movie. Anyone else have a similar issue?

aravuus

Bought a Samsung UBD-K8500 to watch the Blade Runner 4k cut I just ordered earlier today. Absolutely no idea if this is supposed to be a good or bad player, but it was less than 200 euros and it came with three solid 4k BD movies so I figured what the hell. Watched a couple of minutes of Revenant (one of the discs that came with the machine) and it did look very good.

Pretty excited to check out Blade Runner in 4k soon, hopefully before I see the new movie.

empyrean

With this blade runner talk hope you don’t mind if I ask that having only seen the final cut if it’s worth getting the regular version which I believe has the voice over?

Stinkles

With this blade runner talk hope you don't mind if I ask that having only seen the final cut if it's worth getting the regular version which I believe has the voice over?

I strongly suggest watching the original first. It's a fantastic movie, and a product of its time. Ford's voice over is cheesy, but noir cheesy and it works for the film. Then you'll enjoy the subtlety and nuance of the Final Cut.

It's not like Kingdom of Heaven where the theatrical version "sucks" (relatively). Both versions have their own identity and both are great.

NOTES ON 4K MASTER:

Absolutely no doubt that the HDR is the best bang for the buck here. In terms of resolution, the 1080p version captures distinct film grain and looks immaculate. Switching between 4k HDR and 1080p in a side by side, I realized that the resolution update was minimal compared to the color update. YMMV but that was my impression. I think overpaying for this one if you already have the box set is not a fantastic investment, and you may as well wait for it to come back into regular stock (or grab on sale from Amazon fresh like I did...)

Trago

With this blade runner talk hope you don’t mind if I ask that having only seen the final cut if it’s worth getting the regular version which I believe has the voice over?

You can see it just so see it. Some of the Harrison Ford voice over is hilariously bad, but sometimes maybe fits the noire tone in my opinion. It's worth seeing at least once.

And hey, that version doesn't have the Deckard/Replicant shit in it!

OSHAN

Unless you are a super BR fan, I don't see a reason to go out and purchase the theatrical cut.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I strongly suggest watching the original first. It's a fantastic movie, and a product of its time. Ford's voice over is cheesy, but noir cheesy and it works for the film. Then you'll enjoy the subtlety and nuance of the Final Cut.

It's not like Kingdom of Heaven where the theatrical version "sucks" (relatively). Both versions have their own identity and both are great.

NOTES ON 4K MASTER:

Absolutely no doubt that the HDR is the best bang for the buck here. In terms of resolution, the 1080p version captures distinct film grain and looks immaculate. Switching between 4k HDR and 1080p in a side by side, I realized that the resolution update was minimal compared to the color update. YMMV but that was my impression. I think overpaying for this one if you already have the box set is not a fantastic investment, and you may as well wait for it to come back into regular stock (or grab on sale from Amazon fresh like I did...)

higher bitrate is good, but yeah, a ton of the benefit of UHD is HDR/Dolby Vision. The resolution is nice, but the color upgrades and timing are huge.

Realyst

NOTES ON 4K MASTER:

Does the film grain in certain scenes (like Deckard’s apartment with the photo) seem a lot heavier to you when compared to the 1080p version? The 4K HDR version looks great overall (I have the UHD disc), but scenes like this make parts of the transfer seem worse than the box set blu-ray, to me at least.

Stinkles

Does the film grain in certain scenes (like Deckard’s apartment with the photo) seem a lot heavier to you when compared to the 1080p version? The 4K HDR version looks great overall (I have the UHD disc), but scenes like this make parts of the transfer seem worse than the box set blu-ray, to me at least.

I found it distracting in the Leon interview and the piano-apartment scenes, but otherwise just finer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
wish iTunes would let you view bitrates.. I was looking at my Google WiFi while watching Bram Stoker's Dracula and the Apple TV 4K was consuming anywhere between 25Mbps and 66Mbps.. wondering what the actual bitrate is.

Stinkles

wish iTunes would let you view bitrates.. I was looking at my Google WiFi while watching Bram Stoker's Dracula and the Apple TV 4K was consuming anywhere between 25Mbps and 66Mbps.. wondering what the actual bitrate is.

The BiteRate is just two. Mina Harker and Lucy Westenra.

Top Bottom