• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I thought the characters in 12 years a slave were fairly 1 dimensional and did not accurately represent people's mindset during that era but were mostly fueled by stereotypes (except epps), anyone else? Either way, great movie and deserving of the best picture award

I thought that many of the characters were archetypal outside of Northup. Only Lupita and Fassbender's acting really elevates them out of these archetypes (Cumberbatch was particularly disappointing). It didn't really bother me because it was about Solomon's journey (as an audience proxy) and the dehumanising effect of slavery.

I think I discovered the secret to me enjoying the Oscars non-ironically; stay off GAF. For the first time since I joined up five years ago, I elected not to read and post in the GAF thread every two minutes. Instead I checked in briefly once every 45 minutes or so, and man was that a good decision. To my shock, it added to my enjoyment of the show to not post snarky comments about it after every single joke and award :p

Overall I thought the show was fun and think Ellen did a great job. Hosting the Oscars has to be one of the most nerve-wracking gigs on the planet, even if you've done it before. I didn't come away annoyed with any of the winners either, all well deserved. I went back in this thread afterwards and read some of the reactions and good lord, why so many seemingly take this shit personally is beyond me. Some of the negative reactions after Frozen won were ridiculous, you'd think the animators from The Wind Rises posted on GAF themselves. Once again, as with every awards show, I get the impression that some people watch it with the sole intent of hating everything about it.

The low point for me was probably Idina Menzel's performance, since I was really looking forward to it. First Travolta royally screws her name up, and then she's off key for a chunk of the song and cracks on the last note :/ Real bummer. But again, it's the Oscars, nerves can get the best of anyone. I actually enjoyed most of the speeches as well, all around I think it was a good show and a definitive improvement over last year's.
+1

Greatly enjoyed the show with very few exceptions.

So he's never going to win then.
Gotta get lucky with the right film in the right year. If Wolf came out last year, maybe he has a trophy. He has all the talent he needs. He just needs everyone else to be less impressive for 12 months. It will happen.

kmax

American Hustle

10 Nominations

0 wins

tumblr_mnu5h5zgaf1rnjh5ho1_500.gif

alterno69

Banned
It was a good show, first i've watched fully.

I still think the animation category should go, there's not enough good/decent animation stuff every year to warrant a category.

The frozen song performance was cringe worthy, had to change the channel cause it was pretty hard to watch/hear.

I think until Leo plays a role that requires him to change his look dramatically he won't win, someone mentioned earlier how even his hair looks exactly the same in every role. Seems silly but i agree.

Also, i still can't believe Tom Hanks wasn't nominated for Captain Phillips, the ending scene alone deserved the nomination, hell even the award IMO.

Ellen was a good host, i enjoyed the Pizza gag.

Also, i still can't believe Tom Hanks wasn't nominated for Captain Phillips, the ending scene alone deserved the nomination, hell even the award IMO.

Yeah when I finally saw it last month I couldn't believe he wasn't nominated. That last scene was probably the best acting he has ever done.

thefro

Pre-Reddit, Buzzfeed, twitter! etc.. For a long period right after Titanic, Leo got Shia Labeouf levels of hate from all corners. At some point, I guess the switch flipped and 15 years later, people seem to love him.

Catch Me If You Can/Gangs of New York in the same year. I think that's when people started respecting him as a very good actor.

Catch Me If You Can/Gangs of New York in the same year. I think that's when people started respecting him as a very good actor.

Catch me if you can made me take notice. The Departed sold it to me. He's a solid actor that should eventually get an Oscar. He's got years ahead of him.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
+1

Greatly enjoyed the show with very few exceptions.

Gotta get lucky with the right film in the right year. If Wolf came out last year, maybe he has a trophy. He has all the talent he needs. He just needs everyone else to be less impressive for 12 months. It will happen.

I get your point, but that's a bad example. If it was the year before he would be up against DDL and and he would lose even harder.

Acorn

Meryl Streep not winning. She'll dominate the next 4-5 years to punish actresses for daring to be in her category.

There should be a asexual DDL Vs Meryl Streep award.

Welp - two things I'm happy about -

1) American Hustle being completely shot out of the running as the overhyped flick that it was (especially to 12 Years a Slave).

2) Staying far away from the snark in this thread last night - yikes!

GoodlifeX

American Hustle

10 Nominations

0 wins

I'm glad. American Hustle was just okay. Everything about it just screamed Oscar bait. I felt like it went down a check list of everything is 'expected' for an Oscar without being interesting at all.

12 Years a Slave was an amazing movie, and a better one than Gravity.

Really, given the subject matter I expected 12 Years to hit harder. I actually found the movie fairly conventional and boring. Gravity on the other hand essentially had almost no plot yet it had me entertained through the whole movie due to its fantastic cinematography. Personally, I'd say Gravity was a much better film even if the story and writing weren't as good as 12 years.

Doran902

Really, given the subject matter I expected 12 Years to hit harder. I actually found the movie fairly conventional and boring. Gravity on the other hand essentially had almost no plot yet it had me entertained through the whole movie due to its fantastic cinematography. Personally, I'd say Gravity was a much better film even if the story and writing weren't as good as 12 years.

I can see that, I loved both.

12 Years was a longer film that let me connect with the characters and had fantastic performances from a handful of actors and the sets / costumes were very well done.

Gravity was shorter and I thought of it more as a popcorn movie, an explosion of eye candy with a predictable outcome.

Meryl Streep not winning. She'll dominate the next 4-5 years to punish actresses for daring to be in her category.

There should be a asexual DDL Vs Meryl Streep award.

I'm as much a fan of Meryl Streep as anyone, but let's be real here. When's the last time Meryl Streep went out on a limb and played a regular person? Bridges of Madison County?

I'm glad. American Hustle was just okay. Everything about it just screamed Oscar bait. I felt like it went down a check list of everything is 'expected' for an Oscar without being interesting at all.
Yeah not like movies about racism and slavery or gay and AIDS. I'm not saying that those movies suck (they are both fantastic) but many oscars were expected prior the awards, that's because some themes were Oscar-friendly. I don't think American Hustle was screaming oscar bait.There are always exceptions though.

Ridley327

Did Nebraska win something? I didn't watch this. Either way, funny and heartfelt movie.

Sadly no, but it was to be expected. I ranked that one quite highly on my year-end list, too!

That being said, I think they did the movie a lot of favors with the clips they used for June Squibb and Bruce Dern, so that will hopefully get more people to watch it now.

UrokeJoe

Sadly no, but it was to be expected. I ranked that one quite highly on my year-end list, too!

That being said, I think they did the movie a lot of favors with the clips they used for June Squibb and Bruce Dern, so that will hopefully get more people to watch it now.

My reason. So yes it worked.

Liha

Banned
Remedy has an Oscar winner in the house.

We’re proud to announce that we have an Oscar winner in the house! Before joining Remedy, our VFX mastermind Greg worked on the critically acclaimed Alfonso Cuarón film Gravity. The movie received – among many other category wins – an Academy award for visual effects last night.

Our Aussie was part of the award-winning VFX team, and his Down Under touch might be noticeable especially in some of the indoor scenes of the movie. Remedy would like congratulate all of the Oscar winners and nominees for their outstanding work in film during the past year. Thanks for inspiring us, and making our games bursting with pop culture references possible!

If you would like to join our award-winning team of masterminds, you’re in luck! We have a royal amount of open positions available, waiting to be filled by a wide range of talents.
http://remedygames.com/greg-goes-golden/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom