• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A town in Kansas welcomed Somali refugees. 3 Trump supporters tried to kill them all.

We had a thread about this when it happened but this article goes through everything that happened and the eventual trial of those 3 terrorists.

”The Only Good Muslim Is a Dead Muslim"

A meatpacking town in Kansas opened its doors to Somali refugees. Then a group of Trump supporters plotted to kill them after Election Day.

On October 11, 2016, less than a month before Election Day, police in Liberal, Kansas, sat in their cruisers outside G&G Home Center, waiting for Curtis Allen to emerge. The mobile home dealership where Allen worked was nothing more than a prefab trailer hauled onto a patch of scrub grass along a remote stretch of Highway 83 on the outskirts of town. His GMC Yukon was sitting in the parking lot, so the officers felt certain that he was one of two men they could see moving around inside. When the men left in separate vehicles, police believed that Allen was in the Yukon—but it was getting dark and they had to be sure. After the trucks turned onto the highway, the officers signaled for both drivers to pull over.

The police had reason to be cautious. Less than an hour earlier, Allen's girlfriend had called 911 to report that he had beaten her during an argument. When Sergeant Jeffrey Wade from the Liberal Police Department arrived to take a statement at the mobile home park where she and Allen lived, the woman showed him something unexpected: a room packed with handguns, gunsmithing tools, and boxes of ammunition stacked to the ceiling. Police later estimated that the trailer contained nearly a metric ton of bullets.

Now, with their lights flashing, officers warily approached the two vehicles on the highway shoulder. A search of Allen's Yukon turned up magazines for AR-15s, AK-47s, and Glock handguns. Allen, who had an earlier conviction for domestic battery, was barred from possessing guns or ammunition; Liberal police arrested him on the spot. The other driver, Gavin Wright, Allen's boss at G&G, was asked to submit voluntarily to a search of his Dodge Ram. He refused and was released.

Soon after, Liberal's police chief was contacted by the FBI. It turned out that the bureau had been tracking Allen and Wright, as well as a third suspect named Patrick Stein, for months. The three men were the founders of a new anti-Muslim white supremacist group that called itself the Crusaders. As their inaugural act, the FBI said, the men were plotting to carry out a Timothy McVeigh–style bombing in Garden City, Kansas, about an hour north of Liberal. Their plan was to detonate two cargo vans loaded with massive amounts of ammonium nitrate in the parking lots of the Garden Spot Apartments, a sprawling complex straddling both sides of West Mary Street. The drab, one-story units were inhabited primarily by Somalis and other refugees, who had come to Garden City to work at the nearby Tyson meatpacking plant.

Full article: https://newrepublic.com/article/142...i-muslim-refugee-murder-plot-trump-supporters

EDIT: hmm, perhaps a mod could edit the title and mention that this happened in 2016? Sorry, it's my first time making a thead :(

The fact the town is called Liberal, and thus the police are 'Liberal police', must have made some alt-right memer sweat with gross joy.

The fact the town is called Liberal, and thus the police are 'Liberal police', must have made some alt-right memer sweat with gross joy.

my exact thought.

At first I was like " what, Liberal Police, as opposed to Conservative Police ? " and then I saw the town is named Liberal...

Skyzard

Banned
I hadn't even heard about this. What a bunch of fucking scum.

The Crusaders had initially planned to carry out the attack on September 11, but then called it off, worried that a mass murder might help Hillary Clinton's chances in the presidential campaign. ”We cannot let Hillary back into the White House," Stein told the undercover agent. So they decided to wait—until the night after the election. Under cover of darkness, the Crusaders would ease the cargo vans into place.

ek1uoLc.png

t almost any time of day, Somali women gathered outside the units, draped in brightly colored dresses, most with their heads covered by hijabs. Their children chased each other in the grass. They were everywhere. ”Literally every fucking apartment," Stein said in a conversation recorded by the FBI. There was even an informal mosque in one of the units. ”That's all it is, fucking goddamn cockroaches."
The Somali workers would be sleeping after the second shift at Tyson or rising for morning prayers at their mosque, when the bombers made the deadly calls on their cell phones. After the explosions, they would swoop into the wreckage and shoot any survivors. ”There's no leaving anyone behind, even if it's a one-year-old," Stein said. ”I'm serious. I guarantee if I go on a mission those little fuckers are going bye-bye."

They were fully decked out to pull off a massive terrorist attack. Thank god for the FBI here.

Holy shit.

Auctopus

They're scum but part of me feels sorry, sometimes. They are clearly cut off from the wider world and just believe what they see on their patriotic news channels.

I wonder if they truly believe there is some sort of invasion by minorities and they're protecting they're homeland like some sort of Red Dawn situation.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
On October 21, Stein appeared at a bail hearing in Wichita. His attorney, Ed Robinson, offered a provocative defense: A steady stream of fake news, spread on social media, had convinced the Crusaders that America was in a state of emergency. Stein believed that the presidential election was rigged against Donald Trump, and that the Muslim Brotherhood had seized control of the government. Even if Trump somehow managed to win, Stein was certain that President Obama would immediately invalidate the results and declare martial law. United Nations tanks had already been sent into southwestern Kansas to subdue the populace. Everyone was in on it—from Obama to Attorney General Loretta Lynch, “even getting down to the local government.”

To me this really highlights a nearly impossible problem to solve. You have people who actually believe stuff like this, probably because they want to believe stuff like this - and it feeds into their fear and hate. I don't think it's a good defense, not in any real way, but I do think it has an affect on people.

But how do you deal with 'fake news' blog posts or YouTube stars? How do you deal with something like this when all it takes is some Joe Schmoe having a readily available platform for broadcasting whatever the hell his latest fever dream has conjured up for him? If you can't stop it from happening, how do you mitigate it?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Allen, who had an earlier conviction for domestic battery, was barred from possessing guns or ammunition; Liberal police arrested him on the spot.

Liberal police literally coming to take the guns.

So they were right.....damn...........

To me this really highlights a nearly impossible problem to solve. You have people who actually believe stuff like this, probably because they want to believe stuff like this - and it feeds into their fear and hate. I don't think it's a good defense, not in any real way, but I do think it has an affect on people.

But how do you deal with 'fake news' blog posts or YouTube stars? How do you deal with something like this when all it takes is some Joe Schmoe having a readily available platform for broadcasting whatever the hell his latest fever dream has conjured up for him? If you can't stop it from happening, how do you mitigate it?

Do a better job of educating your population.

So much to take in from this story.

The town is called Liberal. Liberal police, Liberal citizens, so good.

They called themselves the Crusaders.

Now, with their lights flashing, officers warily approached the two vehicles on the highway shoulder. A search of Allen’s Yukon turned up magazines for AR-15s, AK-47s, and Glock handguns. Allen, who had an earlier conviction for domestic battery, was barred from possessing guns or ammunition; Liberal police arrested him on the spot. The other driver, Gavin Wright, Allen’s boss at G&G, was asked to submit voluntarily to a search of his Dodge Ram. He refused and was released.

Come on guys. You couldn't pretend it's a black dude and you smell marijuana?

He also met Wright, who had gone from working at a meatpacking plant to selling mobile homes to house the influx of new immigrants.

Who knew the cure to economic anxiety was to murder all of your customers?

The Crusaders had initially planned to carry out the attack on September 11, but then called it off, worried that a mass murder might help Hillary Clinton’s chances in the presidential campaign. “We cannot let Hillary back into the White House,” Stein told the undercover agent.

Presented without comment.

When an agent asked if Stein had any misgivings about killing children, he expressed no remorse. Most of his targets, he insisted, were “fighting age.”

OK, I'll give them credit for not being completely close-minded. They adopted their own version of the Obama administration's method of evaluating casualties.

On October 21, Stein appeared at a bail hearing in Wichita. His attorney, Ed Robinson, offered a provocative defense: A steady stream of fake news, spread on social media, had convinced the Crusaders that America was in a state of emergency. Stein believed that the presidential election was rigged against Donald Trump, and that the Muslim Brotherhood had seized control of the government. Even if Trump somehow managed to win, Stein was certain that President Obama would immediately invalidate the results and declare martial law. United Nations tanks had already been sent into southwestern Kansas to subdue the populace. Everyone was in on it—from Obama to Attorney General Loretta Lynch, “even getting down to the local government.”

Such conspiracy theories, Robinson observed, weren’t just emanating from fake-news outlets. In the days before the election, the Republican Party had been mailing out election flyers in Kansas attacking Democratic candidates for “moving terrorists to Kansas.” In a high-profile speech on August 4, Trump himself warned that terrorists from Somalia and other Muslim countries were scheming to gain entrance to the United States by posing as refugees, calling it “the great Trojan horse of all time.”

Yet another reminder of how dangerous that xenophobic and Islamophobic rhetoric is.

In some towns, however, such accommodations only served to further stoke the anger of American-born employees. At the Tyson plant in Emporia, Kansas, wild rumors began to spread—that the Somalis were carrying tuberculosis and contaminating the meat, that a group of Somali men had raped a female co-worker in an equipment closet. Outside the plant, there were stories that Somali women who refused to use tampons had dripped menstrual blood through the local Wal-Mart, that a riot of Somali men had broken out in a local parking lot, that a gang of Somalis wielding machetes had been seen outside the Dairy Queen. The Ayan Café, a Somali-run market and restaurant in Emporia, was frequently vandalized; in January 2007, armed gunmen attacked the store. Patty Gilligan, a spokesperson for the town, viewed the resistance to the Somalis as more than religious. “I can’t help but think their skin color had something to do with it,” she told reporters.

That's not even half of it. everyone should read the whole thing.

rjinaz

They're scum but part of me feels sorry, sometimes. They are clearly cut off from the wider world and just believe what they see on their patriotic news channels.

I wonder if they truly believe there is some sort of invasion by minorities and they're protecting they're homeland like some sort of Red Dawn situation.

That's exactly what they believe, and people like Hannity and Trump egg them on, though of course they'd deny it. They are breeders of hate, and eventually that reaches the right kind of individual that the hate can thrive within and consume.

I don't doubt it for a second. According to some Americans who have never left the country, maybe even their state, Germany a wasteland governed by shariah overlords. Never underestimate the stupidity of xenophobics.

Feel sorry for harmless racist asshats. People stacking ammunition to the very top of their ceilings simply shouldn't be breathing up all our air.

Beartruck

Love the detail that Allen was barred from owning guns, yet he ended up with dozens of them and a ton of ammunition. Gun laws, what are those?

bionic77

Glad the FBI caught this before it happened.

Scared because Trump doesn't want them looking into white supremacists groups any more.

sangreal

I seem to recall Fox News whipping conservatives into a furor over Tyson supporting their Somali muslim employees with holidays etc.

Police later estimated that the trailer contained nearly a metric ton of bullets.

Seeing as how this isn't a measurement we really use, I am imagining this exchange going like this:

"How much ammunition was found?"

"A metric shit ton"

RinsFury

Trump has given rise to a new wave of white terrorism. This is far beyond economic anxiety, this is frankly terrifying. He needs to be gone before this gets worse.

red731

Muslim takeover? You subhumans.

You are so afraid of all the Muslims, generalizing all the people, that you forgot that you are the death of your country.

Jintor

really good journalism and props to the police chief

it's interesting the way the meatpacking industry basically bubbled immigrant/refugee labour in these towns

RoyalFool

Banned
Muslim takeover? You subhumans.

You are so afraid of all the Muslims, generalizing all the people, that you forgot that you are the death of your country.

I think these sort of people would rather America be a failing white country, than have even the smallest chance of them becoming a minority in a successful America.

Fuchsdh

I think these sort of people would rather America be a failing white country, than have even the smallest chance of them becoming a minority in a successful America.

No, not at all. Because some of these guys have managed to convince themselves everything is the fault of nonwhites. There's no "failing white country" because it'd be a contradiction in terms to them.

Nepenthe

The real story there isn't the terrorist fuckwads, but how Garden City opened itself up to the various refugees with open arms, and how the police cooperated with the community in discussing the aftermath of the foiled attacks. I would also wager there's a story in its resolution that, despite this progress and kindness, the surrounding town voted for Trump 2 to 1 anyway. Like, you just had a bunch of white dudes plot an attack that would've caught you in the crossfire, and you still voted for a dude who said the Somalis are the problem. The cognitive dissonance of conservatives astounds. Regardless, I feel Garden City is a model of cooperation and mutual benefit worth emulating for all minority communities; would love to see this kind of outreach in black communities.

Gattsu25

Banned
Still reading through this now but...that's a shitty name for the article. I can see some people not wanting to share this on social media as a result.

*John Doe posts "The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim" by NewRepublic*

*John Doe deletes the post*

There's no reason to feel sorry. They chose hate, even if they were born into it and dealt with it from a young age they've willing chose to cut themselves off from anything that doesn't reinforce their views. It's 20 fucking 17 if you choose to use the internet in a manner that won't help you as a person and only for echo chambers of hate the fuck you.

How about the media law that Reagan removed. Then strengthen it for the modern ages.

Trump has given rise to a new wave of white terrorism. This is far beyond economic anxiety, this is frankly terrifying. He needs to be gone before this gets worse.

It isn't just Trump, it's the Republican party and their propaganda outlets on AM Radio and Fox News.

Sesha

Following bigot logic about Muslims, all white people should put out individual signed statements where they decry this sort of behavior and apologize. And wear t-shirts with prints of those statements at all times. Otherwise non-whites won't know that white people are sincerely against this form of behavior.

And then all white people need to send money as a form of reperation to everyone ever affected by white bigotry and bigoted violence. And then personally go after every bigot. And then also somehow stop being white.

Top Bottom