• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silk Road 2.0 and 2 other darknet drug markets seized by the FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
silk-road-seized-3.png

It's about a year to the day when the first Silk Road, a dark web marketplace, was shut down by the feds.

Apparently, the dude running Silk Road 2.0, Blake Benthall, was a software engineer at spacex. For a rocket scientist, this dude was a dumbass. He bought the site's hosting using his gmail address, posted a lot of stuff about the silk road on twitter, spent bitcoins like crazy, one of his administrators was an undercover agent, and he logged into to Silk Road multiple times without using TOR or any other kind of protection.

Blake Benthall @blakeeb · Jan 15 "how the heck do I get an apartment when every LA landlord just stares blankly at my bitcoin balance and asks for pay stubs #workforbtc"

https://twitter.com/blakeeb, https://soundcloud.com/blakeeb

At least 2 more drug market places have also been seized by the FBI (hydra and c9).

http://imgur.com/xGEXr2U
http://imgur.com/fPrluW9

Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, George Venizelos, the Assistant Director-in-Charge of the New York Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”), and Peter Edge, Executive Associate Director of Homeland Security Investigations (“HSI”), announced today the arrest of BLAKE BENTHALL, a/k/a “Defcon,” in connection with his operation and ownership of the Silk Road 2.0 website, a hidden website designed to enable its users to buy and sell illegal drugs and other unlawful goods and services anonymously and beyond the reach of law enforcement. BENTHALL was arrested yesterday in San Francisco, California. He will be presented later today in federal court in San Francisco before Magistrate Judge Jaqueline Scott Corley.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said: “As alleged, Blake Benthall attempted to resurrect Silk Road, a secret website that law enforcement seized last year, by running Silk Road 2.0, a nearly identical criminal enterprise. Let’s be clear—this Silk Road, in whatever form, is the road to prison. Those looking to follow in the footsteps of alleged cybercriminals should understand that we will return as many times as necessary to shut down noxious online criminal bazaars. We don’t get tired.”

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge George Venizelos said: “It’s been more than a year since the FBI made an arrest of the administrator of the black-market bazaar, Silk Road, and here we stand again, announcing the arrest of the creator and operator of Silk Road 2.0. Following a very close business model to the first, as alleged, Blake Benthall ran a website on the Tor network facilitating supposedly anonymous deals of drugs and illegal services generating millions of dollars in monthly sales. Benthall should have known that those who hide behind the keyboard will ultimately be found. The FBI worked with law enforcement partners here and abroad on this case and will continue to investigate and bring to prosecution those who seek to run similar black markets online.”

HSI Executive Associate Director Peter Edge said: “Blake Benthall’s arrest ends his status as the alleged administrator of a website that allows illicit black-market activities to evolve and expand, and provides a safe haven for illegal vices. HSI will continue to work in partnership with its federal and international law enforcement partners around the world to hold criminals who use anonymous Internet software for illegal activities who seek to hide behind the anonymity of the Internet to carry out illegal activities accountable for their actions.”

According to the Complaint unsealed today in Manhattan federal court:

Since about December 2013, BENTHALL, a/k/a “Defcon,” has secretly owned and operated an underground website known as “Silk Road 2.0”—one of the most extensive, sophisticated, and widely used criminal marketplaces on the Internet today. The website has operated on the “Tor” network, a special network of computers on the Internet, distributed around the world, designed to conceal the true IP addresses of the computers on the network and thereby the identities of the network’s users. Since its launch in November 2013, Silk Road 2.0 has been used by thousands of drug dealers and other unlawful vendors to distribute hundreds of kilograms of illegal drugs and other illicit goods and services to buyers throughout the world, as well as to launder millions of dollars generated by these unlawful transactions. As of September 2014, Silk Road 2.0 was generating sales of at least approximately $8 million per month and had approximately 150,000 active users.

Silk Road 2.0 was created in the wake of the Government’s October 2013 seizure of the website known as “Silk Road” and the arrest of its alleged owner and operator, Ross William Ulbricht, a/k/a “Dread Pirate Roberts.” The original Silk Road website had been designed to enable people anywhere in the world to buy and sell illegal drugs and other illegal goods and services anonymously and beyond the reach of law enforcement. Before its seizure in October 2013, Silk Road was used extensively to facilitate such transactions.

In November 2013, approximately five weeks after the Government shut down Silk Road and arrested Ulbricht, Silk Road 2.0 was launched. Designed to fill the void left by the Government’s seizure of Silk Road, Silk Road 2.0 was virtually identical to the original Silk Road website in the way it appeared and functioned. In particular, like its predecessor, Silk Road 2.0 operated exclusively on the “Tor” network and required all transactions to be paid for in Bitcoins in order to preserve its users’ anonymity and evade detection by law enforcement. Likewise, the offerings on Silk Road 2.0 consisted overwhelmingly of illegal drugs, which were openly advertised as such on the site. As of October 17, 2014, Silk Road 2.0 had over 13,000 listings for controlled substances, including, among others, 1,783 listings for “Psychedelics,” 1,697 listings for “Ecstasy,” 1,707 listings for “Cannabis,” and 379 listings for “Opioids.” Besides illegal narcotics, other illicit goods and services were openly advertised for sale on Silk Road 2.0 as well, including fraudulent identification documents and computer-hacking tools and services.

When Silk Road 2.0 was launched, it was controlled for a short time by a co-conspirator using the same online moniker as that allegedly used by Ross Ulbricht in operating the original Silk Road website—“Dread Pirate Roberts.” In late December 2013, however, BENTHALL, using the moniker “Defcon,” took over administration of the site and has owned and operated it continuously since that time. In that role, BENTHALL has controlled and overseen all aspects of Silk Road 2.0, including, among other things: the computer infrastructure and programming code underlying the website; the terms of service and commission rates imposed on vendors and customers of the website; the small staff of online administrators and forum moderators who have assisted with the day-to-day operation of the website; and the massive profits generated from the operation of the illegal business.

During the Government’s investigation, which was conducted jointly by the FBI and HSI, an HSI agent acting in an undercover capacity (the “HSI-UC”) successfully infiltrated the support staff involved in the administration of the Silk Road 2.0 website, and was given access to private, restricted areas of the site reserved for BENTHALL and his administrative staff. By doing so, the HSI-UC was able to interact directly with BENTHALL throughout his operation of the website.

BENTHALL, 26, of San Francisco, California, is charged with one count of conspiring to commit narcotics trafficking, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison and a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison; one count of conspiring to commit computer hacking, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison; one count of conspiring to traffic in fraudulent identification documents, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison; and one count of money laundering conspiracy, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. The maximum potential sentences are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the judge.
http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-re....0-website-charged-in-manhattan-federal-court

I hope that 1 year of being a drug kingpin was worth it, bro.

The FBI alleges in its complaint that Benthall's unencrypted computer contained "address lists for customers all over the world that will be of significant interest to many global law enforcement agencies."
http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-silk-road-seized-arrests-2014-11#ixzz3IJQe55SO
https://www.scribd.com/doc/245744481/Benthall-Blake-Complaint

Ric Flair

Banned
So, slightly OT, i've always wondered, is the quality better or worse than what you could get from a dealer off the street? I imagine fewer hands being traded between equals higher quality goods, but then again it's still the internet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So if the FBI didn't have the undercover agent on the ground floor of 2.0 would they have caught him so quickly?

Those charges are rough. Wow.

So if the FBI didn't have the undercover agent on the ground floor of 2.0 would they have caught him so quickly?

It probably would've taken a bit longer. But his trail looks like it's far easier to find than the previous owners so it wouldn't have taken as long as the original group.

He admitted to it immediately after being detained -- another foolish decision.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/prosecutor-silk-road-2-0-suspect-did-admit-to-everything/

Prosecutor: Silk Road 2.0 suspect “did admit to everything” said:
SAN FRANCISCO—In his first court appearance since being arrested, Silk Road 2.0 suspect Blake Benthall appeared before a federal judge on Thursday. He was not in handcuffs or shackles; the accused wore street clothes, including a gray hoodie that read "INTERNET BETTER" across the back.

In court, federal prosecutor Kathryn Haun said that Benthall was likely to flee and should not be released. "He was found with over $100,000 in cash at home," Haun told the court. "He has a passport. We're not aware of whether that was secured. In addition to all of the detail, Mr. Benthall did admit to everything after receiving his Miranda rights—that he was the administrator of Silk Road 2.0. Our principle basis is flight risk at this point."

Some speculate that he was an informant who ran afoul with one or more government agencies and lost protection along the way. They wonder how an otherwise intelligent software engineer could make so many stupid mistakes unless those mistakes were intentional. I am not one for conspiracy theories, but it is confusing how sloppy Blake was.

They shut down 2 other markets today and made arrests in Ireland as well. I don't know if those arrests and shutdowns were in connection with SR2 and Blake, but it's possible they aren't, and it's possible they cracked those other people without using undercover agents.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've worked with some absolute genius engineers and programmers before who would also make horrible life choices like this because while they may be brilliant at what they do they had no street smarts whatsoever and if you mix that in with the sort of crowd that a crypto currency black market attracts, yeah.

They also had other agents already installed in the thing so no need to use the leader as the sting man. Just a dumb kid.

I've worked with some absolute genius engineers and programmers before who would also make horrible life choices like this because while they may be brilliant at what they do they had no street smarts whatsoever and if you mix that in with the sort of crowd that a crypto currency black market attracts, yeah.

They also had other agents already installed in the thing so no need to use the leader as the sting man. Just a dumb kid.

Take this with a grain of salt, but here's someone who claims to be an ex-coworker:
I used to work with Blake at one of my previous companies. This is pretty surprising to those of us from work who knew him. Here's what I can say about him:

Frankly, this all seems out of character for Blake. While he did have a "hacker mentality" and tried to show off his dev skills here and there, he never came across as the type who would use his talents for illegal activities. That said, he definitely had the know-how to try it (I guess not successfully).
I always thought he was religious. He grew up with a family that took religion seriously. It's very apparent in his music (see next bullet).
He liked to make music (pianist). He'd be in the studio a lot and would always talk about the album he wanted to release. Here's his SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/blakeeb
He was homeschooled in Texas growing up and I met his parents once at a company event when they were in SF visiting. They are incredibly nice people who, from my understanding, care very much about him.
He was a talented developer. Solid rails skills and he would pick up new concepts quickly.
Given all of the above, Blake was a terrible team player at work. He didn't do well when he was asked to pair program with other devs and he wouldn't listen to the our requests to try and follow some standard procedures and do a better job at communicating.
He'd show up to work at random hours and he'd never communicate to us if he'd be coming in or not. His time management was incredibly poor. Part of this is due to his extra curricular activities, such as going to the studio to record music. All that said, there was no evidence at the time of his employment with us that he had participated in any illegal activities (also the time frame at this job definitely did not coincide with the alleged dates listed for Silk Road 2).
He left the company later on. He was simply too much of a "renegade" in his work style. It was sad to see him go (despite not being a great coworker, he was always a pleasant person) and he was actually surprised by it.
He's a small guy physically. If he does end up going to prison I really can't imagine him doing well there... but I suppose that all depends on what kind of prison this type of sentencing will get him.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...k_on_twitter_operator_of_silk_road_20/clv1gkz

Zaptruder

Banned
The end result is drugs accessed less conveniently through more dangerous means... keeping money flowing into the coffers of law enforcement through the fear uncertainty and doubt of street level criminal drug activity.

I mean... what's the war on drugs up to? A trillion dollars? Does that include the cost of the vastly expanded prison system, and the cost to communities for sending a significant percentage of their population to prison?

I somehow doubt it.

I got caught changing grades for money in high school senior year & was given the option of prosecution or working for a govt agency for a year after graduation. But I didn't graduate and dropped out. Still had to honor the deal :( most boring year of my life

But using my skills to become a.. drug kingpin? That takes a.. special kind of person.

(I cannot say more, except it wasn't spy related in any way. I mostly just played EverQuest

Sliver

What the fuck is the point of this? The government needs to get its priorities straight, this is people buying drugs in the most nonviolent way possible.

What the fuck is the point of this? The government needs to get its priorities straight, this is people buying drugs in the most nonviolent way possible.

are you honestly defending mass drug trafficking? What about the other services, like hired hits and such that take place on such networks?

DJKhaled

So, slightly OT, i've always wondered, is the quality better or worse than what you could get from a dealer off the street? I imagine fewer hands being traded between equals higher quality goods, but then again it's still the internet.

better quality generally, people can leave reviews ebay style so you can tell if you should trust the seller

DJKhaled

Uh..hit men are hired too.

no, they aren't. not on silkroad at least.

are you honestly defending mass drug trafficking? What about the other services, like hired hits and such that take place on such networks?

see above, all the popular darknet markets dont let that hitman stuff on their sites.

people need to stop believing what they see in fox news and read in the newspaper.

Famassu

From what kind of people? Some of them are probably not all that dangerous to society, but some of it probably funds some criminal activity/drug cartel types, which absolutely is worth this type of thing.

DJKhaled

From what kind of people? Some of them are probably not all that dangerous to society, but some of it probably funds some criminal activity/drug cartel types, which absolutely is worth this type of thing.

well if the government didnt have archaic drug laws maybe the cartels wouldnt sell this drugs

How dumb do you have to be to not cover your tracks if your managing one of the biggest hidden drug selling sites out there? He should have moved to some random small country with no extradition laws and do all of his business in the comfort of some huge mansion bought with his drug money.

Diablos

What a fucking idiot.

Every time this happens it just gives lawmakers another excuse to completely lock down the Internet someday.

wildfire

Banned
Uh..hit men are hired too.

Criminals specialize too. Silk Road and similar drug bazaars weren't selling hitmen services. In fact the original SIlk Road used to sell guns but the owner had second thoughts about that and eventually banned their sales so someone else created "The Armory" to make up for the bannings.

His point about selling drugs through online being safer is correct since you don't have to deal with face to face encounters anymore.

What I don't agree with is that the government shouldn't shut these businesses down. Drugs are still pretty harmful depending on their addiction potential.

400 removed but only 17 arrests made so far. It seems to be pretty hard to find criminals using the deep web.
And only a million or so bucks in bitcoins seized. From the sounds of it, a lot of those pages were forums or mirrors. LE may be playing up the extent of this raid.

wasnt there a dude who "set up" another silk road and then just ran with the money people gave him or am I thinking of another website for illicit goods?

demented

So he got found out by letting an FBI agent into support and giving him access? Ok with that information and from shut down of first site v3 will have easier time, let's go! Expecting it up within a month.

diamount

Banned

Erm, the agency challenged with stopping the illegal drug trade is doing it's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom