• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80 killed in Nice, France terrorist attack: truck into crowd, gunfire,"Stay indoors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Poor thing, all of you always condemn it but no one has ever heard about it from you. Words are not enough my friend, what you DO matters. And you have done nothing. All you do is flooding Europe with people who only use benefits. Want some statistics? I can provide them.

I bet you think all germans are nazis, don't you?

Markoman

Did they harm anyone? I meant the Christians? I come from a very religious country but no one ever killed someone other for having different religion or views.

So before the ban hammer drops on you, may I ask from which very religious country you are, so I can understand where your fears are coming from?

Edit: too late

And going by that last post, I lost all my interest for investigating the background of your reasoning.

Maybe you shouldn't be so defensive. Poor form.

I never said Muslim once. I said crazy people.

Crazy people are all different colors and right now Canada has been pretty good. Won't be long and the crazies will be here as well tho.

What's your basis for making that conclusion though?

If your logic is "there are Muslims they will eventually blow us up" without even considering any other factors except "they hate the west" then you're just a misguided person jumping on the band wagon.

Looking at the posters here though you'll be in good company

Poor thing, all of you always condemn it but no one has ever heard about it from you. Words are not enough my friend, what you DO matters. And you have done nothing. All you do is flooding Europe with people who only use benefits. Want some statistics? I can provide them.

What's wrong with you? I'm not even Muslim so you are not even directing this toward me, but I'm still offended by this post. You are generalizing the whole group of people and blaming something that had nothing to do with them on them. What's even the point? Do you hate them so much? There's so much ignorance in this statement...

You are an ignorant bigot. Shocking I know that people are appalled by seeing it.

In Orlando, after two of my friends were viciously murdered by someone whose religion told him it was ok to kill them because they were gay. The gay community of Orlando is taking concealed carry classes in DROVES and mark my words -- the next time this happens, the attacker will find a fucking bullet through their brain.

I can only imagine how the French people feel. The attacks on them (by Muslims) have been much more numerous. The situation that they face is intolerable. Islam is directly at odds with western values. If these people want to live according to their beliefs, let them live in any of the 50 Muslim-majority countries in the world.

fanboi

Banned
In Orlando, after two of my friends were viciously murdered by someone whose religion told him it was ok to kill them because they were gay. The gay community of Orlando is taking concealed carry classes in DROVES and mark my words -- the next time this happens, the attacker will find a fucking bullet through their brain.

I can only imagine how the French people feel. The attacks on them (by Muslims) have been much more numerous. The situation that they face is intolerable. Islam is directly at odds with western values. If these people want to live according to their beliefs, let them live in any of the 50 Muslim-majority countries in the world.

But the majority of muslims can live in the west according to their belifs.

Why should the many suffer by the few?

Kurtofan

I don't think you realize million of Muslims live in France without a hitch.

RangerX

Banned
What's so repugnant about it? Closing our borders is a bit extreme but restricting immigration and taking a more active approach towards integration should be basic guidelines for any country that wants to walk the path of multiculturalism.

Close our borders and leave them to it the poster said. Basically as long as they are blowing each other up its fine. Muslims are suffering most from these groups. We need to stop radicalization before it happens to halt this in the future. Education and making sure people feel a valued member of society are key here.

Fularu

Banned
Pfff poor thing. If your parents or your siblings ever die from a bomb attack would you be so clever?

Fortunately, the right is taking back control in Europe. Wait till next year.
I've had over 15 family members die to suicide attacks. What's your point?

Edit : oh well he won't be able to humor me now

In Europe Gay are already a right wing voting population in progressive country like the Netherlands

Mael

You may not like their political stances but they don't drive trucks into people, blow up planes or topple skyscrapers.

Nope but they're much more effective in making people's lives miserable.

I greatly dislike Christian fundamentalists but they are not responsible for pervasive violence (not today anyway, they certainly have been historically) the way that Islam is.

They're much more discriminate in their violence but we obviously can't take any risk, right?

Then you realize that one Islamic terrorist murdered as many children last night as all of the anti-abortion murders combined in the US. The Christian fundamentalists are awful but we can't pretend that they are the same. It's just the not true.

Even as an atheist, I can see that equating the two is laughable.

As far as we know it's a lone depressed guy who killed people for no reason.
We can blame all the gun suicide to religion if we go that road.

How do you propose we scrub the Internet of hate? Banning people from Twitter and YouTube? That is quite naive.

What problems would it create to restrict immigration from certain countries? How is that even close to "nuking Gaza"? Also you seem to be missing the point, I am not saying these are Syrian refugees. They are immigrants and the children of immigrants. They are not the great great grandchildren of immigrants.

We have converts and sons of immigrants doing that, banning immigration is pretty much as useful as nuking Gaza in solving the Israelo Palestinian conflict.
Sure no one is fighting over Gaza now....

With time, people integrate into the culture in which they live. Let this happen. That is all I am proposing.

You are proposing closing borders, not integration.

linsivvi

Pfff poor thing. If your parents or your siblings ever die from a bomb attack would you be so clever?

Fortunately, the right is taking back control in Europe. Wait till next year.

Millions of people in the Middle East died from bomb attacks from Western countries.

Even more people from other parts of the world died from bomb attacks from Western countries.

What's your point again?

Because they are done by democratically elected governments so they are justified am I right?

As of now we don't even know if the terrorist in question was practicing religion. Maybe he liked gays for all we know. The bigger issue here is that people like you are spreading hate as much as people who you are so opposed to. Even if you were right about everything you are saying you still can't propose solution that would solve a problem. All you are adding to this conversation is more hate...

What would you do about Muslims who are citizens of the country? Would you deport them? How could you make sure that nobody is radicalized on the internet? Are you suggesting sacrificing freedom of speech? How could you even decide who deserves to live in your country and who doesn't? In the US even two political parties can't agree which groups of people to hate more.

Close our borders and leave them to it the poster said. Basically as long as they are blowing each other up its fine. Muslims are suffering most from these groups. We need to stop radicalization before it happens to halt this in the future. Education and making sure people feel a valued member of society are key here.

Europe is suffering internally from radicalization. The long-term solution to stopping it is, indeed as you say, educating immigrants and making them a valued member of society.

Those achievements can only be accomplished if we don't allow too much immigrants at once and if we can enforce their integration in our society. And this means integration on all levels: cultural and socio-economical. Basically the opposite strategy of the European Union in 2015 and 2016 which has ensured rising tensions in European countries and an increasing amount of radicalization for the future.

Clockwork5

Yes, but now we have and if we leave it half assed the population Will suffer.
Or we can stay and aid in creating an even more volatile situation.

This is not something you drop bombs on. This is not something you send troops at. This is something you expose as subhuman.

Yes, we made a mistake and got involved in conflicts we knew close to nothing about and picked our good guys and bad guys. We supported Saddam and then had him killed. We supported Osama Bin Laden and then had him killed.

Now we have created massive populations of people who hate us for that. Do you propose we continue on in this manner?

Jonm1010

Banned

Broad-brushing and generalizing to the point of bigotry and totalitarian type policy is not going to make things any better. It plays right into the hands of the organization that that killer claimed to be aligned with.

As of now we don't even know if the terrorist in question was practicing religion. Maybe he liked gays for all we know. The bigger issue here is that people like you are spreading hate as much as people who you are so opposed to. Even if you were right about everything you are saying you still can't propose solution that would solve a problem. All you are adding to this conversation is more hate...

What would you do about Muslims who are citizens of the country? Would you deport them? How could you make sure that nobody is radicalized on the internet? Are you suggesting sacrificing freedom of speech? How could you even decide who deserves to live in your country and who doesn't? In the US even two political parties can't agree which groups of people to hate more.

That the Orlando shooter was gay has not been proven -- in fact, the FBI has no evidence he was. It was just a rumor from sources who refused to even give their names and unethical journalists.

I believe those people, if they truly want to live according to their beliefs, would be much happier in a Muslim country. Hell, they aren't all in the Middle East. Indonesia and Malaysia are Muslim countries, too. I would encourage Muslims to go there.

2MF

You're not wrong, but like clockwork you'll get plenty of replies saying "muslims are the biggest victims", "peaceful religion" (
terms and conditions apply
), etc.

I don't have a problem with religious people who don't bother others or force anyone to live according to their beliefs, but Islamic principles (many of which are still widely practiced) are indeed incompatible with modern Western ones.

fanboi

Banned
Or we can stay and aid in creating an even more volatile situation.

This is not something you drop bombs on. This is not something you send troops at. This is something you expose as subhuman.

Yes, we made a mistake and got involved in conflicts we knew close to nothing about and picked our good guys and bad guys. We supported Saddam and then had him killed. We supported Osama Bin Laden and then had him killed.

Now we have created massive populations of people who hate us for that. Do you propose we continue on in this manner?

I support action that support the regime in Iraq as an example. But we shouldnt intervene if they dont ask for help.

Jonm1010

Banned
You're not wrong, but like clockwork you'll get plenty of replies saying "muslims are the biggest victims", "peaceful religion" (
), etc.

I don't have a problem with religious people who don't bother others or force anyone to live according to their beliefs, but Islamic principles (which are still widely practiced) are indeed incompatible with modern Western ones.

So are Christian ones. The bible is an ugly place as well.

Truth is all major religions are incompatible with modern liberal western ideals. But like Christianity, you can't generalize based on the most extreme members.

Islam is certainly overall at a less evolved and modernized state in many places and the reasons for that are numerous and contentious. It serves no one but the terrorists though to hang your hat on framing this issue as a battle between Islam and the West. To place the vast majority of non-ISIS supporting Muslims as if they are cut from he same cloth.

That the Orlando shooter was gay has not been proven -- in fact, the FBI has no evidence he was. It was just a rumor from sources who refused to even give their names and unethical journalists.

I believe those people, if they truly want to live according to their beliefs, would be much happier in a Muslim country. Hell, they aren't all in the Middle East. Indonesia and Malaysia are Muslim countries, too. I would encourage Muslims to go there.

I was talking about the terrorist from yesterday. But that's beside the point. My point was that even "Western" politicians can't agree who they hate more. And while not on as large of the scale, but racism is a big problem in the US.

I still don't understand your plan. Indonesia and Malaysia would just tell them to fuck off. Why would they open their borders?

Education and socioeconomic status don't seem to predict terrorism. If anything, the connection runs in the opposite direction—wealthier countries produce more terrorists.

Foreign fighters who leave European countries to join ISIS actually predominately hail from "countries with high levels of economic development, low income inequality, and highly developed political institutions."

The Paris attackers were business owners.

The recent Bangladeshi attackers were "educated and well-off."

Markoman

Yes, I didn't feel that way until two of my friends were murdered by a crazed Muslim because they were gay here in Orlando. We should not allow social progress to work backward in order to accommodate these people. If some Muslims want to live according to their own laws and not have to deal with gender equality and lgbt rights then maybe they should feel free to move to any of the 50 Muslim-majority countries in the world.

If you don't want to live in the 21st century, then by all means, don't.

I respect your feelings and attitude, but man do I advise you to stay calm.

Seriously, do I have to remind you that a shift towards right-wing parties in the western world would also mean really bad news for gay people?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Never understood why muslims HAVE TO condemn attacks, otherwise they're secretly supporting terrorism?

If an atheist decide to go and murder 100 people, I don't feel like I should condemn anything because he's "the same" as me. Same with christians or jews I presume if some christian or jew go apeshit and kill lots of people.

It's just stupid to expect that of muslims imo.

2MF

So are Christian ones. The bible is an ugly place as well.

Do not ignore the part where I said "which are still widely practiced". That's the key difference between the ugly parts of Christianism and many of the ugly parts of Islam.

Yeah, the bible has plenty of bad crap, but almost no one follows it today.

), etc.

I don't have a problem with religious people who don't bother others or force anyone to live according to their beliefs, but Islamic principles (many of which are still widely practiced) are indeed incompatible with modern Western ones.

Exactly. I practically got bludgeoned over the head with the "religion of peace" nonsense, just like people are spewing here.

How about some sympathy for the fucking victims who were shot at and run over by a truck here? Its as if people are putting the sensibilities of Muslims over the victims of this horrific tragedy.. and it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME here.

Alx

), etc.

It depends on what you call "Islamic principles". The most common and probably non-negotiable ones are the five pillars, and they're perfectly compatible with a peaceful life in a civilized country. Those are :
- say you're a believer
- pray five times a day
- give money to charity
- fast once a year
- go to Meccah once in your life.

I can't see anything wrong with any of them.

Clockwork5

I was talking about the terrorist from yesterday. But that's beside the point. My point was that even "Western" politicians can't agree who they hate more. And while not on as large of the scale, but racism is a big problem in the US.

I still don't understand your plan. Indonesia and Malaysia would just tell them to fuck off. Why would they open their borders?
And why should they?

2MF

It depends on what you call "Islamic principles". The most common and probably non-negotiable ones are the five pillars, and they're perfectly compatible with a peaceful life in a civilized country. Those are :
- say you're a believer
- pray five times a day
- give money to charity
- fast once a year
- go to Meccah once in your life.

I can't see anything wrong with any of them.

And when you look at the world map and check where (to name a few): adulterers get stoned, women are least respected, gay people are condemned to death, you find other principles which are not as defensible.

Exactly. I practically got bludgeoned over the head with the "religion of peace" nonsense, just like people are spewing here.

How about some sympathy for the fucking victims who were shot at and run over by a truck here? Its as if people are putting the sensibilities of Muslims over the victims of this horrific tragedy.. and it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME here.

What you want are for people to be hateful. You want to see people say "BURN THEM ALL".

Not once did I see anyone say religion of peace. All I see in this thread are people painting with a broad brush and others saying it's not the whole community

Jonm1010

Banned
Do not ignore the part where I said "which are still widely practiced". That's the key difference between the ugly parts of Christianism and many of the ugly parts of Islam.

Yeah, the bible has plenty of bad crap, but almost no one follows it today.

Yes because we didn't just have a huge generational battle on gay rights that is still not over. Or Abortion. Or any number of blue laws that litter almost every state in the country. You are being very ignorant if you think Christianity is not ingrained in the personal, cultural and political calculus in America.

Also, get real. We have posts from only a page or so back showing the VAST majority of muslims do not support ISIS. Islam has its issues but this constant need to conflate, generalize and simplify a complex problem to justify policies of ignorance are not doing anyone any favors.

iceatcs

Hard to fix the ideology. But we can teach like apostasy is totally legal.

Ban trade to the countries legal kill the apostates, etc.

The world will slowly fix itself with the old religions will dying slowly.

Never understood why muslims HAVE TO condemn attacks, otherwise they're secretly supporting terrorism?

If an atheist decide to go and murder 100 people, I don't feel like I should condemn anything because he's "the same" as me. Same with christians or jews I presume if some christian or jew go apeshit and kill lots of people.

It's just stupid to expect that of muslims imo.

I think at some point my opinion was that they "have to do more", but then I realized that I don't really know how much they are doing, because I have absolutely no connections to Muslim community...

I think the bigger problem is people not willing to spend some time and try to figure out what other community is like. I guess this thread is the best example of this. Going to Muslim countries is thrown around as an insult here. And partially they are right, the governments there are not the best. BUT people still live there. And majority of those people are still good people. Many western businesses exist in Saudi Arabia. You can even buy Victoria's Secret in Saudi Arabia. And my point here isn't that the government is allowing it, my point here is that there's demand for everything "western" in Muslim countries.

That's good. Restricting immigration is ineffective and bigoted, but making terrorists eat lead at the slightest commotion and reducing the number of victims from 50 to maybe 1 is a superior choice. Sad that regressives want to limit gun rights too, it's the only non-racist non-xenophobic viable defense against terrorism

Pterion

And it's not about to stop any time soon, unfortunately.

Hard to fix the ideology. But we can teach like apostasy is totally legal.

Ban trade to the countries legal kill the apostates, etc.

The world will slowly fix itself with the old religions will dying slowly.
not a fan of that word,
using the word apostate validates that we have to excuse ourselves for being non-religious

we don't have to excuse ourselves for deciding to be agnostic or atheist

That's good. Restricting immigration is ineffective and bigoted, but making terrorists eat lead at the slightest commotion and reducing the number of victims from 50 to maybe 1 is a superior choice. Sad that regressives want to limit gun rights too, it's the only non-racist non-xenophobic viable defense against terrorism

So instead of intelligently selecting who can enter a country (which countries already do), we should just have the Wild West at night clubs? Awesome.

Is this sarcastic? Because one proposal was to stop selling machine guns to terrorists. I can see both sides of the story, but here you are just saying: "sell guns to terrorist and civilians and let them fight this out"

Jonm1010

Banned

Dont drag this shit in here.

We have had plenty of threads that have overwhelmingly disproven the whole defensive gun use argument you gun huggers like to cling to reflexively because the NRA's decade long strategy of propaganda has successfully worked on you.

Believe it or not, Florida actually has extremely lax gun laws and it didn't stop this attack.

Jonm1010

Banned
And it's not about to stop any time soon, unfortunately.

Who is doing this? Please point them out.

If people are going to speak ignorantly of an entire community every time one person who may be a strong follower of their faith does something, this sort of push back is going to happen until the rational minds are no longer around and only the bigots remain.

And on the same wavelength, you also have people (as shown in this thread) that are using this opportunities to hate on Muslims in a bigoted fashion and politicise each tragedy. Please don't act as if it's a one way street. You can have sympathy for the victims and debate - for better or worse. It's not mutually exclusive and this thread is a testament to that.

Not sure why you're burying head in the sand at all the posts in this thread that have clearly not put the 'sensibilities Muslim' into account as you claim.

Your response to a bigoted attack is to agree with a bigoted poster who got banned. You are becoming that which you apparently despise.

Koren

I disagree... For each reasonable person that'll get a firearm and act properly, you'll have fifty that make a bad usage of those.

At least, yesterday, the guy had only plastic heavy weapons and a dummy grenade (beside his small gun)

But we have political people here that now want to arm the police with rocket launchers now, because we all know that the best way to stop a truck running into people is firing a rocket at it... -_-'

It's completely possible to have sympathy for the victims of the attack while simultaneously realizing that this attack is not representative of an entire religion or people and why that's a dangerous belief to hold.

2MF

It's completely possible to have sympathy for the victims of the attack while simultaneously realizing that this attack is not representative of an entire religion or people and why that's a dangerous belief to hold.

Indeed, but I'd also add that putting part of the blame on religion (of which Islam is the one with the worst consequences today) can be simultaneously believed along with the things you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom