• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80 killed in Nice, France terrorist attack: truck into crowd, gunfire,"Stay indoors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Stranger-

Fucking scum pieces of shit
Might as well be worshipping the devil if they think their god wants them to mow down innocent kids.
Something more needs to happen to stop this, it's almost like terror attacks are a regular part of life now.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Careful with conclusions and speculations.
ISIS could be opportunists, french politics could be using this tragedy for their political games, medias are not any better feeding on silly rumors/voyeurism/shock value.

Hopefully the REAL people out there are the real humans we can believe, rely on and trust. In this tragedy, the wave of love, compassion and solidarity has been truly amazing.

The full list of victims is still incomplete but the first to be formally identified is here. Do not read if you are too sensible.
https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.nicematin.com/faits-divers/ils-sappelaient-yannis-michael-brodie-victoria-ces-visages-fauches-dans-la-tuerie-perpetree-a-nice-65003

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Still under investigation, nothing definite yet.
According to his relatives who were interrogated and the records on his phone, the possibility is there.

Madness

Has there been any evidence backing him being actually a terrorist other than Isis admiting to it?

You look up the universal and FBI definition of terrorist. Doesn't matter whether he actually belonged to ISIS. He was a terrorist. In the age of lone wolf attacks, the definitions between spree killer, mass murderer, and domestic or international terrorist are getting blurred though.

You look up the universal and FBI definition of terrorist. Doesn't matter whether he actually belonged to ISIS. He was a terrorist. In the age of lone wolf attacks, the definitions between spree killer, mass murderer, and domestic or international terrorist are getting blurred though.

Yeah I know, phrased it wrong. Thanks for the answers.

Jackpot

Banned
The Sun never missing the opportunity to go full racist.

sss.png

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ce-truck-attack-kelvin-mackenzie-fatima-manji

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Talking about discrimination...
Today, 3 f*cking days after the tragedy, on the place of the massacre, some ********** started telling a woman to get the f*ck out of "their" country, even if she was born in France.
DISGUSTED by such a shameful behavior, and its not an isolated case, it will certainly become more frequent in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIXdtsfccSg

Square2015

Update:
He was influenced by ISIS and interested in jihad
First signs of attack plans in Nice eight months ago
AFP
Fran Blandy
3 hrs ago
The first sign that the Nice truck attacker was planning something violent came about eight months ago, when he snapped a picture of a news story headlined: "Man deliberately rams car into cafe terrace."
Around the same time, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel showed a friend a video of a hostage being decapitated, according to Paris prosecutor Francois Molins, revealing details of the investigation to reporters on Monday.
"When (the witness) expressed his surprise, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel said 'I am used to it'," said Molins.
Unbridled sexual activity
Many people interviewed by investigators described the Tunisian father of three as "someone who did not practise the Muslim religion, ate pork, drank alcohol, took drugs and had an unbridled sexual activity".
However Molins said a "clear, recent interest in the radical jihadist movement" had emerged before Bouhlel rammed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd on Bastille Day in the Mediterranean resort city of Nice, killing 84 people.
However there has been no clear link established to the Islamic State group which claimed the attack, saying Bouhlel was one of its "soldiers".
Analyses of his computer and cellphone showed a wide-range of images and internet searches showing a fascination with violence and jihadist movements such as Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group.

Researched Orlando attack
From July 1 Bouhlel made near-daily searches for video of nasheeds -- religious chants used in Islamic State propaganda -- as well as videos of readings from the Koran.
He also looked for information on the fasting month of Ramadan which ended earlier this month.
In addition, he searched for information about the terror attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando that left 49 dead, and the Paris suburb of Magnanville -- where a police couple were killed last month.

Both were linked to the Islamic State group.
Premeditated nature
Bouhlel also had "very violent" photos on his computer, of corpses, fighters posing with the IS flag, photos of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden as well as Mokhtar Belmokhtar -- a former commander for Al-Qaeda's north Africa branch who has since formed his own group Al-Murabitoun.
There was also a photo of the cover of satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, where 12 people were gunned down by brothers in an attack claimed by Al-Qaeda in Yemen in Paris in January 2015.
Molins said the attack was "of a premeditated nature."
From July 1 Bouhlel had searched for information about the Bastille Day fireworks display online and searches such as "horrible fatal accident", "terrible fatal accident" and "shocking videos not for sensible viewers."

Religious beard
He also researched truck rental agencies and looked up the address of a weapons store.
He reserved the rental truck on July 4, around the time he stopped shaving his beard, one witness told investigators.
When questioned about his facial hair Bouhlel responded: "The meaning of this beard is religious".

After picking up the truck on July 11, Bouhlel staked out the site of the carnage on the Promenade des Anglais at 6 pm on July 12 when video surveillance showed him briefly stopping the truck along the road, and again at 10 pm on July 13, roughly 24 hours before he would launch his attack.

Taking selfies
On the day of the Bastille Day carnage he appeared to have spent much of the national holiday on the promenade, taking selfies on the beach and the walkway throughout the afternoon.
Molins said "instructions" from IS to its supporters abroad to carry out attacks "can lead certain individuals to take action in France without needing to go to Syria and without precise orders".
"Adhesion to these instructions, radicalisation, can happed even faster when aimed at disturbed individuals or those fascinated by violence.
"Either way, this is a terrorist act."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ths-ago/ar-BBusVdi?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

NEO0MJ

Wait, so if I'm reading this right he was originally a party animal who was radicalized in a little over a month?! How?

Alx

Wait, so if I'm reading this right he was originally a party animal who was radicalized in a little over a month?! How?

Religion doesn't seem to be really at the core of some of those newly converted terrorists, Abdeslam from the Paris attacks was also a known party goer. So was his cousin who helped organize it.
In the end it's more an "us vs them" situation than a real ideological war.

Condom

Being a Muslim is so exhausting nowadays...
Don't you live in Indonesia? At least your life isn't really affected then (apart from the rising fundamentalism).

If you live in the west every one attack is not only increasing your own fear for terrorism but also guarantees your professional and personal life gets a little harder.

At some point I expect people to be fed up and go full fascist against us because of these assholes. Since the situation is so complex that will be the only satisfying and quick 'solution' to the current situation.

There is nothing you can do about it either especially when many Muslims think that if they don't see terrorists as Muslim, that the rest won't either. Which is extremely naive and unrealistic. Also a lot of immigrants are so poorly educated that they themselves don't understand what is happening and just rely on conspiracies to explain everything.

People should understand that the native European population doesn't give anything about theology but just wants to get rid of the problem as quickly as possible and for an increasing amount of people the problem will simply be us Muslims. And to get rid of Muslims will mean getting rid of the problem.

To add to that we have kids thinking they'll be going to heaven and be holier than God if they just do what the IS propaganda tells them to do. How can you even stop that without having to slowly educate people to not fall for that crap?

spekkeh

Banned
Don't you live in Indonesia? At least your life isn't really affected then (apart from the rising fundamentalism).

If you live in the west every one attack is not only increasing your own fear for terrorism but also guarantees your professional and personal life gets a little harder.

At some point I expect people to be fed up and go full fascist against us because of these assholes. Since the situation is so complex that will be the only satisfying and quick 'solution' to the current situation.

There is nothing you can do about it either especially when many Muslims think that if they don't see terrorists as Muslim, that the rest won't either. Which is extremely naive and unrealistic. Also a lot of immigrants are so poorly educated that they themselves don't understand what is happening and just rely on conspiracies to explain everything.

People should understand that the native European population doesn't give anything about theology but just wants to get rid of the problem as quickly as possible and for an increasing amount of people the problem will simply be us Muslims. And to get rid of Muslims will mean getting rid of the problem.

To add to that we have kids thinking they'll be going to heaven and be holier than God if they just do what the IS propaganda tells them to do. How can you even stop that without having to slowly educate people to not fall for that crap?
I sympathize with your plight and for people like you I will always combat the slow lurch to fascism at every step.

But you do have the crux of the problem. Muslim immigration into Western Europe has been an influx of (very conservative) religion into a continent where 'doesn't give anything about theology' is an extreme euphemism. More like, 'were celebrating in advance the end of all religion'. This has been especially the case for the more moderate left and right wing voters, making them feel very uncomfortable about defending Muslims, outside of the extreme ends that have no qualms attacking them. And thus the extreme ends in all camps dictate the agenda.

It's a shitty situation. I think there needs to be a renewed appreciation that being better is a verb and not a predicate.

Religion doesn't seem to be really at the core of some of those newly converted terrorists, Abdeslam from the Paris attacks was also a known party goer. So was his cousin who helped organize it.
In the end it's more an "us vs them" situation than a real ideological war.

From July 1 Bouhlel made near-daily searches for video of nasheeds -- religious chants used in Islamic State propaganda -- as well as videos of readings from the Koran.

You say that the problem is the "us vs them" mentality, but it's precisely religion that unites the "us" to fight against the "them." That's the ummah. Combine that with the belief that what you're doing is justified in some spiritual plane, and it's a perfect recipe for terrorism.

Bulbasaur

Banned
If every depressed person went all carmaggedon I could consider it an anomaly but if your name is Mohammed and you choose to murder French children on Bastille Day you're an Islamic terrorist regardless of whether or not you have a beer on the weekend and a bacon double cheese burger.

Alx

In the case of the guy from Nice the religion is more of a propaganda tool than a real cause. He didn't become antagonistic because he was religious, but he became religious (sort of) because he was antagonistic.

zpiders

How the hell could this happen during a state of emergency. You would think given the circumstances (large gathering) that security would be tight. Beggars belief that this sicko could drive as far as he did. I think people of Nice are right to boo the establishment on this, heads need to roll.

2MF

In the case of the guy from Nice the religion is more of a propaganda tool than a real cause. He didn't become antagonistic because he was religious, but he became religious (sort of) because he was antagonistic.

Rationalize all you want, but the fact here is that nowadays one can take a news report of a "killing spree"-type attack in Europe and correctly guess that there's a high chance of the terrorist being named Mohamed and/or shouting Allahu Akbar before the attack and/or having been radicalized (if not supported) by ISIS infrastructure.

Besides, culture, politics, religion and lifestyle are so heavily intertwined in Islam that it's very hard to split apart religious influence from other reasons.

orioto

Good Art™

Most of the terrorists (at least in France) are more motivated by th need to destroy the society they're living in, and kill, and go to war, rather than religion beliefs. It's pretty obvious now.

The real link they share is pretty simple, they are all violent criminals, or have potential to be.

Again, i'll say it. The debae here on GAF is always about "mulsims this or mulsims that" when the question is not asked anymore in France. I mean this guy wasn't even religious. The attorney of the belgium guy said he barely knew the religion....

I can be wrong but we still didn't see the reverse, meaning a nice happy and harmless guy who did such a thing by religious influence.

zpiders

Most of the terrorists (at least in France) are more motivated by th need to destroy the society they're living in, and kill, and go to war, rather than religion beliefs. It's pretty obvious now.

The real link they share is pretty simple, they are all violent criminals, or have potential to be.

Again, i'll say it. The debae here on GAF is always about "mulsims this or mulsims that" when the question is not asked anymore in France. I mean this guy wasn't even religious. The attorney of the belgium guy said he barely knew the religion....

I can be wrong but we still didn't see the reverse, meaning a nice happy and harmless guy who did such a thing by religious influence.

There are plenty of violent criminals of all race and faiths, but it appears disproportionately that its only the Muslim ones that are doing the mass killings.

I mean this guy wasn't even religious. The attorney of the belgium guy said he barely knew the religion....

I mean, you can bury your head in the sand, but....

As someone who isn't religious, let me tell you the amount of nasheeds I search for online. Zero.

He was violent and had a few screws loose prior to his radicalization. I don't think anyone is denying that. But it's the spiritual cover, the promises of scripture, and the tribal groupthink provided by religion that ultimately led a regular idiot to turn into a mass murderer.

orioto

Good Art™
There are plenty of violent criminals of all race and faiths, but it appears disproportionately that its only the Muslim ones that are doing the mass killings.

Cause the mass killings are the influence of daesh and daesh targets those guys. But, the one who falls for it are justly, most of the time not really muslims. That should tell you something.

There is nothing you can do about it either especially when many Muslims think that if they don't see terrorists as Muslim, that the rest won't either. Which is extremely naive and unrealistic.

Cause the mass killings are the influence of daesh and daesh targets those guys. But, the one who falls for it are justly, most of the time not really muslims. That should tell you something.

Emphasis mine.

Appeased how? We could also simply pretend it didn't happen.

I'm talking about the way some people are trying to put the blame on Islam. Here in France the general mood is becoming terrible on this subject.
Appeased was perhaps not the good word, since english isn't my mother language. Of course it happened.

I'm talking about the way some people are trying to put the blame on Islam. Here in France the general mood is becoming terrible on this subject.
Appeased was perhaps not the good word, since english isn't my mother language. Of course it happened.

Well, isn't Islam to blame for this increase in religious radicalisation in our youth? Let's call a spade a spade and not engage in mental gymnastics to circumnavigate the problem.

Alx

Well, isn't Islam to blame for this increase in religious radicalisation in our youth? Let's call a spade a spade and not engage in mental gymnastics to circumnavigate the problem.

That's like saying football is to blame for the hooligan fights during the Euro. Because some people have a messed up perception of it and use it to justify violence, doesn't mean you can generalize to the whole religion/hobby.

Ric Flair

Banned
Indeed, but I'd also add that putting part of the blame on religion (of which Islam is the one with the worst consequences today) can be simultaneously believed along with the things you mentioned.
I strongly disagree with the notion that Islam has anything to do with the problems in the Middle East. ISIS would be carrying out these terrible attacks with or without a religious affiliation. Many times it has come out that these people are anything but religious and are petty criminals turned savage. There are countries where I would say human rights violations are deemed acceptable because of the Quran, but that's more a gross misappropriation of the words written on an ancient religious document and blame should be placed on the backwards minded men that run those government agencies and not the book itself.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Islam has anything to do with the problems in the Middle East. ISIS would be carrying out these terrible attacks with or without a religious affiliation. Many times it has come out that these people are anything but religious and are petty criminals turned savage. There are countries where I would say human rights violations are deemed acceptable because of the Quran, but that's more a gross misappropriation of the words written on an ancient religious document and blame should be placed on the backwards minded men that run those government agencies and not the book itself.

Really? ISIS is so popular because of their Islamic beliefs. They managed to recruit a significant part of disillusioned young muslims in Western Europe thanks to their extreme ideologies and salafist imams spreading their hate in European mosques. Also, a lot of the current conflicts in the Middle East (Iraq, Syria) have different branches of Islam on opposite sides, most notably Sunni and Shia. Saying that the trouble in the Middle East has nothing to do with Islam is ridiculous.

By the way, a book is always open for interpretation. Which is exactly the reason why there are so many branches of Christianity and Islam. Some choose to apply the content of their holy book in the context of our current liberal society, others take a more literal approach.

Joni

Turns out the guy made selfies on his test drive, and they included someone driving with him. Hope they catch that guy if he had anything to do with it.

Joni

Turns out 2 out of the 5 arrested suspects were planning to execute their own terrorist attack in August. The weapons mentionned in the text were meant for these suspects. The three others are just weapon dealers and the likes, who 'assisted' by delivering the weapons but not knowing about the terrorist plot.

spekkeh

Banned
That's like saying football is to blame for the hooligan fights during the Euro.
Of course that's not like that at all.

There are no decrees laid down by Omnipotent FIFA that you must bust in the head of your fellow man to achieve everlasting bliss in the afterlife.

If people killed each other over stamp collection, then you'd make a valid point that the stamp collection itself is likely not to to blame.

And at the same time if it happened on this scale, stamps would have been banned decades ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom