• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI foils Kansas militia terrorist attack on Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

"but but but but but but terrorists are brown!"

Good work on the FBI. Fuck these hypocritical assholes and all their scaremongering about the "threat" from the east.

The salt on Twitter from the oven-meme connoisseurs was delicious. If we weren't talking about a plot to kill innocent POC, and their children, I would use their tears to bathe in.

After diving deep into the bowels of the Twitter hate swamps, I get the distinct feeling that while disgusting, many of the accounts are simply sock-puppets of a dedicated, if sad, core of bigots and morons. I know there has to be a platform where these dorks congregate. Twitter, admittedly the only social media platform I use, seems to be an outlet for their rage, not particularly a recruiting tool. Are /pol/ and DailyStormer the beating heart of their "movement" or am I missing something here?

Let's see how much the ring-wing media focuses on this. On either blogs, Fox News, etc. Cause you know if it was a foiled "Islamic terrorism" attack it would be in font 200 headlines for a couple weeks at least and turned into the issue of the election.

Boney

Banned
Our brave militia risks prison for life to keep us real Americans safe.

What the hell is a milita group, do they band together in insurgence against a government uprising?

Did the FBI agents had to visit Reddit erryday? Are they trying to divide this country by being racist and not let valiant white supremacist free expression?

The only hope for America is to shut down the GOP for the terrorist organization that it is and remove them from office, maybe leave them in Flint so to die from lead poisoning.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Militia means there's more of them. Also there's plenty of militias that are just racists attacking minorities, I think in any place that's not a warzone and not the US that term rings the alarm bells.

My point is that the word 'militia' is largely romanticized and viewed patriotically in the US.

Like 99% of the domestic terrorism briefings I get in my inbox are Christian radicals or white nationalists (usually overlapping). The news media talks about brown people because it's scarier and easier to put a face on, but the actual resources focus on cases like this.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The same place where it says everyone with brown skin is a Muslim.

oh-snap.gif

Haha, holy shit

koji kabuto

Somali immigrants? Sounds like a win/win Situation for trump supporters as they are black and Muslims.

I'm glad it didn't happen, Stay safe everyone.

My point is that the word 'militia' is largely romanticized and viewed patriotically in the US.

Not in my experience. Most people I know hear "militia," or even better "white/Christian militia," do not think of romanticized patriots. They think lunatics living out in the woods preaching about the end times and making bombs out of fertilizer. They think about terrorists.

What about the other two?

Also:

Three southwest Kansas men, Patrick Eugene Stein, Curtis Allen, and Gavin Wright, were arrested today for allegedly conspiring to blow up an apartment complex in Garden City that houses a mosque and serves as a home for many local Somali refugees, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

lol at that name.

Jeels

Like 99% of the domestic terrorism briefings I get in my inbox are Christian radicals or white nationalists (usually overlapping). The news media talks about brown people because it's scarier and easier to put a face on, but the actual resources focus on cases like this.

How do you get these notifications?

Curufinwe

Stein's family are “extremely grateful” he was caught.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...d-bomb-plot-grateful-foiled-article-1.2834321

FBI agents said Curtis Allen, 49, Gavin Wright, 49, and Patrick Stein, 47, planned to blow up four car bombs at a Garden City apartment complex and mosque. The three men linked to a militia cell called “The Crusaders” were charged Friday with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction.

Stein’s family asked for privacy in a statement released through their attorney Monday but thanked all law enforcement agencies involved with foiling the attack.

“The Stein family is shocked and devastated by the news we received last Friday,” his family said. “We do not support discrimination of any sort and have never advocated or condoned violence as a solution to differences.”

ehhh, Ive never seen the word militia used in a positive way in contemporary use. Not a lot of people go "Oh youre in a militia, cool!", its more "Oh youre in a militia, you sound like a nut!"

Fucking hell the election aftermath is really going to be hell on earth isn't it. It's definitely terrorism, you'd have to have some serious cognitive dissonance going on to think it isn't. I mean, they were literally arrested and charged for terrorism.

How did they even get this far? Why did no other Christians report them sooner? Surely they must have seen something, heard something. Where is the condemnation from the Christianity community here?

Absolutely nowhere in the article is Christianity mentioned, save for the group calling themselves crusaders. Let's not rope in outside group for no damn good reason.

Thank you

Zubz

Banned
ehhh, Ive never seen the word militia used in a positive way in contemporary use. Not a lot of people go "Oh youre in a militia, cool!", its more "Oh youre in a militia, you sound like a nut!"

Trust me, a lot of the people who would join a militia see it as patriotic. In school, it was the term some of my textbooks used to define the early U.S. army back in the Revolutionary War.

Curufinwe

White Privilege wages jihad: Kansas “militia members” aren’t considered “terrorists” because they’re not Muslim

I've been living in America for many years, but it's still appalls and baffles me how white terrorism is downplayed by the media. This attack planned by Trump supporters for the day after the election should be the first topic of discussion at tonight's debate, but it probably won't even be brought up by the moderator.

White privilege takes many forms in America. Terrorists are nebulous brown “Arabs” and “Muslims.” White privilege deems that such a label not be applied by the mainstream news media and in the popular discourse to white Christians such as Allen, Wright and Stein.

On these matters, white privilege also imperils public safety. Since 2002 more Americans have been killed by white Christian Right-wing terrorists than by Muslims or Arabs. As reported by Duke University’s Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security in 2015, “Law enforcement agencies in the United States consider anti-government violent extremists, not radicalized Muslims, to be the most severe threat of political violence that they face.” In their announcement about the arrest of Allen, Wright and Stein, the Federal Bureau of Investigation also referred to the Crusaders as “domestic terrorists.”

But the Right-wing media and the Republican Party has chosen to actively suppress that information — as in the case of how West Point’s Combatting Terrorism Center’s findings about the threat posed by Right-wing anti-government groups was met with protests, derision and threats to cut research funding. In all, the image of the Muslim-Arab bogeyman with a suicide vest hiding under beds in white Middle America does more political work for conservatives than a mature discussion of the significant dangers posed by white Right-wing radicals and terrorists in the “Sovereign citizens” and militia movements.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Absolutely nowhere in the article is Christianity mentioned, save for the group calling themselves crusaders. Let's not rope in outside group for no damn good reason.
That post is satire... People make the same statement (unironically) about Muslims every time people hear about an ISIS attack or a brown person committing an act of terror.

The entire Muslim community gets the responsibility pinned on them for the acts of psychopaths.

Lenz44

Banned
Trust me, a lot of the people who would join a militia see it as patriotic. In school, it was the term some of my textbooks used to define the early U.S. army back in the Revolutionary War.

I mean, in the revolutionary war Militias were an actual thing that contributed overall to the war effort in the beginning as there was no real army in place. In that sense it's an accurate term and not related in any way to the current "militias". The "militias" of today have tried to co-opt the real patriotism of the original militias that fought for independence and are using it for terrorist and conspiracy thoughts about the government. Oh and racism, lots of racism.

PopeReal

I love how this story is being completely ignored by the right.

I wonder why they aren't latching on to it and sending memes on facebook......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

DedValve

Banned
"but but but but but but terrorists are brown!"

And this line of thought continues to exist because that very article

Terrorist: 0 results found
Terrorism: 2 results found, both cases referring to islamic terrorism
Militia: 5 results found, all used to directly describe these terrorists.

These guys are not a militia. They are terrorists. And they got stopped, thankfully as all terrorists should. They should be held in no different light or standard than foreign terrorist threats.

Yeah, the level of stupidity on display here is truly staggering.

Radicalized people become blind to irony no matter how obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom