• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 anarchists arrested in plot to blow up Cleveland bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Would we feel the same if law enforcement stepped in with Timothy McVeigh before he met up with Terry McNichols? If your intent is there, I don't really think it matters who the facilitator is.

The FBI is already watching these people. Or as they put it, "there was never any threat to the general public." McVeigh is not a good comparison. The FBI didn't stop him after he met up with McNichols either

The people are go looking to do these acts. They are the ones who inciate it otherwise it would be entrapment.

That's not true in reality. Usually, the FBI targets a person or group, and conceives of the entire plot. It often requires a lot of cajoling and "peer" pressure by the agent to get the targets to even agree to act.

Providing the means and playing along with someone isn´t wrong and its keeping us safer.

That isn't what happens in these situations.

Would you rather the FBI just let them go to an actual terrorist?

That wouldn't have happened. I think many of you entertain very naive ideas about how law enforcement operates.

Kinyou

Here's another article on how these aren't anywhere close to actual terrorist plots, but just law enforcement officials creating imaginary threats by duping some clueless radicals.

Terrorist Plots, Hatched by the FBI: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/terrorist-plots-helped-along-by-the-fbi.html?_r=2
Two days later, the informer told him, “Allah has more work for you to do,” and added, “Revelation is going to come in your dreams that you have to do this thing, O.K.?” About 15 minutes later, Mr. Hussain proposed the idea of using missiles, saying he could get them in a container from China. Mr. Cromitie laughed.
Really feels like they make those guys look like a bigger threat than they actually are.

Though I also wouldn't like to take the chance that one of them might do some smaller attack. (given how easy it is to get a handgun in the US)

ToxicAdam

The intent is also manufactured. Invariably, it is the FBI agent that comes up with the idea. The FBI would never run an operation like this on somebody like Tim McVeigh. These are politically motivated. Muslims and leftists only

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...militia-group-conspiracy-dismissal/53815972/1The FBI had planted an informant and an agent inside the Hutaree militia starting in 2008, and the audio and video evidence the agency collected became the cornerstone of the government's case.

KK519.gif

The intent is also manufactured. Invariably, it is the FBI agent that comes up with the idea. The FBI would never run an operation like this on somebody like Tim McVeigh. These are politically motivated. Muslims and leftists only.

While I agree that the threat is manufactured, it's not just leftists and Muslism. Again, read what I linked earlier (http://www.esquire.com/features/waffle-house-terrorists-0212).

But the recipe is pretty simple:
* Find a group of disillusioned aimless impressionable people that want to fight the system in some way or other.
* Plant a mole, who pretends to be way more extreme than the rest, and who initiates the planning of the 'terrorist attack'.
* Arrest the people in the group when they appear to agree and/or go along with the undercover agent.
* Bingo, America's safer once again, the military-industrial complex is happy and prisons need to expanded some more (never mind the US has a crazy incarceration rate to begin with).

I'm not saying that all these people are kosher, but just that if you honestly believe all such people ought to be locked up, you better be willing to imprison shittons of people who 1) never presented a danger to society, and 2) would never have planned carrying out something illegal had they not been nudged and directed by these undercover cops.

Ever notice when these guys get caught, they ALWAYS get caught because they try to buy explosives from undercover agents? Terrorists/Anarchists sure have gotten lazy these days. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's enough information floating around the Internets on how to make your own explosives. But nooooo; they all want everything ready-made, like microwavable dinners.

Ever notice when these guys get caught, they ALWAYS get caught because they try to buy explosives from undercover agents? Terrorists/Anarchists sure have gotten lazy these days. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's enough information floating around the Internets on how to make your own explosives. But nooooo; they all want everything ready-made, like microwavable dinners.
Bomb making seems to be a lost skill these days. Look at the crap the Time Square guy whipped up.

More "crime" manufactured by the FBI. It's like a parade these days. Anytime you see these words, "Both men say the public was never in danger from the explosive devices, which were controlled by an undercover FBI employee," you can pretty safely assume it's yet another example of law enforcement agencies orchestrating crimes to "solve." Makes 'em look good and keeps you in fear.

Another red flag: "a series of evolving plots over several months." I wonder how those plots "evolved" over time?
Haha sure

Hey aren't you a defense lawyer or something?

Chichikov

It's a reflection of the type of people the FBI is able to catch more than anything.

But that's alright, let's blow our counter-terrorism load on idiots who don't know how to use google.
It will look great in the papers.

Valnen

More "crime" manufactured by the FBI. It's like a parade these days. Anytime you see these words, "Both men say the public was never in danger from the explosive devices, which were controlled by an undercover FBI employee," you can pretty safely assume it's yet another example of law enforcement agencies orchestrating crimes to "solve." Makes 'em look good and keeps you in fear.

Another red flag: "a series of evolving plots over several months." I wonder how those plots "evolved" over time?
Conspiracy nutjobs never cease to amuse.

sangreal

Conspiracy nutjobs never cease to amuse.

Have you actually read the story behind any of these plots/busts? It's not exactly a secret. The FBI's justification is usually, "we offered them several chances to end the plot"

I mean, it's written right in the OP that their original plan was to vandalize some signs on banks

Utako

Banned
Why are these guys "anarchists," but jihadists are "terrorists"?

:reads thread:
Ah, OK, they are white.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, here's the thing.

"Hey, you wanna blow up a bridge with explosives? I have some explosives I can sell you."

That's not entrapment.

You're not supposed to buy explosives to blow up a bridge.

no, otherwise a court would strike it down.

You clearly don't have any experience with criminal matters and courts. Again, this is naivete. I don't expect people who do not deal with this kind of stuff up close to have a realistic understanding of the system and how it operates, but as somebody who works in this field, I can assure you that courts do not "strike down" improper law enforcement. In fact, that police officers openly and routinely lie on the witness stand, especially during suppression hearings, and that prosecutors and judges are well aware that this occurs but do nothing about it, is quite openly discussed in academic legal journals.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=testilying&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1,44&as_sdtp=on

A lot of the actual specifics are create by the FBI doesn´t go up to someone and say he do you want to blow up something and then bust them. That´s entrapment

It's undoubtedly entrapment, although that particular legal doctrine has been whittled away to virtually nothing (not to mention easily avoided by routine perjury by law enforcement and their agents).

And you´re joking if you think the FBI doesn´t care about rightwing terrorists. Because they do the same thing to them
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501369_162-20128867/feds-online-novel-played-role-in-ga-militia-plot/

Hey, a manufactured right-wing plot! That is a rare find, my friend. "'This case demonstrates that we must remain vigilant in protecting our country from citizens within our own borders who threaten our safety and security,' she said. Indeed! Patriot Act justified.

Well, here's the thing.

"Hey, you wanna blow up a bridge with explosives? I have some explosives I can sell you."

That's not entrapment.

You'd be surprised how many people have so much trouble grasping that concept.

Hey, a manufactured right-wing plot! That is a rare find, my friend. "'This case demonstrates that we must remain vigilant in protecting our country from citizens within our own borders who threaten our safety and security,' she said. Indeed! Patriot Act justified.

Someone is being a little testy now aren't they?

It's undoubtedly entrapment, although that particular legal doctrine has been whittled away to virtually nothing (not to mention easily avoided by routine perjury by law enforcement and their agents).
Meaning it's not entrapment, but I'll complain about it and pretend it is, even though as a lawyer, I know better.

Evlar

Banned
Well, here's the thing.

That's not entrapment.

When does it cross the line, though? We have an FBI informant posing as a radical jihadist, telling the target
New York Times said:
Two days later, the informer told him, “Allah has more work for you to do,” and added, “Revelation is going to come in your dreams that you have to do this thing, O.K.?” About 15 minutes later, Mr. Hussain proposed the idea of using missiles, saying he could get them in a container from China. Mr. Cromitie laughed.
This is at the very least reinforcing a violent worldview... and plausibly proposing one.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
That's what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out that because they're being called anarchists specifically because the word "terrorist" has become synonymous with "brown dude in turban… maybe swings a cutlass."

To be fair, Cleveland has an even record with Pittsburgh

That's what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out that because they're being called anarchists specifically because the word "terrorist" has become synonymous with "brown dude in turban… maybe swings a cutlass."

I just think it's for flavoring the story, then again my knowledge of terrorist groups was always based on a wide range of examples (Japanese Red Army, IRA, Secular-Left Wing Middle Eastern Terrorism, etc).

I do agree though, I would have used the phrase an anarchist terrorist group. I feel like you need to have something attached to terrorist, as (even today) it's broad as hell.

Slayven

When does it cross the line, though? We have an FBI informant posing as a radical jihadist, telling the target
This is at the very least reinforcing a violent worldview... and plausibly proposing one.

When the FBI holds a gun to their head and tells them to seek out someone to buy explosives.

Gaborn

Sounds a lot like: http://www.esquire.com/features/waffle-house-terrorists-0212

In other words, undercover law enforcement officials entrapping a bunch of clueless radicals who otherwise would never have come close to carrying out, or even planning, what they're charged with.

I agree with this. Another comparison is the Hutaree militia who had the majority of the charges recently quietly dismissed for a similarly ridiculously over the top plot. It was amazing how much coverage it got when the arrests were made but somehow the media barely acknowledged the dismissal of most charges.

EDIT: I see Toxic Adam beat me to that comparison. Still, it's amazing how people take these things, internalize them as fitting a narrative, and then don't follow up on what actually happens with a lot of these cases. If it sounds too crazy to be true it usually is.

Chichikov

When does it cross the line, though?
If a crime could not have been committed without the FBI.
That's my line.
I think it had been crossed here (though I don't know the full details of this story).

Edit: re: left v. right thing, the FBI smashed the KKK with very little regard to the rule of law.
And I'm mostly okay with it.

Once again that's an Op-ed and the suspect could have left or stopped. He made his choice, which is why I'm happy the FBI finds these people before actual groups do (or they find actual groups).

That said with drones and other operations around the world groups are being forced to turn to nitwits more and more as the more skillset rich recruits are deterred from joining, the people will skills who are being killed are being killed at a rate where they can't be replaced by people with equal or even remotely equal skllsets. You could argue it's better to funnel them to actual groups because their goofs and more of a liability...but our luck of getting only idiots trying to detonate devices is going to eventually run out.

Do you find this post disingenuous? I do.
You current post? No. It seem genuine.

I think it's hilarious that the reasonable smart people that frequent the Ron Paul thread are suddenly "insane" when they visit a normal thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom