• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remedy has an Oscar winner in the house.

http://remedygames.com/greg-goes-golden/

You got a Max Payne avatar just for this news? :D

Just saw these GIFs on flavorwire, lol:
mcqueen.gif

lupita-nyongo-happy-pharrell.gif

amy-adams-pharrell.gif

meryl-streep-pharrell.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Overall the best Oscars for a while. Ellen was inoffensive; not particularly great but she seems nice and the skits humanised the actors a bit.

12YAS is an absolutely deserving Best Picture winner. It stands as the milestone of the year in a way lesser films in other years have and have disappointed me. When kids in schools are looking back and seeing what was crowned the very best picture of individual years, they'll get ones like Driving miss Daisy and Crash. But they'll also get this, which is brilliant.

Cuaron - well deserved best director considering he literally was in charge of every single direction the film took. Was nice they split the two awards because - even though I liked films better than both - they're the two stand outs in terms of milestones and cinematic history.

McConaughey - well deserved for three or four years of impeccable performances now, and I'm very interested to see where he goes from here. Interstellar coming up, but if he kept with the character acting and continued to rack up Oscar noms by making a great film every year that'd be terrific.

Blanchett - well deserved as well. I thought they might give it to Adams any other year but Blanchett was just a tour de force, probably the very best performance of the year for me.

Nyongo'o - I love her. She's beautiful, well spoken, cares about these awards, and she was brilliant.

Leto - I thought he was very good but I think it was a more impressive physical performance than actual craft, but I'm not bothered about him winning. To be honest, every single acting nomination this year except Streep for me was very very good.

Other highlights - Jonze yayyyyyyy, Murray is awesome, Travolta is hilarious, I am sleepy.

Even if they weren't supposedly feuding over Screenplay credit (and they might not be, really) Ridley is apparently not one of the easiest people to work with. I've followed his career since U-Turn - which was the first time Ridley & a director had some really shitty feelings, and basically: Dude does not like having to eat shit, and is not quiet about it.

When you're a screenwriter, this is a problem, as a large part of being a screenwriter is EATING SHIT. It's fucked up, but it's true.

For awhile there, he was hosting a show on E or Bravo or something a roundtable movie discussion show. It was okay. But he's been bouncing around the industry for awhile mostly because he is not afraid to speak his mind about the things that piss him off.

I'm glad he got a statue though. I really like his novels.

I missed the Oscars last night! I have ne er missed them, ever. I was so mad at myself.

I did watch Dallas Buyers Club Saturday night and have to say, the Academy nailed it with both Supporting Actor and Actor. Those two performances were so good that each scene was hard to watch and impossible to turn away. Such a great movie as well.

Now, I hope The Lego Movie wins next year, for best picture! That movie might have been one of the best films I have ever seen, and seeing it with my daughter was fucking amazing as well.

Blader

McConaughey gave a nice, very eloquent speech. Kinda funny to hear how religious he is in real life, though. That's a hell of a contrast to True Detective.

harSon

Banned
Even if they weren't supposedly feuding over Screenplay credit (and they might not be, really) Ridley is apparently not one of the easiest people to work with. I've followed his career since U-Turn - which was the first time Ridley & a director had some really shitty feelings, and basically: Dude does not like having to eat shit, and is not quiet about it.

When you're a screenwriter, this is a problem, as a large part of being a screenwriter is EATING SHIT. It's fucked up, but it's true.

For awhile there, he was hosting a show on E or Bravo or something a roundtable movie discussion show. It was okay. But he's been bouncing around the industry for awhile mostly because he is not afraid to speak his mind about the things that piss him off.

Yup, it's common knowledge that screenwriting is the worst business to get into if you want your writing to come out 100% in tact once a movie releases. Unless you're directing your own screenplay, or you're an industry juggernaut (and even then, it's not a guarantee), extensive rewrites are a reality of the business.

For all the wrongs the Oscars often do, I gotta say I appreciate that they didn't do a big ass annoying number at the beginning and that they didn't spend half an hour talking about each of the acting nominees like a few years ago. The presenters just went in and announced the nominees and winners, no sugar coating bullshit. Stuff like this shouldn't happen again.

Revolver

For all the wrongs the Oscars often do, I gotta say I appreciate that they didn't do a big ass annoying number at the beginning and that they didn't spend half an hour talking about each of the acting nominees like a few years ago. The presenters just went in and announced the nominees and winners, no sugar coating bullshit. Stuff like this shouldn't happen again.

Yeah I appreciated how they kept the BS to a minimum. It was an alright ceremony and it seemed pretty predictable. No really big out of left field or wtf moments. Ellen did okay though but I thought her digs at Liza Minnelli's appearance and June Squibb's age were uncharacteristic for her and came off kind of mean.

Have all the - important - speeches been uploaded yet? I really have no desire to sit through the entire ceremony.

"I'm always chasing that better version of me," was the sentiment. And that's about as humble as you can expect an actor to be.
He should've just gone full egocentric and embraced it for the laughs. "I'd like to thank myself because I was there at every step... so good job me, everybody else? Thanks I guess."

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

I like the guy. But it's no secret directors hate him. Remember that shit storm around Three Kings? The guy just doesn't know how to be a team player.

I'd like to throw Edward Norton and John Ridley into a project just to watch the world burn.

Have all the - important - speeches been uploaded yet? I really have no desire to sit through the entire ceremony.

He should've just gone full egocentric and embraced it for the laughs. "I'd like to thank myself because I was there at every step... so good job me, everybody else? Thanks I guess."

He's no Tarantino

When you put your blood sweat and tears into a screenplay and have things changed without your approval I can see why he says "fuck McQueen"

He's now officially an oscar winning screenwriter, basically solidified legend status

When you put your blood sweat and tears into a screenplay and have things changed without your approval I can see why he says "fuck McQueen"

Yeah, but on the other hand - you're the screenwriter. You KNOW the directors/actors are going to fuck with your words. It's GOING to happen. Your "approval" often doesn't even enter into it past a certain point. ESPECIALLY if you've already started rubbing the director/producers the wrong way.

In his favor though - most of his (public) fights have been with directors that don't have the greatest reputation: Oliver Stone, George Lucas, David O. Russell...

jett

D-Member
John Ridley was upset his screenplay got changed around? I mean, that's normal Hollywood practice, often people receive credit for something that barely resembles their original work.

John Ridley was upset his screenplay got changed around?

Maybe? Probably. I don't think there's any real on-the-record explanation. They could have been fighting for a completely different reason. But it's probably a dispute over the screenplay. There's not much else that Directors/screenwriters fight over.

Yeah, but on the other hand - you're the screenwriter. You KNOW the directors/actors are going to fuck with your words. It's GOING to happen. Your "approval" often doesn't even enter into it past a certain point. ESPECIALLY if you've already started rubbing the director/producers the wrong way.

In his favor though - most of his (public) fights have been with directors that don't have the greatest reputation: Oliver Stone, George Lucas, David O. Russell...

Just because it happens it doesn't make it right, and I respect that he's one of the few that will stand up for their work. He's gone throughout his career fighting for his work and has an oscar to now show for it, and I'm sure mqueen not having one for director makes it much sweeter for him.

Ridley327

I like the guy. But it's no secret directors hate him. Remember that shit storm around Three Kings? The guy just doesn't know how to be a team player.

I'd like to throw Edward Norton and John Ridley into a project just to watch the world burn.

There would be thousands dead in the resulting war between those two. Norton plays for fucking keeps.

Just because it happens it doesn't make it right, and I respect that he's one of the few that will stand up for their work. He's gone throughout his career fighting for his work and has an oscar to now show for it, and I'm sure mqueen not having one for director makes it much sweeter for him.

This isn't how movies have ever been made, really. And the freedom to tweak/change the script while on the set has often led to moments that are better than what was originally written on the page. That flexibility is absolutely necessary. Filmmaking is very collaborative, and the screenplay is one of the most flexible pieces of the filmmaking puzzle.

I mean, sometimes, the script IS followed to the letter. But there are also just as many occurrences where a script change without the writer's approval IS the right call, because it ended up improving the movie.

It's part of the reason I dislike "Auteur Theory," because there are so many variables, and so many different voices, so many different inputs into the telling of a story that saying the result is very obviously the result of ONE person's vision is pretty disingenuous.

That really is disgusting. I'm glad I don't watch award shows.

Havel

I'm laughing so hard at this Adele Dazeem shit right now.

How in the hell did he manage that? I know he has dyslexia, but he got all the other words perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom