• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 USD PS4 that was even more powerful. Would that be better?

AHA-Lambda

We've had this topic before, and no it wouldn't the PS4 would then just be in the situation the XB1 was in. How is that better?

We should just be able to daisy chain them together for 2x, 3x, 4x, the power... they do look totally boss whilst stacked.
large.jpg

edit: I would definitely have spent another hundo for a better GPU & CPU.

Kura

Banned
PCs can't play console exclusives and they don't have access to games via the PSN store.

We have a winner.

Yes, I definitely would.
I think 500 USD is still a commpetitive price, and it would be a significant performance bump. Seeing what devs can do with a 400 machine, think about a 500 one. God...

Freeman

Banned
Shorter cycles using a similar architecture(that allows for backwards compatibility) is much more desirable than more expensive consoles.

Sanke__

I would have personally preferred it.

But its definitely better off the way it is.

I just hope no console lifecycle is ever as long as the 360/ps3 again.

ChipotIe

Banned
And if you had what you wanted, console exclusives wouldn't meaningfully exist. Sony wouldn't be spending huge sums of money to make games for a platform they don't have sole ownership of (including licensing fees).

Why not? How would modular or upgraded hardware change any of this? I'm not trying to get Sony exclusives onto a PC. I'm trying to get a more powerful Playstation console while people are suggesting that I go for a PC instead.

Well the cutscene we've seen is part of the actual game and NaughtyDog decided to make Uncharted 4 cutscenes realtime and not prerendered like in their previous games.
They also stated numerous times on Twitter that the game is going to look like that if not better.

Didn't the Watch Dog devs says basically the same thing?

riotous

Banned
I would have preferred it.

But I understand why Sony didn't go that route. I don't think they'd have been as successful.

I think the CPU will limit the machine as much as anything else; I can't imagine a game like Civilization fairing well on the glorified tablet CPU of these next-gen consoles.

Another 100$ on the GPU would put it into 7990 type class yeah? It is in the 200$ range GPU power wise so that extra room could of pushed it to 300$ GPU range like a 280x or something.

Oh well what's done is done, I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat though

Hunter S.

The sales would be a lot worse.Likely with a large loss for each console sold. Pretty dumb for the company. Who cares if you would pay for it still. Less people would.

Opiate

Why not? How would modular or upgraded hardware change any of this? I'm not trying to get Sony exclusives onto a PC. I'm trying to get a more powerful Playstation console while people are suggesting that I go for a PC instead.

How would it not? You said you wanted a modular console, not just a more powerful one. If all you want is a more powerful system that is $900 instead of $400, no problem. If you want the system to be modular, then things get significantly more complicated. Unless you also expect Sony to get in to the business of building their own GPU and CPU lines.

The sales would be a lot worse.Likely with a large loss for each console sold. Pretty dumb for the company. Who cares if you would pay for it still. Less people would.
Probably.

Only gamers will jump at a more powerful machine but for the rest of the audience, the Madden, FIFA, Call of Dudebro audience, I think $399.99 was the right price.

It paid off and it worked!

riotous

Banned
How would it not? You said you wanted a modular console, not just a more powerful one. If all you want is a more powerful system that is $900 instead of $400, no problem. If you want the system to be modular, then things get significantly more complicated. Unless you also expect Sony to get in to the business of building their own GPU and CPU lines.

Sony would control and sell the modules. It would not suddenly make the system a non licensed console.

And they would contract the module upgrades out to AMD just like they do the base design.

Furyous

I think $425-$450 is the sweet spot. Add extra gigs of RAM and call it a day. The RAM price should go down over time anyway.

When I look at Driveclub and Uncharted 4 and The Order I really can't say I'm disappointed with the Ps4s power.
I'd even argue that the best looking games will be found on Ps4 and not on PC next year.

No need to wait for next year.
Infamous SS looks better than anything on my PC

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No, because I kind of like Sony and don't want them to be forced to exit the gaming market.

Last gen was a warning about putting out a console box priced for the "This is Living" demographic.

The reality is that PCs have become much more attractive for general gaming over the last 8 years. Any mass market, well priced console device will now appear lacking to the power user, or people who simply want to know they have the best of everything.

Elios83

It would be useless, developers aren't even using the power of what we actually got because they need to support old gen consoles and development costs going up.
Most japanese developers aren't even trying and we're waiting until 2015 to get real next gen games.
Having more powerful boxes would be useless, it would raise the price but not the quality of the games.

Still I'd put in a more powerful GPU, something like a GTX680 and a CPU with about double the power of what we got (unfortunately the CPU is really the weak element in the new systems)

mclem

Every extra $100, you can add 3-6 months of dev time to take advantage of it.

(Well, no. That's not precisely calculated - but I do wonder if there's a correlation between component cost (and in turn power) and dev time of AAA content)

sono

No. Price performance is a key factor for volume sales of the platform.

The sales level of the platform means that it is credible for software houses to publish on and that is good for owners.

We are less than a year in and already some great titles and demonstrations of what this can do.

Nah, Sony exclusives are already 1080p and leaning towards 60fps. The only thing that could be improved is third party games and, as others have said, that's what PCs are for if you really care about what CPU and GPU are in the box.

riotous

Banned
It would be useless, developers aren't even using the power of what we actually got because they need to support old gen consoles and development costs going up.
Most japanese developers aren't even trying and we're waiting until 2015 to get real next gen games.
Having more powerful boxes would be useless, it would raise the price but not the quality of the games.

Still I'd put in a more powerful GPU, something like a GTX680 and a CPU with about double the power of what we got (unfortunately the CPU is really the weak element in the new systems)

False.

They haven't had time to take advantage of new architectures, but the basic features of the CPU/GPU are nothing new, and they'd be able to easily achieve better performance w/ extra options on with more powerful hardware.

Games that are locked at 30FPS might have been able to be released at 60FPS; games that are locked at 60FPS might have been able to have greater AA or AO or any number of other features enabled that the devs already have available to them in their engines.

Every extra $100, you can add 3-6 months of dev time to take advantage of it.

(Well, no. That's not precisely calculated - but I do wonder if there's a correlation between component cost (and in turn power) and dev time of AAA content)

Most PS4 games are on PC at this point with engines capable of doing more than the PS4 is rendering. With simply more power available and zero new features the games would get benefits at zero extra cost.

If anything it could make development cheaper, as less time would have to be spent to achieve the desired results.

riotous

Banned
Nah, Sony exclusives are already 1080p and leaning towards 60fps. The only thing that could be improved is third party games and, as others have said, that's what PCs are for if you really care about what CPU and GPU are in the box.

They could achieve 1080p/60FPS with more AA and other graphical features enabled.

1080p/60FPS is meaningless without taking into account what is being rendered. Games could be 1080p/60FPS on PS3/360 too.

Damaniel

Banned
Mass market adoption is more important than power, and the only thing that enables mass market adoption is a low price.

Sure, the games would look better on a theoretical $500 PS4, but there wouldn't be as many, because the install base necessary to justify said games wouldn't be present.

Also, as others have said, gaming PCs exist for people who aren't satisfied with the hardware performance of the PS4, and they can be bought at a wide range of price and performance points. That said, even early games are managing to demonstrate that there's lots of power to tap in that $400 box.

Opiate

Sony would control and sell the modules. It would not suddenly make the system a non licensed console.

And they would contract the module upgrades out to AMD just like they do the base design.

There's a reason that no such thing exists -- the licensing costs would be impossible. You see locked platforms which are proprietary, and you see modular platforms which are not proprietary, but modular platforms which are still proprietary is simply economically in feasible.Sony would end up paying AMD inordinate sums of money.

farmerboy

Shorter cycles using a similar architecture(that allows for backwards compatibility) is much more desirable than more expensive consoles.

Freeman is on the money. In 5 to 6 years we might see the ps5 and by then we'll get something with 10x the power at the same cost.

Till then, optimisations and the like will give us improvements over the next 3 years maybe the whole 5.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's probably the most perfectly priced console, features and power wise, so I wouldn't change a thing. Tho with their track record of quality PS3 exclusives, I absolutely would have paid more for the machine

riotous

Banned
There's a reason that no such thing exists. The licensing costs would be impossible. You see locked things which are proprietary, and you see modular things which are not proprietary, but modular things which are proprietary is simply economically in feasible.

I don't understand your logic. Selling a modular device doesn't stop you from charging game license fees. Not in any way shape or form.

I don't think a modular console is a good idea; but you aren't making any sense. Just because once every 2-3 years Sony releases a GPU upgrade doesn't suddenly stop them from charging licensing fees on their closed platform.

Modular doesn't have to be infinitely expandable; small scale modular upgrades (not unlike we've seen in the past with N64 for instance) would not be economically in feasable. What is your logic? All you are doing is spouting facts with no reasoning.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You must have a pretty old computer.

Nope it's pretty great. I can't get 60fps with newer stuff anymore but a locked 30 with high settings is still no problem. My point still stands. Infamous looks better

I would agree, the best looking game I have seen on PC was BF4 running on max settings (or close enough). Was not as impressive as infamous to me

Top Bottom