• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80GB Metal Gear PS3 bundle allocation UPDATE

JudgeN

Mii said:
Theres a shop nearby me I've happened to visit twice in the last week.

They have one of the bundle in stock. I keep staring at it. It tempts me so. But the promise of a new SKU with this same bundle and better hardware later holds me back.

What do I do GAF?

What promise of a new bundle? Sony has said nothing about a new bundle, they want to push MGS4 as much as they can. Now buy that bundle, god wills it.

Mii

Banned
JudgeN said:
What promise of a new bundle? Sony has said nothing about a new bundle, they want to push MGS4 as much as they can. Now buy that bundle, god wills it.

With how Sony is lately, i wouldn't be surprised to see a 100 or 120GB unit with a few internal hardware changes. Unlikely?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
how are the 40gbs selling since the reintroduction of the 80gb?

(p.s. i miss the U.S. retail musings thread * hint* *hint* )

Somnia

i_am_ben said:
how are the 40gbs selling since the reintroduction of the 80gb?

(p.s. i miss the U.S. retail musings thread * hint* *hint* )

Decent, but we are also running a 40gb bundle at our stores. 40gb PS3 w/six axis...1 dual shock 3 and MGS4 for $484...which helps. However most (and I mean 95%) of the people I tell this to say no thanks cause they NEED the 80gb for the BC. So ya... Sony don't be stupid and get rid of this again for too long whenever they do switch the bundled game.

Just picked up one for my friend at Best Buy in Katy/Houston tx.

Its the store on Fry rd. Just got a whole shipment of them in. I guess they are starting to roll in again.

g35twinturbo said:
Kagari,

did you know when they will have any in stock or are they just trickling in little by little.

I called up there this morning and the lady said she had them in. I went up there at lunch and picked one up. He was unloading them as I was leaving. There was maybe like 15 that I saw at the time, so to answer your question they are in stock now.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
StreetDisciple said:
I called up there this morning and the lady said she had them in. I went up there at lunch and picked one up. He was unloading them as I was leaving. There was maybe like 15 that I saw at the time, so to answer your question they are in stock now.

Thank you.

g35twinturbo,

I just noticed you where tallking to kagari not me. My Bad.

But like I said if anyone lives in Houston you can pick one up now in Katy.

Rolf NB

Mii said:
With how Sony is lately, i wouldn't be surprised to see a 100 or 120GB unit with a few internal hardware changes. Unlikely?
Pure speculation. Gravity might reverse tomorrow. But why would it.

Leatherface

Hey guys. I just bought the 80g metal Gear bundle. My first Sony console EVA! Tell me what I need! I'm all excited and stuff!

:D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Leatherface said:
Hey guys. I just bought the 80g metal Gear bundle. My first Sony console EVA! Tell me what I need! I'm all excited and stuff!

Get a PSN account. Download a year and a half of demos and enjoy. Then buy some games.

As far as accessories, you already have DS3.

Leatherface said:

It seems as if they are trickling in now, where did you buy yours? Ohh yeah, Uncharted!!

Leatherface

Yeah,

I finally got to play Super Stardust HD after being jealous for way too long. Now it's all mine! =P

I'm on a download spree right now though, definately! I also bought the remote for blu-ray movies.

omg blu-ray is so amazing!! the jump in quality from DVD is pretty mind blowing I must say. I'm in visual shock land right now since I also just bought a new 120hz samsung 1080p 52" LCD! Woo! it's like christmas!! :lol

Redd

Leatherface said:

First ever Sony Console huh. Do yourself a favor buy the Metal Gear Solid Essentials collection before you start on MGS4. Go, do it now before you start, trust me. Oh and add me to your friend list. P_Wright

Leatherface

Redd said:
First ever Sony Console huh. Do yourself a favor buy the Metal Gear Solid Essentials collection before you start on MGS4. Go, do it now before you start, trust me. Oh and add me to your friend list. P_Wright

Ok will do. I played and beat Twin Snakes does that help? Or is it more of a story thing that I should start from scratch?

AirBrian- I picked it up at target. Was the last one. I didn't even realize there even was a Metal Gear bundle until I bought it actually. lol

Redd

Leatherface said:
Ok will do. I played and beat Twin Snakes does that help? Or is it more of a story thing that I should start from scratch?

AirBrian- I picked it up at target. Was the last one. I didn't even realize there even was a Metal Gear bundle until I bought it actually. lol

Before anyone chimes is and says no, I'll say yes it does help. Still get the essential collections to play MGS2 and MGS3. All three of those games will help you better understand whats going on in MGS4. It's also fun seeing how the controls changed so much from the first game.

Mii said:
Theres a shop nearby me I've happened to visit twice in the last week.

They have one of the bundle in stock. I keep staring at it. It tempts me so. But the promise of a new SKU with this same bundle and better hardware later holds me back.

What do I do GAF?

Buy it now.

This is what I see happening (I've posted about it before, so feel free to search for my posts for a longer rant).

1) Sony will merely increase the HDD size of the 80GB PS3 to like 120 or 160. Alright, cool, whatever I can upgrade it myself.

2) Sony could remove BC completely in future models, so it might be best to get the 80GB now, while you know there is still BC.

3) This is what I feel is most likely. They are going to get rid of the 80GB hardware completely. Instead they will use the 40GB hardware (less ports, no BC, and so on) and just put a bigger HDD in there.

There is NOTHING to lose in getting the MGS4 bundle. You're getting the best piece of hardware available (nothing else can really change that in the future besides a new HDD which is upgradeable anyways so rather moot), you're getting a DualShock 3, and you're getting Pain and MGS4 which are both fun games (MGS4 being a hell of a lot better obviously). I see no downside in waiting.

I used to think exactly what you did until I realized what I just typed above. You can get 300GB HDD's for like $120, or 120GB for like $70. So please, save a kitten, get MGS4 bundle :D

AirBrian

Leatherface said:

Nice find!

OK, looks like some stores have received stock the past day or so. Time to start making the phone calls.

AirBrian

So yeah, many Best Buys received shipments today.

Oh, and :D.

Redd said:
It was only $30. I was pleasantly surprised.

Menaged

My uncle lives in LA and I've asked him to buy one for me.
I would have preferd to direct him to a site and order from there (for his convience) but all is out of stock.

You think I should bother him and tell him to make a few calls to best buy/wal-mart and find out if a new shipment has arrived?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
g35twinturbo said:
Kagari,

did you know when they will have any in stock or are they just trickling in little by little.

For some stores, they got in quite a few this week. I know mine got some Wednesday and is getting more tomorrow. They will be easier to find in July.

I saw two 80 gb MGS4 bundles yesterday at the Walmart on Augusta Rd in Columbia SC. I actually saw this guy buy the last 40 gig instead of buying the MGS4 bundle. Weird.

saw 4 or 5 at Best Buy yesterday (don't know exactly how many as they are kept up on the highass shelves above the games section), which is weird because i went in the days following the launch and they had zero. Guess they got another shipment. Had to resist the impulse buy....i just dont' have the money right now.

Askia47

Well, According to the gamestop and UPS my 80gb should have been delivered already, but apparently nothing is at home. I think someone stole it.

Firestorm

nomoment said:
Anybody have any luck finding one over the past week?

Dry as a bone over in Canada.
It's as if they just stopped shipments to Canada ._.; I'm hearing the date of July 7th being thrown around though.

Amneisac

cjtiger300 said:
I saw two 80 gb MGS4 bundles yesterday at the Walmart on Augusta Rd in Columbia SC. I actually saw this guy buy the last 40 gig instead of buying the MGS4 bundle. Weird.

Is Wal-Mart done with the $100 gift card deal? Cos if not, maybe he's thinking like I did. I bought the 40gb and got the $100 gift card and used it to buy a new PS2. Maybe I'm crazy, but even the 80gb software emulated BC just doesn't feel the same as playing the games on an actual PS2 with the DS2 controller and everything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Showing up at the store late on day one with no problems ftmfw

fernoca

Regarding Wal-Mart:
-Yep, the giftcard deal ended 2 weeks ago.
-Stores are receiving weekly shipments (a friend of mine even got one yesterday)
-Online seems they just got a few, for $499.00 (same as in the stores) and the option to ship-to-store is also available (in case you don't want to pay for shipping)

Askia47 said:
I envy you guys, My ps3 was delivered and stolen before i could get home.

Erm, did you talk to whoever delivered it?

If it required a signature and they just left it at the door, there's a serious issue and they should give you money back.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Askia47 said:
I envy you guys, My ps3 was delivered and stolen before i could get home.
look at it on the bright side, you may be able to get the shipping company to replace it and NPD+2

Askia47 said:
Calling Gamestop right now, UPS said they delivered it, but nothing was at my house. Shits Fuckin gay.
WTF :lol

I just hate it when the delivery people assume it's safe enough to leave your shit outside.

Though I doubt UPS would do it. They have pretty good integrity and a system put in to make sure things are delivered.

Stalfos

Askia47 said:
Calling Gamestop right now, UPS said they delivered it, but nothing was at my house. Shits Fuckin gay.
I would think that it would have required a signature for delivery. I know the 80GB that I ordered from Amazon required one. Though I live in an apartment building so I have the front desk that can accept my packages.

Definitely call both Gamestop and UPS.

Askia47

After calling both Gamestop and UPS it seems really odd to me. Gamestop said that its weird since the product shouldnt have been shipped so fast. The rep told me I could receive the System today still. But it doesnt make any sense, UPS already documented that it was delivered yesterday. I trust neither of them, and I still think someone stole it.

Top Bottom