• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 months into the year. What's your GOTY so far?

Dolobill

1. Destiny (Alpha and Beta)
2. The Last of Us (probably halfway through)
3. Infamous Second Son
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Shovel Knight

Destiny will win overall, but it's possibly Smash could reach the number 2 or 3 spot.

Edit: Honorable mentions go to Transistor and South Park. Also, Infamous and MK8 are kind of a toss up really. Hard to say which I liked more.

LOCK

My Top 5:

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Infamous: Second Son
4. Shovel Knight
5. Strider

I'm still working on a few games. Wolfenstein will make my top 5.

Wolfenstein

Still have so many other contenders to play (Divinity, Ether One, The Fall, Eidolon, Unrest, etc) but man...

Loving the hell out of Lovely Planet right now!

lovely-planet-trailer.gif

Either Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, or Mario Kart 8.

Though, those are also the only 2014 games that I've played. Hah. Pretty much every other game I've bought this year is 10~20+ years old, mainly NES and Genesis games, with some SNES,TurboGrafx-16, Saturn. and PlayStation 2 games thrown in for good measure.

The only other 2014 game I have is an Xbox One copy of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes that I got for $5 two weeks ago at GameStop, but I don't actually have an Xbox One to play it on yet.

Freddo

The 2014 games I've played so far are Among the Sleep, Child of Light, Divinity: Original Sin, Drakengard 3, Moebius: Empire Rising, R-Type Dimensions, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shovel Knight, Strider, Talisman: Digital Edition, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (currently playing the PC version, never played the PSP version) and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Out of these I probably enjoyed Shadowrun: Dragonfall the most.

I intend to play South Park, Transistor, New N' Tasty and CounterSpy in the near future too, hopefully they are enjoyable.

BPoole

It was Dark Souls 2 but now it's Divinity: Original Sin. I don't see anything else changing that this year.

Renekton

Dark Souls 2 for me, beating out Divinity.

Still a long way to go... Evil Within, DA:I, Destiny, Hotline Miami 2, etc

Vidpixel

This person gets it.

TLOU Remaster shouldn't win GOTY again just because it got higher res textures and a higher framerate.

I get what you're saying, but it's just one person's opinion on a forum... It's not like someone like me is giving it Game of the Year on a major publication/website or anything. Plus, it's my first time playing it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Guys, these are just opinions. There's no wrong answers.

Lightning Returns is a wrong answer.

Probably Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for me, it's been a year to play old classics more than new titles.

Mozendo

Trails in the Sky first chapter by far.

Other 2014 games I've played are Divinity: Original Sins and Watch_Dogs, but honestly I wasn't feeling them.

ZehDon

Gold Member
...Would have to be Wolfenstein for me. Just a fantastic campaign all around; I remember damn near every second of that game...
I have to agree. It's the current gold standard for this generation of shooters, in my opinion. Nothing else has impressed me as much as it has. So many memorable moments and sequences, too.

I said god damn.

AkIRA_22

I owned it on PS3 but work/life prevented me from really getting stuck into it. But TLoU is my GOTY so far. However I can see Destiny taking the cake by years end.

I'd have to say that my top three of 2014, as of now, are Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dark Souls 2, and Deus Ex: The Fall. I know that I will get shit for throwing The Fall in but I honestly love the game. Sure, it isn't nearly as large nor as responsive as Human Revolution but the atmosphere is fantastic. I'd be willing to wager that if the PC port wasn't so horrendously half-assed people would have higher opinions of it.

Wolfenstein and Child of Light. I loved the hell out of both of those games.

Transistor and PvZ Garden Warfare also deserve mentions though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd probably say South Park, although unless I actually go back and finish the game I won't be voting for it as I don't like to vote for games I haven't completed. I see a few people have mentioned The Last of Us: Remastered and on that note I'm expecting some debate over whether or not higher-res textures and 1080p60 constitutes enough of a "significant upgrade".

TopGun

Banned
I get what you're saying, but it's just one person's opinion on a forum... It's not like someone like me is giving it Game of the Year on a major publication/website or anything. Plus, it's my first time playing it.

I'm talking more about a media stand point. Lord knows IGN and Kotaku will give TLOU Remaster GOTY awards again.

If you, the consumer, never played the game before; it's fine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Best platformer since Mario Galaxy. On top of that, it looks incredible, has insane attention to detail and a great soundtrack. Don't expect anything coming out to top this.
2. Wolfenstein: TNO. Best shooter campaign since Bulletstorm
3. Dark Souls II. Not nearly as good as the original, but still a fine game.
4. Mario Kart 8. Online is a blast
5. A Story About My Uncle. Fun first person platforming for fans of Mirror's Edge, very underrated

Oh and if episodes count, put Kentucky Route Zero Act III as my n°3. KR 0 is shaping up to be something very special. I can't wait til all acts are out, so that I can recommend it to everyone

120v

Dark Souls 2 so far... I find it kind of hilarious how this is supposed to be a "lesser sequel" even though it arguably isn't as good as the first

major caveat though, I haven't played wolfenstein yet

Top Bottom