• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got done watching Dallas Buyers Club and Gravity on the account of the awards.

Dallas Buyers Club was very good. Both Mcconaughey and Leto nailed their performances. The film was also very well done and entertaining. One of the best of last year.

Gravity...was okay. Can't believe it won so many Oscars.

jett

D-Member
I feel he got snubbed for the Departed.

He wasn't snubbed, the same studio released The Departed and Blood Diamond that year(WB), and for the awards season they pushed BD for Leo instead of TD, to drum up more interest in the movie.

royalan

Poor Leo? Pfft

Poor Amy. She's been nominated more times, and for a wider range of performances.

Watching her now it's so hard to believe that she's the same girl from Disney's Enchanted, and she was amazing even in that.

I mean, when people say "Hitchcock shot", they use that term because Hitchcock was fond of using that shot in his films. Did many people work on his films? Of course. But there are things that he did that are unique to him, or at least are found throughout his filmography, which allows critics to pick up on his patterns.

I just find Auteur theory to be bullshit more often than its not, is all. I did allow, above, that it does apply to some filmmakers more easily than others. I just personally don't buy it, and I'm explaining why.

Kaeptain: I don't even know what you're trying to say there with that image.

Blader

So I just got done watching Dallas Buyers Club and Gravity on the account of the awards.

Dallas Buyers Club was very good. Both Mcconaughey and Leto nailed their performances. The film was also very well done and entertaining. One of the best of last year.

It's really hard to believe Gravity won a bunch of technical, post-production Oscars?

It's not like it won best screenplay or anything. I think all of its wins are pretty reasonable and deserved.

BLACKLAC

OVBibhp.png

Gorillaz

I really don't get this. I just don't. I'm an atheist, and yeah I tend to roll my eyes when people think god had a part in their success. But look. What did the guy really say?

I. He respects and holds on to his beliefs.

II. He lives for his family.

III. He's always chasing after the best version of himself (ie. he's always trying to better himself as a person).

How the hell is that narcissistic in any manner? I've seen backlash on this speech, and I don't get it. I thought it was one of the most eloquent and heartfelt speeche's I've heard at an award show. It was articulate, to the point, and had a message. It wasn't the typical industry circlejerk that you typically get. I just thought it was a really humble and well thought out speech. Yet some people are talking about how narcissistic and crazy it was.

But I dunno. To me, rambling was Jared Leto, where he continued on and on thanking everything. To the point it got uncomfortable.

People don't want actual heartfelt moments from their actors. They want them to play a role at all times in public life. Awards ceremonies included. So when he gave people a glimpse into who he is, what he believes, and how it helps him, people are freaked out. If you can't attach your own narrative onto the actor the illusion is broken.

Fuck the haters. Dude gave a fantastic speech and seems like an awesome person with solid perspective on his life. He was unafraid to show his real self. That's awesome.

Agreed with both of yall. I thought it was kind of hilarious tbh but it did feel like a very heartful moment or as much of one as MM can give. Don't understand the anger of him bringing up God or what he viewed himself over the years

The Boat

it's pretty much a movie to watch only in the theatres in 3D with loud surround sound, it's more of an experience than a typical movie that tells a story. I think it did what it set out to do very, very well and it's completely different from what we're used to and as such, I feel the Oscars were deserved,

Poor Leo? Pfft

Poor Amy. She's been nominated more times, and for a wider range of performances.

Watching her now it's so hard to believe that she's the same girl from Disney's Enchanted, and she was amazing even in that.

Or the girl who had a role in an episode of Smallville!

megamerican

I know I'm late to the party but I recently saw that Variety piece up saying that Ellen was one of the best hosts ever, what a fucking joke. She was bland and boring. The only reason the audience didn't turn on her was because they were relieved she wasn't going to land a single pointed joke about any of them. Half of her schtick was plugging the latest Samsung phone, the other was awkwardly handing out pizza in real time.

It's really that hard to believe that a technically accomplished movie got that many *hold on for this* technical awards?

It's not like this is Slumdog Millionaire and won because of blind love. Slumdog won fucking Sound Mixing, Cinematography and Score, for christ's sake.

The only category where Gravity wasn't a sure thing was Film Editing. Captain Phillips and American Hustle had some of the best work of the year, yet the Academy wanted to give Cuarón 2 because they knew the kind of achievement the movie was, but they would never give the Best Picture award to a movie like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just find Auteur theory to be bullshit more often than its not, is all. I did allow, above, that it does apply to some filmmakers more easily than others. I just personally don't buy it, and I'm explaining why.

Kaeptain: I don't even know what you're trying to say there with that image.

Well, the thing is that there is nothing that can be attributed to a single person if you take it to the extreme. Every author has an agent, editor, or even friend who reads their work for them. Every musician needs a band, and a studio, and engineers, and stagehands. I understand the skepticism, especially when it comes to games, but at some point there is a guiding voice that defines a text in the particular parameters of the medium that they are working in... and people will tend to have habits that will repeat themselves.

(McQueen with moments of brutality, Cauron with long take fetishism).

I'll never understand people who think Michael Fassbender is attractive. Just awful looking at the oscars. I mean compare MM, Leo, Hemsworth, Pitt, Cooper, and whoever else was there to this...

xmichael-fassbender-oscars-nominee.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9u1Qu8czss.jpg

Monocle

It wasn't that good a movie. Great special effects and a great ending theme, but I don't see myself rewatching it much.

12 Years A Slave was better.
Gravity created an experience like nothing else. It's a movie that powerfully affirms the unique ability of film to transport us to places the average person would never be able to go. People who criticize its plot and acting are miles away from the point. The purpose of Gravity is to take us into space and show us something about humanity's ingenuity, frailty, and resilience by placing us in the perspective of someone who was emotionally and now physically alienated from humanity. We experience her journey to reconnect, her choice to live at her moment of greatest isolation. The film is steeped in metaphor, and I'm not just talking about the obvious imagery like
the fetus shot or crawling out of the mud to stand tall
. Gravity is a meditation on humanity that speaks almost entirely in compelling images. It operates on a level above and beyond anything else released last year, to say the least.

royalan

I'll never understand people who think Michael Fassbender is attractive. Just awful looking at the oscars. I mean compare MM, Leo, Hemsworth, Pitt, Cooper, and whoever else was there to this...

xmichael-fassbender-oscars-nominee.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9u1Qu8czss.jpg

Of course, post of picture of him making a funny face.

Now, here:

Is Michael Fuckmerightnowbender.

He's undeniably handsome, and very suave and articulate. These are attractive traits. Also, it doesn't hurt that, after Shame, it's practically impossible to NOT see him as an intensely sexual being...which makes him immeasurably attractive to some people.

Monocle

Now, here:

He's undeniably handsome, and very suave and articulate. These are attractive traits. Also, it doesn't hurt that, after Shame, it's practically impossible to NOT see him as an intensely sexual being...which makes him immeasurably attractive to some people.
Also he's motherfucking Magneto.

lol

But seriously, Fass is awesome.

BadAss2961

Move to LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, and probably countless other cities and you'll see better looking guys every time you step outside.
You could say the same for most others in Hollywood, the women included.

They're famous actors. We see them all the time and become fond of their charisma. But they're really not all that outstanding looking when you think about it.

Ties

Banned

Now, here:

Still looks haggard.

Poe baby.

iGirS2nuaHUzH.png

UrbanRats

http://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/t_slideshow/v1392686130/xmichael-fassbender-oscars-nominee.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9u1Qu8czss.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iRm3IFYJayboI.gif

Leo can't get rid of that baby face.
It may have favored him in his earlier years, but now he's gonna look more and more like the kids from Akira.

Fassbender is hot as fuck, instead, and can sport his age better.

Also has a pretty respectable dong, as we could deduct from Shame.

I'll grant you Mcconaughey and even Pitt, though.

I like the guy. But it's no secret directors hate him. Remember that shit storm around Three Kings? The guy just doesn't know how to be a team player.

I'd like to throw Edward Norton and John Ridley into a project just to watch the world burn.

I saw Ridley and David O Russell hug it out when he went up to get the Oscar. So I'm sure he'll patch things up with McQueen... 15 years from now.

The Hunt should have won the foreign Oscar. Really anything but La grande bellezza, but The Hunt was my favourite film of the year, so yeah.
The Act of Killing should have won the documentary Oscar. It's one of the most important documentary films of the century so far, and everybody should watch it.
Jonah Hill should have won the supporting actor Oscar.
Otherwise I'm glad how everything went. Missed the last third of the show, but I enjoyed myself. Ellen did well considering how much I thought she sucked seven years ago.

Pretty much my only bugbears. Couldn't disagree with the other choices. And I was very pleasantly surprised by the Jonze win.

Why is everyone saying poor Leo? Honestly has he ever REALLY been "snubbed"? Cant think of a single year where he was better than the guy that won.

Guys that weren't even nominated were better than him this year (i.e. Joaquin Phoenix in Her).

Gravity created an experience like nothing else. It's a movie that powerfully affirms the unique ability of film to transport us to places the average person would never be able to go. People who criticize its plot and acting are miles away from the point. The purpose of Gravity is to take us into space and show us something about humanity's ingenuity, frailty, and resilience by placing us in the perspective of someone who was emotionally and now physically alienated from humanity. We experience her journey to reconnect, her choice to live at her moment of greatest isolation. The film is steeped in metaphor, and I'm not just talking about the obvious imagery like
the fetus shot or crawling out of the mud to stand tall
. Gravity is a meditation on humanity that speaks almost entirely in compelling images. It operates on a level above and beyond anything else released last year, to say the least.
Someone with a monocle wouldn't be praising that film. To be serious I didn't connect (heh) with her character at all. The film does not do a good job of showing why she is distant. Sure it tells you her sob story but that isn't the same. Maybe Bullock just didn't sell it to me.

It's really hard to believe Gravity won a bunch of technical, post-production Oscars?

It's not like it won best screenplay or anything. I think all of its wins are pretty reasonable and deserved.

It's really that hard to believe that a technically accomplished movie got that many *hold on for this* technical awards?

Best Director?
Best Original Score?
Best Film Editing?

That is pretty much half of the Oscars it won. Where do you get this "all the oscars it won were for technically accomplished ones"?

Someone with a monocle wouldn't be praising that film. To be serious I didn't connect (heh) with her character at all. The film does not do a good job of showing why she is distant. Sure it tells you her sob story but that isn't the same. Maybe Bullock just didn't sell it to me.
That is the other thing. The film was miscast. Couldn't connect with Bullock or Clooney at all.

Showaddy

That is the other thing. The film was miscast. Couldn't connect with Bullock or Clooney at all.

They cast them so the film could make money though. Even though they weren't any good they at least sold the film and brought it to the attention of the Academy.

If they actually cared about the acting in the film they wouldn't have been cast in the first place.

HeelPower

what an incredible year for film and what a great ceremony it was.

I would giver her best picture but 12 Years a Slave has a much more significant subject matter that it deserves best picture.

Also her got the award for writing which was pretty excellent.On the other hand Gravity won the director's honour and swept the technical and ,surprisingly, musical side.

The awards for acting were also spot on.Thank god Lupita won instead of Jlaw.Frozen getting two oscars was great too.

Overall an extremely satisfying awards show , brilliantly hosted by Ellen and with very good distribution of awards.

Blader

Best Director?
Best Original Score?
Best Film Editing?

That is pretty much half of the Oscars it won. Where do you get this "all the oscars it won were for technically accomplished ones"?

Pretty sure director (for this particular movie) and editing are also technical achievements? Plus cinematography, VFX, and sound editing/mixing. The only one that doesn't fall into that category -- and coincidentally, the only one that wasn't really deserved imo -- is score.

breakfuss

I'm not one to talk about people but that is awful. She looks as if she can barely open her eyes. People should say something instead of acting like it's something to celebrate but whatever. Wish her the best, I guess.

Leo can't get rid of that baby face.
It may have favored him in his earlier years, but now he's gonna look more and more like the kids from Akira.

LOLOLOL. That is so wrong.

After all the talk of McQueen/Ridley beef and auteurism lol, I finally watched Shame. Have to say, I didn't see many similarities to 12 Years. It was late (and I was tired) so I may have to rewatch both, but nothing felt distinctively McQueen. Probably the settings throwing me off. Shame was definitely interesting, though. I enjoyed it. Fassbender is amazing. Like, really. Kinda embarrassed to say I only remembered him from Xmen, lol. Didn't even realize that was him in Fish Tank or Prometheus. Going to try to watch Hunger by the end of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom