• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm laughing so hard at this Adele Dazeem shit right now.

How in the hell did he manage that? I know he has dyslexia, but he got all the other words perfectly.

I said last night that Idina Menzel should have taken that fuck up and run with it. "It wasn't ME up there off-key and a full beat ahead of the music. It was that Adele Dazim woman. Shameful."

I think in the case of something like 12 Years A Slave everyone involved deserves and will receive credit, but looking at his small canon it is also very clearly a Steve McQueen picture. I can't make that separation in my head and not see it as that, perhaps as a result of years of hanging out in online film boards and circles.

I get you. I think it's more that because of the focus on directorial voice, we as educated viewers are better trained to spot THEIR signatures as opposed to other contributors. You've gotta be a REALLY strong/unique voice as a writer/cinematographer/editor/sound designer/etc. etc. to blip on someone's radar, otherwise, the efforts just blend into the whole. And even then, that work sometimes gets assigned to the director anyway. Like - how much of a Scorsese film FEELS like Scoresese because Thelma Schoonmaker is the one cutting it? How much of a Coen Bros film FEELS like Coen Bros because Deakins (or Sonnenfeld before him) is shooting it?

It's a good thing, ultimately, that all the parts blend into a cohesive whole. But I really do think it's just a matter of even the most educated film fans being specialized mostly in looking for directorial flourishes and similarities, since the "director is the author" mentality is pretty well accepted, even by people who don't care that much about the nuts & bolts of making movies.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The Hunt should have won the foreign Oscar. Really anything but La grande bellezza, but The Hunt was my favourite film of the year, so yeah.
The Act of Killing should have won the documentary Oscar. It's one of the most important documentary films of the century so far, and everybody should watch it.
Jonah Hill should have won the supporting actor Oscar.
Otherwise I'm glad how everything went. Missed the last third of the show, but I enjoyed myself. Ellen did well considering how much I thought she sucked seven years ago.

nilbog21

Banned
McConaughey gave a nice, very eloquent speech. Kinda funny to hear how religious he is in real life, though. That's a hell of a contrast to True Detective.

seriously, i was so disappointed when he started rambling about God. people praised his speech, but he came off like a narcisist mental case to me, droning on for half the time about he is his own hero

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
seriously, i was so disappointed when he started rambling about God. people praised his speech, but he came off like a narcisist mental case to me, droning on for half the time about he is his own hero

It was spot on for the Oscars.

His Golden Globes speech was so much worse.

Blader

I don't know, I don't think it's really narcissistic to want to be your best self.

Ultimadrago

I don't know, I don't think it's really narcissistic to want to be your best self.

Me neither. I see where the wording could catch some off guard, but it's simply a line of self-improvement.
Be someone in several years that you would look up to today is the obvious intended take away.

Helmholtz

I thought McConaughey's speech was pretty good. The self improvement part was a little strangely worded, but the sentiment was spot on for someone like him. Also think it's funny that some people take issue with the religious part. How dare he have different beliefs than you, right?

Ultimadrago

I thought McConaughey's speech was pretty good. The self improvement part was a little strangely worded, but the sentiment was spot on for someone like him. Also think it's funny that some people take issue with the religious part. How dare he have different beliefs than you, right?

"Next year we'll have someone thanking Santa Claus!"

Dawg

Only people who have a problem with the religious part of Matthews speech are
fedora wearing
atheists who probably thought he was just like Rust Cohle IRL.

I think it's cool to see a guy who really believes in something and isn't afraid of letting other people know that. You could tell his speech was sincere, not just some rehearsed stuff like many other actors.

If people really have to bitch about something, do it about Jlaw. Her shtick is getting so old. Hey! I make funny faces. Hah! I fell again. I'm just like you normal people! :3 Ugh.

Fevaweva

As an atheist, the thing I hate about atheists is jumping on every single religious person if they express their gratitude to their God. Those types of people should save their chagrin and criticism for people who are using their religion as a weapon or stop the march of progress in some way.

Its not like he is a homophobe or worse.

Helmholtz

If people really have to bitch about something, do it about Jlaw. Her shtick is getting so old. Hey! I make funny faces. Hah! I fell again. I'm just like you normal people! :3 Ugh.
Yeah, I've started to really dislike her. When she presented best actor she kept getting "distracted" and saying inaudible things to random people in the crowd. Get over yourself and present the award properly. It's not your moment.

Dawg

As an atheist, the thing I hate about atheists is jumping on every single religious person if they express their gratitude to their God. Those types of people should save their chagrin and criticism for people who are using their religion as a weapon or stop the march of progress in some way.

Its not like he is a homophobe or worse.

Yeah, I guess it's just "cool" or "in" to be atheist atm. I know plenty of religious people who are real decent folks. They just chose to believe in something different than myself and I respect them for that. I don't think they're stupid or anything, because no person can truly know the answer to life et cetera. I know decent atheist people too, but a vocal group of them on the internet are the bad kind it seems :(

Yeah, I've started to really dislike her. When she presented best actor she kept getting "distracted" and saying inaudible things to random people in the crowd. Get over yourself and present the award properly. It's not your moment.

Exactly. I know award ceremonies can make people somewhat egocentric maybe, but JLaw takes it to the next level. That reminds me, I think she fell at almost every award ceremony by now. It's getting a little obvious, unless she really is that clumsy. But yeah, photobombing or making some funny face behind someone who is getting interviewed... I think that's funny the first time... but not really respectful for other actors if you keep doing it. Makes it look like she wants all the attention all the time.

Loxley

I really, really want to see Nebraska. I hadn't even heard of it prior to last night, but after the clips they showed during the telecast, I'm excited to check it out.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
McConaughey's speech was really good. His drawl and general demeanour makes him very easy to listen to in the first place, but the content was nice too. The wording of himself in ten years as a 'hero' makes it seem more narcissistic than the actual message of self-improvement is.

There was nothing preachy about the religious references.

C'mon!!

It's 2014, get with the program people! thanking God (or Jesus) during an acceptance speech should only be reserved for mediocre rappers at the BET Awards: Not white, seasoned Hollywood actors at the Oscars!!

injurai

Banned
6ZiGLoB.gif

holy christ

McConaughey's speech was really good. His drawl and general demeanour makes him very easy to listen to in the first place, but the content was nice too. The wording of himself in ten years as a 'hero' makes it seem more narcissistic than the actual message of self-improvement is.

There was nothing preachy about the religious references.

I think the whole 'I want to be my hero now in 10 years' thing is actually a pretty good outlook? I mean, why wouldn't you want to constantly be striving to be a better person. It's just award platitude, maybe, and the use of the word 'hero' is corny, but he seems like a pretty genuine guy and I think some people (LIKE ME) could probably do with a bit more of that self-idealisation. It's not narcissistic at all - it's hopeful and admirable I think.

I think the whole 'I want to be my hero now in 10 years' thing is actually a pretty good outlook? I mean, why wouldn't you want to constantly be striving to be a better person. It's just award platitude, maybe, and the use of the word 'hero' is corny, but he seems like a pretty genuine guy and I think some people (LIKE ME) could probably do with a bit more of that self-idealisation. It's not narcissistic at all - it's hopeful and admirable I think.

Seriously, you must be a self deprecating, pessimistic asshole to not care or want to be someone greater than you are presently in five to ten years from now.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

That is pretty much what I meant, just by using 'hero' it is quite easily misinterpreted as being narcissistic when it isn't at all. It was a great message because self-improvement is a perfect goal for everyone and also very achievable.

Ultimadrago

Having recently watched both Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, I can say without a doubt that Steve McQueen's 12 Years A Slave was not only the winner, but the easy winner. Of course, having nothing to do with the few amusing or laughable theories I've seen around such as "White Guilt" or "Anti-Sci-Fi Bias."

12 Years a Slave has an actual script, strong narrative and some swell performances to go along with great cinematography. Gravity is a well-directed audiovisual treat, not many attempt to take that from it, but overall it's simply an above-average film experience. When the most notable performance in a film is Sandra Bullock heavily panting constantly (in an oddly erotic tone, if I'm being facetious as when I was viewing that entire 45 minutes of it in the film), there's not much weight to be given there. I blame the script more than wonderful Sandra for this incident, but that's how it goes.

As for the music, Steven Price's original score worked very much to Gravity's favor and was one of its stronger elements by far. Price winning the Oscar for that score is fine. I wasn't overwhelmingly on its side, but it certainly was composed intelligently.

In short, Gravity rightfully obtained about all the 2014 Oscars under its belt, but it didn't deserve Best Picture over 12 Years a Slave on overall merit. Thankfully, and perhaps not surprisingly, that worked itself out in the end. The best picture, 12 Years a Slave, won Best Picture last night.

overcast

I loved all three actors/actresses speeches, aside from Leto. His was okay, but something about him saying "To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight in places like Ukraine and Venezuela.." was incredibly Hollywood smug. I couldn't help but cringe just a bit.

The part about his mother was touching, and the ending was well done.

It's part of the reason I dislike "Auteur Theory," because there are so many variables, and so many different voices, so many different inputs into the telling of a story that saying the result is very obviously the result of ONE person's vision is pretty disingenuous.
Up until post-production, in which the voice of the film is consolidated. The end result is very much the director's voice unless the studio makes the final cut.

Up until post-production, in which the voice of the film is consolidated.

To a degree, yeah, but even in post production, there are a LOT of voices pitching in, voices that aren't necessarily the directors' first and foremost.

Lots of VFX are given a human touch that don't originate with the director, lots of sound design options, editing choices are sometimes decided on after an assistant has come up with an idea that another assistant likes that gets run up the chain til a director signs off, and then there's the score, which most directors don't really have the knowledge base to contribute to outside of basic "Make it sound more like x" direction.

"Auteur Theory" works a little better when you have a director doing like, 6 or 7 different jobs (Writer/Producer/Editor/DP/Director) but most directors don't do that.

Now, if we were talking modern-day television series, I could see an argument for Auteur Theory sticking a little bit harder, because showrunners are putting their thumbs on almost every decision even if their only credit is often "Executive Producer," but even those guys admit that what makes their product so great is the collaborative nature of the filmmaking.

Mononoke

Banned

I really don't get this. I just don't. I'm an atheist, and yeah I tend to roll my eyes when people think god had a part in their success. But look. What did the guy really say?

I. He respects and holds on to his beliefs.

II. He lives for his family.

III. He's always chasing after the best version of himself (ie. he's always trying to better himself as a person).

How the hell is that narcissistic in any manner? I've seen backlash on this speech, and I don't get it. I thought it was one of the most eloquent and heartfelt speeche's I've heard at an award show. It was articulate, to the point, and had a message. It wasn't the typical industry circlejerk that you typically get. I just thought it was a really humble and well thought out speech. Yet some people are talking about how narcissistic and crazy it was.

But I dunno. To me, rambling was Jared Leto, where he continued on and on thanking everything. To the point it got uncomfortable.

How the hell is that narcissistic in any manner? I've seen backlash on this speech, and I don't get it. I thought it was one of the most eloquent and heartfelt speeche's I've heard at an award show. It was articulate, to the point, and had a message. It wasn't the typical industry circlejerk that you typically get. I just thought it was a really humble and well thought out speech. Yet some people are talking about how narcissistic and crazy it was.

People don't want actual heartfelt moments from their actors. They want them to play a role at all times in public life. Awards ceremonies included. So when he gave people a glimpse into who he is, what he believes, and how it helps him, people are freaked out. If you can't attach your own narrative onto the actor the illusion is broken.

Fuck the haters. Dude gave a fantastic speech and seems like an awesome person with solid perspective on his life. He was unafraid to show his real self. That's awesome.

To a degree, yeah, but even in post production, there are a LOT of voices pitching in, voices that aren't necessarily the directors' first and foremost.

Lots of VFX are given a human touch that don't originate with the director, lots of sound design options, editing choices are sometimes decided on after an assistant has come up with an idea that another assistant likes that gets run up the chain til a director signs off, and then there's the score, which most directors don't really have the knowledge base to contribute to outside of basic "Make it sound more like x" direction.

"Auteur Theory" works a little better when you have a director doing like, 6 or 7 different jobs (Writer/Producer/Editor/DP/Director) but most directors don't do that.

Now, if we were talking modern-day television series, I could see an argument for Auteur Theory sticking a little bit harder, because showrunners are putting their thumbs on almost every decision even if their only credit is often "Executive Producer," but even those guys admit that what makes their product so great is the collaborative nature of the filmmaking.
By your logic, an artist making collages isn't really an author either. (Not exactly the same but you see what I'm getting at.)

Mononoke

Banned
People don't want actual heartfelt moments from their actors. They want them to play a role at all times in public life. Awards ceremonies included. So when he gave people a glimpse into who he is, what he believes, and how it helps him, people are freaked out. If you can't attach your own narrative onto the actor the illusion is broken.

Fuck the haters. Dude gave a fantastic speech and seems like an awesome person with solid perspective on his life. He was unafraid to show his real self. That's awesome.

I mean, I don't believe in God. And I still see nothing wrong with him having his beliefs and speaking about it. Not like he told people they are wrong if they don't believe in God. Hell, I have respect for Christians that actually respect their faith, and live by it. To me, it shows honest dedication to what you believe in (and that belief can be anything). I respect that he put that first in his speech, because that is what means the most to him.

I just find the reaction to it so bizarre.

By your logic, an artist making collages isn't really an author either. (Not exactly the same but you see what I'm getting at.)

The people the artist is sampling from while creating that collage weren't creating those pieces SPECIFICALLY to be used in the collage. The artist didn't hire people to create those found materials for the express purpose of helping them realize an artistic vision.

I see where you're trying to go with the analogy, but it doesn't work:

There's a story. Hundreds/Thousands of people collaborate to try and tell that story. Through that collaboration, the story WILL change, and not always in the way the director wanted or expected. It's hard to make a case for auteur theory when this is the case.

sn00zer

Why is everyone saying poor Leo? Honestly has he ever REALLY been "snubbed"? Cant think of a single year where he was better than the guy that won.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The people the artist is sampling from while creating that collage weren't creating those pieces SPECIFICALLY to be used in the collage. The artist didn't hire people to create those found materials for the express purpose of helping them realize an artistic vision.

I see where you're trying to go with the analogy, but it doesn't work:

There's a story. Hundreds/Thousands of people collaborate to try and tell that story. Through that collaboration, the story WILL change, and not always in the way the director wanted or expected. It's hard to make a case for auteur theory when this is the case.

Auteur theory, in its basest form, is the accusation that a person uses the same methods over and over again. It is almost derogatory, inasmuch as it is suggesting that a person does not have the capability to expand their repertoire.

Sure, you can say that there are hundreds of collaborators - that if the catering is bad, maybe that would make a gaffer sick, and then the lighting in a scene will look like shit - but there is usually a central vision that guides the rest of the crew.

I mean, when people say "Hitchcock shot", they use that term because Hitchcock was fond of using that shot in his films. Did many people work on his films? Of course. But there are things that he did that are unique to him, or at least are found throughout his filmography, which allows critics to pick up on his patterns.

1cvmnaA.png

Kibbles

Just saw Ellen and Jared Leto and her said Harrison Ford got pizza all over his shirt >_< Poor guy, was so excited for the pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom