• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days to Die |OT| Survial, Minecraft, CoD, Zombies, Play/Create/Share!

GodofWine

how are the controls, gamepad on PC is butt cheeks

I'd say they are OK, I'm getting used to them. At first it was rough, but I acclimated to the weird sensitivity

I must say, the game is fun, I've only played a little, but the concept and gameplay elements carry it past its technical shortfalls.

Linconan

This is a Love Hate post from me..
Good game, poorly executed.

Cant even load a game now as i'm have constant errors ffs.
Why should i even invest my time with this when everything feels like its Average and Below.

Graphics, ok. I can deal with that. They're not bad.
Animation, meh. Gets the job done i suppose.
Hit detection, huh. What did the Developers go on a lunch break and never return.

Overall, i'm not recommending this to none on me mates.
Maybe down the track as i love the Concept of a Survival Crafting, but not atm.

not like this.gif

Some helpful impressions and tips, but I'm still really torn. It looks and runs like dog shit (basing this on a few YouTube videos), but I do love the idea of open world, crafting and zombies. I bought Ark on Xbox One, and while I liked it, it was too rough to really get into properly.

If it was 15 notes I would definitely give it a try, but I'm hesitating. Will try and see some more gameplay and impressions and make my mind up after work.

pots555

For those who have it, I'm curious to read how it runs on the Xbox one. I will get my copy next week, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

GodofWine

For those who have it, I'm curious to read how it runs on the Xbox one. I will get my copy next week, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can speak from PS4, it runs OK, having played aot of early access DayZ, to me this runs fine for the genre. The draw distance is low, I'd probably make that my first wish for improvement.

The controls are not bad, navigating the craft menu isn't hard, there is a little 'snap to' in the buttons in there which really helps. You will get used to the sensitivity in gameplay inputs, its a little harsh at first.

There is a micro stutter every two or 5 minutes, it doesn't bug me as much as some.

Frame rate seems solid enough, I've yet to live to day 7 to see the big horde thougb.. Its not COD, its not Uncharted, but its not far off from what most games in this genre of early access survival are at.

I'm am looking forward to playing a lot of this over the weekend.

Commander Kook

Neo Member
I'm beginning to enjoy the game quite a bit now, so much that I think about it constantly at work, planning my next improvement to the house and character. Totally worth the price of admission thus far.

Starting to get a little worried about the first horde though. I reinforced the house with iron, and dug a trench with log spikes around the whole place, but I feel like that may be insufficient now. Only 24 hours until it hits.

Gold_Loot

Some helpful impressions and tips, but I'm still really torn. It looks and runs like dog shit (basing this on a few YouTube videos), but I do love the idea of open world, crafting and zombies. I bought Ark on Xbox One, and while I liked it, it was too rough to really get into properly.

If it was 15 notes I would definitely give it a try, but I'm hesitating. Will try and see some more gameplay and impressions and make my mind up after work.
If rough edges are what's turning you off, you may want to wait until a later build is released.The game is full of that low budge jank. Make no mistake though, this is a good game. once they make a few more passes, or there's a good deal down the road, I would jump on it for sure.

pots555

I can speak from PS4, it runs OK, having played aot of early access DayZ, to me this runs fine for the genre. The draw distance is low, I'd probably make that my first wish for improvement.

The controls are not bad, navigating the craft menu isn't hard, there is a little 'snap to' in the buttons in there which really helps. You will get used to the sensitivity in gameplay inputs, its a little harsh at first.

There is a micro stutter every two or 5 minutes, it doesn't bug me as much as some.

Frame rate seems solid enough, I've yet to live to day 7 to see the big horde thougb.. Its not COD, its not Uncharted, but its not far off from what most games in this genre of early access survival are at.

I'm am looking forward to playing a lot of this over the weekend.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to start playing.

Dragoshi1

Got the 2 pack for 15.99, jumped into a private game with my brother, and we had fun, until a weird glitch happened on his end that rendered him unable to loot anything or even exit the game via the pause menu. I had to end the game myself to boot him to main menu, and then his mouse cursor was invisible.

On my end, his playermodel was pulsing between a dark blue texture and a brick-like texture. Eventually it stopped and went back to normal, but dang.

Otherwise, we found some suburbs with a TON of houses, but got ate by a pack of Zombie Dogs.

SomTervo

£30, are you fucking joking me?

I hear others like "it's $30" and I'm like "this sounds perfect for me and the GF to play split screen" then I get on the store and £30.

That's like $50. Sorry, can't justify it.

The first and last 2 screenshots in the OP are VERY outdated. Some of those zombies don't even exist anymore and were replaced with HD models. It's not an amazing looking game, but it's certainly not bad for one with a near fully destructible world. It's got a little jank here and there but I still think it's by far the best game in the genre. Well, other than Ark maybe but they each do different things really well.

jond76

Banned
Still getting such at the building environment screen when returning to a save. Shit bums me out

Edit: OK, found a workaround in the forums. If you are stuck on that building environment screen, restart the game and at the start menu, go to options and choose a different character. Then your save should load.

Dragoshi1

So put a solid 3 hours into it today, again playing with a sibling.

We established a base of operations, and got to work constructing a spiked perimeter around the house we found. I double layered it, and am surrounding it with even more spikes. I don't know if zombies can climb ladders, but there's a small ledge with one I built so we can get in and out without DYING.

Next, we needed water and food, but the nighttime was going on and on. I died of thirst, but respawned back in my bed on top of my stuff.

During Day 2, I tried to trick a Bear into running into all of my spikes, but the damn thing plowed right through them and mauled me, before chasing my bro into the hills, eventually it gave up.

We finally found a source of water right before the sun went down, and stocked up. I also killed me some pigs, made some nice stuff and cooked food out of 'em.

And that's where we left off, in our newly fortified home, that we also outfitted with a flatscreen TV we found.

And ignoring those bugs from before, I am really loving this game.

This game is so fucking buggy and busted on console it's really all sorts of criminal that TellTale is allowed to have released it in such shape. Should have been a Game Preview title on X1 and delayed until alpha-state games are allowed to be sold on PS4. Shit is in dire need of immediate fixes for the server issues, game save corruption, and generally shit performance on both platforms.

Stay away from these console versions until meaningful patches addressing the game-breaking issues are released and confirmed to work, IMO.

GodofWine

This game is so fucking buggy and busted on console it's really all sorts of criminal that TellTale is allowed to have released it in such shape. Should have been a Game Preview title on X1 and delayed until alpha-state games are allowed to be sold on PS4. Shit is in dire need of immediate fixes for the server issues, game save corruption, and generally shit performance on both platforms.

Stay away from these console versions until meaningful patches addressing the game-breaking issues are released and confirmed to work, IMO.

Ive only played single player so far, and haven't had game breaking issue. Three different worlds going all between day 5 and 23.

To me, its no less a technical mess than early DayZ was, and I played that for 200+ hours, in a lot of ways this is polished next to that game was (DayZ is worth looking at again post the v.60 update).

Fingers crossed I stay lucky, but I'm quite enjoying the experience so far. Its the first game to break my rocket league addiction!

Commander Kook

Neo Member
The only game breaking bug I've encountered so far is the game crashing, which has happened four times in the last 15 hours of private co-op. It was always the host too. Apparently switching characters can fix it, but not in our case.

There are other bugs of course, including the horde not showing up during the blood moon. I'd still recommend the game as long as the buyer knows what they are walking into.

Dragoshi1

Made it past the 7th day Bloodmoon, it was INTENSE.

They all came from a singular direction, but my traps worked! Pitfalls and rows upon rows of spikes helped; Only a Spider Zombie got all the way to the House, but my bro took it out as soon as it reached the roof where we were observing.

It was awesome, I even dug out an underground emergency bunker just in case everything went to shit.

What was really nerve-wracking was the giant bug we saw in the distance that circled the area like a vulture, before flying off in a direction.

Can't wait for the next Bloodmoon!

newsguy

Made it past the 7th day Bloodmoon, it was INTENSE.

They all came from a singular direction, but my traps worked! Pitfalls and rows upon rows of spikes helped; Only a Spider Zombie got all the way to the House, but my bro took it out as soon as it reached the roof where we were observing.

It was awesome, I even dug out an underground emergency bunker just in case everything went to shit.

What was really nerve-wracking was the giant bug we saw in the distance that circled the area like a vulture, before flying off in a direction.

Can't wait for the next Bloodmoon!

I read stuff like this and I feel like I should get the PC version of this. Sounds so cool, like in Left 4 Dead when you and your friends would plan before the huge guy would come at the end.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Day 35 and one of the gun cabinets I made to hold my various gun parts just disappeared. :( Managed to get it back by restoring my last cloud save, but lost about two hours of playtime as a result. Not the worst thing that could happen I guess, and definitely doesn't discourage me from playing, but it's still a bit of a drag.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm not a fan tbh. Far too rough around the edges with too many bugs and questionable design decisions... why do I have to equip all my clothes again every time I die... what purpose does it serve!? Also going on supply runs sounds great in theory but pointless when there's nothing exciting or unique to loot. Why cant you see your coop partner on the map/radar? Hitting zombies on the head 20 times with a stick isn't fun either.

The potential for a good game is there somewhere but it's no where near ready enough today. Worth about $10 in my opinion.

This and Umbrella Corp have been deleted off my hardrive. Two poor games in a row... my own fault for pre-ordering admittedly.

Dragoshi1

I'm not a fan tbh. Far too rough around the edges with too many bugs and questionable design decisions... why do I have to equip all my clothes again every time I die... what purpose does it serve!? Also going on supply runs sounds great in theory but pointless when there's nothing exciting or unique to loot. Why cant you see your coop partner on the map/radar? Hitting zombies on the head 20 times with a stick isn't fun either.

The potential for a good game is there somewhere but it's no where near ready enough today. Worth about $10 in my opinion.

This and Umbrella Corp have been deleted off my hardrive. Two poor games in a row... my own fault for pre-ordering admittedly.

But you can, though.

Hit Tab, head to the last tab where it shows everyone on the server, click the little Plus icon you'll see in the person who you want to add as an ally, and then click the checkbox to track them, putting their icon on the map for you to find them, make sure you tell them to do the same.

As for the Zombies, they're tough, and it depends on your gear, perks, and skill level.

I poured my points into being a Tank, and I have a reinforced iron club, so it takes me 2-5 hits to down a generic zombie, and about 6-10 hits to down a Fat Zombie for example. Fat Zombies have a larger health pool than a generic.

And, the game is sort of a rouge-like, hence the clothes thing.

Shift Click all your clothes back onto your character, takes seconds, tops.

Hostile_18

Banned
But you can, though.

Hit Tab, head to the last tab where it shows everyone on the server, click the little Plus icon you'll see in the person who you want to add as an ally, and then click the checkbox to track them, putting their icon on the map for you to find them, make sure you tell them to do the same.

Ah that's good to know, thank you. It's a shame the tutorial wasn't a bit more in depth.

Well then don't use a stick. use bow & arrow or a bone shiv.

Yeah still difficulty is one thing but a repetitive action of hitting something over and over just isn't fun. If the club's are so ineffective it's pointless even having them in the game in the first place.

Mr Clutch

Man, gamecentral did not like this:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/05/7-days-to-die-review-undead-on-arrival-5987378/

called it half broken and patently unfinished and gave it 2/10

Well...they're not wrong. The game is terrible bug/glitch/sound/graphic-wise. Buuuuut, I had a lot of fun with it this weekend. Creative mode is really cool and playing with your friends prepping for that 7th day is awesome. That 7th day comes and the hordes run at you is some kind of rush! I still do hope they fix some of the bigger issues.

SomTervo

Contrary to my previous post, the promise of a solid co-op minecraft alternative was too good to pass up. Bought.

This game is fucking brilliant. Minecraft meets State of Decay.

Me and my girlfriend have sunk hours in each night since we bought it - the two of us scavenging for food (found a lake for water after 10 days), building defences, making weapons and new tools, just generally lasting. It's so compelling.

I think what sets it apart from Minecraft for me are the zombie hordes. The "blood moon". Is it every 7th day they attack? The knowledge that if you jus sit tight and tread water (so to speak) you'll be destroyed by the next horde gives 7DtD an edge minecraft doesn't have.

I love Minecraft, but once you set up your house, your lights, your farms, you can basically stop playing. You'll last forever.

In 7DtD you WILL die if you don't constantly maintain your defences and build new ones. You WILL lose hours of progress if you're not careful.

It has a really annoying 1 second freeze that happens every few minutes. Other than that it seems to run well. I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah that's the only thing majorly bothering me with this atm.

Welp. The game refuses to stop crashing everytime I try to load me and my brother's save file. The overheating is an outrageously annoying bug (I assume it's a bug), which is causing me to constantly drink almost all my water.

I guess I'm gonna take a break from this game until it's a bit more patched.

Which sucks, because what I played was really engaging and stressful at times.

There was a moment where me and my brother was trying to walk a single direction to find some town or whatever, which then lead to it being night time. The only source of light was the torches we had, and we hadly to slowly walk the whole way so we were prepared to make a run for it if a zombie spots us.

Then a couple zombies found us, which led to my brother getting killed. Thankfully I was far away enough from him at the time, so the zombies didn't notice me. I then decided to wait in a single spot, torch in hand, headphones on at high volume, waiting for him to come back.

That was probably one of the most stressful moments I've ever had playing these kinds of games. Hearing all the creepy ambience all around me while all I had was a torch, an axe, a shitty club, and a bow with a few arrows. And just standing in a single spot waiting.

G-Bus

Banned
Got the game refunded through Playstaion support.

Friend of mine has been hounding me to pick it up. I think we managed to play for 20 minutes together one night between the constant crashes and disconnecting issues. Not to mention the atrocious frame rate problems when using a vehicle and random stuttering.

I'm not sure why they priced this game at $40. Kind of ridiculous imo.

Fwiw the game has yet to crash even once in single player for me in 20+ hours. Hopefully that means it's a minor problem that can be fixed quickly and easily.

Dragoshi1

During today's session, my bro and I found a hut in the center of a lake, on beam supports, and we made it our scavenging base of operations.

Zombies can't swim, although they can walk along the bottom of the lake, but we're so high up, they cannot reach us!

And to make it even better, I found a ROCKET LAUNCHER inside a weapon crate that was here, with 4 rockets to use.

And, across the lake on shore, a house had a weapon's locker that had a completed Shotgun with a bunch of ammo!

So now, we have unlimited water to drink, and if it gets unbearable hot, we jump in the lake, safely out of reach of zombies.

The old Motherbase is also now fully encircled by fences, walls, trenches, and rows of spikes, and is currently the safest damn place in the world.

Tyrus

Banned
Does anyone know if Iron Galaxy/Telltale have said the console versions will get content updates and not just patches?

New patch out on PS4 says bug fixes.

pullmebackin.gif

Is this game cross platform between Xbox and PC?

No.

Patch vastly improves the freezing, at least playing solo, in my experience. They're less frequent and the ones I have had are a quarter of a second instead of the full second or so before.

Well the game no longer crashes whenever I try to load my world.

Looks like I'm back in.

Hopefully they fixed the overheating too.

SomTervo

Dragoshi1 said:
Zombies can't swim, although they can walk along the bottom of the lake, but we're so high up, they cannot reach us!

So now, we have unlimited water to drink, and if it gets unbearable hot, we jump in the lake, safely out of reach of zombies.

Beware: the zombies can and will find your lake-cabin's "legs", and will attack them until they break.

And unlike Minecraft, unsupported buildings/constructions in this game WILL collapse.

Perhaps being over water will negate that but i dont imagine it will. There's a chance your whole cabin might collapse entirely in the middle of the night/blood moon.

Get reinforcing.

Dragoshi1

I was contemplating that, I mean, when I dive underwater, the supports are so thin, the Zombies don't really attack them, but I see what you mean.

I'll spike trap the lake floor!

Is there a way to make diving tools, to extend breath time underwater?

pots555

So, it's been raining for two days straight. The second I go outside to fortify my base or get some wood, hypothermia. Then, temperature goes up. No medication. I have not died once from the zombies but the heat and the rain just keep on killing me. I mean, I was overheating, got into the river and nothing. My core temperature just keeps going up.

Any advices? I have not gone exploring much because I have been working so hard on my main base. Other than that, I love the game but it's tough.

Thanks in advance for the help.

daevv

Weird. I'm having a hard time finding the physical copy of this game in Canada. I can order it from an few sites but to go out and get the game at EB Games or Walmart is not an option. Want to play it this week as I have a few days off, may have to go the digital route.

pots555

Weird. I'm having a hard time finding the physical copy of this game in Canada. I can order it from an few sites but to go out and get the game at EB Games or Walmart is not an option. Want to play it this week as I have a few days off, may have to go the digital route.

I had the same problem. Nowhere to be found. Ordered it from Amazon.

Top Bottom