• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80 killed in Nice, France terrorist attack: truck into crowd, gunfire,"Stay indoors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzeentch

every french news reported ever since yesterday the one real gun (apaprently a 7,65 caliber, same as AK47... on a handgun... didn't even knew such thing existed...) and fake plastic guns, no confirmation if just toys or bb / pellet guns...
The people that sold him the weapons probably mixed in fakes because he didn't know any better.

Regginator

edit: Apparently he was NOT born in France, my bad.

By the way, as a side note, I don't understand why his Tunisian background is relevant? Do they have specific genes suited for terrorism? He's a Frenchman born and raised in France, and grew up in poverty and banlieues where he most likely got "brainwashed" (I dislike the word) and radicalized. Or are, for example, the French football players during the EURO 2016 not Frenchmen as well? But rather the country where their (grand)parents originally came from? It's so backwards and hypocrite.

By the way, as a side note, I don't understand why his Tunisian background is relevant? Do they have specific genes suited for terrorism? He's a Frenchman born and raised in France, and grew up in poverty and banlieues where he most likely got "brainwashed" (I dislike the word) and radicalized. Or are, for example, the French football players during the EURO 2016 not Frenchmen as well? But rather the country where their (grand)parents originally came from? It's so backwards and hypocrite.
From what I got he has dual citizenship

Beefy

So 84 dead and 50 in very serious condition. So very very sad. I hope they recover, but I can see the deaths hitting 100. :(

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel — identified by French media as the 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman shot dead by cops after the Thursday night massacre — was known to police for his lengthy criminal record.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/nice-attacker-mohamed-lahouaiej-bouhlel-article-1.2712654

Once again, this could be incorrect because apparently news sites suck.

Islamic or Islamist? Because I think there's a subtle difference between the two. Islamic is the religion in general, Islamist is a way of pursuing a fraction's goals through violent means in the hopes of toppling the current affairs.
Is this a real distinction? Like other people use it?

He wasn't born and raised in France, he was born in Tunisia.

Joni

If they call him a French-Tunesian, it is probably because he has dual citizenship.

Islamic or Islamist? Because I think there's a subtle difference between the two. Islamic is the religion in general, Islamist is a way of pursuing a fraction's goals through violent means in the hopes of toppling the current affairs.
Islamic terror is terror in the name of the religion. Islamist terror is terror in the name of the religion. It is the terror in the name of religion that counts.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Those people are way too stupid to realise the real culprit is already dead and double check if the social accounts are truly his. Seriously.

thespot84

Someone posted else where that he was shouting allahu akbar, is that verified?
Without evidence of radicalization couldn't this just be a total mental breakdown? Massacres in the US happen without any islam mixed in all the time...

Ray Wonder

edit: Apparently he was NOT born in France, my bad.

When trying to figure out if the motive is Islam related, you want to look at the culture they came from.

Mael

Someone posted else where that he was shouting allahu akbar, is that verified?
Without evidence of radicalization couldn't this just be a total mental breakdown? Massacres in the US happen without any islam mixed in all the time...

What does it change if he shouted it or not?
If he had a mental breakdown, he could have shouted it for some random reason.
It tells us nothing.

Tiberius

He is tunisian only got a residence permit

carte-de-sejour-de-mohamed-lahouaiej-bouhlel-repro-dr-1468589595.jpg

Regginator

He is tunisian only got a residence permit

carte-de-sejour-de-mohamed-lahouaiej-bouhlel-repro-dr-1468589595.jpg

That one seems to have expired on 14 January 2009, maybe he could have gotten the French nationality in the meanwhile. But that's not very important anyhow, also unless I'm blind, why doesn't a residence permit the place of birth?

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
No mention of him screaming anything, footage of him being shot can be found, I wont bother posting anything.
What the hell is Youtube doing, allowing footage of dead corpses being posted ???!!! Thats not acceptable and insulting to the families.

Tiberius

That one seems to have expired on 14 January 2009. And unless I'm blind, why doesn't a residence permit the place of birth?
If you're born in france you've got a french id card not a residence permit
And the place of birth is behind the card

Why are you really trying to make this guy a french citizen ?

Ray Wonder

*sigh*
DO NOT POST random picture found on imgur about serious incident like, THANKS!
If you can't find any reliable source, just do not post then.
This not respectful at all.

Thats crazy. Source?

It's all about context, apparently...

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old-assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60

The only thing I could find

Nevermind it's still hosted on Pewresearch, I posted an archived version before.

thespot84

What does it change if he shouted it or not?
If he had a mental breakdown, he could have shouted it for some random reason.
It tells us nothing.

The two questions were loosely related. Since the independent reported that he wasn't being monitored and wasn't religious, I'm still leaving the mental instability angle open before calling this terrorism (in the strict sense of pushing a political agenda with terror).

Mael

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old-assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60

The only thing I could find

Nevermind it's still hosted on Pewresearch, I posted an archived version before.

I found something else

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/pdf/253.pdf

Support for Suicide Bombing
Violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam can be justified...
French Muslims
Often/Sometimes
Rarely
Never
DK
1=100

Both data are severly outdated, it's been conducted in 2006.
Needless to say that we might have reasons to think they view this differently now.

The two questions were loosely related. Since the independent reported that he wasn't being monitored and wasn't religious, I'm still leaving the mental instability angle open before calling this terrorism (in the strict sense of pushing a political agenda with terror).

That guy in Orlando said everything and its contrary, he even shouted Alah Akbar and everything it still told us nothing.

Alx

Was talking to someone at work today and they seem to think these past few events might push France to follow the UK and exit the EU, and strengthen their border and immigration laws.

If our politicians were stupid enough to call for a referendum right now it could happen, with people voting out of fear. But it would be just as silly and ineffective as it was in Britain. How would immigration laws have prevented such attack? He wasn't even from the EU and wasn't an illegal immigrant.

Chaos17

https://i.imgur.com/jnve3Hv.jpg
42% of Muslims under 30 in France support suicide bombings, disturbing as shit.

*sigh*

Edit: I dislike polling like this because I doubt they would've phone all the citizen of France to have the accurante numbers.
But here a more "reliable" source at least http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/so...n-etrange-sondage-venu-de-russie_1568756.html

From french news gamazin, article from 2014.
15% of frenchs (not specialy muslim) were favorable but the article was kinda made by Russia agency so...
Take it with a grain of salt those poolings!!

Ray Wonder

I found something else

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/pdf/253.pdf

Support for Suicide Bombing
Violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam can be justified...
French Muslims
Often/Sometimes
Rarely
Never
DK
1=100

Both data are severly outdated, it's been conducted in 2006.
Needless to say that we might have reasons to think they view this differently now.

That guy in Orlando said everything and its contrary, he even shouted Alah Akbar and everything it still told us nothing.

Yes, this stat is also in the source I gave. It's one page up, in the source. Which specifies the point "Violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam can be justified..." But the one posted was about suicide bombing in general. Not against civilians.

Tiberius

Was talking to someone at work today and they seem to think these past few events might push France to follow the UK and exit the EU, and strengthen their border and immigration laws.
France won't exit EU, "we" are more angry about our politicians than about the EU

Recently cazeneuve our ministry in charge of homeland security received the result of an investigation from the parliament to improve the fight against terrorism and improve police and secret service.
Well to resume all he did with this was to wipe his ass with it

Mael

*sigh*

And the report doesn't even talk about ISIS and has a big paragraph about Al Qaeda.
It's outdated info.

Mael

Yes, this stat is also in the source I gave. It's one page up, in the source. Which specifies the point "Violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam can be justified..." But the one posted was about suicide bombing in general. Not against civilians.

It's very old info though.
I mean it's kinda polling for support of US troup in the US in 2003 with a poll from 1998.
I wouldn't use that data to make any kind of point today.

Ray Wonder

It's very old info though.
I mean it's kinda polling for support of US troup in the US in 2003 with a poll from 1998.
I wouldn't use that data to make any kind of point today.

No you're right, I was just saying that it was included in my source too. It's too old to be relevant. 11 years is a long time.

Clockwork5

I know it is not a popular opinion in these parts but it is beyond time for the western world to close its borders, get our military out of the Middle East and let them sort it out.

It may not stop today, or next year or this decade but in a generation or two? There is a possibility.

Otherwise we are just continuing on the same path and hoping for change. Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom