• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Months Later: How do you feel about The Phantom Pain's Story?

CHC

It's an absolutely awful, skeletal, non-story. The whole game was one of the biggest let downs in recent memory, probably the biggest since Deus Ex Invisible War. It did nothing to close the loop or answer any lingering questions, and the whole thing hinged on a dumbass twist that added nothing, and actually managed to undermine the meaning of the whole game.

So all in all, 6 months later I'm no less disappointed by how terrible it was.

dhonk

I have a really weird nostalgic feeling revisiting the game. Its a very flawed game, but theres a weird magic to it. I yearn for it to be more, yet it isnt. Very Kojima game after all is said and done.

Trojan

Story was a cobbled-together mess in my book. I've enjoyed most of the MGS plots on a meta-level, but I was legit skipping all the late game cutscenes in MGSV. The Skullface exposé to explain his world-domination plan in Act I was terrible story-telling, only to be outdone by the basically unfinished ending that plays out in Act II.

Gameplay was second-to-none which helped ease the pain of the rough story.

AAMARMO

Banned
Meh...

The game believes that its smart and deep because it can say its just like Moby Dick. With all the layers that Kojima added all we got was a convoluted, confusing and disappointing story. A heck of a game that pushes the bar forward. But a terrible MGS. Not that MGS stories were any good for a while.

But this is not the MGS2 it will get recognition after people understand it. haha

The best way to describe the game is the jeep ride. Its confusing... weird.. out of place... ending in embarrassing.
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I agree with you.

As much as I love the twist, I hate that everything revolved around fucking bugs, even going as far as to shit on MGS3 mythology too. It was like a parody of Resident Evil.
The tapes were hard to listen to, dry boring conversations about nonsensical parasites that give people superpowers and can destroy language.
What ever happened to Nano machines and Tech Scifi?

I still hate it, I still blame both Konami and Kojima for it, but I'm excited for Kojima's new stuff and still love almost everything else the guy's done.

Mexen

I like it just fine, same as I always did.

I think as time goes on, people will come to appreciate this game a lot more. Setting aside the online freemium bullcrap, MGS5 was a solid game.

Is it really appreciation or us die hard fans excusing Kojima-san's lackluster delivery and adding our own spin in order to swallow the "story"?

GT-Bosman.gif

A terrible farewell to a beloved series.

Blues1990

The gameplay itself is fantastic, especially with how you could tackle any mission anyway you see fit, and the way I see it, it's currently the pinnacle of what you can do in a stealth-action video game.

But for the narrative itself? It sucks. Not because "Konami didn't give Kojima Productions enough time to finish it." No, it's because the game adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the MG mythos.

Blader

I thought it was fine then, I think it's fine now. I like the ending even if the actual missions to get there could've been completely different/better. The Eli cliffhanger is kind of annoying, but mission 51 doesn't look it would've resolved all that much anyway, so maybe Kojima just flat out didn't know what to do with it.

Its clear still that Kojima didnt get to tell the whole story he wanted to tell. What we got was a disapointing finale to MGS

I don't think that's really true. The presentation of the story may have been unfinished, but I think Kojima mostly told the story he wanted to tell. The difference is that he wasn't telling the story that everyone thought he was going to tell and/or wanted.

MGSV isn't about the final fall of Big Boss and his turn into full-blown villainy, it's about Venom and the specter of already-a-villain Big Boss. In a weird, partly unsatisfying, but still kind of interesting way, Kojima still closed the loop on the series all the same, just not in the way anyone expected.

Also, it's funny to see how many people said MGSV killed the series for them. Hadn't MGS4 already done that for you guys? :p

What story?

Yeah, it'd help if I had more to comment on. It does have a story it's just grossly uninteresting, lacking anything interesting or engaging with terrible pacing. The nature of the open world layout makes it difficult to really keep a grasp on things and a lot of story details being on tapes with the idea that you're supposed to juggle concentration between them and what you're doing in the gameplay space was a terrible and boring method.

It was that or just sit there and listen. So engaging.

Ishida

Banned
The game disk has remained inside its case since I finished for the first (and last) time.

I have no intention of replaying this game ever again.

And I'm one of the biggest Metal Gear fans here.

brau

Is it really appreciation or us die hard excusing Kojima-san's lackluster delivery and adding our own spin in order to swallow the "story"?

its this and the fantasy that we can make up the gaps and make the story we want to make it work.

What is there is weak. Some people like it its fine. But it can't be heralded as a good script or story. Not even close.

But hey... imagination is what makes this story work. because we are not forced fed all the plot and we can use our creativeness to make the last chapter that we deserved as fans.

Nottle

I feel like thematically there is a lot there that people aren't seeing. Venom's story is great, the truth tapes story is great, Kaz's scenes are great, I even like Skull Face as a villain. This game saved some of my least favorite parts of MGS4 which is how Ocelot is acting as well as Zero's heel turn which this game gives some well done explanations for.

It is a bummer that Ocelot isn't as wacky (though i also think that is sort of serves as character development), as well as Eli sort of dropping off the face of the plot, and the lack of Snake talking is lame. Also screw having to do that hallway crawl in the hospital. The way that they should have handled that should have been you playing as the real Snake.

Ultimately it isn't a really interesting movie like the other games were but I find it to be an interesting character piece/ lore bridge. I enjoy the way it recontextualizes Big Boss's fall from grace. The whole prequel series painted him as this well intentioned superhero that had fun parties and really helped make the world a better place. When this game revealed he was a hypocrite that betrayed his own ethics to make the world the way he wanted.

Xbob42

Banned
I'm not even a big Metal Gear story fan and it was a monumental letdown. It had lots of tiny, cool implications, but from such a bombastic series that's not nearly enough of a reversal to counteract the loss of so much craziness.

I also think it wasn't helped by the world being so barren. People talk about it like an open-world game, when it's really just a sandbox game with a bunch of missions to choose from in an almost entirely linear order. The "open world" aspect of it is just that sandbox with jack shit going on in it when not on a mission.

It's kind of a big distinction, a sandbox is where you can use a lot of tools to accomplish your goals or just muck around for fun, and MGSV does that beautifully, an open-world game is where you have a "living" world and can completely ignore main stories, side stories, etc and just have a great story to tell about the quests you did and the people you interacted with. The only character interaction in MGSV outside of Mother Base is extreme violence.

Anyway, seeing that what was clearly going to be the best mission in the game to justify the building of Mother Base was cut was a punch to the gut, seeing that there might have been a third and final chapter to really ramp things up and finish the story as a whole was a punch to the nuts.

The game never grew into anything more than "This is fun to play." which is cool, I like my games to be fun, obviously, but... I like to have more than that, too.

KidB

The story itself is not bad, in fact it's kind of interesting, but the way it's told is terrible. The second act was atrocious and its only redeeming point is the
quarantine mission and the diamonds scene
. The fact that there's essentially no ending is extremely disappointing.
I really want to see a more streamlined game with the same mechanics.

Drencrom

Also, it's a crime that Sins of the Father was used for that stupid car ride.

Dammit, that's the offender here.

That still baffles me

Like, how the hell did they fuck up that? Amazing song used in the worst way possible in a completely anti-climactic manner.

Thought it was great, the cut Eli stuff was a shame but overall I was pretty satisfied with everything. I do wish some of the tale stuff had been cutscenes since they had some of them best material.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its filler. Not important to the overall saga at all. The story it does try to tell on its own, with Skullface using the language parasite to kill all English speakers, is not particularly interesting or well done.

The game can be pretty fun though.

Marvel

could never
The game disk has remained inside its case since I finished for the first (and last) time.

Likewise on all counts.

Don't think a videogame has ever angered me until V hit.

I don't regret playing it, but it is the most disappointing game I've ever played in my life.

Yeah for sure, the story is poorly paced and there really isn't much to it. The biggest offender for me though is how no character has any emotion or motive, Kaz is the only interesting character which is madness. I don't know how they made recurring characters lose their charm but they managed it, few characters feel needed.

Gator86

Meh...

The game believes that its smart and deep because it can say its just like Moby Dick. With all the layers that Kojima added all we got was a convoluted, confusing and disappointing story. A heck of a game that pushes the bar forward. But a terrible MGS. Not that MGS stories were any good for a while.

But this is not the MGS2 it will get recognition after people understand it. haha

The best way to describe the game is the jeep ride. Its confusing... weird.. out of place... ending in embarrassing.
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Yup, agreed with all of this. It's just dumb garbage unaware of the fact it's dumb garbage.

SkylineRKR

Also, it's a crime that Sins of the Father was used for that stupid car ride.

Dammit, that's the offender here.

One of the most awkward scenes ever created. I think they just couldn't find a scene to insert it, and since this game has pacing issues they just haphazardly put that ride in to get it to some finale at least. The mission itself was very good, but it needed context. And in the way this game is structured you wouldn't get such contexxt. So you get to the goal and they just tag along with eachother because there needed to be a big conclusion in a separate mission.

That still baffles me

Like, how the hell did they fuck up that? Amazing song used in the worst way possible in a completely anti-climactic manner.

No where else to put it and it was used to fill in the next five minutes of seamless open world jeep ride after Skullface ran out of dialogue.

Laputa_94

I liked it then and I like it now. Going in I expected a story focusing around revenge and Skullface. So when that was concluded everything else felt like extra and I really didn't care once I saw the cut mission. Its not the best story ever, but then again its Metal Gear and each one has their own faults.

T-Rex.

Banned
It's an absolutely awful, skeletal, non-story. The whole game was one of the biggest let downs in recent memory, probably the biggest since Deus Ex Invisible War. It did nothing to close the loop or answer any lingering questions, and the whole thing hinged on a dumbass twist that added nothing, and actually managed to undermine the meaning of the whole game.

So all in all, 6 months later I'm no less disappointed by how terrible it was.
Yup. It's the only Metal Gear Solid game (and I'm reluctant to even call it that) which I haven't bothered replaying. I just have no interest in revisiting it. I said it before, but prior to its release I was fully expecting it to be my GOTY... it then released and I wouldn't even have it in my top 5 of the year.

One month, six months, a year, five years, whatever... the game's story will always be a mess and a complete disappointment. At the very least, people usually let things go a few years before nostalgia and revisionism kicks into gear.

NZerker12

In terms of story quite forgettable. However gameplay wise it is not only the best MGS but the best stealth game made, which is a shame because overall it could of been one of the best games of all time had the story been MGS1 - 3 tier.

Drencrom

Yup, I kinda feel that way too sadly.

It's definitely not a bad game or anything. It's great for what it is and what it does but as a MGS game it's completely uninteresting to me and the whole structure of the game and it's campaign/story makes me less inclined to replay it over the more linear and narrative heavy MGS games with their themes, setpieces and moments.

Kazuhira

I don't know yet tbh,hard to tell what's real in the game with Venom.
The truth ending has so many inconsistencies that i don't know if it was rushed or there's more to it.
The story is so vague/open to interpretation that any theory is possible,it's almost like...dark souls i dunno.

SkylineRKR

This game has the worst replay value ever imo. But it wasn't a waste of money to me, because I did spend some 50 odd hours with it.

But no, there is absolutely zero reason to replay this game. There are only a handful of total stealth and substance missions and starting from scratch is unlike the shorter and narrative driven previous games just not an option imo. The old games give you a rating over the course of the whole campaign, I had fun with no k/d/a runs in MGS 2 - 4. I guess you can rush S ranks on every MGSV mission but its not the same and not really challenging nor fun. Doing all the side objectives feels artificial.

The open world gives you tremendous gameplay options but is just boring in general. I also don't like how Ghost Recon Wildlands is going to be open world.

I played through the story vital missions again just last week and nah. It's awful. The core ideas are there, but it never goes anywhere with them. Characters are lifeless and totally not interesting to watch (with the exception of Skull Face, but he was more of a caricature of a villain than anything else), the whole parasites angle felt like it would be at home in Resident Evil, not Metal Gear and the whole thing just arbitrarily ends with a repeat of the tutorial with an awful twist. I'm pretty sour still on MGSV and not even the fabled chapter 3 can save it.

The trailers were better than the game.

Top Bottom