• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8.4 mil PS4 shippeds during Oct-Dec 2015

Biff

Oh looks like i'm way late lol.

Well, i said if they will ship 8 million i will eat my PS4", NOT "if they will ship OVER 8 million".

So i was right. They shipped 8.4 million, muhahahahahaha.

Bad news, bro.

You said "8 million", implying one significant digit of precision.

8.4 rounds down to 8.

Get munching.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Bad news, bro.

You said "8 million", implying one significant digit of precision.

8.4 rounds down to 8.

Get munching.

giphy.gif

Good job Kaz, now all they need is another Walkman/iPhone like hit and the 90's Sony will be back. Mostly, I just want them to find more studios and keep making ND caliber games.

I wonder would PlayStation be different if Sony had MS or Apple money?

Mau is what MS is using instead of hard numbers in their reports. It stands for monthly active users

Ah right, thanks. I had heard about them doing that, but I didn't know it was referred to as MAU. They should just give some solid unit sales numbers. There's no shame in being second place. Sony spent all of last gen trailing behind Microsoft and Nintendo after all.

Sony must be super happy to know that the ps numbers are still high even with the decline of the ps3 numbers. The ps4 is just selling amazingly.

mejin

If I remember right Microsoft is innovating again since "Xbox Family" is something they left behind. We had numbers when it was Xbox Family, now it's just Maus everywhere.

Mikey Jr.

If Sony can have ps4 back compatibility, and introduce some great new ip this gen, then they should continue their lead into ps5.

Elios83

PS4 shipments are exactly where I expected them to be (in the 8-9m range) so no surprises here.
It was a great quarter for profitability with the whole group posting healthy numbers and the gaming division leading the way.
Kaz Hirai's restructuring is finally paying off, they've focused on the right things while trying to shield themselves in those business with high volatility (TVs and mobile devices). Stock is also up 16% atm so the market is clearly pleased with the results.

Crazy, if it stays on the momentum for a long time it might end up beating PS2 lifetime sales and become the best selling console.

Well I plan to contribute by buying the next PS4 with a cpu die shrink and better cooling system and/or slim model (if you can call it that with how small it is already).

Elandyll

Banned
We talking about Penello again?
Not in this case, but as you bring forth Mr Penello, didn't he say something like "I'll need some apologies from Gaf if the PS4 is more successful/ powerful than the XB1" back in '13?
Did he ever come back and talk about some of his own statements of back then? ("Invented DirectX" and the likes)

It's a bit surprising to see image sensors post a loss while mobile posts a profit.

Though it looks like the company as a whole posted a massive profit for the quarter so I guess it doesn't matter.

Losses in image sensor division is probably due to their purchase of that Toshiba sensor business.

wachie

Why not? An 8GB stack can produce 256GB/s of bandwidth which is more then the system presently has and it'd massively simplify to go to that from 8 chips on CPU I wouldn't expect it for about 2-3 years though to get the volumes up where'd they'd need them. .
It's not as simple as slapping a 8GB stack. AMD would most likely need to revise the memory controller, timings etc. It would be a new chip layout which can be done when moving to 16FF but I just don't see them doing both at once.

Xenus

It's not as simple as slapping a 8GB stack. AMD would most likely need to revise the memory controller, timings etc. It would be a new chip layout which can be done when moving to 16FF but I just don't see them doing both at once.

Oh I am aware timings and stuff would need to be adjusted as well as the interconnects. I just think the ultimate cost savings oer 8 GDDR5 chips and the PCB needed for that would be worth the effort. You could essentially end up with a not much bigger than a Wii PS4 if you wanted to in the last years which would be great for that magical $99 pricepoint they could never reach last gen.

Banned
Just putting that into perspective, it shipped in three months 76.4% what the Wii U has shipped in three years (11 million approx). Ouch.

PS4 lighting the world on fire except in its home country lol.

Top Bottom