• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread: From Boot Disks to 3dfx Voodoo cards

ultra7k

We bought a 25 mhz SX, 4mb ram system in 1991 I believe. Had it running DOS 6.2, and Win 3.1. Sometime in 95 I think, we upgraded it to 12mb of ram, 2x Creative CD-Rom drive and Soundblaster 16 along with a second hard drive (300mb I think).

I used that computer until...1998. I totally skipped the Win 95 era (used it at my friends house a lot), and jumped right into Win 98 SE.

As a result, I played many a classic game that machine.

Some that come to mind:

The Magic Candle:
Magic%20Candle,%20The_2.png

Conquests of the Longbow:
29148.jpg

Michael Jordan in Flight
104382-MichaelJordaninFlight.jpg

And tons more that I've probably long since forgotten. What a great time to be a gamer.

All this talk about Voodoo makes me mildly sad that I never had one, as far as I know.

Hell, even my current Windows 98 machine has a GeForce MX440 in it instead. (It performs fairly admirably, I think, though not perfectly for every game; the demo for Fur Fighters is a slide show, for instance.)

Great idea for a thread, Jake! Nice way to start it as well. I was so glad to see 'Azrael's Tear' and 'Buried In Time' in the OP--two of my favorites. It's been a fun trip down memory lane reading these posts.

I still have my DOS 5 disks and the Lemmings game that came with my SoundBlaster 2.0:

f1AJHI9.jpg

Now I want to build a 90's retro gaming PC. Subscribed!

Thanks! Picked up Christmas Lemmings on a single floppy for $1.99, standing in line at Computer City. Never played a Lemmings game before that and loved it.

I really wish gog would get Blade Runner, I have the game but the disc is cracked :-/ also it's a real bitch to get working.

It's definitely one of my holy grails of physical PC games. It's a game that can't be re-released due to being licensing limbo that's hard to find and saw no re-releases so all the physical editions of the game out in the wild are the only editions of the game we'll likely ever see.

The original Age of Empires is the same except that story is even sadder; the source code for that game was lost and it can't be recompiled so it will likely never see a re-release either. The physical editions of that game currently out in the wild are the last copies of that game in existence.

Shaneus

Honestly, the very first 3D game to really blow me away on PC was IndyCar Racing:
F6cbgwr.png

Borrowed Mum's work PC (it was a 486/33), dropped the Soundblaster Pro from our Amstrad PC1640 (8086/8MHz) in it and watched the intro and replays for hours on end. Couldn't believe it was coming out of a PC and generated in real time!

But now I can't get the AdLib version of the Indy 500 theme out of my head :/

Damn I didn't know this, so what would it take to get Blade Runner on got? Seems very unlikely if the licensing is that bad :-/.

EA owns Westwood, and the BladeRunner seem to be owned by a group called the Blade Runner Partnership.Surely some sort of deal can be worked out with these two groups? Unless there is some other party involved that complicated things even further?

It would suck of this was another No One Lives Forever scenario where the rights are entangled between multiple groups and nobody really knows who owns what.

I would love to see more older licensed games on GOG though. I really want Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet on there.

Some more games I enjoyed in my youth

Jill of the Jungle
Jill_of_the_Jungle.screenshot.png

Yes, I really like this game. This was one of those games I played the most on cousins PC. Epic should bring back Jill lol.

D/Generation
D_Generation_Coverart.png

I had a hell of a time with this game. I don't remember never completing it

Around the early 2000, I got a 3Dfx voodoo 3 2000. I finally got my own 3D accelerator and I didn't have go to my cousins house for that plus no more software mode for games like Unreal, NFS3/high stakes and another game I had a soft spot
Drakan_-_Order_of_the_Flame_Coverart.png

The game was flawed and hasn't aged well, but really enjoyed playing it at the. It was also one of those games where a 3D card was mandatory to play it. I was glad to have one at the time. There was a sequel, but it was PS2 only (Psygnosis ip who were bought by Sony)

Derekor

Ah, man. You reminded me of the good old days of playing Doom on my 1995 100MHz Pentium. I was far too young to be playing Doom and our computer office was in the far corner of a large, dark basement. The fear I had. But also, the enjoyment.

God I miss those times so dearly...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Two of the biggest games of my childhood -

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid. I got a copy of it when my parents bought a Compaq Presario back in 1995. I played the hell out of that thing, and loved the level creator it came with.

flak57

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid. I got a copy of it when my parents bought a Compaq Presario back in 1995. I played the hell out of that thing, and loved the level creator it came with.

I spent a lot of time and made a bunch of fun levels, but then the copy protection on one of those shitty 250 game discs (had already installed on a prev comp) forced us to wipe the computer.

Lost everything, still pissed about it.

derFeef

Unreal was really... unreal.
I remember I was in the "boycott 3dfx" camp, can't remember all the details of what was available at the time though. Those Diamond Viper cards came way later, no?

fester

Banned
Unreal was really... unreal.
I remember I was in the "boycott 3dfx" camp, can't remember all the details of what was available at the time though. Those Diamond Viper cards came way later, no?

3dfx was trying to build things around their proprietary Glide api (as opposed to OpenGL or DirectX) which was kind of bullshit. I held out as long as I could with cards like the Diamond Stealth II S220 and Matrox G400. The Diamond card with a Rendition Verite chip had someone write a Glide wrapper for it, which was clever and let me play some additional games with it. But in the end the appeal of having a couple of Voodoo 2s in SLI was too attractive to pass up.

lazygecko

I ran Unreal on a 133mhz (pretty sure the min requirements were 166). Had to reduce the window size a lot to get a playable framerate.

Here's a forgotten sim game I enjoyed back in the day: Constructor

4bejmx.jpg

It was like a suburban Sim City with a competitive angle and plenty of black humor thrown in. The premise is that you kickstart your career by borrowing money from the mob (I think several of these games do that... like Pizza Tycoon), and you have a rival constructor on the same map and you both try to sabotage eachother. Tactics include sending a hippie to throw a party outside a burning building which distracts any dispatched firemen.

Ianan

I was all about the "The incredible machine" games when I was a kid, I had no idea what I was doing and used to make random shit. I had a metal case full of floppy's with creations from that game I made, simply labelled "Top Secret Plans".

wazoo

3dfx was trying to build things around their proprietary Glide api (as opposed to OpenGL or DirectX) which was kind of bullshit.

When the 3DFX launched, it had support for DOS games and under Windows, DirectX was crap for a very long time. As for OpenGL, there was support very fast (Quake was GLQuake and was a big push for 3DFX sales).

3DFX GLide made DirectX much better by competition, and at least there was some solution early on.

The nostalgia is hitting hard in this thread.

That Packard Bell PC photo was the exact model I had back in mid to late 90's. Pretty sure it played the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games up to Alliance without slowdown. But damn, did Windows '95 (then '98 SE) crash hell of a lot.

Great thread, OP.

Nyx

Not sure if mentioned yet, in 1991 we got Mad TV:

A TV station tycoon game where you had to think of the schedule, create shows, build offices etc. Really enjoyed that!

cr0w

Old Member
Could never get Blood 2 to run worth a shit on my old Pentium 1. It lacked the horror comedy feel the first one did so well.

Khaz

Maybe you guys can help me. I remember reading a preview for a futuristic racing game called XLR8. The screens looked pretty but I've never heard of it ever again. Maybe it was cancelled, or given another name, I don't know.

Eh... honestly, I'd sooner take the console versions of Powerslave - now that one's an unsung classic. This one... well, I've tried it a few times, but the control scheme seems rather inflexible (and I don't recall there being any mouselook, either), which always immediately puts me off to it.

Though I am amused how the PC version has a lives system, while the console versions (where you'd probably expect a lives system) instead has a Doom/Quake-like "just restart the level you're on indefinitely" system (though you keep the items you started the level with, unlike Doom and its pistol starts).

Maybe you guys can help me. I remember reading a preview for a futuristic racing game called XLR8. The screens looked pretty but I've never heard of it ever again. Maybe it was cancelled, or given another name, I don't know.

I'm wonder if Black Falcon would know. He made a complete list of futuristic Racing Games. I don't see that listed but he might know of another name.

I've never heard of this game before, but after doing some web searching, I managed to find a mention of this game here:
https://archive.org/stream/PC_Zone_59_January_1998/PC_Zone_59_January_1998_djvu.txt The game was being developed by a team named Speedworks for the publisher Europress, but I caen't find anything online about Speedworks beyond this and a few mentions of their name attached to this game, and sites like GameFAQs or Mobygames don't list this as a title Europress published, so I presume they probably went under and the game never released? What did it look like though, I can't find any screenshots.

This other article: https://archive.org/stream/PC.Games.N071.1998.08-fl0n/PC.Games.N071.1998.08-fl0n_djvu.txt mentions that 'you can even drive on the ceiling of a tunnel' if Google Translate is correct, which makes me think of Rollcage, though this game apparently was a motorcycle racing game. I doubt there's any connection to ATD's Rollcage though...

I'm wonder if Black Falcon would know. He made a complete list of futuristic Racing Games. I don't see that listed but he might know of another name.
On that note, I wonder how many futuristic racing games have updated in the now several years since I last updated that list...

Anyone else play these in their school computer lab?

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/screenshots/s/super-solvers-treasure-mountain-s4/super-solvers-treasure-mountain_16.png[img]

[img]http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/26793-super-solvers-midnight-rescue-dos-screenshot-watch-out-for.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Yes! I mentioned these earlier in the thread. I love these games when I was a kid. We had Treasure Mountain on the computers when I was in elementary school. After the teacher was done giving their computer lessons, we would all go spend the rest of the time playing TM lol.

Tarin02543

I remember saving up lots of belgian francs for a Diamond Voodoo2 8mb.

Running QuakeGL for the first time....my eyes had sugar overdose

No Geoff Crammond Grand Prix under racing makes me sad. That was iconic!

f1gp.jpg

wow. Sank countless hours in this one. What a game!

By the way, great OT. It's incredible the amount of 'tude and screaming faces pouring out of those boxes and covers. What weird times were the '90!
It's not that surprising that most people that grew up in that generation, like me, verge a bit on the sad-depressed-side of things now that we live in much more "quaint" times.
Also, the amount of false advertisement back then was incredible, now we have digitalfoundry and we freak out over every pixel of a bullshot.

Khaz

I've never heard of this game before, but after doing some web searching, I managed to find a mention of this game here:
https://archive.org/stream/PC_Zone_59_January_1998/PC_Zone_59_January_1998_djvu.txt The game was being developed by a team named Speedworks for the publisher Europress, but I caen't find anything online about Speedworks beyond this and a few mentions of their name attached to this game, and sites like GameFAQs or Mobygames don't list this as a title Europress published, so I presume they probably went under and the game never released? What did it look like though, I can't find any screenshots.

This other article: https://archive.org/stream/PC.Games.N071.1998.08-fl0n/PC.Games.N071.1998.08-fl0n_djvu.txt mentions that 'you can even drive on the ceiling of a tunnel' if Google Translate is correct, which makes me think of Rollcage, though this game apparently was a motorcycle racing game. I doubt there's any connection to ATD's Rollcage though...

It did look a bit like P.O.D., which made me question my sanity for years as I thought maybe the game never existed and I just dreamed about it. The vehicles looked completely different though. I threw away all my old magazines years ago sadly.

Top Bottom