• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Uber self-driving cars ordered off roads by California DMV due to multiple errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Then they are dicks, but the jury is still out on whether a human was driving at the time of these incidents.

Uber could very easily release the car's logs to prove that a human driver was in control, but hasn't. Until they provide that proof there's not much reason to believe them.

Kathian

Banned
It would be so terrifying to be in a crosswalk and see a driverless car bearing down on you.

This is why the software solution is so stupid.

I'd feel much safer if the Executives of these companies were the ones who will get done when they go wrong. Their the dangerous driver. I highly doubt it.

Bregor

Then they are dicks, but the jury is still out on whether a human was driving at the time of these incidents.

To be honest, I'll take their assertion that a human was at the wheel at the time of these accidents at face value. It doesn't matter. Unless the human is at the wheel 100% of the time they shouldn't be running these vehicles in California without a license. If one of their vehicles is involved in an accident, whether their fault or not, and they don't have the appropriate license the blowback will be enormous.

Cartman86

Banned
Uber needs to release the records and they should have gotten a license. They are morons and are potentially ruining this for everyone. That being said the two sightings i'm mostly seeing are from Lyft and a standard cab driver...of course they are going to report on Uber and of course Uber is going to say it was the drivers fault. Again they need to be transparent.

We really just need all self-driving car companies to come together under a single consortium/association already. We have companies like Uber who are far behind making Self-Driving cars look bad, we have companies like Google so far ahead they should be in the hands of the public next week and we have everybody in between.

Get a consortium going, share the tech, develop a standard so all the cars can speak to one another and when it comes to the all important money, just divvy it out based on the percentage of components that get implemented.

I totally believe we both need self-driving cars as soon as they're viable, and they're bound to make mistakes early on, but I did get the feeling Uber had them out there a little too fast, considering the other companies working on it.

Again: Don't screw it up for everybody.

I must be the only one completely against self driving cars. I love driving, it's a fun hobby of mine, I guess I'd be cool with it as an optional feature.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I must be the only one completely against self driving cars. I love driving, it's a fun hobby of mine, I guess I'd be cool with it as an optional feature.

Why are you COMPLETEY against it? You do realize some people dont like driving, right? You also realize that anything that reduces accidents is welcome. So are you really COMPLETELY against it? No one is saying "make it a mandatory thing for all", though eventually insurance rates would move us in that direction, but not for an extremely long time.

Hari Seldon

Something tells me Uber is pushing this out because they need hype for investors even though it is years away from being ready.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The problem comparing with Google isn't just that Google is obeying laws, it's that Google is significantly further ahead than competitors. If we look at their monthly reports and their 'disengagement' frequency, it's incomparable. Like, depending on how you measure, Google is something like 1 disengagement per 800-1200 miles. Uber and many other competitors are like... 1 disengagement per mile, maybe some are up to 1 per 10.

And it's not an apples to apples comparison, as some of these cars are driving on very easy roads with very few edge cases, and some (like Google) are in some cases, competing with pedestrians.

Maybe Tesla is a close second to Google, but they aren't as open with sharing their numbers.

MJPIA

Round one.

1-0c69324ef8.jpg

2-4aece949b9.jpg
VS
Finally, we understand that there is a debate over whether or not we need a testing permit to launch self-driving Ubers in San Francisco. We have looked at this issue carefully and we don’t believe we do. Before you think, “there they go again” let us take a moment to explain:

First, we are not planning to operate any differently than in Pittsburgh, where our pilot has been running successfully for several months. Second, the rules apply to cars that can drive without someone controlling or monitoring them. For us, it’s still early days and our cars are not yet ready to drive without a person monitoring them.

But there is a more fundamental point—how and when companies should be able to engineer and operate self-driving technology. We have seen different approaches to this question. Most states see the potential benefits, especially when it comes to road safety. And several cities and states have recognized that complex rules and requirements could have the unintended consequence of slowing innovation. Pittsburgh, Arizona, Nevada and Florida in particular have been leaders in this way, and by doing so have made clear that they are pro technology. Our hope is that California, our home state and a leader in much of the world’s dynamism, will take a similar view.

Let the squabbling commence.

Hari Seldon

Blaming this on the human is complete horseshit. If the car operates for two weeks straight without making a mistake it is definitely going to lull the driver into a false sense of security, especially if it is something as simple as a red light that it is probably stopped at hundreds if not thousands of times.

DOWN

Banned
Why are you COMPLETEY against it? You do realize some people dont like driving, right? You also realize that anything that reduces accidents is welcome. So are you really COMPLETELY against it? No one is saying "make it a mandatory thing for all", though eventually insurance rates would move us in that direction, but not for an extremely long time.
It should absolutely be mandated on public road as soon as autonomous cars significantly outperform humans in safety and accident avoidance

Glix

As much as I love to drive I am willing to give it up if it means all the idiots and assholes don't get to drive too.

kingocfs

Blaming this on the human is complete horseshit. If the car operates for two weeks straight without making a mistake it is definitely going to lull the driver into a false sense of security, especially if it is something as simple as a red light that it is probably stopped at hundreds if not thousands of times.

This is exactly why the concept of moving into full autonomy in "stages," where humans give up more and more control over time, is an absolutely terrible idea. This is what the federal government is pushing for.

Full autonomy or no autonomy.

Conspiracy hat: Charles, taxi employee, colludes with uber driver by filming him manually running red light to damage uber, their competition.

Probably not.

krang

"Our business is about operating cars, but we're getting overtaken by a search engine for self-driving cars. Shit! Cobble something together, quick!"

marrec

Banned
Lyft driver catches an Uber car fuckin' up, talks to the press.

This battle has just begun.

Some Lyft Drivers are also Uber Drivers are also Taxi Drivers.

Rode in one Uber who had all kinds of fucking stickers on the outside of her car and like, 4 different apps running at once.

Joni

You will have the option to drive on a closed track, but the minute this technology is perfected, human drivers should be illegal for new cars and expensive insurance for old cars.

kingocfs

Some Lyft Drivers are also Uber Drivers are also Taxi Drivers.

Rode in one Uber who had all kinds of fucking stickers on the outside of her car and like, 4 different apps running at once.

True, true. They're all in the same sinking boat, I suppose.

Crayon

You will have the option to drive on a closed track, but the minute this technology is perfected, human drivers should be illegal for new cars and expensive insurance for old cars.

That's worse than telling Americans to hand over all their guns.

Ryuuroden

SF city driving is hard mode. Might work in Pitt but SF has a dozens of information to track. There are even times on super busy Van Ness Street when homeless will cross an intersection in the dark of night. It's going to be a bumpy road until they get this right.

I'm guessing you have never been to Pittsburgh. The streets there are ridiculous due to terrain. Its also a pedestrian busy city with downtown arenas and multiple universities. Plus there are GPS black holes in various spots due to long tunnels. There are also lots of areas with 2 or more roads stacked on top of each other twisting to entirely different areas. This is due to the limited space for roads in an old city on multiple rivers and several mountainside of a sort.

I like driving too, but less deaths/injuries because of cars > my enjoyment

I guess I just don't like the idea of losing control over something like driving, I don't think I'd be able to completely trust a machine like a car with my life as crazy as that sounds. There's also the one story where the self driving car would put the life of the passengers first before anyone else including pedestrians. I'd like to think in that situation I'd rather crash and possibly die than to survive and kill some one else on the street. It's certainly for the best for all cars be self driving with the amount of bad drivers out there but I'd hate for insurance or any other kind of permits to keep driving older cars come into place or be able to only drive on a track. I guess I'm just too attached to my car. I treat it as an extension of myself, I fix every little problem myself and love working on it and not gonna lie I love showing off all the work I put into it by driving it around. I feel like an old man afraid of change lol.

Joni

The chance that you cause an incident would be way higher than the chance a selfdriving car ever gets over that position by the time this is really mass market.

That's worse than telling Americans to hand over all their guns.
It is like banning guns by stopping the production of bullets. They can do shit. Insurance companies will lose users so they are forced rip become more expensive while car makers will not want to put expensive shit like outside mirrors and steering wheels on their cars.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It should absolutely be mandated on public road as soon as autonomous cars significantly outperform humans in safety and accident avoidance

Ha. good luck, and you think taking peoples guns away would be hard! The best way to cause a mass switch will be from slowly rising insurance rates. Eventually it will be too expensive to drive your own car.

Helznicht

I guess the poor citizens of this nation who can neither afford a new car or "expensive insurance" will just not be able to drive to work. Shame but I guess they were not making that much anyways amiright?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I guess the poor citizens of this nation who can neither afford a new car or "expensive insurance" will just not be able to drive to work. Shame but I guess they were not making that much anyways amiright?

It obviously won't be illegal to drive manually until auto cars are as cheap or cheaper than regular cars

Sky Chief

Fuck Uber, autonomous driving is far too important for society as a whole to be sullied by them being total dicks. Haha, and oh it was the driver's fault? Lol, fuck you! I can't stand people who lie and blame others for their own fuck ups.

woodchuck

They should do a study to compare the rates of these accidents/infractions/near-Misses in Uber self driving cars vs the general population.

If the rates are not significantly different, I don't see a reason why the Uber cars should be removed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Uber doesn't have the brains or capital for self driving tech. They're ruining things for google and the rest of the competent devs

DOWN

Banned
Ha. good luck, and you think taking peoples guns away would be hard! The best way to cause a mass switch will be from slowly rising insurance rates. Eventually it will be too expensive to drive your own car.
You don't have to take away people's cars. Just stop allowing the sale of manual cars and eventually stop licenses and insurance for them. there's plenty of ways they'll shift to autonomy

Joni

This will not be an instant process, but I doubt insurance companies will care about poor people. And aside from that, things like Uber are working on cars as a service so you don't buy a car, you share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom