• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days to Die |OT| Survial, Minecraft, CoD, Zombies, Play/Create/Share!

Is this game roguelike? Do you really have only 7 days in the game then it ends? I thought it was like mine craft where you can take your time and explore?

I think I am going to take the plunge on this. If it sucks, my daughter and I will enjoy it together (she is 11).

If anyone wants to add me up to try some multi at some point, add me to your friends list.

PSN: Filth_Flannigan

Is this game roguelike? Do you really have only 7 days in the game then it ends? I thought it was like mine craft where you can take your time and explore?

The way I understand it is you have 7 days to find and build up a base and get ready for a Zombie attack. After they attack, you have 7 more days to rebuild your base, get supplies and get prepared.

I assume that is the jist of it.

cchum

The way I understand it is you have 7 days to find and build up a base and get ready for a Zombie attack. After they attack, you have 7 more days to rebuild your base, get supplies and get prepared.

I assume that is the jist of it.

That's the game from me watching an hour or so of stream. Also explore and loot

Wtf is with the overheating mechanic? I'm hanging out in my house at night waiting for morning, can't sleep by the way (because thats not something humans do apparently), and I can't do anything without getting a message about overheating.

So after the basic quests, last one you do is build a fire. Then it stops. Is that all for quests and from there on out its just build,etc? I do like that even when you die you keep all your skills and lvls.

Wtf is with the overheating mechanic? I'm hanging out in my house at night waiting for morning, can't sleep by the way (because thats not something humans do apparently), and I can't do anything without getting a message about overheating.

I know there's one biome that's a burnt forest and will cause you to overheat pretty quickly. If you're not there, then it's probably just too hot and you have too much clothing/armor on so you need to remove something.

So I played a lot of co-op last night (on xbox). Got to day 9. Spent 5 days exploring/dying and building a small house to prepare for day 7. We mostly had bows & clubs but we did find a pistol and parts for various guns. On day 6 we finally found a town with a police station, a lot of houses, and a hardware store but didn't have time to loot. On the 7th night, the zombies came and tore apart the doors and walls of our house. Some zombies only broke the bottom block of wall and crawled into the house to attack us. We didn't survive, but now we've transferred our loot to the police station and will explore the town next time.

So far, i'm enjoying it.

Linconan

Has anyone got a pic or vid of the Dynamic Theme that you get aswell?

Mines downloaded (Digital) but all locked up till tomorrow.
The display pic when downloading shows a sample, but sometimes the display pic looks nothing like the actual Themes people get

Does the Hard Copy come with the Theme aswell?

I love the concept so I'm tempted to buy this tonight. From the streams it looks a little janky but I don't mind that. I've enjoyed some games in the past that got horrible reviews.

I just love exploring random towns trying to dodge zombies and find better loot. Hopefully the randomly generated maps are fun.

grmlin

For all the people complaining about the lack of a sleep mechanic.

You will not have any time to sleep later on in the game. You'll craft a shitton of things in the night.
Furthermore, implementing sleep would be incredible difficult with the game being a multiplayer title. No idea how you would do that tbh.

Regarding the alpha status of the game: on PC it's at least a beta, if not more, if you ask me. It runs really well and you can get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it if you like the survival/crafting/loot centric gameplay.

I'm really ambivalent about getting this on PS4, I wish there was a demo.

Splitscreen Minecraft is one of my favorite coop experiences ever, and we like zombie shooters, so I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on this, but I'm wary of the early access state of the game.

For all the people complaining about the lack of a sleep mechanic.

You will not have any time to sleep later on in the game. You'll craft a shitton of things in the night.
Furthermore, implementing sleep would be incredible difficult with the game being a multiplayer title. No idea how you would do that tbh.
First of all I'm playing a single player offline game so it wouldn't matter. Second you could do it in a private game at least, like Minecraft make it so everyone has to get into a bed to activate sleep.

jond76

Banned
Drank some toilet water and now I have the squirts. I love that there's an icon for diarrhea. I'm holed up in a house at night waiting to die.

Also, I found a treasure map and could not find the treasure. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough.

Oh, and I had stage 2 heat stroke.

ironcreed

Banned
Drank some toilet water and now I have the squirts. I love that there's an icon for diarrhea. I'm holed up in a house at night waiting to die.

Also, I found a treasure map and could not find the treasure. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough.

I did the same, lol. I love the overall concept, but the overheating, cumbersome inventory and not being able to venture out for more than a few minutes to explore is really killing it for me. I am thinking that I would be better off picking up something like The Long Dark, which I really enjoyed the demo for.

grmlin

First of all I'm playing a single player offline game so it wouldn't matter. Second you could do it in a private game at least, like Minecraft make it so everyone has to get into a bed to activate sleep.

Sure, if you play it offline it would be possible, of course. The Forest does it for example.
But 7 days is build around multiplayer and was part of the game from the very beginning, as far as I know. Maybe there are technical reasons for that now.

Other games suffer from these types of restrictions, too. Bloodborne for example does not have a fucking pause, because online whatever. I play it offline for a reason and can't pause the game. Insanity !!!

But anyway, as I said, it's only a problem in the beginning.

I think I have to give up on this one. It has a lot of potential but I have so many problems with it. The tutorial is awful and doesn't prepare you for playing the actual game. Movement is incredibly slow. I hate that you can't sleep at night. Overheating is a dumb mechanic. Combat is unsatisfying. I wish it was less crafting and more finding cool stuff. Like I have yet to ever find a gun in this game, or normal food worth eating. The menus and inventory are a mess. The graphics are terrible which would have been acceptable if everything else was on point, but it's not.

Honestly I think I'd rather play Minecraft or literally any other game in my library.

Commander Kook

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit on PS4, but talk about a baptism by fire. I've already had to start over with a new character, and I'm constantly using Google for things that should have been explained in a tutorial. Still, had a great time last night looting an adult theater during a thunder storm, then running back to my shack with a sprained ankle while being chased by dogs.

Only 3 days left until the first zombie attack. Better start digging a trench. And add a roof to my house. Looks weird without one.

cchum

Tell me more

Okay so, after a couple of days of playing the game I guess I'll give people some sort of idea as to how good or bad the game is.

Realistically, I'd like to point out that I usually hate purchasing any sort of early access game despite how good it may look. I bought 7DTD due to a sense of curiosity and because I had 3 other people who were down to play it.

Right now, I really enjoy the game. It has it's weird quirks such as the absurd rough launch it had. However, there are frequent times where the game tries to load while you're playing so you will freeze for a good 5 seconds or so and then continue on with what you're doing. It's pretty annoying at first but you can get used to it.

In terms of gameplay, the menus are sort of annoying to navigate and figure out but once you do figure things out, you sort of get it memorized. It's weird how you share waypoints (such as putting the location you'll live in on the map) plus how you actually track your friends on the map.

When it comes to getting resources and creating your base, which could be done by taking any building you walk into and calling it home. You sort of get materials and learn the importance of not going so far. Sometimes however, the eating/thirst/overheat mechanics are all annoying and come at inconvenient times.

Besides that, spending $27 to have a ton of fun on multiplayer has been more than worth it considering my friends and I haven't stopped playing it. I can't really give a say on single player but I can see it getting repetitive. The whole Day 7 Night Horde thing isn't really big on the first Day 7 according to people (which is true), I don't know about Day 14 though.

[EDIT]

To go into depth about the mechanics such as Diarrhea (mentioned two posts above) and so on.

You overheat, quickly. You have to usually take your armor off because too much walking can generate heat which rises fairly quickly plus the world can be hot. Jumping into rivers cools you down very quickly.

The thirst/eating mechanics happen often and it usually occurs when you actually do too much work such as dig dirt and so on. However, like someone mentioned you can get diarrhea or something because you ate something infected. If you don't fix it by taking pills or something, it'll last for 2 hours real time. Same goes with injuries, you can speed up the healing timer by getting bandages and so on.

The building mechanic really does work in your favor, too. You're able to basically take any house apart and remove things or add things outside. My friends and I made a house with a barn across the street (literally). I managed to build a basically military grade defense with log spikes reinforced everywhere and now we're working on the barn. It's really fun to see how progress is made over time.

I kind of wish there was character creation in this game, it would make it a little more immersive. I saw a post about guns above this post (I don't know how many up) but to throw it out there, you have to find the blueprints and the parts in order to build the gun. Zombies on Day 7 (at night) will drop gun materials such as ammo according to people. Yes, the graphics aren't all the great but if you're one of those people that can get through a game without really caring about the graphics fully, then yeah you'll be fine.

The combat's alright, it feels like it takes forever to kill one monster because well the beginning weapons all suck so ganging up on the monster (such as a dog) will help obviously. Uh, on top of that in case people didn't know you have to create a bone shiv to get animal skins. But yeah, that's some information that my friends and I managed to figure out (if we're wrong on something please point it out, information is helpful). Anyways, I hope all this information helps on people who are on the fence about the game.

Cronee

I'll answer some of the questions going around here and fill in the blanks in some other areas that may not have been brought up.

Dysentery (or diarrhea as someone called it) comes from drinking water from unclean sources, such as toilet water, river/lake water, or water in containers labeled as murky. This debuff drains your stamina. Depending on your skill levels, this drain is negligible until you start running, punching, using tools, or anything that uses stamina. If left untreated it turns into advanced dysentery which increases the stamina drain and adds a health drain. Stage 1 can be cured by drinking goldenrod tea (the gold or yellow colored plant) or with vitamins, while stage two can only be cured with antibiotics.

The overheating mechanic does suck at times but there are ways to counter it. The cowboy hat or plant fiber hat, the bandana, and the shades (sunglasses) all offer negative insulation values which work to cool your character down. All three can be worn at the same time and in total, I believe you can get a sum of -20 to insulation. You can craft the plant fiber hat (which is the only craftable cowboy hat) as well as the bandana (which requires cloth). The quality of these items does NOT increase their insulation values.

Cloth, leather, animal hide, and scrap iron armors (leather armor requires a recipe for each piece of armor and scrap iron requires a book before you can craft them) all have positive insulation values and should primarily be used in colder biomes. However, iron armor (which requires separate recipes for each piece) has negative insulation values.

You can also make chrysanthemum tea (the red flowery plant) which gives a buff to reducing player heat for a period of time. Alternatively, stay in shady areas or go inside to cool down. Avoid the burnt out biome (the one where the ground is burnt and nearly everything is smoldering) until you have iron armor or plenty of tea, this area is brutally hot. Sadly, riding the minibike does not cool the player off.

As for guns, you must learn the recipe first before you can assemble a gun from parts. You can find completely assembled gun throughout the wasteland and depending on your skill levels, its overall value and the value of it's parts will vary. I believe it is possible to remove a part from a fully assembled gun without having learned the recipe, however, doing so will render the gun useless. Gun parts used to be craftable but that changed a while ago, so now they must be found. Zombies can drop fully assembled guns, though the cop zombies have a much higher chance. Bloated zombies and cop zombies have a high chance of dropping ammo as well. Gun parts are best found through locked safes, especially gun safes, or in crates found at Shotgun Messiah (a gun store that has a chance to appear in towns on random gen worlds).

I HIGHLY recommend that people change the in-game day length to 2 real life hours. This gives you MUCH more time to venture out and explore the world without having to worry about trying to make it home before dark. I didn't really pay attention, but on the PC version there is a option to make the day 90 minutes, which is a nice boost to day length if two hours is too much. You can also change the ratio of day/night time to shorten the amount of time spent/wasted cowering at home defending your base. I think 16 is the default, which makes night last from 2200 to 0600 and changing that to 18 makes night last from 2200 to 0400. You cannot change the time at which night begins, unfortunately, and I'm not sure if it actually makes the sun come out sooner or not.

Idontbeatgames is correct about the bone shiv, though to start you can get a small amount of materials from animals with the stone axe. I believe the only thing you DON'T get is animal hide. You can also get animal fat (don't ask me why) and bones by carving up zombie corpses (or any corpse, really). I recommend doing this to any and all corpses as when they "decay" they leave divots in the ground and that's just plain annoying =(. Also, always carve up the wasps as they give you honey which can be used to sure most, if not all, stage one infections that would otherwise require antibiotics.

I think this still applies but I can't remember. It's more beneficial to build your OWN house/base away from any prebuilt house/installation/city. The reason has to do with zombie spawning and the bedroll. In areas that are NOT part of the prefabs (towns, camps, houses, etc) a placed bedroll creates a no-spawn zone that prevents zombies from spawning within a certain radius. To reiterate, this does NOT work in prefabed areas. Your giant walls wont mean SHIT if they can just spawn in behind you after you turn your back.

That's all for now, if you have any questions I'll be back to try and answer them.

EDIT:

OH! DO NOT put a splint on a sprained leg. It only makes the debuff last longer. Only splint broken legs. This was apparently changed a while back and I missed it. You probably should splint a sprained leg as it has the same movement penalty while adding protection against re-spraining, or reseting the sprain debuff. Before, the sprain had a shorter duration where as the splint debuff was longer.

The first 7th day horde isn't bad but shouldn't be taken lightly. The hordes have a chance to spawn with all zombie types, even those not normally found in certain biomes. Every 7th day thereafter, they grown in size and have increased chances of spawning harder zombies (ie: those fucking dogs, screamers (which summon MORE zombies), cops (which spit acid and after taking enough damage, charge and blow up), ferals, etc). The 21st day horde is enormous and may take ALL NIGHT to fend off.

This is a good write-up, appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll answer some of the questions going around here and fill in the blanks in some other areas that may not have been brought up.

Idontbeatgames is correct about the bone shiv, though to start you can get a small amount of materials from animals with the stone axe. I believe the only thing you DON'T get is animal hide. You can also get animal fat (don't ask me why) and bones by carving up zombie corpses (or any corpse, really). I recommend doing this to any and all corpses as when they "decay" they leave divots in the ground and that's that plain annoying =(. Also, always carve up the wasps as they give you honey which can be used to sure most, if not all, stage one infections that would otherwise require antibiotics.

OH! DO NOT put a splint on a sprained leg. It only makes the debuff last longer. Only splint broken legs.

The first 7th day horde isn't bad but shouldn't be taken lightly. The hordes have a chance to spawn with all zombie types, even those not normally found in certain biomes. Every 7th day thereafter, they grown in size and have increased chances of spawning harder zombies (ie: those fucking dogs, screamers (which summon MORE zombies), cops (which spit acid and after taking enough damage, charge and blow up), ferals, etc). The 21st day horde is enormous and may take ALL NIGHT to fend off.

Okay cool, good to know I was right. Great write up too! It's also good to know about the splint thing and knowing that it masks the debuff last longer. I'll spread that info to my friends.

One thing Im not seeing mention that I think goes a long way, a character you create in that instance/world continus to gain levels and skills, even after death. So your always improving your characters skills. Also in the options can make it so you don't loose all stuff upon death. A great feature.

jond76

Banned
One thing Im not seeing mention that I think goes a long way, a character you create in that instance/world continus to gain levels and skills, even after death. So your always improving your characters skills. Also in the options can make it so you don't loose all stuff upon death. A great feature.

Yeah, definitely gonna make where I keep my loot. Hate having to weave grass pants everytime.

This game is far from perfect, but there are a lot of things to do. After 2 days in the game, I am really enjoying it. It is really fun, and can really set up some creepy encounters on your exploring adventures. So far, I am enjoying it.

I am hating the little framerate hitch/freeze that happens all the time. Reminds me of Fallout 3 on PS3 when it would auto save. I hope they can clean that up, its jank.

I get my base set up in an old house after the first night, second day go out and find that Burger and Shakes shop, now I think that would be a bit better suited with concrete walls and the such.

Do people actually build their own bases from scratch? Or just work on existing structures like houses and shops and upgrade them? I am wondering what is best, a small man made metal hut or taking a store or shop and starting from there.

This game is far from perfect, but there are a lot of things to do. After 2 days in the game, I am really enjoying it. It is really fun, and can really set up some creepy encounters on your exploring adventures. So far, I am enjoying it.

I am hating the little framerate hitch/freeze that happens all the time. Reminds me of Fallout 3 on PS3 when it would auto save. I hope they can clean that up, its jank.

I get my base set up in an old house after the first night, second day go out and find that Burger and Shakes shop, now I think that would be a bit better suited with concrete walls and the such.

Do people actually build their own bases from scratch? Or just work on existing structures like houses and shops and upgrade them? I am wondering what is best, a small man made metal hut or taking a store or shop and starting from there.

Yeah that freeze is annoying and should be fixable, hopefully very soon.

I'd say for your first game just take over an existing building and expand on it a bit if you want, to learn the mechanics and whatnot. Especially if you're playing alone. In co-op you could probably build an entire building no problem. I'm playing alone just for the pause feature.

Does anyone know where to get The Walking Dead skin pack?? They said it's a pre-order bonus but I can't find it.
Or is it exclusive for digital version only?? Because I bought the physical copy and there aren't dlc code in the box or anything in character selection.

Yeah, I took an existing house and just fortified everything around it including a barn which I plan to make an actual base of operations sort of. However, yes the game is far from perfect but it's really enjoyable.

jond76

Banned
I'm really bummed about the bug where loading a single player save gets stuck on the "building environment" phase. Hope it gets patched soon.

jond76

Banned
How often? I've yet to see it.

So far every time I try to load. I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on this game so far, but if I quit out and come back later I can't load my save.

My diarrhea guy is stuck in a save so I had to spawn a new game. I logged off with this guy on top of a rock. Hopefully I can get to him later

Does anyone know where to get The Walking Dead skin pack?? They said it's a pre-order bonus but I can't find it.
Or is it exclusive for digital version only?? Because I bought the physical copy and there aren't dlc code in the box or anything in character selection.
Good question, usually Best Buy emails you the preorder bonus code but I never got one.

So my first 7 Days were a horrible, exciting, fun disaster.

I started night 1 in a small house I fortified for the night. The next day, I venture out and find a Burger and Shakes shop and spend the next 6 night getting it ready for the 7th day.

I put two rows of spiked logs around it, fortified the doors and windows with steal, and I was ready. Well, the 7th night comes, I am within a room in my base, and I hear them all outside, moaning, screaming. I am just laying low, hiding inside. Well, I start hearing things breaking and crumbling. Low and behold, here they come right through the wall in my room. This is a brick building, and they tear through the wall like in Thriller or something (come to find out, there were two areas in my spiked log wall that broke down and they funneled in that way) I try to run out of the room to the front of my base, and they are coming through the door. I am screwed, and there I die. I proceed to spawn near my bed, duck down in some bushes, and watch my place continue to get ransacked until morning. None of them detected me chilling about 100 yards form my base, crouched and watching.

The next morning I run in to get them to chase me out so I can clear out my base to get my stuff back. Now I dont know what to do, try to rebuild the base upward with a tower and bridge design with a moat around the outside? Just build it stronger, and go with an underground lair? Move on to a new place? Start a new game? It was fun, and I was cracking up watching 7 days of work just get destroyed.

If they could get just get rid of the freezeup/framerate hiccup issue.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
Girlfriend and I both bought copies yesterday and played quite a bit.

Really fun with some minor annoyances.

• We didn't spawn anywhere near each other so I had to run to her coordinates
  • Was unsure of how to upgrade things or turn on a flashlight I found, but figured it out through google and trial and error.
  • She placed a bedroll but ended up dying and re-spawning far away in a random place again

I got so into it that I lost track of time and had to quit and go to bed right before day 7.

It has it's problems but I can't wait to get home and play it some more.

Would recommend.

GodofWine

I got so into it that I lost track of time and had to quit and go to bed right before day 7.

It has it's problems but I can't wait to get home and play it some more.

Would recommend.

This seems to be the general consensus, my copy delivers today, I can't wait. I can deal with technical issues, I played a lot of early SA Dayz, so anything is tolerable.

Top Bottom