• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI foils Kansas militia terrorist attack on Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJLC

Do these kind of groups ever get called what they are, terrorists? Militia means a very different thing.

Yeah domestic terrorist organization. They seldom do call them that because most organizations quickly disavow those members caught.

For example look at the Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols they were part of the Michigan Militia an organization that still exists today. The Michigan militia claimed he was an outcast and they kicked him out of the organization.

Some militia members of a different organization were arrested recently for plotting an attack on Law Enforcement and federal buildings. They won in court and got all their weapons and explosives back, they still exist today.

Wouldn't this militia group = terrorists? Or is that not the definition?

They're terrorists, yeah. It just seems that, despite being pro-gun, anti-government, racist, redicalized religious extremists, the media has a hard time calling them for what they are. Some of these nutters even have their own communities and strongholds out in the midwest. Fortunately most of them are happy just playing dress up and soldier on the weekends, so they are not as big a threat as they could be.

JackDT

This is getting seriously underplayed. Their plan was to use four parked cars to blow up an apartment complex killing 120 Muslims on the day after election. Specifically to 'Wake People Up'.

"Make sure if you start using your bow on them cockroaches, make sure you dip them in pig's blood before you shoot them," Stein said in a conference call recorded by the source.

The reference to pigs blood echoes a incorrect fable about General John J. Pershing, who mythically dipped bullets into pigs blood before using them to kill 49 Muslims. Donald Trump is fond of telling on the campaign trail.

Pictures of their facebook feeds:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/787060282073899009

On the day of the election you say? Hmmmm.....I wonder what the connection is. Could a certain candidate be responsible for energizing this racist group to commit these horrendous acts.....

Codeblue

This is why this election is scary. Trumps dogwhistles about watching the polls, the election being rigged, "2nd amendment people" being able to do something and all that is going to get minorities killed. Glad the FBI found these people early.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
White people should be banned from America.

They are terrorists.

Am I doing this right?

You forgot "There's something going on.".

Damn. Well done the FBI for stopping this, and I hope these bastards are locked away forever. They're no different from the terrorists who attacked Paris or Belgium and should be labelled as such.

What do you call a white terrorist again? Criminals? Or was it something even more tame?

'Militia group'.

KDR_11k

Domestic terrorists. Why give them the dignity of calling this a militia?

Militia means there's more of them. Also there's plenty of militias that are just racists attacking minorities, I think in any place that's not a warzone and not the US that term rings the alarm bells.

wildfire

Banned
On some level I'm glad many people decided to turn this into a joke thread because this was distressing. 120 people could've died and for what?

Jumeira

Banned
Definition of terrorism is to make an ideological point through violence against civilians. This plot fits this definition perfectly, and it's important not to treat this as anything else as it shows the threat is not just from foreign or brown people. Also disrupts the language used by extreme right who use tgw term terrorist exclusively to target all Muslims.

Maajid Nawaz explains it quite well in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=q2s_n6St1OI

His opening point is that there are some liberals that will not speak against bigotry in minority groups because of a desire to defend multiculturalism at all costs.

I don't think you understand it's application. Majid would label this accurately as terrorism, you seem awfully concerned about protecting its usage against non Muslims. It's not semantics either, it's cut and dry.

Just paints you as a hypocrite for not being consistent and actively refusing to apply it to people who fit the criteria because it tears apart your personal understanding which your struggling with at the moment.

White supremacists didn't exist before Trump? I know the guy is a grade one tit but trying to pin everything every nutter in America does on him is probably pushing it.

I think this is being disingenuous. Racists existed in the UK before we voted to leave the EU, but the actual act of the vote and the Leave side winning emboldened a subsection who felt their views had been legitimized by the voting process and they could finally be more vocal about their beliefs.

This the same. White supremacists did exist before Trump, but his running and winning the primary legitimised his politics and beliefs and in turn emboldened a group who felt they were righteous in their actions.

redlegs87

I am all for stopping terrorism and all but I have a hard time trusting the FBI. There have been stories such as this one about them pretty much entrapping people. Not to say this is the case here though.

The fact that those guys had it in them to even think of doing something like this is sickening though. Can't wait for the right wing people to just ignore or say it's not terrorism or anything of the sort.

Furyous

FBI needs to address all of these radical christian terrorists. GAF we need to come up with a name for these terrorists. When will the Republican party acknowledge their existence? It sucks that christians are plotting to kill hardworking people that worship differently. Watch these terrorists hide behind religious freedom as an excuse.

Derwind

I am all for stopping terrorism and all but I have a hard time trusting the FBI. There have been stories such as this one about them pretty much entrapping people. Not to say this is the case here though.

The fact that those guys had it in them to even think of doing something like this is sickening though. Can't wait for the right wing people to just ignore or say it's not terrorism or anything of the sort.

But how can you have a war on terrorism if sometimes the enemy combatants look like friendlies? We have to make clear distinguishing markers that separate "us" and "them".

mclem

Not once in that article do they call it terrorism. Wish I could say I was surprised.

But they weren't successful, it was only attempted terror. Now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom