• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8.4 mil PS4 shippeds during Oct-Dec 2015

onQ123

It weird how people seem to forget this and still continue with the "Motion Controls failed" non-sense.

With Wii , Wii U , PS3 , PS4 , Smartphones , 3DS ,Vita , Tablets & Steam controller IMU are more standard in gaming devices than dual analog sticks now.

Fun fact.

Revenue for games division:
FY 2015 (forecast): 1520 billion
FY 2002 (best year of PS2): 1004 billion

So while PS4 is not hitting the heights of PS2 when it comes to shipments of hardware games division itself is bigger than it has ever been by rather big margin. Profit record could be beaten next FY also.

truth411

Fun fact.

Revenue for games division:
FY 2015 (forecast): 1520 billion
FY 2002 (best year of PS2): 1004 billion

So while PS4 is not hitting the heights of PS2 when it comes to shipments of hardware games division itself is bigger than it has ever been by rather big margin. Profit record could be beaten next FY also.

Have to account for inflation to be an apple to apple comparison. Billions in 2002 is worth more back then, compared to billions today.

jjonez18

It definitely will, but I'm gonna say a good many of those followers probably already own a PS4.

I think so too. I wish when people post sales graphs, they'd show when Wii and PS2 leveled out, so we could get a better feel of things. I think we're not too far off from when Wii started it's decline (unsurprisingly, it happened in conjunction with the rise of iPhones). I think the success of PSVR will be somewhat of a contributing factor if PS4 blasts past Wii.

I don't know. Not many things comparable to Uncharted on the system. Just TLOUR, Uncharted Collection, and TR2013. It's hardware impact will be muted because April isn't the strongest of months, but I'm sure it'll be the deciding factor for most purchasers all the way through 2016.

Using the Sales Wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales: Wii has 2 more 20m+ shipped years left before it slows down. Put together 3 calendar years of >20m (2008-2010) in a row to eclipse 85m, then limped to >100m by late 2013.

Culex

Banned
Have to account for inflation to be an apple to apple comparison. Billions in 2002 is worth more back then, compared to billions today.

Maybe someone has a yen inflation calculator, but 2002: 1 trillion yen = 8.3 billion dollars

8.3 billion dollars is about 11.1 billion in 2016 with inflation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh I am aware timings and stuff would need to be adjusted as well as the interconnects. I just think the ultimate cost savings oer 8 GDDR5 chips and the PCB needed for that would be worth the effort. You could essentially end up with a not much bigger than a Wii PS4 if you wanted to in the last years which would be great for that magical $99 pricepoint they could never reach last gen.

Well, if they stay with AMD and they plan to use HMB2 and finfet for PS5, a PS4 redesign using both technologies could be the tick that further battle test the new processes to prepare for the new micro architecture, aka the tock, launching with PS5.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's fair enough I knew it wouldn't be ready this year or the next for that type of volumes. I guess we'll have to see if they start trending single stacks of HBM2 down towards low end cards in 2 or 3 years to see if it's possible.

... and as more people move away from GDDR5 the more process those modules will be.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So looking At this cycle vs last

PS3+X360+Wii = 82.5m (or so)
Vs.
PS4+XB1+WiiU = about 65m

= So we've lost about 17m total across the generations.

Interesting though is that most if not all of the degradation came from Nintendo

PS3+X360 = 37.7m
Vs.
PS4+XB1 = 56m or so

= Gain of about 19m

Wii = 45m
Vs.
WiiU =9m or so

= Lost about 36m

If we're not expanding the pie of console purchasers (meaning we aren't getting new people to buy consoles that didn't buy them last gen...which I don't think there's any evidence to believe we are getting new purchasers) then about half of the 36m lost by Nintendo went to PS4. A coupe million went to XB1. And the rest just stopped buying consoles and left or moved onto mobile or something else entirely

In terms of the market that publishers were targeting on PS360, titles which were not going to be Wii back then, the situation is a lot better with Xbox One+PS4 as the market is bigger by 19 Millions. The market did not shrink for them, it got quite a lot bigger.

Interestingly the thing that caught my eye in this report wasn't that mobile was back in black, but that a single mobile game app (Fate/Grand Order) was significant enough to warrant a mention in contribution to the music segment topline, and pretty much the first instance (as much as I recall seeing) that something like this has happened.

In case anyone is not in the know, Sony's music segment includes Aniplex in Japan, one of the bigger production/publishing house for anime mixed media projects. Anime, games, books and merch; they've got a hand in some of the biggest anime franchises around.

Xenus

Well, if they stay with AMD and they plan to use HMB2 and finfet for PS5, a PS4 redesign using both technologies could be the tick that further battle test the new processes to prepare for the new micro architecture, aka the tock, launching with PS5.

Pretty much it could be a proof of concept that they can build it in the numbers needed while cutting down on costs of the old system as well.

... and as more people move away from GDDR5 the more process those modules will be.

Yep It's always best to be on the memory technology that most of the production is going towards pricewise.

RexNovis

Banned
Isn't it the other way round? I thought that Japan had issues with deflation?

They did. Until Abe purposefully inflated their currency as part of his Abenomics program. Even with that though the inflation is below 5% from 2003 so it's not really that much of a difference.

onQ123

Not until April when their financial year starts.
17.5 predicted for year ending in March. Next year forecast will probably be something similar.

They are trying to keep pace with PS2 so I think they will try to move at least 20 million.

a price drop should happen some time in the next 4 quarters.

Now that Nintendo's results are out, here's some perspective. For the record, Nintendo sold 20,5 million amiibo figures during that period.

April-December 2015

PlayStation
Sales [1 236 billion yen | 10,2 billion dollars]
Operating Income [83,5 billion yen | 692 million dollars]

Nintendo
Sales [425,6 billion yen | 3,5 billion dollars]
Operating Income [42,4 billion yen | 351,3 million dollars]

Now that Nintendo's results are out, here's some perspective. For the record, Nintendo sold 20,5 million amiibo figures during that period.

April-December 2015

PlayStation

Nintendo

Nintendo should just get out of making hardware and use their toys to sell games. Have them interface with phones and other devices. Definitely not the product for me but it would probably make them a lot more money.

Nintendo should just get out of making hardware and use their toys to sell games. Have them interface with phones and other devices. Definitely not the product for me but it would probably make them a lot more money.

I completely agree. They really need to get out of making hardware for their future, because its not possible for them to gain 3rd party support like PS and Xbox in the middle of already started generation and handheld market is shrinking. So they better make use of already existing hardware from others to make software and release on it which will get more sales and profits than they get from their own platform.

ethomaz

Banned

April-December 2015

PlayStation

Nintendo
About the amiibo part...

How do you measure success?

Sony = raw numbers
MS = MAUs
Nintendo = Amiibos

:D

onQ123

I don't think people realize how good PS4 is doing.

at the end of this quarter PS4 will be around 40 million sold, that's close to half the sells of the PS3/Xbox 360 in just over 2 years on the market vs 10 years on the market. that's around 40 million with their 1st big exclusives just coming out over the next few months & only a $50 price drop from the launch price.

Sony hasn't even targeted the kids & causal gamers yet so when the price hit $250 & they're pushing the PS4 to a new market it could be doing 25 - 30 million in a year if it doesn't start to burn out 1st.

It weird how people seem to forget this and still continue with the "Motion Controls failed" non-sense.
Motion controls failed to be a dominate source of gaming input.

People made arguments that gesture based input was the next logical step towards game evolution. Having some motion functionality as an after thought isn't much.

onQ123

Posted?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...4s-console-sales-lead-over-the-2015-holidays/

console-wars-q4-2015.001-980x735.jpeg

I don't think people realize how good PS4 is doing.

at the end of this quarter PS4 will be around 40 million sold, that's close to half the sells of the PS3/Xbox 360 in just over 2 years on the market vs 10 years on the market. that's around 40 million with their 1st big exclusives just coming out over the next few months & only a $50 price drop from the launch price.

Sony hasn't even targeted the kids & causal gamers yet so when the price hit $250 & they're pushing the PS4 to a new market it could be doing 25 - 30 million in a year if it doesn't start to burn out 1st.

It's even better than that. The PS3 and 360 were subsidized at launch. The price of those consoles were 75% of their bill of material while the XB1 and PS4 cost more than their bill of material. If the PS4 and XB1 were subsidized at the same 75% rate of the prior gen they would have cost $279 and $343 at launch respectively. That in turn would have made them sell far more than they currently have.

Code:
                               Price if
                    Percent   Subsidized
Console  BOM  Price  of BOM    @75% BOM
=======  ===  =====  =======  ==========
  360    525   399     76%
  PS3    800   599     75%
  XB1    457   499    109%       343
  PS4    372   399    107%       279

Top Bottom