• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Dave_6

Oh you really missed the good stuff then (visuals of Transformers TLK) Movie drags but the real spectacle is in the latter half.

I see this mentioned alot. Since I just got my equipment, I'm still feeling my way through services for 4k content. Is there a dedicated 4k section on YouTube? And what about HDR on YT as well?

HDR on YT does not work on the LG app. Think Chromecast is the only way it will work.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
So, the Sony X800 or the Panasonic Ub900? What say you, Gaf.

Is there really a difference in picture quality?

Westonian

So, the Sony X800 or the Panasonic Ub900? What say you, Gaf.

Is there really a difference in picture quality?

In 4K native: not really.

Upscaling 1080p Blu-ray to 4K: The Panasonic is much better than the Sony. In fact, it's even better than the Oppo, which was unexpected for me. (I still love my Oppo though.)

Smokey

I'm guessing comparatively the LG UP970 isn't as good as the Sony, Panasonic? Leaving Oppo out due to the price. It was the cheapest and had Dolby Vision, although they've yanked that update, but it was the main reason I went with it.

Westonian

I'm guessing comparatively the LG UP970 isn't as good as the Sony, Panasonic? Leaving Oppo out due to the price. It was the cheapest and had Dolby Vision, although they've yanked that update, but it was the main reason I went with it.

I would leave the Panasonic out too, as it's actually more expensive than the Oppo.

The Sony is a great player for the price, but I don't think it's going to be a huge upgrade over your LG (unless you have one of the noisy drive LGs).

tbm24

Figured this is a good place to ask. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a new tv purchase before Stranger Things S2 arrives. In particular I’m most interested in watching it in 4K HDR. My budget isn’t terribly high but I can purchase the Sony 55 inch X900E. Everything I’ve read is great. Only hang up I have is with regards to HDR. From what I understand, the X930 can go about 2x brighter which signals to me, it can show much more of the wide color gamut. I don’t buy TVs often, my mainstay is my Sony W800b which I’m very much still enamored with and not letting go. Any tv I buy is a buy in for the long term. Would going with a X900E set me up for long term disappointment as HDR blu rays continue to evolve? I’ve yet to actually experience one and have 0 frame of reference.

Westonian

From what I understand, the X930 can go about 2x brighter which signals to me, it can show much more of the wide color gamut.

Peak nit is part of HDR, but has nothing to do with WCG. Panel bit depth (10-bit) determines color gamut. The 900E is a 10-bit panel and scored a 9.2 for color gradient (banding) on RTING (the 930 scored 9.3), so it will be great with WCG.

Realyst

I see this mentioned alot. Since I just got my equipment, I'm still feeling my way through services for 4k content. Is there a dedicated 4k section on YouTube? And what about HDR on YT as well?

There are channels that I’ve found that host 4K videos exclusively. Mostly nature/touring type of videos, and some gaming channels. I’ll try to see if I can find some to recommend, but I would suggest just searching for “4K” and going down the rabbit hole. You’ll see videos that are marked by the resolution offered in each thumbnail.

Supposedly, LG OLEDs (2016 and 2017 models) will be getting updates soon that allow support for YouTube’s HDR format via the app. I know that the newest Samsung TVs have that capability already, and I think you can use any box that uses Android TV for HDR.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
EYQFhjV.gif

Bad news: the Terminator 2 4K CE is sold out on Amazon.com.

Good news: it's in stock at Best Buy.

Looking forward to this, it'll make good desk candy.
update: the Amazon listing is still sold out and it is seemingly sold out at Best Buy.

available at Target
https://www.target.com/p/terminator-2-judgement-day-4k-uhd-blu-ray-digital/-/A-52848218

was hoping for a 4K update to itunes this week beyond the couple of new releases. boo. also I swear some universal titles were updated at launch last week, but are now HD. I am almost 100% positive my copy of Oblivion said 4K last week, and now it's HD.

Not sure where you are from but in the UK we get about half the amount of 4K HDR movies than the USA does on iTunes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Interesting. I asked Siri last night to show me 4K movies and came up with a few surprises. Bram Stoker’s Dracula, non-HDR. Most interesting was Star Trek II and Blade Runner. Neither were actually in 4K but neither showed up in the same search last week. So I’m wondering if we’ll see upgrades soon?

is there any way to watch google 4K content on apple devices?

Hmm. Maybe Youtube as the videos I have bought are accessible there. I haven't tried on an Apple TV.

I know on my iPhone and iPad I am able to access my Google Play Movies through their dedicated app.

borghe

Hmm. Maybe Youtube as the videos I have bought are accessible there. I haven't tried on an Apple TV.

I know on my iPhone and iPad I am able to access my Google Play Movies through their dedicated app.

youtube definitely not.. until/unless Google and Apple meet in some sort of middle on HEVC and VP9, 4K YouTube is dead on Apple.

Will check to see if Google Play Movies is on Apple TV. Just worried that Google is doing all of their 4K (even Play) in VP9 which again would kill it on Apple.

youtube definitely not.. until/unless Google and Apple meet in some sort of middle on HEVC and VP9, 4K YouTube is dead on Apple.

Will check to see if Google Play Movies is on Apple TV. Just worried that Google is doing all of their 4K (even Play) in VP9 which again would kill it on Apple.

Youtube app won't be supporting 4k on Apple TV?

That's disappointing.

I have the best of both worlds. An Apple TV and a Sony x900e with Android built in.

Youtube app won't be supporting 4k on Apple TV?

That's disappointing.

I have the best of both worlds. An Apple TV and a Sony x900e with Android built in.

It’s a mix, I would expect. Google is only using the VP9 format for their 4K stuff, and Apple doesn’t support that in iOS or tvOS. As far as I can tell barely anything does?

louiedog

It’s a mix, I would expect. Google is only using the VP9 format for their 4K stuff, and Apple doesn’t support that in iOS or tvOS. As far as I can tell barely anything does?

I thought all of the major TV makers supported it. My Samsung does and that's 20% of the market alone.

MUnited83

For you.
Have any good TV shows had any release in 4K Bluray? I know Netflix has a bunch of 4K shows but i haven't found any with a 4K Bluray

Toa TAK

Banned
Is this the right thread to ask why WB puts out some of the most stale Blu-Rays/DVDs, design-wise?

Like, who is in charge of their chapter selection. How does one chop up a 2 and a half hour movie in 10 pieces? That's terrible. Plus the static image for their main menus are lame.

I've yet to check them out. Seems that there are less this time than with the earlier films, probably due to the box office results.
That's a bummer. Was hoping for a commentary from Bayhem at least. I enjoy his ramblings in the same way I do Ridley Scott's.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Finally got a chance to open up my Re-Animator Limited Edition. This set is a beauty. Gonna watch the Integral Version in a little bit. I hope I won't have to buy this movie again for a very long time.

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/WZmvIze.jpg?1[/img]

Here are my latest additions to the collection:

Some real heavy hitters in that bunch. Nice haul.

Chairhome

- FandangoNOW deal: Use a referral code to 50% off (it says for rentals but works on purchases)
You can use it to buy Spiderman Homecoming 4K digital for $10. If you link FandangoNOW to your VUDU account, you can watch it in UHD there, too. If you need a referral link, PM me, I don't want to spam here.

- Checking FandangoNOW's other 4k offerings, they have Scott Pilgrim on there! One of my favorite movies. Not sure if it has HDR, but I'll probably buy it soon. Not sure if it will transfer to 4k on VUDU as well, since it looks like they don't offer the 4k version on there.
https://www.fandangonow.com/list/4k...-ultra-hd-movies&eli=6&eci=4k-ultra-hd-movies

- I didn't know this till recently, but Xbox One S (and upcoming XBX) do not support Dolby Vision. So I have to use VUDU if I want to watch movies with Dolby Vision

Smokey

I've never seen Blade Runner...

I actually had the UHD version in my hand at Best Buy when I was buying other stuff, and then out it back. Not knowing at the time that it's really hard to find? I did a search and see that Fry's has a UHD copy, albeit $10 more than what Best Buy sells it for. Think I'm going to grab it, but was curious why it seems impossible to find.

I was just looking at all of the different versions of Blade Runner on Blu-ray again. They're always sold out or super marked up. Sigh.

I've been trying to buy it for a long time. All I could ever find was a DVD copy of the Final Cut at Best Buy a few months back.

There's three used copies of the Final Cut Blu-ray for okay prices on Amazon, but I don't know. I'd prefer the 30th Anniversary version.

Westonian

Think I'm going to grab it, but was curious why it seems impossible to find.

Warner stopped shipping discs because one of the discs included was the wrong one (different cuts of the film instead of the bonus features). So it's only hard to find right now, but should be easy to find in the coming weeks once Warner starts shipping corrected packaging. It's not rare, so if you're thinking of picking it up for that reason alone I wouldn't bother.

borghe

so out of iTunes' mysterious 4K results from siri, here's what I've found:

Blade Runner Final Cut 4K + Dolby
Star Trek II Director's Cut 4K + Dolby (sadly the non-Director's Cut is the only one with iTunes Extras)
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K + Dolby
Mad Max 4K no dolby

Fast and Furious 6 is still showing up in the search but I can't find a version on iTunes with 4K.

robotrock

Banned
I've never seen Blade Runner...

I actually had the UHD version in my hand at Best Buy when I was buying other stuff, and then out it back. Not knowing at the time that it's really hard to find? I did a search and see that Fry's has a UHD copy, albeit $10 more than what Best Buy sells it for. Think I'm going to grab it, but was curious why it seems impossible to find.

I believe they included the wrong disc for one of the bonus features, so there was some kind of a recall. I expect it to be easily attainable sometime soon.

Smokey

Warner stopped shipping discs because one of the discs included was the wrong one (different cuts of the film instead of the bonus features). So it's only hard to find right now, but should be easy to find in the coming weeks once Warner starts shipping corrected packaging. It's not rare, so if you're thinking of picking it up for that reason alone I wouldn't bother.

I believe they included the wrong disc for one of the bonus features, so there was some kind of a recall. I expect it to be easily attainable sometime soon.

The for clarification. I'm.in front of it now. Are Warner offering some kind of deal it people who already have it?

so out of iTunes' mysterious 4K results from siri, here's what I've found:

Blade Runner Final Cut 4K + Dolby
Star Trek II Director's Cut 4K + Dolby (sadly the non-Director's Cut is the only one with iTunes Extras)
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K + Dolby
Mad Max 4K no dolby

Fast and Furious 6 is still showing up in the search but I can't find a version on iTunes with 4K.

Fast and Furious 6 is Universal, so either that’s a holdover from when they had 4K movies up up or a sign they’ll be back soon

ZetaEpyon

Just checked the copy of Blade Runner that I picked up the other day, and it indeed has the three additional cuts instead of the special features disc. So the corrected sets don't appear to be filtering out yet.

The for clarification. I'm.in front of it now. Are Warner offering some kind of deal it people who already have it?

Seems like some people on Reddit are getting replacements sent to them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dvdcollection/comments/72daqv/blade_runner_4k_replacement_discs/

Top Bottom